Putting Together My First non HTIB Surround Sound System. Help please? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

Rob not joking,

I wound'nt buy a sub w/out a remote just like I wound'nt buy an AVR w/out remote capabilitys.
OP I demoed a few subs and after hearing a 1200watt quaility sub theres no comparision to under 1200watt which is built into the sub no additional AVR amplification needed.

I would recommend researching and demoing. plus these guy's here are very knowlegdable on specs and where to buy. this is the sub I have had for about 4 months and it's awesome.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...bwoofer%20Each

Hm. seems interesting, some of the reviews on this one concern me. It has a pretty low average rating on the site 3/5 stars compared to less expensive Bic America F12. One verified owner review said this:

"VERY SAD

Pros: looks good

Cons: Very sad it says 1200 watts no way at 40 % it sounds real bad makes like a real loud blown out sound you have no choice you must turn it down. i had a 125 watt '12' it was 9 years old and it sounded way better...

Other Thoughts: if you want bass then look at something bigger"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Hm. seems interesting, some of the reviews on this one concern me. It has a pretty low average rating on the site 3/5 stars compared to less expensive Bic America F12. One verified owner review said this:

"VERY SAD

Pros: looks good

Cons: Very sad it says 1200 watts no way at 40 % it sounds real bad makes like a real loud blown out sound you have no choice you must turn it down. i had a 125 watt '12' it was 9 years old and it sounded way better...

Other Thoughts: if you want bass then look at something bigger"

reviews are always baised.
read on grasshopper like amonzon, crutchfield or even polk audio.

I gave $35. more for a refurb, and am very satisified, w/ the high techonolgy that went into this sub. posted new egg because $299. for a $900. sub is a steal.
STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #33 of 36 Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I'd pass on the micro Polk subwoofer and go with something larger that doesn't require as much power like an eD A2-300 but to each their own. I'm just not a fan of trying to flog a tiny 8" driver into producing output with a ton of power except in something like a small office or a very small apartment where the remote might be handy for keeping neighbors happy.

The OP has a 2000cuft living room that's open to his kitchen. That's at least 3000cuft possibly 3500. I can't find anything in the thread stating whether it's an apartment or single family home. If it's an apartment then it makes sense to go with 5 speakers and one of the better front-firing $200 12" subs sitting on isolation blocks or an isolation pad to reduce problems with neighbors, or a down-firing sub with an isolation pad. If money is tight then in a house I'd rather see an investment in a good subwoofer capable of properly pressurizing the room even if that means starting with 2.1 and adding the other bit's later. On the other hand if $800 is an arbitrary number I'd boost the budget $200-300 and do it right rather than try to stuff 10lbs into a 5lb bag just for the heck of it.
post #34 of 36 Old 07-09-2011, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

I think I'd pass on the micro Polk subwoofer and go with something larger that doesn't require as much power like an eD A2-300 but to each their own. I'm just not a fan of trying to flog a tiny 8" driver into producing output with a ton of power except in something like a small office or a very small apartment where the remote might be handy for keeping neighbors happy.

The OP has a 2000cuft living room that's open to his kitchen. That's at least 3000cuft possibly 3500. I can't find anything in the thread stating whether it's an apartment or single family home. If it's an apartment then it makes sense to go with 5 speakers and one of the better front-firing $200 12" subs sitting on isolation blocks or an isolation pad to reduce problems with neighbors, or a down-firing sub with an isolation pad. If money is tight then in a house I'd rather see an investment in a good subwoofer capable of properly pressurizing the room even if that means starting with 2.1 and adding the other bit's later. On the other hand if $800 is an arbitrary number I'd boost the budget $200-300 and do it right rather than try to stuff 10lbs into a 5lb bag just for the heck of it.

It's a duplex. The neighbors are at the opposite end. What is the difference between a sub like the BA F12 and a down firing sub?
post #35 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What type of wiring do I need for the Jamo 606? I assume it comes with none? Should I get 12 gauge, 14 gauge or 16 gauge? Do I need to add the gold banana connectors or what?

Also, for the Bic America F12 do I just get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And does the F12 do LFE with the Denon receiver? If so, how do I do that? I don't understand this audio stuff too much yet. lol.
post #36 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Jamo is a better speaker company. I have use the Sony ss-b300 and ss-f5000 for cheap speakers in my fraternity house and was never impressed the new Sony speakers are nothing like any Sony speaker made before the late 1980s their quality has gone down

The Bic F12 is an active subwoofer meaning it has a built in amp all you do is run a subwoofer cable from receiver sub pre-out to the input on the subwoofer and you are all set

I would go with the denon 591 or 1611. As the have the best audio calibration setup with audyssey multieq going so far to even calibrate your subwoofer

Hey. You've been good with advice. Do you have any advice for my last post?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page