Bose 601 Series I: Need repair advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a newbe in this forum and searched before posting, so forgive me if I missed a previous post on this subject.

Just pulled my old Bose 601's out of the closet after 10 years. I bought them in 1977 brand new. The Rubber cones were bad on the woofers when I put them away ( couldn't force myself to sell/throw out). Does anyone know how I can repair or replace the woofers in them?

Are they worth repairing ?

Always thought they had great sound, would like to fix and start using them again.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
http://cgi.ebay.com/Foam-Speaker-Sur...-/150579792320

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #3 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. But I am looking to do it right or not at all....

Heard of simplyspeakers too, but don't want to waste my time & money if it isn't worth it.

Can it be done right?
post #4 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Are the cones themselves bad or just the surrounds? If it's just the surrounds then they'll repair just fine.

post #5 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM

Liked: 11
If you think your Bose 601 are worth saving, check this out:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/OCSyes.html

Good Luck,

Bill C
post #6 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Bose 601 are very much worth saving.

You could take the woofers out(which you have to do anyway) and take them to pretty much ANY electronics repair facility. You can buy the woofer surrounds yourself, or let a shop do it.
post #7 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwinner850 View Post

Thanks for your reply. But I am looking to do it right or not at all....

Why would you respond to his Ebay link with this ^ reply? LOL @ "do it right or not at all...", as you'd be the one doing it. That kit he linked is actually very inexpensive, and I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Replacing speaker foam surrounds isn't rocket science, and it just takes a bit of time and patience... but is rather easy.
post #8 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx123 View Post

Why would you respond to his Ebay link with this ^ reply? LOL @ "do it right or not at all...", as you'd be the one doing it.

Either:

1) the OP has a very low opinion of his own handiwork.
or
2) the OP needs to understand that even the high end speaker repair shops use the same method.
post #9 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO the Series I 601 are some of the best speakers Bose ever made. I wouldn't put a ton of money into them but if you like the sound and have a place in your home where the direct reflecting feature will work properly then get them repaired. Room layout and speaker placement is critical with a 601.

You can replace the woofer surrounds yourself if you're handy or have it done cheap. I Just wouldn't put much more than $150 into the repair because speaker technology has improved in the last 30 years.
post #10 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

IMO the Series I 601 are some of the best speakers Bose ever made. I wouldn't put a ton of money into them but if you like the sound and have a place in your home where the direct reflecting feature will work properly then get them repaired.

My local dealer has a pair of the first series Bose 301 - I will try and
listen to them this week - I know he will want an arm an leg for them.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #11 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

My local dealer has a pair of the first series Bose 301 - I will try and
listen to them this week - I know he will want an arm an leg for them.

The 301's are/were very decent "book shelf" speakers (that's what I'd call them, even though they're not considered so) for their price range, but I'm sure you know that they're not even close to 601's. I had a pair (301s) in the early 80's and used them for rear surrounds (the Dolby pro logic days)

As a non-Bose hater here, I've always thought Bose were wonderful "background level" listening speakers. For the right application, they direct/reflecting sound is hard to beat, imo. For the haters, lol, who don't understand my sentiments here, let me put it this way; if I want to seriously listen to music, Bose don't work for me. But when I want to have background (entertaining, for example) music, I'd rather have Bose than the speakers I prefer to use for serious listening. I think most of you will understand what I mean.

Back to the thread.......
post #12 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:

The 301's are/were very decent "book shelf" speakers (that's what I'd call them, even though they're not considered so) for their price range, but I'm sure you know that they're not even close to 601's. I had a pair (301s) in the early 80's and used them for rear surrounds.

Bose is nice for background - When I use to own Bose, they made me
hungary for more.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

My local dealer has a pair of the first series Bose 301 - I will try and listen to them this week - I know he will want an arm an leg for them.

Very cool. The series-1 601 was a bit different animal so just don't expect a similar sound. The problem with the 601 is it has to have a wall a set distance behind it and walls on both sides a set distance from the speakers. Within the limitation of the cheap drivers Bose used back then they did a decent job for 1980ish speakers. Of course they don't hold a candle to modern speakers in the same price class.
post #14 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very cool. The series-1 601 was a bit different animal so just don't expect a similar sound. The problem with the 601 is it has to have a wall a set distance behind it and walls on both sides a set distance from the speakers. Within the limitation of the cheap drivers Bose used back then they did a decent job for 1980ish speakers. Of course they don't hold a candle to modern speakers in the same price class.

