B&W 684s or MA RX-6s for Stereo Music - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have been lurking in these forums for a few years now, and need some help on deciding between these two brands / models. The wife has given me a one time approval to go ahead and buy a pair of floor standers, and I want to make sure I get the best within my budget of about USD 1200.

The B&Ws and the MAs cost almost the same (about USD 1200) where I live, so price is not a deciding factor. Would appreciate if I can get some inputs on these two perform with Music as the main use, with some Home Theatre / Gaming thrown in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerms View Post

Hi all,

I have been lurking in these forums for a few years now, and need some help on deciding between these two brands / models. The wife has given me a one time approval to go ahead and buy a pair of floor standers, and I want to make sure I get the best within my budget of about USD 1200.

The B&Ws and the MAs cost almost the same (about USD 1200) where I live, so price is not a deciding factor. Would appreciate if I can get some inputs on these two perform with Music as the main use, with some Home Theatre / Gaming thrown in.

Sounds like you've seen these at the local Magnolia? If so, were you not able to listen to them?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Sounds like you've seen these at the local Magnolia? If so, were you not able to listen to them?

I live outside the US, and listened to them in a couple of audio stores. Problem is, different stores have different electronics and the acoustics are also different.

Want to know if anybody had both of these or atleast listened to both in the same environment?
post #4 of 33 Old 06-25-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think the RX6's look MUCH better (especially in the rose finish) and sound similar.
I find the highs on the RX6's to be a bit more intense but i'm kinda sensitive to that.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
I really like the typical Monitor Audio sound, but you should definitely listen to them beforehand as some people think they're too bright.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
You'll get no love for B&W at AVS that's for sure, lol. I'm a B&W owner and I thought even their little 685 bookshelf speakers where amazing for their size (great clarity and sounds much bigger than what they look like). But somehow the peeps at AVS don't like them and mostly prefer online only ID brands or home built, heh.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 291
The 684s are good speakers but in a way they are simply the 685s with another 6.5 inch woofer. You will get better bass response than the 685s for sure but that's about it. If it were me I would get the 685s and a $100 pair of stands (the cheapest B&W stand set) rather than the 684s to save some money. If you are set on floorstanders then the 683s would be a better buy out of the 600 series. They are about $300-400 more expensive however.

Ultimately you should buy the set that sounds best to you since you auditioned both speaker sets. That's a good point about the room setup and electronics but you should still have some idea of what sounded best to you.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #8 of 33 Old 06-26-2011, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, lets just say that the wife liked the MAs better than the B&Ws and so did I.

We felt that the music was much more detailed on the RX-6s, and I felt that the B&W was a tad too bright for me. There was a harshness when playing tracks like 'Smooth' by Rob and Santana on the B&Ws whereas the MAs sounded bit more mellowed.

Maybe it's just me or the listening environments at the two dealers?
post #9 of 33 Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the dealer in question have a 30-day return policy? You could simply pick up a pair of the RX-6s you seem to like and have a longer audition at home with your own electronics and setup. If you were for unsatisfied for some reason you could take them back. My guess is that you won't be.

post #10 of 33 Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. We don't have 30 day return policies where I live
post #11 of 33 Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. That's good to know. If you can't do the in-home audition then you really need to be certain on your speaker purchase. Did you listen to the RX-6s with your own music and perhaps some movie demos? Did you listen to them with different combinations of electronics (in this case, perhaps the dealer has a similar amp/preamp or receiver combo)?

post #12 of 33 Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I usually take my own music when I go for auditioning, but don't have control over the electronics. I have a Denon 1610 at home, but the dealer uses a 35w hybrid amp for demos. Is that cause for concern?
post #13 of 33 Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think that's really that much of a concern. There seems to be a debate here on this forum concerning the effect or lack thereof of the amp/receiver on sound. I think it would be beneficial, however, to listen to the speakers on a more similar receiver rather than the amp. What hybrid amp is being used for the demo?

post #14 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

You'll get no love for B&W at AVS that's for sure, lol. I'm a B&W owner and I thought even their little 685 bookshelf speakers where amazing for their size (great clarity and sounds much bigger than what they look like). But somehow the peeps at AVS don't like them and mostly prefer online only ID brands or home built, heh.

I have not seen anyone mentioned anything in this particular thread about ID or home built, so why would you want to drag that subject in this thread? Just provide your praise of the 685/684 and leave it at that. no need to bring the topic that no one was talking about in this thread. Just my opinion.

OP, I think both are fine speakers that will suit you well. If both you and your life liked the MAs a little more, perhaps that is what you should go with. Good luck, and enjoy the music!
post #15 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I personally would go with MA. As for the amp, your Denon will sound different if Audyssey is engaged and you compare it to an amp without it.
post #16 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

I personally would go with MA. As for the amp, your Denon will sound different if Audyssey is engaged and you compare it to an amp without it.

I do understand that 'direct' mode will sound different, and thats the reason I'm going for floor standers. I want to listen to music as recorded, without any 'enhancements'. Having said that, I feel Audyssey comes in handy for movies.

Btw, I placed a deposit for the MA RX6s about an hour ago. Haven't confirmed the colour yet. Can't decide between the Black and Walnut
post #17 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I do understand that 'direct' mode will sound different, and thats the reason I'm going for floor standers. I want to listen to music as recorded, without any 'enhancements'. Having said that, I feel Audyssey comes in handy for movies.

Btw, I placed a deposit for the MA RX6s about an hour ago. Haven't confirmed the colour yet. Can't decide between the Black and Walnut

Which black is your choice-High Gloss or Black Oak veneer?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #18 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

Which black is your choice-High Gloss or Black Oak veneer?

Need to decide between Black Oak or Walnut. High gloss is too bright for me.

