Starting From Scratch w/ $2-3k what would you buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys!

I was recently introduced to this forum by an associate at Magnolia in a local BB about a month or so ago, and fortunately, or unfortunately for my wallet, the upgrade bug has hit me hard!

Anyway, I am selling all of my current equipment, and starting over from scratch!

I already have the display figured out, which will be a 64 inch Samsung plasma, and now I need to start putting together the sound element of my new home theater!

Keep in mind this will be for Movies and TV mostly, with about 5% music.

I want to know what components you would buy (speakers, center, sub, receiver, power conditioner etc.) and why. This can be anything from a 2.1 to a 7.1 setup, its up to you! In fact I would encourage looking at it as a building a foundation for a good system, because I will have more money in the future for upgrades. Please include a rough total cost to your suggestions.

Now I would prefer to stay under 2k, however, if you are getting a much higher quality setup, for another 500-1000 dollars, then by all means, but please pay attention to the law of diminishing returns!

I will be very curious to see what kind of setups you guys come up with, and the reasoning behind it. I think this thread could serve as a great base for people like me, who do not have the intimate knowledge of speaker products and technology like you guys do, but still wants to build a quality system!

EDIT: My current living room is 16 ft by 14 ft, tile floors, standard 8 ft ceilings, and 3 rather large windows.

The windows will be covered by heavy wood blinds, and will be further covered by heavy dark drapes. There is a large 8ft by 10ft rug to cover the tile, and a fireplace in the room.

The viewing will be happening across the 14 ft area, and from couch positioning to the tv will be 11 ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 06:16 PM

I would spend $500-700(or 800-1000) on the AVR...

If $2000...

Onkyo TX NR609 leads the list(most feature packed AVR for another $150 above its price). Pioneer VSX 1021/1121, Denon AVR 2112 honorable mentions.

KEF iQ speakers.
IQ30(2 pairs), iQ60c

$600 sub...
HSU/SVS/Epik (pick one)

If $3000
NR709/809, Denon 2312/3312, Yamaha RX-A1000(independent crossovers I believe to make use of the towers)

Keep one pair of Iq30 and the 60c
change fronts to...
KEF iQ90

Here, cause of the ability of the fronts, keep the sub but reduce budget to $400
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Liked: 19
welcome!
as a fellow newbie I can honestly say you came to the right place.
I think you will find before anyone can offer any useful suggestions, you will need to provide a bit more info.

What is the size of the space, are there any acoustical issues, for example, tall glass windows, very high vaulted ceilings ect.

you already mentioned your usage percentages which is very helpful!
2k is a good sum to begin with but can be eaten up very quickly if you're not
careful.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, the clearer the picture you have of your future setup, the easier it will be for members to help you.

good luck.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Wonderful reply schan, just the kind of replies I am looking for!

jenkzy, you are correct. There is so much info on this site it makes my head spin!

I edited my original post to include room dimensions. I have read how acoustic treatments can really help the sound, so I did plan on an additional small budget for some acoustic treatments for the walls.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Two pairs of the Focal 705
The 700 center
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=focal

The Epik sub
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

Pioneer 1021 receiver
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDQQ8wIwAQ#

And, I would look at the Yamaha 667
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P2V52M/...g=cnet-3688-20

Get a nice surge protector - and save for the rest.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 473
First thing to do is forget about the power conditioner, unless your locale has very unreliable electricity.

Here is a system you might consider:
Infinity Primus p362 fronts
Infinity Primus c350 center
Infinity Primus p153 bookshelf speakers for rear surrounds

Those speakers shouldn't cost more than $1k
add to that an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX for $550, although that sale only lasts until the 30th, so don't wait too long to jump on that. And a Onkyo TX-S708 for $630. Now you have a bangin' little setup for just a tad over $2k. Alternatively, for the sub and speakers, you could get the Hsu Enthusiast 2 package for $1430 shipped. It'll also be a bangin' lil setup and keep the speaker/sub buying a bit simpler and more friendly.
But there are a lot of good ways to go with 2k, these are just a couple of suggestions that you can't go wrong with.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page