baffle wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i understand the concept of constructing a baffle wall. but, after you do this...isn't this effectively making your freestanding speakers "in-wall"? in other words, why not treat the front wall and install in-wall speakers (quality ones). seems this would avoid the necessity of a baffle wall. anybody care to explain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm@silverlink.net View Post

i understand the concept of constructing a baffle wall. but, after you do this...isn't this effectively making your freestanding speakers "in-wall"? in other words, why not treat the front wall and install in-wall speakers (quality ones). seems this would avoid the necessity of a baffle wall. anybody care to explain?

I'm not sure I understand your question 100%, but I'll try to respond based on what I think you're asking.

In-wall speakers are basically (and almost always) coming up with a design to "suffice" when free standing speakers either won't fit or aren't desired...for whatever reason. IOW, they are not optimal for a myriad of reasons, imo (and of course, my sentiments are mostly comparing to large speakers, not small/bookshelf types). This would include the inability to toe the speakers in or out. The cavity itself is usually restricted and not adequate for large drivers, not only often by cubic volume, but also the "shape" of that cubic space. Hoke speakers often have to be moved away from a wall to avoid boomy bass...and this isn't an option with in-wall...which leads to the subject of unalterable mechanical vibration that is inherent in in-wall, and not with free standing. In a very recent thread, the subject of diffraction came up, and this is another reason why an in-wall speaker isn't optimal. The list goes on, but you get the gist of it.

And fwiw, I have 4 in-wall speakers in my basement HT. It was for aesthetic (and spousal) reasons, and not my primary wish . In this application though, they're very satisfying to me.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page