Putting Together My First non HTIB Surround Sound System. Help please? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Firstly, I'm more of a videophile, but lately I've wanted to finally upgrade my audio system for my JVC RS15 front projector in my living room. My first surround sound system was a $50 RCA 5.1 (non digital) surround sound system I bought as a joke because I thought it was going to be awful and I'd have to return it. I ended up blown away for the price. So, I kept it until the subwoofer blew and upgraded to a real digital Philips 5.1 (1,000 Watt) HTIB system. I've loved it. I am no longer running true surround sound though. Just using the RCA stereo hookups, because on any setting besides stereo there is hissing. However, it still sounds GREAT! I dunno if I should even really upgrade or just live in "Ignorance is bliss" land. lol.

So, I decided to put together a system won't break me, won't cost more than my projector, but also blow away a HTIB system. Please help me improve or learn if possible. I would like to run HDMI out from my PC to the HDMI input of a receiver and then the HDMI out of the receiver to my RS15 projector. This is what the HDMI output is for, right?

RECEIVER:

1: Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver: $279.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Open to Suggestion....affordable ones.

SPEAKERS:
2: Fluance AVHTB+ Surround Sound Home Theater 5 Speaker System: $199.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1WPEQCN6WJKZG

CENTER CHANNEL REPLACEMENT


3: Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black): $79.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2L77EE7U53NWQ

SUBWOOFER:

4: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: $186.88


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER


Ok, so that is my system so far. Any big mistakes? Also, what about a butt kicker (this piece if not a necessity...just a curiosity), the silent subwoofer you hook up to your couch for LFE vibrations sent directly to your body via your sofa. Can I use this in conjuction with the woofer above or do I need a 7.2 system? Also wondering about the LFE input and if I need it/what receivers have it?

ButtKicker BK-LFE Low Frequency Effects System: $179.99: http://www.amazon.com/ButtKicker-BK-...0124717&sr=1-3


What do you guys think of this setup? My goal is to put together a BIG Bang for my buck system. I'm always about big bang for my buck. lol.


Thanks for everyone's time taken to read and respond.
MTyson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
amarshonarbangla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Center channel should be the same brand and model with the front speakers, otherwise they won't tonally match. I will suggest you use the center that will come with the Fluance.
amarshonarbangla is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Center channel should be the same brand and model with the front speakers, otherwise they won't tonally match. I will suggest you use the center that will come with the Fluance.

Hm. Interesting. The only reason I was going to do that was upon reading in depth about the Fluance speakers a lot of the reviews I've read said the center channel is the Fluance's only weak link and that a big improvement was made by replacing it with the Polk C10 or C20.

Any speaker system that will match the Fluance in quality while providing C10 or C20 quality center channel? Hopefully speakers that look good like the Fluance, if possible.
MTyson is offline  
post #4 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Hm. Interesting. The only reason I was going to do that was upon reading in depth about the Fluance speakers a lot of the reviews I've read said the center channel is the Fluance's only weak link and that a big improvement was made by replacing it with the Polk C10 or C20.

Any speaker system that will match the Fluance in quality while providing C10 or C20 quality center channel? Hopefully speakers that look good like the Fluance, if possible.

No. Do not mix and match the front three speakers. If the Fluance center is weak, go with a different brand of speakers. You always want to timbre match the fronts and center.

Have you gone out and auditioned any of your top choices? There is no substitute for hearing them yourself.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,399
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post


No. Do not mix and match the front three speakers. If the Fluance center is weak, go with a different brand of speakers. You always want to timbre match the fronts and center.

Have you gone out and auditioned any of your top choices? There is no substitute for hearing them yourself.

x2! Always always match the front 3!

Might want to look at Jamo s426 5.0 speaker set
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

No. Do not mix and match the front three speakers. If the Fluance center is weak, go with a different brand of speakers. You always want to timbre match the fronts and center.

Have you gone out and auditioned any of your top choices? There is no substitute for hearing them yourself.

I haven't actually. I wouldn't have a clue where to go. I doubt I have any place nearby for audio demos. I just based my major purchases off of reading reviews mostly and bought online. I've always ended up very pleased...at least when it came to my visual choices. I actually did demo my last HTIB by Philips at Wal-Mart. I thought it sounded the best, but then again, maybe the Philips had better out of the box calibration. Not sure.

I'm not sure the Fluance center is "weak", but I heard it was only "Ok". I'm sure it's better than what I currently have or at least I assume.