All Bose speakers are effected (and largely dependent) by adjacent wall placement. I mean, the "reflecting" part of the direct/reflecting equation depends on it.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheap speakers, unless you're the one who recently posted about their "untreated paper" being almost criminal (I can't recall who posted it, but I responded to it appropriately ). Bose drivers hold up as well as anyone's who use any substance for the cone itself. Anyone who has owned them will testify to that. Now, their surrounds...like any others foam surrounds, will rot in due time...just like anyone else who uses foam surrounds. And truly, paying more money than required for a driver is..well, stupid. It's like using 10g wire in your speaker crossovers. Awesome, but totally unnecessary and adds zero value to performance. And as far as I've ever known, the people who don't like Bose don't like them because of their "sound", but I'm not familiar with anyone ever taking serious issue with their build quality as it relates to endurance.
post #15 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All Bose speakers are effected (and largely dependent) by adjacent wall placement. I mean, the "reflecting" part of the direct/reflecting equation depends on it.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheap speakers, unless you're the one who recently posted about their "untreated paper" being almost criminal (I can't recall who posted it, but I responded to it appropriately ).

Nope wasn't me. I've never heard of much going wrong besides the woofer surround foam rotting but that's a common problem with many speakers of that era. I was referring to the low cost (3"?) tweeters Bose used in most of their speakers back then. They used 8 of them (and four 8" woofers) in a pair of $650/pr 601s so I guess they had to keep the cost down.
post #16 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
To the OP... give Bose a call. They may make an offer (at a resonable price) to exchange the 601's. From my experience in the past, the have been very open to replacement with rotted surrounds.

With "out of warranty" speakers, I personally have had 901's exchanged. My brother-in-law had 301's exhanged and my friend (which I bought as a wedding gift in 1978) had the same option. All reasonably priced.

It's worth a try.
post #17 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope wasn't me. I've never heard of much going wrong besides the woofer surround foam rotting but that's a common problem with many speakers of that era.

LOL, cool. Yesh, this guy went off on some tangent about the "cheap, untreated paper". I found a site that he may have read from that made their whole point in life slamming Bose, lol. I just can't figure how someone who is capable of logic jumps from "discovering some secret flaw" in their product, and uses it to summarily dismiss decades of success world renown....whether he likes them or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

To the OP... give Bose a call. They may make an offer (at a resonable price) to exchange the 601's. From my experience in the past, the have been very open to replacement with rotted surrounds.

With "out of warranty" speakers, I personally have had 901's exchanged. My brother-in-law had 301's exhanged and my friend (which I bought as a wedding gift in 1978) had the same option. All reasonably priced.

It's worth a try.

Never heard this. Pretty cool. And absolutely....a phone call is worth making to find out!
post #18 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Someone on this forum, about a month or two ago, linked an article from Sound and Vision magazine. This article listed speaker cost to price ratio. Bose was about 80-90% overhead, by far the highest of any name brand (I think Klipsch was 40% or something). Maybe none of this was true when the you bought your 601s...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #19 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Someone on this forum, about a month or two ago, linked an article from Sound and Vision magazine. This article listed speaker cost to price ratio. Bose was about 80-90% overhead, by far the highest of any name brand (I think Klipsch was 40% or something). Maybe none of this was true when the you bought your 601s...

I wouldn't be surprised... but in the audio world of business, none of that is even relevant (it'd be interesting to know how such proprietary info was come by in the first place, but that's another subject). A company in business as long as Bose should be able to make speakers much more efficiently and at a lower cost of any newer, smaller...or start-up company (just to name 3 examples where the premise is irrelevant and without proper context). But back to the point; if you've protected (and man, have they! They carefully and steadily imposed "X" pricing that vendors could not drop below, or the vendor would lose their "privilege " to sell their product) their brand effectively while increasing productivity along the way....and the market dictates that you can keep elite pricing..... You know what I mean? IOW, their job isn't to look for ways to drive their own prices down. And I'd be quite certain that their cost ratio has changed over time, especially since the beginning years.

