5.1 Surround System.Speaker size small or large ? and what crossover? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a new 5.1 bose theatre system with a subwoofer and an ONKYO receiver.

What is the best speaker size to set , SMALL or LARGE ? and what's the best crossover?

Im new to speakers ,so im asking .Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
set the speakers to small. Which Onkyo receiver do you have btw? I can only assume it has Audyssey EQ or multiex or such. Have you ran the test? I would run the test then tweek it from there if needed
post #3 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

set the speakers to small. Which Onkyo receiver do you have btw? I can only assume it has Audyssey EQ or multiex or such. Have you ran the test? I would run the test then tweek it from there if needed

Its ONKYO TX-SR308. how can i run the test ? and also,the best crossover is 80hz,right ?
post #4 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

I tried looking for the 308 as I could not find the specs...just on the 307 & 309 is all. Is the 308 a part of a HTIB set up by chance?

To run the test you need a mic to run the Audyssey test. You may not have that in the 308 ... but no big deal. You can try starting at 80hz as thats the best starting point. It depends on the bose speakers as well, as they will have a reccomending setting such as 80/100/120/150 or such... or less depending on the series that is.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I tried looking for the 308 as I could not find the specs...just on the 307 & 309 is all. Is the 308 a part of a HTIB set up by chance?

To run the test you need a mic to run the Audyssey test. You may not have that in the 308 ... but no big deal. You can try starting at 80hz as thats the best starting point. It depends on the bose speakers as well, as they will have a reccomending setting such as 80/100/120/150 or such... or less depending on the series that is.

Mine is the bose acoust 6(5.1 with the bose subwoofer) . Speakers set to small and crossover at 80hz sound great.But the dialogue sound is not that high,and when an explosion takes part in the movies,the speakers go very high and i need to lower the volume and higher it up again for dialogue.My receiver also dont have night mode.What about tone -treble and bass ? keep at 0 or +1 or so ?
post #6 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Well its hard to pin point the options in a sence. Its one of the situations that require a bit of tweeking as each room and prefernace ( upon your part that is) to where its going to sound its best to you. Without "bashing" the bose line and set up... it might be best to maybe... just maybe... look into replacing the system ( IMO that is). My experiance with Bose is very limeted, so I cant say for sure how they perform, not to mention my prefernace my be much differnt than yours & vs verse. When you say "speakers go high" is that the surrounds or the entire ststem including the mains as well?
post #7 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well its hard to pin point the options in a sence. Its one of the situations that require a bit of tweeking as each room and prefernace ( upon your part that is) to where its going to sound its best to you. Without "bashing" the bose line and set up... it might be best to maybe... just maybe... look into replacing the system ( IMO that is). My experiance with Bose is very limeted, so I cant say for sure how they perform, not to mention my prefernace my be much differnt than yours & vs verse. When you say "speakers go high" is that the surrounds or the entire ststem including the mains as well?

Sounds of explosions , all of the things except for dialogue.The dialogue sound a little bit low.I watch movies via DTS sound mode.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 145
They tell you how to set up your speaker set in the manual
http://products.bose.com/pdf/custome.../og_am6_10.pdf

READ IT! Your answer is right there!

Large for all speakers and subwoofer/LFE on
post #9 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Since the Bose "Bass Modules" don't contain a real subwoofer, they usually don't get as low as a true subwoofer...also the Acuostimas system has several gaps in freq response (low, high and 100-500hz). Would that affect the cross over point? Just asking...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #10 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Since the Bose "Bass Modules" don't contain a real subwoofer, they usually don't get as low as a true subwoofer...also the Acuostimas system has several gaps in freq response (low, high and 100-500hz). Would that affect the cross over point? Just asking...

He would be worse off if he didn't follow the instructions that came with the speakers. While I am not a Bose fan I'll at least tell him how to properly hook it up.

OP- read the manual and follow the instructions !
post #11 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

He would be worse off if he didn't follow the instructions that came with the speakers. While I am not a Bose fan I'll at least tell him how to properly hook it up.

OP- read the manual and follow the instructions !

Well I open the bose manual one more time and set the speakers through the receiver as given in the manual.All speakers set to large,but what about the crossover ? My ears are not good enough to notice the difference between 80hz and 200hz.

Also,many people told me 80hz is the best to go with.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

Well I open the bose manual one more time and set the speakers through the receiver as given in the manual.All speakers set to large,but what about the crossover ? My ears are not good enough to notice the difference between 80hz and 200hz.

Also,many people told me 80hz is the best to go with.

whatever is the lowest though with all your speakers set to large the crossover will not be working so it doesn't matter really as it will not be working. Crossover only applies to speakers you set as "small" and yours should all be "large" so I would not worry about it

So no matter what you set the crossover at there will be no difference in sound
post #13 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just asking, or wondering...if the freq response of a speaker set might cause someone who knows what they are doing to alter the crossover point, especially since it is well know that the bose bass modules do not produce as low a feq sound as a true subwoofer...but apparently not and sorry I asked!

post #14 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 AM

OP, if you can find frequency response charts they will help you. The cubes drop off around 200-250Hz. That would mean you need to compensate with the sub. Unfortunately the receiver only maxes out at 150Hz. Other problem being, the higher your crossover point the muddier the sound becomes.

My reccomendation: set speakers to small and crossover at 150Hz. See if it's too muddy and lower your crossover point if necessary. But keep in mind, there's going to be a frequency gap between 150-250Hz which just worsens as you lower your crossover point.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChase View Post

OP, if you can find frequency response charts they will help you. The cubes drop off around 200-250Hz. That would mean you need to compensate with the sub. Unfortunately the receiver only maxes out at 150Hz. Other problem being, the higher your crossover point the muddier the sound becomes.

