Which set of Polk speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having trouble deciding which set of Polk speakers will be better for my set up.

There's the RM6750:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Cha...676928&sr=1-25

And the RM705:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM7...8676830&sr=1-7

I see on amazon.com that they both have a list price of $599.99, but their current prices are $214 and $249.99, respectively. Besides the slight price difference what are the differences?

I'm think of hooking them up to a Pioneer VSX-820-K:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-82...=5336055023-20

The room this will go in is about 22'x24' and I'm primarily going to playing games (xbox360), watching BD and Fios HDtv.

Any suggestions on which of those Polk speakers would be best for my setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The RM6750 is a better speaker than the RM705. It is older and doesn't look as stylish but it is a better speaker due to the larger drivers on the satellites.

Of course with a room that is 22' x 24' I wouldn't put either speaker in there. I'd go with bookshelf speakers. That's going to be tough to fill a room that size with little satellite speakers.

At least get bigger speakers for your front three, then use the satellites as surrounds.

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The RM6750 is a better speaker than the RM705. It is older and doesn't look as stylish but it is a better speaker due to the larger drivers on the satellites.

Of course with a room that is 22' x 24' I wouldn't put either speaker in there. I'd go with bookshelf speakers. That's going to be tough to fill a room that size with little satellite speakers.

At least get bigger speakers for your front three, then use the satellites as surrounds.

x2 and I am an owner of the Polk rm6750 with Polk monitor 30's and cs1 as fronts. The rm705 sounds way too small for my taste the rm6750 is better but the monitor 30's is leaps above both
post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

x2 and I am an owner of the Polk rm6750 with Polk monitor 30's and cs1 as fronts. The rm705 sounds way too small for my taste the rm6750 is better but the monitor 30's is leaps above both

Thanks for the replies and advice.

crazyrob, are these the speakers you have? http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

I've been looking at bookshelf speakers now and a center ch speaker and ran across those. Is the sub that's included in the rm6750 package adequate or did you buy an individual sub too?

I'm thinking of just getting the rm6750 right now since expenses a little tight (just bought a new house, new furniture and I'm getting married at the end of July).
post #5 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM

The 6750 will make a decent start to a future 7.1.

Buy it now, get a pair of 30's(or bigger) in the future. Replace the center when you can get to it.

I've been in this "hobby" for 40+ years(starting as a kid with a paper route to buy my first portable 8-track. Used my parents stuff before that. My father and I built Heathkits.). My head would spin if I tried to think back to all the various versions of everything I've had.

Upgrade is the bug of the AV world. Is the 6750 ideal? No. But it is what you can afford. When time comes, you can always move those speakers to the bedroom for a mini-HT for when you and the wife want to watch a move sans the kids.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

The 6750 will make a decent start to a future 7.1.

Buy it now, get a pair of 30's(or bigger) in the future. Replace the center when you can get to it.

I've been in this "hobby" for 40+ years(starting as a kid with a paper route to buy my first portable 8-track. Used my parents stuff before that. My father and I built Heathkits.). My head would spin if I tried to think back to all the various versions of everything I've had.

Upgrade is the bug of the AV world. Is the 6750 ideal? No. But it is what you can afford. When time comes, you can always move those speakers to the bedroom for a mini-HT for when you and the wife want to watch a move sans the kids.

Good suggestions, thanks. The house we're moving into also has a half-finished basement, which I plan to eventually turn into a man-cave, so the smaller speakers would work great down there once I replace them since the room is much smaller.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximaniac View Post
Thanks for the replies and advice.

crazyrob, are these the speakers you have? http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

I've been looking at bookshelf speakers now and a center ch speaker and ran across those. Is the sub that's included in the rm6750 package adequate or did you buy an individual sub too?

I'm thinking of just getting the rm6750 right now since expenses a little tight (just bought a new house, new furniture and I'm getting married at the end of July).
I have Monitor 30's Series ii cause they are better looking and can be had for a better price, $93 shipped and a CS1 Center Series ii, $68 shipped.

Polk RM6750 5.1 can be had for $200 shipped here, better price than amazon...

The RM6750 subwoofer is the week point I will admit and I will be replacing it in the future but I am saving up for a quality subwoofer which might run me close to the $500 so I am dealing with it right now. I will say when I take the time to watch the movie with occassional hard hitting bass it has plenty to hold me over. Thought my room is 14.75' x 13.5' and completely open on one side to the kitchen.

I might want to consider in your spot hunting down a Denon AVR-591 if you can as that receiver will allow you to set an individual crossover for the speakers. The Monitor 30's and CS1 to my ears sound best at 80hz but the RM6750's need to be set at 110-120hz. And your receiver only allows for one blanket crossover. I have the similar issue with my receiver so I just run them all at 80hz though I know I am missing some surround effects
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 353
By the way you can save yourself another $14 by getting your RM6750 at Newegg instead of Amazon. Still Free Shipping too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290066

Afro GT
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
I have Monitor 30's Series ii cause they are better looking and can be had for a better price, $93 shipped and a CS1 Center Series ii, $68 shipped.

Polk RM6750 5.1 can be had for $200 shipped here, better price than amazon...

The RM6750 subwoofer is the week point I will admit and I will be replacing it in the future but I am saving up for a quality subwoofer which might run me close to the $500 so I am dealing with it right now. I will say when I take the time to watch the movie with occassional hard hitting bass it has plenty to hold me over. Thought my room is 14.75' x 13.5' and completely open on one side to the kitchen.

I might want to consider in your spot hunting down a Denon AVR-591 if you can as that receiver will allow you to set an individual crossover for the speakers. The Monitor 30's and CS1 to my ears sound best at 80hz but the RM6750's need to be set at 110-120hz. And your receiver only allows for one blanket crossover. I have the similar issue with my receiver so I just run them all at 80hz though I know I am missing some surround effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
By the way you can save yourself another $14 by getting your RM6750 at Newegg instead of Amazon. Still Free Shipping too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290066
Thanks guys. I always get my computer parts from Newegg. Never even thought to look there for HT stuff. Definitely appreciate the links!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page