Speaker selector with wireless speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I'm doing audio setup for a friend--she has a stereo receiver hooked up to two 4 channel speaker selectors, and all of their ports are currently being used.

She just ordered a pair of wireless speakers to use outside--I was planning on having her upgrade one of the two speaker selectors to a 6 channel speaker selector.

First of all, generally speaking, is there any reason I should have trouble moving the old connections from one of the selectors to the new one--ie. are the speaker selectors generally the same in terms of technical compatibility, etc? I noticed that in her current setup, the speaker wires are terminated with plastic connectors that almost look like ethernet connectors or something (does anyone know what these are)..I figure those should connect just fine to the new speaker selector, or I'll disconnect them and plug the wire in unterminated.

Secondly, are there any problems inherent in hooking up wireless speakers to a speaker selector, or more simply, to a receiver? The transceiver has a 3.5 stereo output. I was planning on outputting from this port to two RCA cables, cutting off the ends of those cables, and converting them to pin connectors to plug into the speaker selector. Is there any reason this shouldn't work? Are receivers/speaker selectors generally designed to be led through hard wiring to speakers?

Thanks a lot for any help,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 AM

if the speakers are wireless, they should be self-powered. the transmitter usually requires an input signal to transmit the signal to the speakers and their receiver (and amp). I believe plugging anything directly into a speaker output in this scenario could be disastrous.

If you want to know if a product is "good", please tell us your definition of "bad" for an understood point of reference. Do you want subjective opinions or objective facts?
- FunHouse Media
post #3 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Ditto on disastrous...

The minimum you will ruin the speaker selector, wireless transmitter and possibly the receiver.

At the maximum, you could cause a fire...

Keyword here..."wireless" means "without a wire".

Speaker wire...is wire.

Tell us this receiver...and we'll tell you how not to destroy anything.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page