Sound bar or 5.1 speakers + receiver for my small living room? (pic) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone.

I'm in the market to upgrade my sound. I listen to all my BR movies through my Sennheiser HDR 170. I stream the movies via HDMI from my PC to my LG 32LE5400.

Since I live in a small 1bdroom Apt, I decide to look around to see what is best for my living room space.

Here is how it looks like

I narrowed it down to the Yamaha YSP 2200 for $799.

For the 5.1 speaker + receiver setup, here's what I decided on:

Energy Take Classic System 5.1 Home Theater System $319 with coupon code

harman kardon avr1600 $281.77

My question is, will the YSP perform adequately for my living room size and shape? I like how it's small space saving and won't clutter up my already small living room. I don't mind paying more for quality. Or for the price, am I just better off saving my money and go for the 5.1 setup?

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Samsung 60 PN60F8500
Harman Kardon AVR1600
Mirage Unitheater soundbar
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450'S
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12"
Sennheiser HDR 170
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's my understanding that the YSP bars perform best in a room with walls perpendicular to the the speaker bar, rather than at 45 degree angles as in your corner setup. I have a Sony CT500 soundbar and just moved. It's remarkable how much better it sounds in the new space where there are perpendicular sidewalls and carpeted flooring, while my old apartment was open concept with hardwood floors and the sound was quite anemic. In your scenario, I'd consider a passive 3.0 soundbar, AVR, and sub for your setup. If you don't mind cables on the floor or ceiling, you could try for a 5.1 with side surrounds. Using 3 LCR speakers or 2 floorstanders and a center channel might not be optimal with your corner setup.

You could try asking in the soundbar subforum too.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
something you may want to consider is this Yamaha close-out home theater "controller". At the price, you can add the Energy speakers you are considering and try it out. The multispeaker approach will sound much better than a soundbar in your situation.
Sponsored Links
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page