HSU HB-1 Speaker Owners - How do you like these speakers? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 135 Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,212
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

My LXE's were the 330's. I've gotten so used to them, but it was time for a change.

Give the HSU time and make sure there is room behind the HSU to let the rear port breathe
crazyrob425 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 135 Old 11-11-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
m_vanmeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Georgetown, KY
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"crazyrob45".... is there something Freudian in the way your typed your response ???
m_vanmeter is offline  
post #93 of 135 Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,212
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

"crazyrob45".... is there something Freudian in the way your typed your response ???

No just stupid auto correct on my iPad.
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #94 of 135 Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

No just stupid auto correct on my iPad.

I can't stand that autocorrect either. Half of the time the word they replace it with is not even close to the word I wanted to use.
Smigro is online now  
post #95 of 135 Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deepstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas-Irving, TX (from Nawlins!)
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

So I just go the HB 1's and HC1's for my front stage. These puppies are replacing my 1995 JBL LXE speakers, some might remember these for there titanium arc tweeters. They served their purpose well.

I also own the Onkyo HT RC160 A/V receiver.

So set up the speakers and ran the Audessy 2 calibration. Here are my questions I'm looking help with:

1. After the sound test, it showed the HSU's as full bandwith. Suprised at this since the JBL's tested at 60Hz, and I know the HSU's are also spec'd out with this. Anyone know why this happened?

2. I've seen it's recommended to set the Low Pass Filter on your Sub to 80Hz, for some reason this sounds better at 120HZ? Not sure why that is.

3. Thought the HSU's HB1's are spec'd at 60Hz, it's recommended to set to 80Hz? Anyone have better luck with 60hz (for movies)

4. After all was said and done, the volumes for the speakers were lower than I thought they would. Still messing with calibrating, but initial thoughts are lower,when I've read that they should be higher (comparison to my JBL's)


Overal the sound field has opened and I'm loving them, just few lingering things that are still in my head I'm trying to figure out. The HC1 is HUGE!

A few members, including myself, have found these speakers to play much lower than what is listed on the HSU page. My Audyssey wants to keep them at FULL RANGE as well; however, I changed the crossover point to 80Hz (per THX and Audyssey recs) for movies. I play them full range for music.

I have noticed that after about 50 hours of material the HB1s open up more.

As many have said ,the toe is important with any horn speaker. Play with positioning from wall and toe.

For those that inquire about wall mounts, the AM-40 mounts are mentioned on almost every previous page. With stand mounts, there are probably 100s of options.
deepstang is offline  
post #96 of 135 Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deepstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas-Irving, TX (from Nawlins!)
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
deepstang is offline  
post #97 of 135 Old 11-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Member
 
eccoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had a pair of HB1-MK2s and an HC1-MK2 for a about a week now and so far I'm not as impressed as I hoped to be. They sound fine and I can't really complain about them. But from all the praise I've been reading I expected to be overwhelmed. The new speakers are replacing the front three of my old HSU Ventriloquist speaker system from 2004 and while they sound better, they don't sound much better. The HB1s and HC1 sound fuller and the upper range is clearer but the difference isn't much. I expected the higher frequencies to be bright and crisp but they sound quite flat. I've heard tiny home theater speakers at best buy that have better upper range. And for music I think I like my $200/pair JBL Control 2Ps better as they seem to have a more cohesive sound across the spectrum. With the HB1s I was hoping to get a big, full range sound, but I have to crank the volume to get them loud but even at high volumes they aren't big sounding or full.

I haven't ran the Audyssey setup yet and have only made adjustments manually. I probably have some break in time left as well. I expect that after I use Audyssey the upper range will brighten up a bit and the mid will be more mellow but it won't make these speakers sound entirely different. Still, for under $600 for the front 3 I don't think there's anything better. I do like the speakers and I am only let down by the hype from some of the reviews. I'll need to spend a few thousand to get the sound I want but for now that's not feasible.

