5.1 Low dialogue volume.How can i turn it up ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the other week ,me and my father went to the store to purchase a 5.1 surround system and a 1080p LED for watching bluray movies.
We purchased the bose acous 6 , as we listened to it at the store in a sound proof room and it sounded amazing.
We also bought an onkyo amplifier.

So my question is this , i set up my speakers through the receiver as the bose manual said. All speakers set to LARGE , double bass off , and crossover wont really matter as the speakers are set to large.
But somehow ,when i watch DTS movies ,the dialogue sound is kinda low and when another things take part in the movies the sound goes really high.
Can i boost up the centre speaker (dB) ? Also,i dont have ''Night mode'' in my receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Usually I would say that this is more than likely a problem with room acoustics, but in your case I have to question the speakers. To be honest, it's always actually amazed me that, as bad as I think Bose sounds, that dialog can be heard at all from that little cube that's used as a center. But I know from my brother-in-law's acoustimass system, although it doesn't sound good to my ears, it is possible to hear the dialog.

So I think you need to look at your speaker placement and room to try to fix your problem. Did you use the Bose auto set-up? Turning up the center might help, but I doubt there is much headroom with your center, so you could end up over driving it and then you'd have a different issue.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #3 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Usually I would say that this is more than likely a problem with room acoustics, but in your case I have to question the speakers. To be honest, it's always actually amazed me that, as bad as I think Bose sounds, that dialog can be heard at all from that little cube that's used as a center. But I know from my brother-in-law's acoustimass system, although it doesn't sound good to my ears, it is possible to hear the dialog.

So I think you need to look at your speaker placement and room to try to fix your problem. Did you use the Bose auto set-up? Turning up the center might help, but I doubt there is much headroom with your center, so you could end up over driving it and then you'd have a different issue.

My acoust is in my Living Room and its wide.And its without a door,so it's pretty much open.I live in a flat so its difficult to put the acoust in another room with a door . I think that's what the problem is Also i dont like the centre speaker because its a small cube like the rest of the acoust speakers .
post #4 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

My acoust is in my Living Room and its wide.And its without a door,so it's pretty much open.I live in a flat so its difficult to put the acoust in another room with a door . I think that's what the problem is Also i dont like the centre speaker because its a small cube like the rest of the acoust speakers .

Do yourself a favor and read your receiver manual... It will tell you how to change the levels of all your speakers so just range the level of the center up a few points
post #5 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I really should stay out of this, but...

What are your room dimensions? The speakers you have are small; that is its largest selling point. The driver I believe within each is 2.5 inches in size, IMO not large enough to be classified as LARGE. If you do so, the AVR is counting on the speaker to be able to handle the full signal being fed to it.

I believe I saw that these speakers can only handle to 250 Hz, with a +/- 10 db range. So raising the center channel levels may not do much here. The sub cuts off about 150 Hz, so there is a gap in coverage in the lower spoken areas that won't be filled in.

My advice if you're going to stick with these speakers:

1. Raise the center channel level, but since these speakers are rated "between 4 and 8 ohms", you may have issues with clipping if you go too high.

2. Place the "sub" near the TV, since in this system the sub performs the unexpected function of carrying some of the dialogue.

3. I don't know the reason for setting these speakers as large. It may be that the Acoustimass system wants everything to see the full signal. That may be needed for the whole thing to work. If it were any other speaker system, I would take the published specs about the frequency response range and set the crossover to the proper value, setting the speakers to small. Since Bose doesn't publish specs, this is a nether land.

If it were me, I'd return these and get conventional speakers for the same price that perform well in the room. But it is your money, so good luck.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I really should stay out of this, but...

What are your room dimensions? The speakers you have are small; that is its largest selling point. The driver I believe within each is 2.5 inches in size, IMO not large enough to be classified as LARGE. If you do so, the AVR is counting on the speaker to be able to handle the full signal being fed to it.

I believe I saw that these speakers can only handle to 250 Hz, with a +/- 10 db range. So raising the center channel levels may not do much here. The sub cuts off about 150 Hz, so there is a gap in coverage in the lower spoken areas that won't be filled in.

