post #361 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

I think i would had already ordered the phiharmonic 2 if it wasnt the large imposing size for my smallish room.
I wonder if Dennis could be a little brother of the philharmonic.

I would say at this point, the Philharmonitor 2 is the little brother....IMO!!! A lot of speaker.....a lot!!!!

What do you think DM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

I would say at this point, the Philharmonitor 2 is the little brother....IMO!!! A lot of speaker.....a lot!!!!

What do you think DM?

How would they compare with the SoundScapeM7 with three drivers? Did you consider/audition those for your monitors?

They do look awesome!

post #363 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
is ok to talk price on this thread? i ask because the prices are clearly stated on the website for the floorstander speakers but nothing on the monitors. i'm curious how much the monitors are.... also curious about the specs on the monitors.
post #364 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

How would they compare with the SoundScapeM7 with three drivers? Did you consider/audition those for your monitors?

They do look awesome!

Thanks, they are awesome. Never heard the SoundScapeM7 only the SS12 and maybe the 10, don't remember. Honestly, I block out what I can't afford

Those monitors are way, way, out of my budget at 4699.00 base price. I am sure they are absolutely wonderful....anything Jim Salk does with Dennis is absolutely fabulous. The Songtowers are just stunning, so I can just imagine. I do not need a better-than-furniture grade finish in our setting anyway.

Based on Dennis' experience/expertise and having heard several Salk speakers, I decided on the Philharmonic for the price/design/value. Just cannot beat the price from such a talented designer.

And, since he was closer it was easy for me to hear them. And, a friend not too far from here recommended me to do take a listen and I am very happy I did.
post #365 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Are the monitors sealed or rear-ported? Since their back appears curved I am assuming sealed...

post #366 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

is ok to talk price on this thread? i ask because the prices are clearly stated on the website for the floorstander speakers but nothing on the monitors. i'm curious how much the monitors are.... also curious about the specs on the monitors.

Hi I used Woodsart's speakers to design the monitor. He got a good price because I got a design out of it. To be perfectly candid, these are very expensive to make. My parts cost is over $800/pr, not counting the cost of routing the baffles. The crossover is very complex--13 elements, and most of them are pricey. So these may not strike people as the same kind of bargain as the Phil 1's and 2's. I'll post them on my site when I have the price firmed up.
post #367 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 12
Go to the websites from Mapleshade and Herbie's Audio Lab for ideas on speaker/floor interface. When you are on the Mapleshade site, check out their binding post jumpers, I think you'll see a big improvement from the metal bar supplied. Try Bi Wiring if you have some extra cable, better than the metal bar by far.
Please don't rush the audio stuff when you are dealing with your Mother's passing. Time will help heal the hurt, so take care of the logistics and tend to your family first.

He said "the amount of fill adjusts the rear radiation from the midrange. The deepest soundstage will be provided with no fill, but in most rooms some fill will be desirable to reduce reflections and possible coloration in the midrange. Using all of the fill provided will basically convert the speakers to conmventional front radiators."

He did give ample, extra fill should I choose to add more.

I am still playing around with them, so I will report back.

I am hoping when I am done, I will be able to pull them away approximate 2 feet from the back wall and the cabinet, first the spikes (have those), then some type of glides or sliders.....any suggestions?

Just played the song......"Bass machine" by Techno Bass Crew using search on Grooveshark.com as the deep bass is powerfully accentuated and these just pumped it out....amazing. More than enough for me. Maybe I can get some measurements of these Philharmonitors.[/quote]

Kemper Holt
post #368 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Hi I used Woodsart's speakers to design the monitor. He got a good price because I got a design out of it. To be perfectly candid, these are very expensive to make. My parts cost is over $800/pr, not counting the cost of routing the baffles. The crossover is very complex--13 elements, and most of them are pricey. So these may not strike people as the same kind of bargain as the Phil 1's and 2's. I'll post them on my site when I have the price firmed up.

cool, thanks
post #369 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post

Go to the websites from Mapleshade and Herbie's Audio Lab for ideas on speaker/floor interface. When you are on the Mapleshade site, check out their binding post jumpers, I think you'll see a big improvement from the metal bar supplied. Try Bi Wiring if you have some extra cable, better than the metal bar by far.