Note: My receiver is the Onkyo SR-876 and my sub is an HSU STF-1. Listening to music with the new speakers reminds me of how unmusical the STF-1 sounds. I am surprised that the Positive Feedback reviewer enjoyed my same speaker setup so much. The STF-1 is great for movies but an upgrade to a more expensive HSU sub would help balance the sound better I think.
eccoboy is offline  
post #98 of 135 Old 11-21-2011, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
btinindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccoboy View Post

I've had a pair of HB1-MK2s and an HC1-MK2 for a about a week now and so far I'm not as impressed as I hoped to be. They sound fine and I can't really complain about them. But from all the praise I've been reading I expected to be overwhelmed. The new speakers are replacing the front three of my old HSU Ventriloquist speaker system from 2004 and while they sound better, they don't sound much better. The HB1s and HC1 sound fuller and the upper range is clearer but the difference isn't much. I expected the higher frequencies to be bright and crisp but they sound quite flat. I've heard tiny home theater speakers at best buy that have better upper range. And for music I think I like my $200/pair JBL Control 2Ps better as they seem to have a more cohesive sound across the spectrum. With the HB1s I was hoping to get a big, full range sound, but I have to crank the volume to get them loud but even at high volumes they aren't big sounding or full.

I haven't ran the Audyssey setup yet and have only made adjustments manually. I probably have some break in time left as well. I expect that after I use Audyssey the upper range will brighten up a bit and the mid will be more mellow but it won't make these speakers sound entirely different. Still, for under $600 for the front 3 I don't think there's anything better. I do like the speakers and I am only let down by the hype from some of the reviews. I'll need to spend a few thousand to get the sound I want but for now that's not feasible.

Note: My receiver is the Onkyo SR-876 and my sub is an HSU STF-1. Listening to music with the new speakers reminds me of how unmusical the STF-1 sounds. I am surprised that the Positive Feedback reviewer enjoyed my same speaker setup so much. The STF-1 is great for movies but an upgrade to a more expensive HSU sub would help balance the sound better I think.

This is good feedback. Could just be that the design goals of this speaker (Read trade offs, like every audio component has) do not match what you like. I found the same thing with several different iterations of paradigm speakers, especially with dynamic music or HT. I am now pursuing either buying the upgraded eD cinema 12s or building a high efficient 2 way with a stellar mid woofer and b&c de250 with a waveguide. A good friend built an econowave with mid level drivers and I was truly blown away with the dynamics, full sound (I love strong midbass when I listen to music) and the sweet spot was huge!

Good luck in your quest and it was good to hear a review that was not just glowing!
btinindy is offline  
post #99 of 135 Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deepstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas-Irving, TX (from Nawlins!)
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccoboy View Post

I've had a pair of HB1-MK2s and an HC1-MK2 for a about a week now and so far I'm not as impressed as I hoped to be. They sound fine and I can't really complain about them. But from all the praise I've been reading I expected to be overwhelmed. The new speakers are replacing the front three of my old HSU Ventriloquist speaker system from 2004 and while they sound better, they don't sound much better. The HB1s and HC1 sound fuller and the upper range is clearer but the difference isn't much. I expected the higher frequencies to be bright and crisp but they sound quite flat. I've heard tiny home theater speakers at best buy that have better upper range. And for music I think I like my $200/pair JBL Control 2Ps better as they seem to have a more cohesive sound across the spectrum. With the HB1s I was hoping to get a big, full range sound, but I have to crank the volume to get them loud but even at high volumes they aren't big sounding or full.

I haven't ran the Audyssey setup yet and have only made adjustments manually. I probably have some break in time left as well. I expect that after I use Audyssey the upper range will brighten up a bit and the mid will be more mellow but it won't make these speakers sound entirely different. Still, for under $600 for the front 3 I don't think there's anything better. I do like the speakers and I am only let down by the hype from some of the reviews. I'll need to spend a few thousand to get the sound I want but for now that's not feasible.

Note: My receiver is the Onkyo SR-876 and my sub is an HSU STF-1. Listening to music with the new speakers reminds me of how unmusical the STF-1 sounds. I am surprised that the Positive Feedback reviewer enjoyed my same speaker setup so much. The STF-1 is great for movies but an upgrade to a more expensive HSU sub would help balance the sound better I think.