My advice if you're going to stick with these speakers:

1. Raise the center channel level, but since these speakers are rated "between 4 and 8 ohms", you may have issues with clipping if you go too high.

2. Place the "sub" near the TV, since in this system the sub performs the unexpected function of carrying some of the dialogue.

3. I don't know the reason for setting these speakers as large. It may be that the Acoustimass system wants everything to see the full signal. That may be needed for the whole thing to work. If it were any other speaker system, I would take the published specs about the frequency response range and set the crossover to the proper value, setting the speakers to small. Since Bose doesn't publish specs, this is a nether land.

If it were me, I'd return these and get conventional speakers for the same price that perform well in the room. But it is your money, so good luck.

Maybe do yourself a favor and READ THE MANUAL to the boss system and you would realize that every single speaker is routed through the bass module so they are SUPPOSE TO BE SET TO LARGE. the bass module has internal crossovers of it's own that it's using
post #7 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Maybe do yourself a favor and READ THE MANUAL to the boss system and you would realize that every single speaker is routed through the bass module so they are SUPPOSE TO BE SET TO LARGE. the bass module has internal crossovers of it's own that it's using

Ive set everything to large ,crossover at 200hz.And raised the centre channel a little bit higher then the other speakers.Also,iv movied the sitting position a little bit forward ,and arranged Speakers distance too as they should be.But still , dialogue is still a little bit low to hear ,so i need the turn the receiver volume up.But when an action takes in,i would need to turn down the volume again.its pretty annoying.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bose=Blatantly Ordinary Sound Emerges...
post #9 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ive set everything to large ,crossover at 200hz.And raised the centre channel a little bit higher then the other speakers.Also,iv movied the sitting position a little bit forward ,and arranged Speakers distance too as they should be.But still , dialogue is still a little bit low to hear ,so i need the turn the receiver volume up.But when an action takes in,i would need to turn down the volume again.its pretty annoying.

1. YOUR CROSSOVER IS DOING NOTHING!!!!!! IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU SET IT AT AS IT IS DOING NOTHING!!!! Crossover only applies to speakers set to "Small", and your system REQUIRES you set your speakers to "Large". SO STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR CROSSOVER!

2. As I said before but your failed to read:
Quote:

Do yourself a favor and read your receiver manual... It will tell you how to change the levels of all your speakers so just range the level of the center up a few steps

Pg 34 of your manual will tell you how to do it!
Weblink to the PDF of your manual
Homework: Read your manuals to the bose speakers and receiver cover to cover 3 times each tonight
post #10 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

1. YOUR CROSSOVER IS DOING NOTHING!!!!!! IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU SET IT AT AS IT IS DOING NOTHING!!!! Crossover only applies to speakers set to "Small", and your system REQUIRES you set your speakers to "Large". SO STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR CROSSOVER!

2. As I said before but your failed to read:

Pg 34 of your manual will tell you how to do it!
Weblink to the PDF of your manual
Homework: Read your manuals to the bose speakers and receiver cover to cover 3 times each tonight

Are you really serious ? im not talking about my crossover,im just telling you what my settings are LOL.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Are you really serious ? im not talking about my crossover,im just telling you what my settings are LOL.

Anyways, I can see that the "Acoustimass" system expects to get the full range sound, so your settings on the receiver are ignored. If the direction is to use Large, then use that, the bass management on the receiver won't be used.

No telling how the Bose system distributes the sound, your best bet may be to increase the center channel's levels a couple of ticks, but be careful not to overdo it as these are small speakers that may not bear up well to being overdriven.

Checking out...
post #12 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Anyways, I can see that the "Acoustimass" system expects to get the full range sound, so your settings on the receiver are ignored. If the direction is to use Large, then use that, the bass management on the receiver won't be used.

No telling how the Bose system distributes the sound, your best bet may be to increase the center channel's levels a couple of ticks, but be careful not to overdo it as these are small speakers that may not bear up well to being overdriven.

Checking out...

Hey man , thanks for such info.I will stick with all speakers all set to large. What about the other speakers,should i increase their volume up ?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page