Looking for a wireless surround sound solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm moving into a new apartment and I'd like to get a surround sound system to go along with my new tv. I've got a Panasonic P55GT30 with a wall mount. I'll be hooking up a cablebox, xbox360, and ps3 through HDMI, with the possibility of an HTPC added in later (if I can get it working again). I'd like to have an iPod dock connected in too, but that's low priority. I'll be using the ps3 for bluray/dvd playing (in 3d too).

The path through the apartment goes through the living room and I have hardwood floors in there, so I would like to get wireless rears.

I would prefer to keep things on the cheap side (~$5-600) starting off, and build it up from there. With that in mind I can wait on the rear speakers or sub until later in the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 AM

I've enjoyed excellent sound from this product, they allow for separation of your rears and you can use whatever speakers you like. The amps are decently powered. I wouldn't hook them up to towers, but they give plenty of clean power. Don't let their size fool you. Also, operating on the 5ghz band lessens the chance of interference.
http://www.amphony.com/products/wire...peaker-kit.htm
post #4 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Nobody wants to offer advice on wireless audio because...all of this offers interference...

Your cell phone
Your cordless phone
microwaves
any other wireless you use (even bluetooth)
The blender
The dishwasher

also...

"wireless" isn't truly wireless.

The only way to get something that works is to take a few home and try them, keep the one that works with the least problems.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 AM

But some of us are in a situation that wireless is our only hope.

I'd almost thought the OP was my son which brought me here. I have the same question and am looking for a solution so I'm bumping this thread.

However, is the interference so bad in all situations that make this unbearable?
post #6 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Just put a throw rug over the speaker wire which crosses the floor. Heck it is an apt. Wireless speakers/headphones are useless. They will never be free of interference. I have tried wireless headphones and they are just horrible. Same applies to speakers. You can get flat speaker wires so it wont bulge out of the rug.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM

Well, he does have wireless headphones and they work "good enough" for late nights so he won't bother the neighbors. Yes, it crackles sometimes and drops out when he walks around but, for sitting in front of the TV, it's fine.

One thought, though, is if his location might have a continuous interference he can't fix by moving things around.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 AM

Liked: 12
I am using this for my surrounds. It works very well despite the transmitter being placed within a couple of feet of a wireless router. It is not completely wireless though. The receiving unit must be plugged into an electrical outlet, and a speaker wire must be run between the surround speakers. If you can deal with that compromise in your situation, it may be worth checking out.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 AM

I've seen that but not seen any reviews as to the quality of the unit. I'm going to buy a mid-priced receiver and speakers for him and don't want to sacrifice to much with a tin-can wireless unit.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 11:16 AM

So looking through the reviews on BB's site, there is one audiophile there, CarterfromCOS who gave a detailed technical explanation of the Rocketfish unit. His summary is this:
Quote:

For me, the Rocketfish solves the problem of hiding wires across a room at a cost of quality and hiss (the hiss isn't terrible and may not be noticeable in your environment. It can also be controlled with some trail and error, but you'll sacrifice volume and headroom).

He also mentions his non-audiophile wife can't tell the difference. This is probably true for my son, too, so I'll have to look into this.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Jacques View Post

I've enjoyed excellent sound from this product, they allow for separation of your rears and you can use whatever speakers you like. The amps are decently powered. I wouldn't hook them up to towers, but they give plenty of clean power. Don't let their size fool you. Also, operating on the 5ghz band lessens the chance of interference.

I'm looking into wireless sound system myself right now and I have a friend who has this as well and speaks well of it too. Granted I havent heard it first hand, but I might end up doing the buy-and-return if it doesnt work out. Just chipping in while doing searches on the forum!
post #12 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
don't bother...

run speaker wire... hide it with wiremold... works for me...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page