I had the exact same conclusions when I first listened to my HB1-mk2s. I can say from experience, that a break-in period will yield a notable change. A good buddy of mine heard my speakers when I first got them, and then again 4 months later. He also noticed how the dynamics of the speaker improved after break-in. I also noticed that the sound stage opened up a bit after break-in.

If you are using an Audyssey setting for another pair of speakers, please don't even begin to make final conclusions. Run about 50+ hours of material, then run Audyssey for the HB1s (or any new speaker you are testing). Please note that these speakers are sensitive to positioning and toe angle.

I am now really pleased with the crisp highs and sound of the HSU. As Interspy24 has said, the highs seem to reach out a bit. This was definitely not the case for the first 100 hours of use.
deepstang is offline  
post #100 of 135 Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post


i had the exact same conclusions when i first listened to my hb1-mk2s. I can say from experience, that a break-in period will yield a notable change. A good buddy of mine heard my speakers when i first got them, and then again 4 months later. He also noticed how the dynamics of the speaker improved after break-in. I also noticed that the sound stage also opened up a bit after break-in.

If you are using an audyssey setting for another pair of speakers, please don't even begin to make final conclusions. Run about 50+ hours of material, then run audyssey. Please note that these speakers are sensitive to positioning and toe angle.

I am now really pleased with the crisp highs and sound of the hsu. As interspy24 has said, the highs seem to reach out a bit. This was definitely not the case for the first 100 hours of use.

+1
ambesolman is offline  
post #101 of 135 Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,358
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quite honestly it sounds like he is doing something wrong if he says the HBs don't sound significantly better than the ventriloquist. He shouldn't also need to crank the volume to get them loud, especially with a Onkyo 876- my Onkyo 707 can make them blaze. I think that "big, full sound" he is looking for involves dynamic, thick, punchy bass, which could definitely elude the little STF1 in the wrong room. The STF1 certainly shouldn't sound unmusical, which to me suggests it is being overwhelmed by the room.

As for sounding less cohesive than JBL monitors, maybe that is because the JBLs have much more pronounced upper mids and highs, as they should being a smaller near-field monitor with a higher crossover point of 4.2k. Near-field they should have richer highs and upper mids than the Hsus, but they wouldn't be nearly as good for home theater duty, from looking at the specs. If you want to see the shortcomings of the JBLs compared to the Hsus, put the JBLs in a larger room and run some THX promos on them and some demo scenes at a non-quiet volume level. I'm sure the Hsus would be much easier to listen to.
shadyJ is offline  
post #102 of 135 Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Member
 
eccoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

If you are using an Audyssey setting for another pair of speakers, please don't even begin to make final conclusions. Run about 50+ hours of material, then run Audyssey for the HB1s (or any new speaker you are testing). Please note that these speakers are sensitive to positioning and toe angle.

This is very important and I was sure to turn Audyssey off before connecting the speakers. So far the only adjustment I've made was a cutoff at 80hz between the speakers/sub. EQ is flat and any other fancy Onkyo setting that might be available is off. I'm listening to the speakers with almost no proccessing (just the high pass at 80hz). I have them angled in directly at my ears at ear level, maybe 10 feet apart (I'll have to measure).

Most of my listening has been stereo CDs and some stereo TV. I only sampled a bit of 7.1 pcm movie soundtrack and the center channel sounds the same as the bookshelfs so far. As I said before, the speakers are good, especially for the price. I'm just not hearing what the reviewers claim to be hearing. yet.
eccoboy is offline  
post #103 of 135 Old 11-21-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,358
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Actually now that I am rereading the thread, I don't really think the Hsu's in themselves can give what eccoboy is after. To recap, eccoboy earlier stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccoboy View Post

To be more specific I want speakers that sound bigger. My tiny HSUs right now get loud enough, and I'm sure the HB-1s get much louder. But do they sound big? Typically when I hear bookshelf speakers they can sound great and loud and clear, but not big. The tower speakers with larger sealed enclosures holding 1 or more 7 or 8 inch woofers tend to give me that big sound that I like. Of course a properly placed subwoofer paired with smaller speakers can sound big too. I don't get to hear different speaker setups too often and I certainly can't think of any specific examples. This is just what I have experienced.

to which I responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Placement and listening position have a lot to do with "big sound". Subwoofers factor into that too, you need a properly calibrated sub to achieve that big sound. I think the HB speakers can give you that as much as any other speaker, but you have to give them the proper room as much as any other speaker would need it. That "big sound" typically refers to effortless dynamics, and if properly dialed-in, these speakers can whoop your ass, so yes, they can sound big.