[/quote]

The brass jumpers that are supplied will conduct electrons just fine. There will be no further improvement with different terminals or bi-wiring, only a shrinking of your bank account. The stock terminals are actually quite expensive as is. I really didn't cut any corners here.
post #370 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Dennis only rounded the corner of the front baffles so that it has better diffractions.
Just throwing that for a laugh...
Have a good day guys.
post #371 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis murphy View Post

the brass jumpers that are supplied will conduct electrons just fine. There will be no further improvement with different terminals or bi-wiring, only a shriking of your bank account.

+1
post #372 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Are the monitors sealed or rear-ported? Since their back appears curved I am assuming sealed...

Hey Rick, I needed as much bass as these could supply, so Dennis said ported would be better, there is a pic of it here.
LL
LL
LL
post #373 of 4724 Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Rick, I needed as much bass as these could supply, so Dennis said ported would be better, there is a pic of it here.

They look great. How close to your wall do you have them?

I needed to put my bookshelves almost against a wall, so my WOW1s have a front slot port (Jim should ship them next week - I envy you getting your new speakers this week).

post #374 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

The Monitors are about a foot, maybe....they are sort of caty-cornered, actually. Dennis said the CAOW1s were not too particular with placement, however, maybe he can chime in her.

Someone asked me the weight, but I haven't figured that one out, but the enclosure alone is 24lbs.

The sound is bold, forward and huge from these things and plenty of bass. Plenty!!! I mentioned earlier the song Bass Machine from Techo Bass Crew was excellent. And I am going to try to get some measurements. Love this fountek tweet as well

Honestly they sound like tall towers with the sound stage they produce.

But today, I will hope to get the spikes on the basses of the Phil2s, then try to figure out the best thing to use to move them in and out from the cabinet.

I would guess....just a guess, that there isn't really anything out there one could get to sound as good under 3K for a monitor of this quality, sound and size.

Just a guess.

I have auditioned B&W Wilsons, SS10/12, Songtower, infinities (owned), Cambride Audio, Klipsch, Tannoy, other monitors, but I can't remember.
post #375 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I am hoping when I am done, I will be able to pull them away approximate 2 feet from the back wall and the cabinet, first the spikes (have those), then some type of glides or sliders.....any suggestions?

Thanks for the info buddy. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for sliders or gliders, as I have little children and don't want them to be able to slide the speaker around by bumping them accidentally. I know there are some guys on the Salk forum at Audio Circle that use and love them; not sure which brand(s), though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #376 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, B, will check it out.
post #377 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi Deniis,
i was wondering if the Philharmonic are voice similar to Song tower center. Would there be a problem to use the song tower center to macth with the Philharmonic?

Thanks
post #378 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi Deniis,
i was wondering if the Philharmonic are voice similar to Song tower center. Would there be a problem to use the song tower center to macth with the Philharmonic?

Thanks

I want to know the exact thing!
post #379 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:

Hi Deniis,

Thanks

Based on the different Salk models I've heard and knowing Dennis's goal has been accuracy/flat frequency response, my guess would be that they would be voiced similarly.

post #380 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktheyank View Post

I want to know the exact thing!