Back to the drawing bored I suppose. Guess I need to do a lot more research when it comes to the speakers, but the rest I hope is ok.
MTyson is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

x2! Always always match the front 3!

Might want to look at Jamo s426 5.0 speaker set

The Jamo's look nice. Over twice the price though. Are they worth twice as much than the Fluance you think?
MTyson is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Firstly, I'm more of a videophile, but lately I've wanted to finally upgrade my audio system for my JVC RS15 front projector in my living room. My first surround sound system was a $50 RCA 5.1 (non digital) surround sound system I bought as a joke because I thought it was going to be awful and I'd have to return it. I ended up blown away for the price. So, I kept it until the subwoofer blew and upgraded to a real digital Philips 5.1 (1,000 Watt) HTIB system. I've loved it. I am no longer running true surround sound though. Just using the RCA stereo hookups, because on any setting besides stereo there is hissing. However, it still sounds GREAT! I dunno if I should even really upgrade or just live in "Ignorance is bliss" land. lol.

So, I decided to put together a system won't break me, won't cost more than my projector, but also blow away a HTIB system. Please help me improve or learn if possible. I would like to run HDMI out from my PC to the HDMI input of a receiver and then the HDMI out of the receiver to my RS15 projector. This is what the HDMI output is for, right?

RECEIVER:

1: Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver: $279.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Open to Suggestion....affordable ones.

SPEAKERS:
2: Fluance AVHTB+ Surround Sound Home Theater 5 Speaker System: $199.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1WPEQCN6WJKZG

CENTER CHANNEL REPLACEMENT


3: Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black): $79.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2L77EE7U53NWQ

SUBWOOFER:

4: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: $186.88


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER


Ok, so that is my system so far. Any big mistakes? Also, what about a butt kicker (this piece if not a necessity...just a curiosity), the silent subwoofer you hook up to your couch for LFE vibrations sent directly to your body via your sofa. Can I use this in conjuction with the woofer above or do I need a 7.2 system? Also wondering about the LFE input and if I need it/what receivers have it?

ButtKicker BK-LFE Low Frequency Effects System: $179.99: http://www.amazon.com/ButtKicker-BK-...0124717&sr=1-3


What do you guys think of this setup? My goal is to put together a BIG Bang for my buck system. I'm always about big bang for my buck. lol.


Thanks for everyone's time taken to read and respond.

What is your budget, your room size and the usage of the system, please?

Thanks.
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Member
 
steve7100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The polk m60s are on sale at newegg for relatively inexpensive. Its a pretty good deal if your looking for floorstanding speakers. Along with the F12 from Amazon. I saw a post (i did a quick search but couldn't find it), I think it was AV science and amazon had a bic sub for $140 or around that price point.

If it were me, I would think longer term. I would not get new surrounds right now and just use you old ones for now (assuming they work) and just start with a good budget 3.1 system.

I would also skip the buttkicker now, and put that $$$ towards speakers/sub. But, the receiver you have picked does have a sub out and you would need to get a Y adapter to hookup both the sub and buttkicker.
steve7100 is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stevethebrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta,GA,Ft.Walton Bch.FL
Posts: 1,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

The Jamo's look nice. Over twice the price though. Are they worth twice as much than the Fluance you think?

have you demoed the butkicker?

which ever speakers you get don't cheap out w/ bottom of line go 2 steps up or higher from the bottom also don't get a sub w/ less than a 1200 watt amp. and make sure the sub has a remote control.

STB

 

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
stevethebrain is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Fluance(I have heard it) is a $200 speaker package. It sounds like a $200 speaker package should. The weak link? The whole thing. Does it suck? No, not for $200. If it cost $400...then yes you could say it sucked.

The Jamo CrazyRob noted is leaps and bounds better, but it is(originally) 3 times the price. So it sounds better, just like it should.

Best "bangs for the buck" systems?

That Fluance. Any less than $200 and you are into "junk", this system falls "barely" outside of junk.

Sony SS-B1000 bookshelves. Those are between $45-$60(depending on the day) a pair on Amazon. There is no better way to "just spend <$60 on speakers". The matching center actually cost more than a pair of the B1000.

BIC DV series(especially the DV62 and DV64) have been one of the best deals "in all of speakers"(in you go back to the original V series) for 25+ years straight. If you count the BIC V62 and DV62 as "the same speaker"...that speaker has been in production 33 years. That is a very long time for ONE SPEAKER to be in production. So something "must be right" about it.