I suspected the room might be apart of the issue with his sound when he said the Ventriloquist got loud enough, but he still wanted a "bigger" sound. I will state a few thoughts on a "bigger" sound, a word you hear a lot here, and what it might mean.

I think what is meant by "big" in relation to sound is dynamics, and especially bass. Think about "big" and bass for a minute here. Only "big" things produce bass in life, like earthquakes and thunder and freight trains. Big speakers do it to (though not always). You can't have a "big" sound without serious bass, and eccoboy, your sub is meant for small rooms.

Another thing about "big" sound is room acoustics; a big room sounds "big", usually due to a slight reverb. The main screens at commercial cinemas sound "big", even though they try to dampen the sound. Many receivers try to reproduce this effect with their DSPs in environment settings like "hall", "opera", "arena", etc. I think my Onkyo even has a "sci-fi" environment effect. Anyway it is difficult to recapture that effect in a smaller room, and the receiver DSP effects never quite actually do it, at least to my ears. Some people attempt to use big speakers in their room to achieve that particular sound, and you see this quite a bit here on AVSforum and elsewhere, but I think they don't quite realize it has a lot to do with their own room, not their speakers. If the room sounds small, no speaker, no matter how big, will change that, and no DSP setting can really make it sound bigger either; that room's sound signature is going to be there no matter what. One thing that can be done is to dampen the room to take it out of the equation as much as possible, that is, the room can't sound "small" if it isn't contributing to the sound at all.

To eccoboy, I think you might be contending with both your room and anemic bass.

For the room, see if using Hsu's recommended stand-off distances help: that should reduce acoustic reflection. Also, experiment with different toe-ins. Some people have preferred the sound with the toe-in crossing in front of them rather than right on the listening position, others seem to like the toe-in behind them. Also, try using the speaker with the grill off. Outside of that you will need to look into room treatments and acoustic dampening.

For serious bass, you could try placing your sub in different locations, many times that can dramatically increase the bass at listening position. However, there is only so much an STF1 can do. In the end, if you want a big sound, you are going to need a subwoofer with a much larger driver than a 8". If you really want a big sound, get two serious subs and place them near your left and right fronts. This helps a lot to defeat subwoofer localization, which can really contribute to a small sound.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, hopefully something in here can help. Also, if you let me know the size of your room, your distance from the speakers, and your subwoofer placement, I might be able to offer more specific advice. One thing I can say is that if you are sitting close to the speakers or are in a small room, you might try some speakers with dome tweeters, they can project a wider sound stage with more emphasis on highs and so perhaps a bigger sound in those circumstances than more directional horn-loaded speakers
Justinicus likes this.
shadyJ is offline  
post #104 of 135 Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Member
 
eccoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Quite honestly it sounds like he is doing something wrong if he says the HBs don't sound significantly better than the ventriloquist. He shouldn't also need to crank the volume to get them loud, especially with a Onkyo 876- my Onkyo 707 can make them blaze. I think that "big, full sound" he is looking for involves dynamic, thick, punchy bass, which could definitely elude the little STF1 in the wrong room. The STF1 certainly shouldn't sound unmusical, which to me suggests it is being overwhelmed by the room.

As for sounding less cohesive than JBL monitors, maybe that is because the JBLs have much more pronounced upper mids and highs, as they should being a smaller near-field monitor with a higher crossover point of 4.2k. Near-field they should have richer highs and upper mids than the Hsus, but they wouldn't be nearly as good for home theater duty, from looking at the specs. If you want to see the shortcomings of the JBLs compared to the Hsus, put the JBLs in a larger room and run some THX promos on them and some demo scenes at a non-quiet volume level. I'm sure the Hsus would be much easier to listen to.