Man, it seems some people just love to hate Bose. While I've thought they were largely overpriced on most items they sell since the beginning, I harbor no hate for them. There's always a market for a product, and these people have controlled said market in a brilliant way. Absolutely brilliant. People can dislike their sound, hate their design and otherwise hate them all they want to, but to deny the fact that their marketing strategy and tight control on the selling of their products would be ignorance at its finest. Kind of like how so many people hate Walmart, yet they're probably the greatest example of pure capitalism at its best.
post #20 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

One exception to your argument. Walmart gives you a fair trade for your money. Bose is a complete ripoff. They give you a substandard product at a premium price. Value conscious shoppers go to Walmart. Bose preys off the ignorance of people by making them think they've gotten a superior product at a fair price. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

post #21 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all! I do appreciate everyone's opinions. I think we'll order up the foam kits and give it a try.

Thanks again!
post #22 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

One exception to your argument. Walmart gives you a fair trade for your money. Bose is a complete ripoff. They give you a substandard product at a premium price. Value conscious shoppers go to Walmart. Bose preys off the ignorance of people by making them think they've gotten a superior product at a fair price. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

That is not an exception to "my" argument. It's simply an opinion of yours. You see, in a capitalistic society....people have a choice in both cases; you can choose to shop at Walmart...or not. Or you can choose to buy Bose products...or not. I'm also pretty sure that millions of Bose owners worldwide, as well as Bose owners and lovers here wouldn't appreciate your characterizing them as all being ignorant .

I'm just glad that Bose is the only manufacturer who thinks their products are worth much more than their rival counterparts .
post #23 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwinner850 View Post

Thanks to all! I do appreciate everyone's opinions. I think we'll order up the foam kits and give it a try.

Thanks again!

The kit will come with instructions. Just follow them and you'll be fine. Seriously, it's not hard to do, and you'll feel great after doing it yourself...and for only $25! Let us know how it turns out for you.
post #24 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bose preys off the ignorance of people by making them think they've gotten a superior product at a fair price.

Back in the old days...

I got my 901 III's for $725 with a trade in with JBL L36's in 1976 at local dealer.

Experienced foam rot in 1987. Out of warranty.

Called Bose and they offered 901 VI's for $325. They paid shipping both ways.

Still using the 901's today. Perhaps not superior, but pretty good for a few decades of service.

EDIT:
Just to note, I kept (and keep) all receipts. Made it all much easier.
post #25 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is not an exception to "my" argument. It's simply an opinion of yours. You see, in a capitalistic society....people have a choice in both cases; you can choose to shop at Walmart...or not. Or you can choose to buy Bose products...or not. I'm also pretty sure that millions of Bose owners worldwide, as well as Bose owners and lovers here wouldn't appreciate your characterizing them as all being ignorant .

I'm just glad that Bose is the only manufacturer who thinks their products are worth much more than their rival counterparts .

One problem. I can prove their product is inferior.

http://intellexual.net/bose.html

post #26 of 42 Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One problem. I can prove their product is inferior.

http://intellexual.net/bose.html
LOL, I guess you were the one that posted about the untreated paper? Dude, all you're doing is posting a link to site that is dedicated to hating Bose (the same one I found last week). If that's what you set out to "prove" (that there's a site that says its so), then you win. However, if you'll employ critical thinking for just a moment, you'll realize the futility in subscribing to an article that was written decades after the fact that millions of people have bought and enjoyed their speakers for decades. You know, like Ratman just attested to above? Of course, feel free to tell him he's ignorant and that the speakers he's enjoyed for a few decades are inferior. Yes, I'm sure he'll realize that you're "right". That's like someone saying they can prove that blue is an inferior color to red. Please, think about what you're trying to twist from "inferior" as in minute points that have never translated into hoards of people complaining about buying these speakers. Critical thinking...try it.

Your somewhat humorous hatred for a company's product has blinded you into making illogical and totally pointless comments.
post #27 of 42 Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope. I never posted about papaer cones being inferior. Since most of mine have paper, I guess I would be a self-loather then. If you'd have really read through the article you would have seen the guy was giving objective measurements, not hyperbolic opinion. The only point I was trying to make is that measurements prove the inferior nature of Bose products. You want to be a bose fan? That's fine with me. I just don't care for companies that tout the superiority of their products when it can be clearly demonstrated that they are not. If bose charged what their product is worth, wouldn't have a problem with it. I guess I'm just a horrible person for expecting a little truth in advertising.