Polk Monitor(especially the "Newegg only" Monitor II) series. Not sure if Polk Direct(Ebay store) still has any of these or not. But Newegg is cleaning house with their version. The only difference, and really is the ONLY DIFFERENCE between Monitor I and Monitor II is the Newegg version has a slightly different front panel color.

So, if you want "cheap" and good, check out those four. Honorable mention goes to Jamo for the S606...or any of the other "We're trying to unload these things...here is the 'trying to give them away price of the week'".
schan1269 is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:


The Jamo's look nice. Over twice the price though. Are they worth twice as much than the Fluance you think?

How bout getting this Onkyo/Jamo package for $420 plus shipping? It'll be the same or less than your Fluance system with the same Onkyo receiver. And then add the Bic F12.

http://bensbargains.net/deal/199935/

Looks like Tigerdirect is out of stock of the NR509 right now but the deal will be back again, just check back next week.

Or if you're in a rush get your Onkyo from Amazon and this Jamo 5.0 speaker system.
http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S506HCS3-...137330&sr=1-16

Or this bundle package with the S606 system.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...CBC851DCE.web0

Where do you live because Fry's has been selling the Onkyo RC360 receiver for $249-299 which is better than the NR509. The RC360 is basically equivalent to the NR609.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sholling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hemet California
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not heard the Jamo s606 package so I won't comment on them but outside of "blow'em out" clearance like that my advice is to buy a piece at a time. Start with the very best quality 2.1 or 3.1 system that you can afford and add the other matching bits as money allows. That's how you get to a really good system without breaking the bank.

If you decide to go this route then you'll need to pick a direction. There should someplace not too far away that carries Polk's TSI200 which is similar to the Monitor 40 at Newegg, and another With Infinity's Primus P163 and see which you like better. Just keep in mind that Newegg will eventually run out of the bargain Polks. Note the matched center for the M40 is the CS1 and the matched center for the P163 is a PC251.

For the receiver I'd probably look at a Denon AVR-1611.
sholling is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Black_Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Polk Monitor(especially the "Newegg only" Monitor II) series. Not sure if Polk Direct(Ebay store) still has any of these or not. But Newegg is cleaning house with their version. The only difference, and really is the ONLY DIFFERENCE between Monitor I and Monitor II is the Newegg version has a slightly different front panel color.
When I was looking at these, Newegg's sales prices were typically better than Polk's ebay site. I picked up a pair of Monitor 60s and a CS2 from newegg for 330. A bit higher than the 200 plus 70 for the other center, but a good option I think. Like steve7100 said, just use your old surrounds for now. Also, the monitor 50s go on sale from time to time for around 90 each. Then you could get some 70s down the line and move the 50s to the rear?
Black_Bird is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269

Best "bangs for the buck" systems?

Sony SS-B1000 bookshelves. Those are between $45-$60(depending on the day) a pair on Amazon. There is no better way to "just spend <$60 on speakers". The matching center actually cost more than a pair of the B1000.
Agreed. I would actually suggest the B1000's "big brother" the SS-B3000, which while considered a bookshelf speaker, is much larger B3000 for fronts, two 1000's for surrounds and the CN5000 center speaker. All together this should cost you well below $250. Then you would just need to find a good sub and you would be good to go.

I highly suggest you listen to these Sony speakers before making a final decision. While they aren't anywhere near the best, their performance to price ratio is simply unmatched, and if you like how they sound, you stand to save a ton of money that you could put toward a good subwoofer. Since the O.P. stated he was more of a videophile not an audiophil, he might be satisfied with such a set up. I know I am, and my wife is happy that didn't break the bank

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Member
 
milkfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western WA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can purchase the BIC F12 from the new AV Science Amazon Store for $141. I just quickly glanced through the products, but there seem to be some pretty good deals.
milkfat is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,505
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 170
At one point I considered the Fluance speaker set (highly recommended from a freind)...but the almost 80 dollars in shipping to Iowa made them somewhat less attractive.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,399
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfat
You can purchase the BIC F12 from the new AV Science Amazon Store for $141. I just quickly glanced through the products, but there seem to be some pretty good deals.
Does that include shipping? Probably not
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Member
 
milkfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western WA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Does that include shipping? Probably not
Good call. It does not. That makes the store a lot less attractive.
milkfat is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

What is your budget, your room size and the usage of the system, please?

Thanks.

I"m trying not to spend over $800 or much more. My living room is about 16'7" x 15'. My kitchen is right behind the end of my living room. About 1/3'rd of the kitchen to my left of where I sit and behind me slightly is blocked off by a wall.