They certainly sound better than the ventriloquist but I haven't heard them and thought, "Wow what a difference!" like I have with other speakers (or other audio components). When I first heard them I thought, "Oh, they sound like speakers". I'm not so sure if they should sound "significantly" better than the ventriloquist in the way that replacing ipod earbuds with $100 earbuds does. That's what I would call significant.

I am having to turn the volume up much higher than I did with the Ventriloquist. Yes the room is probably the cause of that because this is a different room than the one I used for the Ventriloquist so I'll take back the comment about them not being loud. Instead I'll rephrase that to say again that they don't sound as huge as I would like, and I'm not so sure that low end is the only factor in getting a huge sound. It's certainly the largest factor, but having sharp high end that doesn't distort at high volumes and isn't fatiguing is also important. But yes thick, punchy bass is exactly what I like and the STF-1 doesn't have that and I don't think it's the room's fault. I've never liked the STF-1 for music regardless of where it is positioned or what other speakers it is paired with. It is perfectly suitable for movies (which is probably what it was specifically designed for) where the sound of a sluggish, ported enclosure works. The STF-1 is rated for smaller rooms and lower volume but in my larger room it is plenty loud. In fact I've had to turn it down a few times and even then if a song hits the frequency range of the port, it lets out a big sloppy boomy sound that I really dislike. So I'm not sure if the sub is being overwhelmed by the room. I've tried different placement but it sounds as it did in the previous, smaller room. That's why I originally wanted large tower speakers with larger woofers so that I could turn the sub off and still get a full range but my budget can't support that.

Comparing my JBL monitors was probably a bad comparison to make since they are in quite a different class. True, if I put them where the HB-1s are and tried to play a movie at high volume they wouldn't sound very good. But I do prefer the sound of dialogue through the JBLs versus the HC-1. The HC-1 sounds a little boxy, but I haven't spent much time with it yet and I have some positioning issues to deal with as well.
eccoboy is offline  
post #105 of 135 Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Member
 
eccoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I think what is meant by "big" in relation to sound is dynamics, and especially bass. Think about "big" and bass for a minute here. Only "big" things produce bass in life, like earthquakes and thunder and freight trains. Big speakers do it to (though not always). You can't have a "big" sound without serious bass, and eccoboy, your sub is meant for small rooms.

Yes, bass plays a significant role in contributing to a big sound, maybe only second to volume. High volume that is very clear across the entire frequency range is crucial. And having a high end that is crisp and does not distort or cause fatigue at high volume is almost as important as bass. A huge low end without clear mids and highs will not sound big. An example is a car stereo with a big, bandpass sub enclosure in the trunk paired with under powered, small woofers and tweeters up front. The volume can get quite loud and the bass overwhelmingly loud, but with cheap speakers up front without an amp, the mids and highs sound awful and fatiguing instead of sounding big. The same can happen with satellite speakers paired with a sub in a home theater. Now that I'm thinking about it maybe "big" isn't the only adjective I'm looking for. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I want speakers that sound natural, or "life like" rather than "big". I like speakers that hold together at loud volumes and don't accentuate any frequencies. They should still sound full and smooth across the entire spectrum. Going back to my sub, yes, it is for small rooms and lower volume. However, I have had to turn it down a few times, so I think it is plenty loud. It's just too boomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

To eccoboy, I think you might be contending with both your room and anemic bass.

The room does present some problems but nothing that would have any serious effects on the sound. I can hear the difference in room acoustics and while the size, shape, and reflection factor contributes to sound quality, I believe that I can fairly judge a speaker regardless of the environment they are in to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

For the room, see if using Hsu's recommended stand-off distances help: that should reduce acoustic reflection. Also, experiment with different toe-ins. Some people have preferred the sound with the toe-in crossing in front of them rather than right on the listening position, others seem to like the toe-in behind them. Also, try using the speaker with the grill off. Outside of that you will need to look into room treatments and acoustic dampening.

