Speaker driver size and Audyssey DSX Front Height and Wide Channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As you can see below I have a mixture of Def Tech speakers. Ive always heard the front drivers should match...so I got the pm1000 and procenter 2000. Ive also heard that the backs shouldnt matter since most of the sound comes from the front anyway.

With these new front height and front wide channels would the same hold true for these
as they would with the rear surrounds? Could I just fill in the front heights and wides with promonitor 800's or should I pony up the money for all promonitor 1000's since these are all front channels.

My setup:

Denon 3312
Def Tech ProCenter 2000
Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 (front R/L)
Def Tech ProMonitor 800 (surround R/L)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Just my opinion here....

I would just use the Pro 800's for what you are talking about. I dont have height speakers but I do have wides. Its not to bad during certian movies in DSX mode but to be honest its not quite worth the extra money and time .... in my situation that is! You may find it will work out excellent for you thou?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidDroid View Post

As you can see below I have a mixture of Def Tech speakers. Ive always heard the front drivers should match...so I got the pm1000 and procenter 2000. Ive also heard that the backs shouldnt matter since most of the sound comes from the front anyway.

With these new front height and front wide channels would the same hold true for these
as they would with the rear surrounds? Could I just fill in the front heights and wides with promonitor 800's or should I pony up the money for all promonitor 1000's since these are all front channels.

My setup:

Denon 3312
Def Tech ProCenter 2000
Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 (front R/L)
Def Tech ProMonitor 800 (surround R/L)

According to Chris at Audyssey, since the front wides are an expansion of the front L/R they should be of the same make and model. You will sometimes get voices coming from the wides and they might sound a little off if mismatched. For the heights it is not as important because they act like surrounds in that they only give off ambient noises.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. BTW, how do the amps work with these channels? Mine is a 7.2 receiver but with the wides and heights it makes it an 11.2. Does the amp cut off at a certain point and power the extras?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. BTW, how do the amps work with these channels? Mine is a 7.2 receiver but with the wides and heights it makes it an 11.2. Does the amp cut off at a certain point and power the extras?

I am pretty sure if you have a 7.1 receiver you can only do tradiotional 5.1 with either surround back or height channels. There are only a few receivers that do 9.1 (I think they are the Onkyo 1008 3008 5008) and one that does 11.1 with an added external amp (Denon 4311).
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Im an idiot.

I assume if u are running a full typical 7.1 (i.e. Back surrounds), and your AVR is DSX capable, then you would need an external amp for the heights and an external amp for the wides.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im an idiot.

I assume if u are running a full typical 7.1 (i.e. Back surrounds), and your AVR is DSX capable, then you would need an external amp for the heights and an external amp for the wides.

I can't do 11.1with my Onk, but for the Denon I believe it has a 9 channel amp internal for heights and wides and you hook up the external amp for the backs. As far as I know Denon is the only one that can 11.1.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page