My main usage is for home cinema....lots of TV series and movies. I also use it for music from my computer, but TV and movies are my primary concern....and I might start playing X-Box 360 again eventually.
MTyson is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

have you demoed the butkicker?

which ever speakers you get don't cheap out w/ bottom of line go 2 steps up or higher from the bottom also don't get a sub w/ less than a 1200 watt amp. and make sure the sub has a remote control.

STB

I have not demoed the Buttkicker. I came across it purely by accident and upon reading the rave reviews about it and how it felt like being in the movie and how it vibrates your soft on low frequency sounds it just sounded like it would be a more immersive experience with one. I can always add that later though.

You say don't get a Sub with less than a 1200 Watt Amp. I'm a bit confused, so I need clarification. The 475-watt Powered Subwoofer I chose needs a 1,500 watt Amplifier in addition to the Onkyo or Denon Receiver? Do I understand this correctly? I'm not sure if the Bic America sub has a controller or not though.
MTyson is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Agreed. I would actually suggest the B1000's "big brother" the SS-B3000, which while considered a bookshelf speaker, is much larger B3000 for fronts, two 1000's for surrounds and the CN5000 center speaker. All together this should cost you well below $250. Then you would just need to find a good sub and you would be good to go.

I highly suggest you listen to these Sony speakers before making a final decision. While they aren't anywhere near the best, their performance to price ratio is simply unmatched, and if you like how they sound, you stand to save a ton of money that you could put toward a good subwoofer. Since the O.P. stated he was more of a videophile not an audiophile, he might be satisfied with such a set up. I know I am, and my wife is happy that didn't break the bank

Thanks for the reply. Is there any reason not to throw in a pair of the Sony Floor speakers (I really like the Aesthetics of floor speakers) instead of the bookshelf speakers?

Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer (pair, black)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-F6000-...0160680&sr=1-8

or:

Sony SSF-5000 Floor Standing 3-way Speaker (Pair)


http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-...0160680&sr=1-4
MTyson is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,399
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

have you demoed the butkicker?

which ever speakers you get don't cheap out w/ bottom of line go 2 steps up or higher from the bottom also don't get a sub w/ less than a 1200 watt amp. and make sure the sub has a remote control.

STB

Seriously you got to be joking
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post


How bout getting this Onkyo/Jamo package for $420 plus shipping? It'll be the same or less than your Fluance system with the same Onkyo receiver. And then add the Bic F12.

http://bensbargains.net/deal/199935/

Looks like Tigerdirect is out of stock of the NR509 right now but the deal will be back again, just check back next week.

Or if you're in a rush get your Onkyo from Amazon and this Jamo 5.0 speaker system.
http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S506HCS3-...137330&sr=1-16

Or this bundle package with the S606 system.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...CBC851DCE.web0

Where do you live because Fry's has been selling the Onkyo RC360 receiver for $249-299 which is better than the NR509. The RC360 is basically equivalent to the NR609.

Best advice here so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

You say don't get a Sub with less than a 1200 Watt Amp. I'm a bit confused, so I need clarification. The 475-watt Powered Subwoofer I chose needs a 1,500 watt Amplifier in addition to the Onkyo or Denon Receiver? Do I understand this correctly? I'm not sure if the Bic America sub has a controller or not though.

he was kidding which was quite confusing but the fact that he told you to get a subwoofer with it's own remote shows his joke

I'd suggest for $800
Denon avr-1611
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...did=6920894327
Jamo s606 hcs3
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Bic f12 subwoofer from amazon or shopblt.com
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Seriously you got to be joking

Best advice here so far!
he was kidding which was quite confusing but the fact that he told you to get a subwoofer with it's own remote shows his joke

I'd suggest for $800
Denon avr-1611
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...did=6920894327
Jamo s606 hcs3
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Bic f12 subwoofer from amazon or shopblt.com

OH. lol.

OK, I've gotten a lot of great advice. I really appreciate it. I'm still trying to process all of the information. I've gotten suggestions for Jamo and Sony.

How would the Jamo's compare to this setup:

Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer (pair, black) $136.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers with 8-Inch Woofer (Pair, Black) $89.71

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-.../ref=pd_cp_e_4

Sony SS-CN5000 Dual 5.25" Center Channel Speaker (each, black) $72.97

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

+ the Bic America F12.