I am roughly following the stand-off distances. The speakers are around 22" or so from the side and rear walls, angled to meet at a point just in front of me with the grills off. A reviewer said that they sound better without grills and I prefer the grill-less appearance so I haven't even tried listening with the grills on. The speakers are 9' apart and my ears are about 6' from the center, so about 8' from each speaker. Sitting this close to the speakers the poor acoustics of my room don't interfere too much, but the room definitely shows its qualities when I stand back or move around. Acoustic treatments would be a very nice addition but not in my budget at this time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Anyway, sorry for the long post, hopefully something in here can help. Also, if you let me know the size of your room, your distance from the speakers, and your subwoofer placement, I might be able to offer more specific advice. One thing I can say is that if you are sitting close to the speakers or are in a small room, you might try some speakers with dome tweeters, they can project a wider sound stage with more emphasis on highs and so perhaps a bigger sound in those circumstances than more directional horn-loaded speakers

The room is 12.5' x 19' with the speakers on the 12' side. To the right is a huge floor to ceiling window and the floor is wood so yeah, not great for sound. And almost half of the room is empty since my chairs and A/V equipment only occupy one end of the room.

On a different note, one thing I noticed last night is that the stereo imaging on the HB1s is excellent. They blend seamlessly and I had no sense that the sound was coming from the speakers. On the other hand, I'm having some serious localization issues with the HC1, meaning that dialogue sounds as if it is inside the speaker box rather than inside the image on the screen. Very distracting, but could be an issue with my placement etc. so I can't blame the speaker just yet.
eccoboy is offline  
post #106 of 135 Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,358
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
For the HC-1, is it tilted to be aimed at your ears? Is there reflective surfaces around the HC-1? Personally, I think if you focus on where the dialogue is coming from, you will always be able to localize it. And that goes for any other speaker as well, I think if you try to hear that the sound is coming from the speaker's location, you will always be able to. For me, speakers have only been able to disappear if I let them. One thing you might do is try a ghost center and see how that changes things.
shadyJ is offline  
post #107 of 135 Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Member
 
eccoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

For the HC-1, is it tilted to be aimed at your ears? Is there reflective surfaces around the HC-1? Personally, I think if you focus on where the dialogue is coming from, you will always be able to localize it. And that goes for any other speaker as well, I think if you try to hear that the sound is coming from the speaker's location, you will always be able to. For me, speakers have only been able to disappear if I let them. One thing you might do is try a ghost center and see how that changes things.

Tilted directly at me but the location is not the best. It is sitting on the shelf just below my TV stand and it barely fits. It has reflective surfaces a little below and above plus metal poles on the left and right. Probably not affecting the sound too much. The problem is just me sitting too close. Had the same issue with the older center channel and was hoping it might improve a little. No big deal. If I sit further back it's much better and you're right about letting the speakers disappear if you ignore it. I haven't heard of ghost center I'll have to look that up.
eccoboy is offline  
post #108 of 135 Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Member
 
eccoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A ghost center might be good especially with these speakers since the imaging is so good. I haven't used the center hardly at all yet so I don't really know yet how it will perform. Actually I haven't been watching hardly any movies in surround these days but I would like to start playing video games again and that's where the center channel will come in. I'll see how it goes.
eccoboy is offline  
post #109 of 135 Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
dunan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccoboy View Post

Tilted directly at me but the location is not the best. It is sitting on the shelf just below my TV stand and it barely fits. It has reflective surfaces a little below and above plus metal poles on the left and right. Probably not affecting the sound too much. The problem is just me sitting too close. Had the same issue with the older center channel and was hoping it might improve a little. No big deal. If I sit further back it's much better and you're right about letting the speakers disappear if you ignore it. I haven't heard of ghost center I'll have to look that up.

A ghost center is not using a center at all, letting your L/R handle all the center channel content.
dunan is offline  
post #110 of 135 Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deepstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas-Irving, TX (from Nawlins!)
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ShadyJ, I meant to chime in yesterday after your well thought out epiphany post on EcoBoys desires for a speaker. I was initially going to say that EcoBoy may be like many people, who like a more forward sound. I think that this quality can me perceived as a speaker sounding "big". Heck, this is why I think Energy went from the balanced sound of the RC-10 to the more forward sound of the CB20. Many people like efficient and forward speakers. I thought EcoBoy was in this category until he said the quote I have below.

