HSU HB-1 Speaker Owners - How do you like these speakers? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 153 Old 11-10-2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have been reading about the HB-1 mkII's, and am curious as to how the "HSU sound" might best be described in comparison to other speakers. I have also been looking at speakers that are described as having a "british sound" like B&W, KEF, and Q Acoustics, which I understand are just on the warm side of neutral. How would the HSU's sound in comparison to those??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 153 Old 11-10-2016, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvanb View Post
Have been reading about the HB-1 mkII's, and am curious as to how the "HSU sound" might best be described in comparison to other speakers. I have also been looking at speakers that are described as having a "british sound" like B&W, KEF, and Q Acoustics, which I understand are just on the warm side of neutral. How would the HSU's sound in comparison to those??

I'd say they're pretty neutral. They've never been harsh on my sibilant test tracks like some paradigm studios I heard, just as an example. When I was auditioning speakers a couple of years ago, kef and b&w were on my list. I liked the kef r series and the uniQ creates a bigger sweet spot IMO than a lot of speakers due to its design. I heard the b&w cm series (not sure if it was the s1 or newer s2 version) and didn't care for them. I heard them at two different shops and both times it sounded like a wet blanket was hanging over the tweeter. Never heard q acoustics so can't comment on them. Ymmv.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #153 of 153 Old 11-11-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I'd say they're pretty neutral. They've never been harsh on my sibilant test tracks like some paradigm studios I heard, just as an example. When I was auditioning speakers a couple of years ago, kef and b&w were on my list. I liked the kef r series and the uniQ creates a bigger sweet spot IMO than a lot of speakers due to its design. I heard the b&w cm series (not sure if it was the s1 or newer s2 version) and didn't care for them. I heard them at two different shops and both times it sounded like a wet blanket was hanging over the tweeter. Never heard q acoustics so can't comment on them. Ymmv.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
In my experience Q Acoustics are a bit brighter than the B&Ws which are quite "laid back" in their sound.

I always liked the B&Ws I've owned but I think I prefer the sound of Q Acoustics vs. "affordable" B&Ws which are generally at least 1/3 more than a similar speaker from Q Acoustics.

The HSUs based on everything I've read are also a tremendous bang for the buck speaker.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page