Subtotal minus a receiver for the Sony + Bic America F12: $495.10. BTW, do I need an amplifier also for the Subwoofer in addition to the receiver?
MTyson is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,399
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Jamo is a better speaker company. I have use the Sony ss-b300 and ss-f5000 for cheap speakers in my fraternity house and was never impressed the new Sony speakers are nothing like any Sony speaker made before the late 1980s their quality has gone down

The Bic F12 is an active subwoofer meaning it has a built in amp all you do is run a subwoofer cable from receiver sub pre-out to the input on the subwoofer and you are all set

I would go with the denon 591 or 1611. As the have the best audio calibration setup with audyssey multieq going so far to even calibrate your subwoofer
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 03:35 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IF you are willing to spend more on the Jamo...I'd pick the Jamo.

It is like buying a car...

Would you buy a Ford Fiesta if you are willing to spend the money on a Focus or Fusion?

All three are worth the money to buy them...but...if I could get the Fusion...I wouldn't buy the Fiesta...
schan1269 is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Jamo is a better speaker company. I have use the Sony ss-b300 and ss-f5000 for cheap speakers in my fraternity house and was never impressed the new Sony speakers are nothing like any Sony speaker made before the late 1980s their quality has gone down

The Bic F12 is an active subwoofer meaning it has a built in amp all you do is run a subwoofer cable from receiver sub pre-out to the input on the subwoofer and you are all set

I would go with the denon 591 or 1611. As the have the best audio calibration setup with audyssey multieq going so far to even calibrate your subwoofer

Thanks! I appreciate it. Do both of those receivers have HDMI so I can have video on my projector? I'm outputting HDMI from my PC. Or will I need an HDMI splitter? Any reason to choose the Denon 1611 7.1 over the Denon 591 5.1 with a 5.1 surround sound setup?

Also, are there any equal/near equal Jamos at similar pricing that are in all black? Thanks
MTyson is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post


Thanks for the reply. Is there any reason not to throw in a pair of the Sony Floor speakers (I really like the Aesthetics of floor speakers) instead of the bookshelf speakers?

Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer (pair, black)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-F6000-...0160680&sr=1-8

or:

Sony SSF-5000 Floor Standing 3-way Speaker (Pair)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-...0160680&sr=1-4

I have heard mostly good about the SS-F6000. Mostly that is has a similar price to performance ratio like the B1000 and B3000 (which is to pretty darned good). Opinions on the F5000 are mixed but it seems to get much less praise than the 6000.

However, only consider the Sony setup if you aren't willing to spend more on speakers. If you are able to afford Jamo or Pioneer or something with no problems, explore those as well. They will likely sound better than the Sony's. However if you can't tell the difference, might as well go for the less expensive option. It will leave you with more to spend on your reciever or sub.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Jamo is a better speaker company. I have use the Sony ss-b300 and ss-f5000 for cheap speakers in my fraternity house and was never impressed the new Sony speakers are nothing like any Sony speaker made before the late 1980s their quality has gone down

The Bic F12 is an active subwoofer meaning it has a built in amp all you do is run a subwoofer cable from receiver sub pre-out to the input on the subwoofer and you are all set

I would go with the denon 591 or 1611. As the have the best audio calibration setup with audyssey multieq going so far to even calibrate your subwoofer

Indeed. Sony made hifi audiophile speakers back in the day. Nowadays their offerings are built and priced for the masses. The big draw of the sony speakers is the fact that they are ridiculously inexpensive, but still sound pretty good. A lot of people buy the cheap sonys expecting them to sound like garbage, but then they don't. They are not audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, but you get far more sound quality out of them compared to thw amount of dough you shell out. They are also considered to be very accurate as well, which for some people is a huge plus.

But they can't compete with quality speakers that cost 5 times what they Sony's cost. That's a given.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 07-09-2011, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stevethebrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta,GA,Ft.Walton Bch.FL
Posts: 1,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Seriously you got to be joking

Best advice here so far!
he was kidding which was quite confusing but the fact that he told you to get a subwoofer with it's own remote shows his joke

I'd suggest for $800
Denon avr-1611
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...did=6920894327
Jamo s606 hcs3
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Bic f12 subwoofer from amazon or shopblt.com

Rob not joking,

I wound'nt buy a sub w/out a remote just like I wound'nt buy an AVR w/out remote capabilitys.
OP I demoed a few subs and after hearing a 1200watt quaility sub theres no comparision to under 1200watt which is built into the sub no additional AVR amplification needed.

I would recommend researching and demoing. plus these guy's here are very knowlegdable on specs and where to buy. this is the sub I have had for about 4 months and it's awesome.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...bwoofer%20Each

 

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
stevethebrain is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off