Btw, is the Black Oak real wood or some kind of laminate? I assume the walnut finish is real wood?
post #19 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Btw, is the Black Oak real wood or some kind of laminate? I assume the walnut finish is real wood?

The black oak and walnut, as well as natural oak and rosewood are wood veneer finishes. Good looking speaker.
post #20 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

The wood finishes are real wood veneers, I like the Natural oak best. But of the 2 you mentioned I would probably choose Walnut.

The MA website has a list of the finishes. http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/produc...rx8/#/finishes

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #21 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you will pleased with the RX6s. Happy listening.

post #22 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

I do understand that 'direct' mode will sound different, and thats the reason I'm going for floor standers.

- what's the reason for floor standers?

Personally I'm a firm believer in the theory that a dedicated box of an appropriate shape will reproduce 80Hz and lower better than something that is also trying to reproduce all the way up to and beyond 20 kHz (whether floor stander or bookshelf) and that the mains will then do a better job on 80 Hz and up when not tasked with the low stuff..

Quote:

I want to listen to music as recorded, without any 'enhancements'. Having said that, I feel Audyssey comes in handy for movies.

Audyssey doesn't "enhance" the recording, it "fixes" problems in your room making what you hear closer to what was actually recorded then if you listened without it (this of course assume that your romm has issues that need EQ correction). Why do you think the problems in your room will not effect music as much or more than movies?

post #23 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

- what's the reason for floor standers?

Personally I'm a firm believer in the theory that a dedicated box of an appropriate shape will reproduce 80Hz and lower better than something that is also trying to reproduce all the way up to and beyond 20 kHz (whether floor stander or bookshelf) and that the mains will then do a better job on 80 Hz and up when not tasked with the low stuff..

Audyssey doesn't "enhance" the recording, it "fixes" problems in your room making what you hear closer to what was actually recorded then if you listened without it (this of course assume that your romm has issues that need EQ correction). Why do you think the problems in your room will not effect music as much or more than movies?

I will be using a sub alongwith the floorstanders. I believe a floorstander with two 6"drivers and a tweeter in a larger cabinet will do a better job of reproducing sound than a book shelf. And btw, my current book shelf speakers have a single 3.5" driver and a tweeter

As for Audyssey, yes I agree with you on the Dynamic Eq part. But I still prefer to listen to music in "Direct mode" And if the RX6s dont reproduce bass to my liking, I can always turn to "stereo" mode to have Audyssey do the bass management. However, "Dynamic Volume" comes in very handy when watching movies especially at night.
post #24 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

I will be using a sub alongwith the floorstanders. A floorstander with three drivers and a larger cabinet will do a better job of reproducing sound than a book shelf. And btw, my current book shelf speakers have a single 3.5" driver and a tweeter

As for Audyssey, yes I agree with you on the Dynamic Eq part. But I still prefer to listen to music in "Direct mode" And if the RX6s dont reproduce bass to my liking, I can always turn to "stereo" mode to have Audyssey do the bass management. However, "Dynamic Volume" comes in very handy when watching movies especially at night.

What sub do you have?

Also, bass management (using crossovers) should be independent of Audyssey so you should be able to use a sub for lows and still have no EQ.

So, get a Rythmik F12, set your RS6 to small and crossover somewhere between 60 and 80, and enjoy better 2 channel than I have Just my $0.02

post #25 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

What sub do you have?

Also, bass management (using crossovers) should be independent of Audyssey so you should be able to use a sub for lows and still have no EQ.

So, get a Rythmik F12, set your RS6 to small and crossover somewhere between 60 and 80, and enjoy better 2 channel than I have Just my $0.02

I have a Mordant Short Carnival 5 sub and Carnival 1s for front and rear with carnival 3 centre. I'm upgrading the LCR combo now, will buy the sub for xmas.
post #26 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

More on the topic of speaker finish.

My existing 5.1 set is finished in Black Oak. I'm buying a new LCR combo, which means the sub and rear will continue to be black oak irrespective of what finish I chose for the LCR.

When I buy the sub sometime around xmas, I might choose another brand whose wood colours may not be the same as MA. I don't see a reason to upgrade the rears.

What do I do in this situation? Go for the walnut finish that I like and risk having a mismatched 5.1 set?

Or shall I play it safe and opt for RX6s and RX Centre in Black Oak?

This is tougher than choosing the speakers
post #27 of 33 Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:

More on the topic of speaker finish.

What do I do in this situation? Go for the walnut finish that I like and risk having a mismatched 5.1 set?

Or shall I play it safe and opt for RX6s and RX Centre in Black Oak?

This is tougher than choosing the speakers

I'd say if you are using it mostly for movies, then it may be best to keep it safe and go with black oak.

But if you do listen to some music in 2.1 and you really do like the other finish, then it may be worth it to go for another finish. good luck on making your final choice on the speaker finish.
post #28 of 33 Old 07-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

OP if your using a sub did you ever consider or audition the 10's(if they carry them)? The 10's might be in your price range and with a sub the 10's are outstanding! I have not had the chance to listen to the new RX6's(since no one here carries them) but I will say IMO there was a signifcant difference between the GS's and the RS's. I would make sure they would be in your price range before you audition them though
post #29 of 33 Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Superman,

Thanks for your suggestion, but I have already ordered the RX6s.

Can you mention the specific model you are talking about? I may audition them just for the pleasure of listening to a fine pair of speakers.
post #30 of 33 Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Superman,

Thanks for your suggestion, but I have already ordered the RX6s.

Can you mention the specific model you are talking about? I may audition them just for the pleasure of listening to a fine pair of speakers.
I was talking about the GS10's. Since the new ones are coming out,you might get a good price on them now. here is a link to on line dealer:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....10-Bookshelf-S
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page