My reccomendation: set speakers to small and crossover at 150Hz. See if it's too muddy and lower your crossover point if necessary. But keep in mind, there's going to be a frequency gap between 150-250Hz which just worsens as you lower your crossover point.

That is NOT how you set up the Bose Acousticmass 6!!!!!!! If you are going to give advice at least understand how the system works

Bose is still in the world that our receivers don't have bass management so all speaker wire runs to the bass module which has internal crossovers in the bass module and handles everything. That's why Bose manual said to set the speakers to "Large".....
post #16 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

I was just asking, or wondering...if the freq response of a speaker set might cause someone who knows what they are doing to alter the crossover point, especially since it is well know that the bose bass modules do not produce as low a feq sound as a true subwoofer...but apparently not and sorry I asked!

That would involve him buying a separate subwoofer to do that properly.

The bass module has built in crossovers for each speakers for what their engineers Think sounds best
post #17 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 143
Bose is like Apple, they design their systems entirely around their own ecosystem of products without much thought to integration with 3rd party products. Its target audience doesn't want to deal with "crossovers", they just want plug-and-play. Nothing wrong with that except some customers don't know that up front.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #18 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Except developers are lining up to write apps for Apple products. And 3rd party mfrs make devices to work with ipods, iPhones, iPads, etc. Hence the Denons and Pioneers with Airplay.

Afro GT
post #19 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 PM

For all you frickin morons out there that can't read the owners manual(which, apparently, includes the OP)

Right there on page...10, figure 8...

The Blose Bass Attempting module has ALL FIVE SPEAKER WIRES connected to the receiver...ALL FIVE.

REPEATING...

ALL FIVE.

Then...the plain paper tweeter holders connect to the Bass Attempting module with PROPRIETARY WIRES.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Bose is like Apple except about 40 times smaller.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Except developers are lining up to write apps for Apple products. And 3rd party mfrs make devices to work with ipods, iPhones, iPads, etc. Hence the Denons and Pioneers with Airplay.

Yes, no doubt. Many folks like Apple's approach and they have a huge market share. 3rd party developers will do whatever they have to do to get a piece of it. Personally I'm not a fan of being locked into iTunes to interact with just about any Apple product, and I was a bit disappointed when I saw the iPhone 4 and aside from a better screen it looked identical to my wife's 5 year-old iTouch. It's like owning the exact same car, just newer....forever. But at the same time I respect the quality of their products and their marketing is first class.

It's just not for me. And neither is Bose. But to each his own.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #22 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

For all you frickin morons out there that can't read the owners manual(which, apparently, includes the OP)

Right there on page...10, figure 8...

The Blose Bass Attempting module has ALL FIVE SPEAKER WIRES connected to the receiver...ALL FIVE.

REPEATING...

ALL FIVE.

Then...the plain paper tweeter holders connect to the Bass Attempting module with PROPRIETARY WIRES.

So i should set my speakers all to large,good? What crossover do you suggest?
post #23 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

So i should set my speakers all to large,good? What crossover do you suggest?

As I said. Crossover only applies to speakers that you set as small.

Being as you should set all the speakers to "Large", crossover means NOTHING, so set it to whatever you want it will have NO effect

The Bass Module was built with internal crossovers so it will do all the crossing over
post #24 of 30 Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Ignore this dude. Being told 5 times by you...and me pointing out the page in the owners manual...

This guy still is asking STOOPID questions.

If you read the owners manual of the Blose Acousticrap system you wasted money on...you'd know the crossover YOU HAVE TO USE.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

and why bose is crap ? its sounds awesome.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

If Awesome is way better than you have listened too before, good for you! But the fact is that 2.5 inch woofer drivers, no matter who makes them, cannot produce full range sound and not a single tweeter in this system. And the LFE will be lacking because Bose does not use a subwoofer driver in its base module...

post #27 of 30 Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

That is NOT how you set up the Bose Acousticmass 6!!!!!!! If you are going to give advice at least understand how the system works

Bose is still in the world that our receivers don't have bass management so all speaker wire runs to the bass module which has internal crossovers in the bass module and handles everything. That's why Bose manual said to set the speakers to "Large".....

My bad, I was under the impression there was a third party sub and no Acoustimass module involved. No need to get pissy.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 AM

My friend, don't mind the locals they get restless sometimes.... especially when it comes to Bose.

Now if you don't mind me asking how much did you spend on this Bose system. I have personally heard the system as my uncle has one and I understand you enjoying the sound. However depending on the price you spent on it there are many other options that will give you much better sound and probably for a lower price. This is what the guys are thinking however are not saying because it is your system and if you are happy with that is all that matters. Where did you buy it from and how much was it?

Dear lord I saw it on there website for $799.00

If the folks on the forum would be as kind to send some links to comparable systems (ahem) they may be worth looking into.

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
post #29 of 30 Old 07-15-2011, 09:42 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882269024

Or you could piece together a nice system with floorstanders or bookshelves for less than the 799.00

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...Audio-Speakers

There are other guys that know where the better deals are than I do. Hopefully they will chime in, that is if this is the route you go.

BTW Im not saying your system is crap just wanted to give some other options and see if we can't get you the best deal in the end.

post #30 of 30 Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM

Something like this pieced together.

Fronts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290208

Center

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290212

Rears

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290202

All for 630 plus tax that will still leave you around 170-200 bucks for a sub that Im sure we could find you one that would be great. This system would eat the Acoustic alive. ... in my opinion. This is me assuming you live in the states.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page