EcoBoy, I can definitely relate to most of your comments on your desire for a speaker. I also had the EXACT same feelings my first couple of months with the HSUs. Heck, I bought a pair of Energy RC-10s afterwards and felt they sounded smaller and less dynamic (bass is not as low and highs are more tame, although I think that the RC-10 has a more mature even sound). In reality, the Energy RC-10 is a much more detailed speaker as the tweeter and crossover is stellar.

EcoBoy, I was sure you would like a more forward efficient speaker until you made this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccoboy View Post

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I want speakers that sound natural, or "life like" rather than "big". I like speakers that hold together at loud volumes and don't accentuate any frequencies. They should still sound full and smooth across the entire spectrum.

I do feel like the HSUs are "neutral" and "natural" sounding speakers. The HSU doesn't necessarily scream out in one area; however, the highs are a bit forward. The mids of the HB-1 maintains a pretty neutral sound. As I said before, I do think the highs reach out a little more after 100 hours of break-in. I still do think it is unlikely that it will have the significant changes that would transform them into the speakers that have the sound you desire.

Again, I can relate. IN MY ROOM, I desire bigger sound. It is hard describe, but as you, I think I would have the "a-ha" moment when I finally hear it. I would assume that a set of multi driver floor-standers would achieve that, but I don't want to accommodate a speaker of that size.

I also think that your STF-1 is a stumbling block in your setup. It may benefit from better positioning. I highly recommend playing your system in FULL/LARGE mode for now, and disable your sub. Try this for a few weeks, let your speakers break-in, and then evaluate the sound. You can later revisit what your sub adds (or takes away) from your set-up.

Sorry for the long post. Best wishes.
deepstang is offline  
post #111 of 135 Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Member
 
eccoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I also think that your STF-1 is a stumbling block in your setup. It may benefit from better positioning. I highly recommend playing your system in FULL/LARGE mode for now, and disable your sub. Try this for a few weeks, let your speakers break-in, and then evaluate the sound. You can later revisit what your sub adds (or takes away) from your set-up

I think I put the 80hz eq on right out of the box and forgot to even try them full range. Finally I should have some more time over the next few days to play and I'll try removing the high pass filter and muting the sub. The sub isn't the greatest, and I have tried different positioning and I often move around the room to see if I can find a better spot. I should put the sub in my listening position and then move around but I don't think I'm going to find a position that gives me what I want. Like the speakers, the sub is great for the price I paid, and for atmospheric effects and action scenes in movies it meets my needs. Just not for music. Right now the sub is between the TV and the right speaker, about 6" from the back wall firing down on carpet. Speaking of carpet, I should have a rug arriving today that might help with the accoustics a little.
eccoboy is offline  
post #112 of 135 Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
C*Tedesco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Still been testing out my HB1's and an HC1 and so far so good. Music witht he fronts in stereo is really a good experience. I'm using my Onkyo RC160 to power them.

The one thing I'm trying to figure out is the center channel. This could be the blu ray's I'm watching, the receiver, or my current Audessy set up, but on some BR's that I'm watching the center (dialogue) appeard too low. I'm messing with the settings, but I'm trying to find out what this is.

The center is below the plasma and center slightly angled up. I'm about 8 feet from the center. I'm tweaking the freq from 80Hz to 60Hz to see if that makes a difference. Wondering if others with the HC-1 have had challenges with it.
C*Tedesco is offline  
post #113 of 135 Old 11-26-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,358
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Try boosting the center channel volume by 3 db, sometimes audyssey sets that too low.
shadyJ is offline  
post #114 of 135 Old 12-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Member
 
eccoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Now that I've had many hours with the speakers I thought I'd give an updated opinion.

As I've said, they are very good speakers; excellent in fact. The HB-1s are probably the best speakers that I have owned. My initial response was that they weren't as amazing as some reviewers claimed, and I still feel that way. Right out of the box they weren't impressive at all and even now that they sound much better I still can't say that they sound like $10k speakers. They don't have that extra "sparkle" that the expensive stuff has, whatever that may be. Nevertheless, now that I have them broken in and setup properly I am very pleased with the sound and at this price I doubt you can get anything better.