BTW, their old products were just fine, not outstanding mind you. But at least you got a fair trade for your hard earned $. It's called AV science for a reason. We love the science part here. And Bose cannot live up to that part.

post #28 of 42 Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want to base your "science" on an article that's focused on that particular model/system, that's fine. I would agree that the AM systems are overpriced and not all what they are marketed to be.

OTOH... I disagree that the 301's, 501's, 601's and 901's can be judged by that article or the Bose name alone. They do have a respected professional line of products as well a some commercial. IMHO, you can't fairly bash the entire product line based on one article specific to AM systems.

I'm sure others will "contribute" to this thread by jumping onto the BBB (Bose Bashers Bandwagon) with all of the terms used to describe Bose. It may make them feel better or smarter, but really doesn't help the OP at all.

EDIT:
I found it comical that that link has been posted 205 times since 2003.
post #29 of 42 Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope. I never posted about papaer cones being inferior. Since most of mine have paper, I guess I would be a self-loather then.

I guess it was another Bose Basher that posted it. It appear that you all refer to this particular...ahem..article with objective measurements. Getting to that now:

Quote:

If you'd have really read through the article you would have seen the guy was giving objective measurements, not hyperbolic opinion.

Are you serious? Do you actually know what "unbiased" means? Do you even understand the word "definitive", as opposed to "pulling something out of your ass"? (not you, but the author )

Let's see:

"As a part of a growing sect of audio enthusiasts who detest the Bose Corporation..." Oh yeah, this is quite scientific and..um..measured. You always know you're going to get an unbiased opinion when an "objective" article starts out with this. Yes, indeed.

But it gets much better:

"For starters the cubes are made of what Bose once claimed to be "revolutionary new space-aged paper" when my own observations lead me to believe that they are nothing more than dyed Manila hemp"

Let's see..."Bose once claimed it" (but not even a source cited for when they did...of course). Nice, but I especially love the next scientific and unbiased line, "lead me to believe" part, because that translates into "I have no freaking clue, but I just said I thought it, therefore, it is so". Excellent! Quite measured!

To continue not far under The Hard Cold Facts part!:

"This six-speaker unit costs $1299.99 USD MSRP. From dissecting it, I can tell you it costs $100, no more than $150 tops, to assemble"

I translate this ^ to mean...once again..."I' have no real clue as to how much it might cost to put together, but I'm going to guess "X' much...and then say maybe "X" much, tops, to give me some wiggle room since I have no real numbers." LOFL Real science here....

Flying_fool, not to make fun of anyone's education level, but trust me when I tell you this; that article is more than filled with wild-ass guessing and fluff, than it is of anything even resembling what any objective journalist would call facts. Objective measurements, not hyperbolic opinion? Please, go do some reading about what these terms mean. In fact, the guy probably could have made a much more convincing case is he'd not used the very things you think he didn't, lol.

Quote:

The only point I was trying to make is that measurements prove the inferior nature of Bose products. You want to be a bose fan? That's fine with me.

The only thing you've proven is that some guy with a hard-on for Bose posted something on his site. Know anything about who is behind that website? Didn't think so.

And as far as me being a Bose fan? I've stated my feelings here a few times. I guess simply not hating them makes me a fan? I mean, I'd point out the same things if you'd have chosen any other company and used that pathetically colored written piece as your "evidence".

Quote:

I just don't care for companies that tout the superiority of their products when it can be clearly demonstrated that they are not. If bose charged what their product is worth, wouldn't have a problem with it. I guess I'm just a horrible person for expecting a little truth in advertising.

Let's see....you mean to tell me there's a speaker company that claims the superiority of their product...but yet..it isn't? And is overpriced to boot!!?

Say it ain't so! Wait til' the audio community hears about this!

Oh, wait..............

post #30 of 42 Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM

I was selling AV back when the first AM3/5 were being sold, then shortly thereafter the AM7.

I asked a point blank question(cause if you remember DSP was also in it infancy)...

Will the Bose AM series work with DSP modes? (this after we heard the de rigueur speak from the talking heads about their proprietary circuitry)

"Bose does not recommend using EQ in the receivers, and DSP are a form of EQ."

Next question, by another person...

What is the determined delay cause by the direct reflecting technology? Do you have a chart for angles and wall distance?

"Bose Direct Reflecting technology does not create delay"

To wit, many of us got up and walked out of the room.
Reply Speakers