And I was just thinking about that. I do have a center design with the Fountek ribbon and the SB Acoustics 5" midwoofer, but for the time being the cabinet will have to be made to order, and that's going to push the price up close to what Jim Salk is charging for the Song Center, and you would get Jim's great cabinet work. The only issue is that it uses the 0W2 dome tweeter, not a ribbon.
I don't think that's much of an factor for a center, which will mostly be handling spoken voice. The voicing would certainly match the Philharmonics. The other alternative if your setup allows it is just to use an upright MT as the center. I do have Woodsart's CA0W1's here, which would make excellent centers (or surrounds) and match the Phil 1 or 2's satin black finish. If I could get two orders for those, they would be $250 each.
post #381 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Wow. Seeing the pictures of those philharmonic 2 speakers makes me really excited. They look awesome. Even those grills look fantastic!
post #382 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

woodsart, I have Herbies Giant Fat Gliders under my Philharmonic 3's. I tried to post a link but I'm not allowed yet, so check out "Herbie's Audio Lab" and look for Giant Fat Glider. These are better than any coupling or decoupling device I have ever used. Also you can slide your speakers around for easy positioning. I have tried these on a couple of speakers and they made a significant improvement in bottom end as well as resolution. Highly recommended.
post #383 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwick View Post

woodsart, I have Herbies Giant Fat Gliders under my Philharmonic 3's. I tried to post a link but I'm not allowed yet, so check out "Herbie's Audio Lab" and look for Giant Fat Glider. These are better than any coupling or decoupling device I have ever used. Also you can slide your speakers around for easy positioning. I have tried these on a couple of speakers and they made a significant improvement in bottom end as well as resolution. Highly recommended.

I noticed them, however, the jury is still out as I have already purchased spikes, but have not installed them yet. Decisions....decisions!!!

And, those CAOW1's are awesome monitors!
post #384 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Wow. Seeing the pictures of those philharmonic 2 speakers makes me really excited. They look awesome. Even those grills look fantastic!

ADTG, they even look better in person, very well made.
post #385 of 4724 Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Quick impressions of my Phil 3s.
Vocals oustanding. Voice on Dennis' Demo Disc of Sarah McLachlan Angel are hauting in quality. Her voice is pitch perfect and seems to come from a limitless black background. You feel like you are in a small venue such as a club where she is on a slightly elevated stage a few feet from you, like a real person in the room with you rather than a recording of one. Similar for Jennifer Warnes Way Down Deep and Bird on a Wire from this disc you get a great 3d soundstage and outstanding female voice emerging. On former the bass truly made me smile and was felt as well as seen. Phantom of the Opera Music of the Night by Michael Crawford and Remember Me with he, Srah Brightman and ? I felt like I was at a real performance. The voices were perfectly placed in space stage right/left and had body and heft to them like an actor/actress in real life dimensions, again emotional and moving to listen to. Mormon Tabernacle Choir sounds like a real choir with appropriate size and power to the sound coming from the speaker and an image that is wider and deeper than the 12 ft between my mains. Even modern stuff like Beyonce and Rihanna sound realistic and well recorded even though maybe not the best material : ^)
instrumentation, again outstanding. Allows me to appreciate Dennis' role as a musician in the design and performance. Dvorak New World Symphony , Beethoven's 9th Ode to Joy sound like full orchestra with massed strings, brass, woodwinds etc all in proper place and true to the sound of the instrument producing them (i.e. a flute sounds like a flute and can hear artist taking breaths, violin can hear the bow drawing across strings and the low basses on Largo for the Dvorak piece had me smiling ear to ear. Dire Straits DVD-audio of Brothers in Arms palyers are arranged so that if close your eyes can 'see' everything like it was in the studio and Mark Knopfler's voice is extremely life-like.
Highly recommend Dennis' speakers as will never look back.
Greg
post #386 of 4724 Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks so much for that review, Greg. So do you like your new speakers?

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #387 of 4724 Old 01-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Greg....another happy camper!

My comment would be Agreed....agreed......and completely agree!
post #388 of 4724 Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the review!
post #389 of 4724 Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsimms View Post

Thanks for the review!

Yes--thanks for taking the time to share your impressions. I guess the demo CD I sent you actually works. I must be improving.
post #390 of 4724 Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Yes--thanks for taking the time to share your impressions. I guess the demo CD I sent you actually works. I must be improving.

Yep mine has worked from the get go so yet another skill you have mastered
Greg
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page