I have Audyssey MultEQ enabled and the Audyssey settings left as is with the exception of the crossover. I found that with my setup I prefer having the HB-1s set to "FULL" with doublebass set to on, meaning that no cutoff frequency is applied to the L and R channels and the low frequencies from the L and R are also sent to the sub. This sounds the best to me with stereo material; especially music. Having the cutoff set to 60Hz or 80Hz with the sub handling below 80Hz just doesn't sound good with my system. I have even turned the sub completely off and like someone else mentioned, I constantly was looking at the back of the sub to see if it was in fact still off. The HB-1s put out a solid low end and I keep the sub on just high enough to fill in the very bottom.

Previously I was saying that they don't get loud or "big" enough, and I think that's because I was wanting my living room to sound like a concert hall. These speakers make plenty of volume. I have to lower it anytime I want to speak to the person next to me. To get the huge sound that I desire I would need more power to begin with, and to get good, clean amplification I would need to spend much more $$$ on a dedicated amp. Then I would need large, heavy speakers, and by that point it would probably sound ridiculous in my living room and start to bother neighbors.

Anyway, highly recommended.
Justinicus likes this.
eccoboy is offline  
post #115 of 135 Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I think the best thing you can say about the HB-1's is that they sound great for budget category speakers...

However, if you're expecting the sound of $2,000/pair monitors then you should just say "what the hell" and start saving up to actually buy those $2,000/pair monitors you really wanted in the first place.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #116 of 135 Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
C*Tedesco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wanted to quickly update on my HB1's/C1 combo. After a couple months of breaking in, these speakers are really outperforming more than I thought they would.

I went ahead an put back my old JBL's (with ARC titanium tweeters) to see if I would notice a difference. I never realized what I was missing. The HB1's have a much natural sound, and now that I'm angling the fronts, it's really making an impact.

I think at some point I'll need to upgrade my budget Velodyne Sub for one of the HSU's, but for now very satisfied with the purchase.
C*Tedesco is offline  
post #117 of 135 Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
monkuboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used to use 5 of the HB-1 Mk 2's and I liked them very much. Especially for the price, these are excellent speakers. At last year's T.H.E. Audio show in Newport, I'd say these were by far the best values of the entire show and compared favorably with a lot more expensive things (plus Hsu did not use any fancy equipment - just a regular AVR and lamp cord).

If anyone is interested in these, a guy has posted 4 of them plus the HC-1 center for sale in the Hsu forum at a ridiculously low price ($399 for all 5). He also has 4 stands and an SVS sub for sale. I have no financial interest in this, just trying to help the guy out since he says he is being deployed soon and has to sell them. If you go to the forum for sale section, make sure you expand the listing to show posts more than 1 week old otherwise it won't show.
monkuboy is offline  
post #118 of 135 Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
deepstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas-Irving, TX (from Nawlins!)
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Wanted to quickly update on my HB1's/C1 combo. After a couple months of breaking in, these speakers are really outperforming more than I thought they would.

I went ahead an put back my old JBL's (with ARC titanium tweeters) to see if I would notice a difference. I never realized what I was missing. The HB1's have a much natural sound, and now that I'm angling the fronts, it's really making an impact.

I think at some point I'll need to upgrade my budget Velodyne Sub for one of the HSU's, but for now very satisfied with the purchase.

The HB-1s are just an awesome value. They have a unique character, and easy to fall in love with. they play large; however, as you said, they are very angle specific in terms of their performance. Part of the pros and cons with horn tweeters.


I hope someone jumps on that deal on the HSU forum. Wow!
deepstang is offline  
post #119 of 135 Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The hb1s are the most underrated speakers!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #120 of 135 Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
saltysteven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post


The HB-1s are just an awesome value. They have a unique character, and easy to fall in love with. they play large; however, as you said, they are very angle specific in terms of their performance. Part of the pros and cons with horn tweeters.

I hope someone jumps on that deal on the HSU forum. Wow!

Sorry, but I can't seem to find the hsu forum. Can someone direct me, please
saltysteven is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off