Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4621 of 4638 Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Dennis, any word from the field on the new Pio/Affordable Accuracy tower speakers?

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4638 Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Dennis, any word from the field on the new Pio/Affordable Accuracy tower speakers?

You're up early, Mud. Thanks for asking. I finally got the stock 52's in last week, and I'm starting into the mods. I haven't got them up on the site yet, but I will in a day or so.
post #4623 of 4638 Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Dennis,

I was curious if anything special is done when designing a crossover for a speaker that would be placed near a wall.

Also, are transmission line cabinet designs the only school of thought for designing a speaker that would live close to a wall?
Thanks for your thoughts.
post #4624 of 4638 Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkee View Post
Hi Dennis,

I was curious if anything special is done when designing a crossover for a speaker that would be placed near a wall.

Also, are transmission line cabinet designs the only school of thought for designing a speaker that would live close to a wall?
Thanks for your thoughts.
I've discovered that, all else equal, placing a speaker right up against a rear wall will make very little difference in the baffle step, and therefor not really require an adjustment in the crossover's baffle step compensation. If, however, the speaker is placed not only in close proximity to the rear wall, but also close to a side wall, that corner placement will probably cause boomy bass, and there's nothing to be done about that in terms of the crossover. If the speaker is flush-mounted in a wall, them the crossover does have to be modified to pretty much eliminate the baffle step compensation. A rear-ported bass-reflex cabinet should not be mounted very close to the rear wall. TL cabinets are less problematic in this respect, but a sealed design would be the least problematic, followed by a front-ported TL or bass reflex cabinet.
post #4625 of 4638 Old 06-20-2014, 10:30 AM

Liked: 11
Thank you for the insight.
post #4626 of 4638 Old 06-26-2014, 01:21 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagofm View Post

Hey guys -- anyone know where I can get some rolling trolley/cart/stands like the ones under these Phils? Seems like a great idea to make your Phils more transportable.
post #4627 of 4638 Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questhate View Post
Hey guys -- anyone know where I can get some rolling trolley/cart/stands like the ones under these Phils? Seems like a great idea to make your Phils more transportable.
I don't know where you can 'get' them. They are easy as pie to make. Cut (or get someone to cut) to size a block of 1" wood or laminated plywood, paint it, and buy - then screw in castors. It looks like rubber furniture cups are used that allow the bottom of the speaker to stand off/isolate from the base.
Questhate likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #4628 of 4638 Old 06-26-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
I don't know where you can 'get' them. They are easy as pie to make. Cut (or get someone to cut) to size a block of 1" wood or laminated plywood, paint it, and buy - then screw in castors. It looks like rubber furniture cups are used that allow the bottom of the speaker to stand off/isolate from the base.
Hmm, that's a good point. I'll try to make some this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #4629 of 4638 Old 06-27-2014, 10:59 AM

So today is my birthday. Today is also the day that I took delivery of some Philharmonic 3's. Happy happy joy joy.

I was the beneficiary of ADTG purging his collection of speakers and got a pair of Phil 3's at a great price. I've always had my eye on these Philharmonic speakers, ever since a friend of mine told me these were the only speakers he had heard that "disappeared" and transported him to Davies Symphony Hall. I actually put down a deposit on a pair of 3's from Dennis at the end of last year, but then had some issues come up in my life that forced me to reluctantly ask Dennis to cancel my order. He graciously obliged, but I always had it in the back of my mind to get a pair someday.

I'm coming from a pair of Magnepan 1.6's so it will be interesting to rediscover my music collection with some speakers that can reach down to 20hz. I recently moved to a place where the living room is much smaller (terrible room for the Phil 3's, but I couldn't pass these up), so it will be a bit tricky to dial in the placement. I may have them up against the front wall, or very close to it, and will be sitting maybe 6-8 ft back from the speakers. I understand that filling in the upper cabinet with stuffing and some slight toe-in will be the way to go, but I'll experiment and see how things shake out.

Anyway -- I'm super excited and looking forward to a weekend of music.
ahblaza likes this.
post #4630 of 4638 Old 06-27-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So today is my birthday. Today is also the day that I took delivery of some Philharmonic 3's. Happy happy joy joy.

I was the beneficiary of ADTG purging his collection of speakers and got a pair of Phil 3's at a great price. I've always had my eye on these Philharmonic speakers, ever since a friend of mine told me these were the only speakers he had heard that "disappeared" and transported him to Davies Symphony Hall. I actually put down a deposit on a pair of 3's from Dennis at the end of last year, but then had some issues come up in my life that forced me to reluctantly ask Dennis to cancel my order. He graciously obliged, but I always had it in the back of my mind to get a pair someday.

I'm coming from a pair of Magnepan 1.6's so it will be interesting to rediscover my music collection with some speakers that can reach down to 20hz. I recently moved to a place where the living room is much smaller (terrible room for the Phil 3's, but I couldn't pass these up), so it will be a bit tricky to dial in the placement. I may have them up against the front wall, or very close to it, and will be sitting maybe 6-8 ft back from the speakers. I understand that filling in the upper cabinet with stuffing and some slight toe-in will be the way to go, but I'll experiment and see how things shake out.

Congrats--you scored probably the nicest cabinets Del ever did. It will be interesting to see how the 3's do in that room. Obviously not the ideal location, but you never know. Did ADTG give you the demo CD? The first cut should tell you whether you're realizing the full bass potential.
post #4631 of 4638 Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Do you know if he is selling anything else?
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
post #4632 of 4638 Old 06-27-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I was the beneficiary of ADTG purging his collection of speakers and got a pair of Phil 3's....
Questhate gets some love!

hi-fidelity — why fight it?
post #4633 of 4638 Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Do you know if he is selling anything else?
Cheers Jeff
I forgot where I saw it (on another forum or thread) but he said he would. Contact him.
post #4634 of 4638 Old 06-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
I forgot where I saw it (on another forum or thread) but he said he would. Contact him.
I did and he still has some Kefs and Focals I believe, thanks.
charmerci likes this.

j_nordi
post #4635 of 4638 Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM

Hi All: Since there is no place on the Philharmonic website to place a review, is it cool to do it here? I wanted to place a review of the Philharmonitors, since unlike other brands (like Ascend), I don’t see a high volume of reviews for this speaker and I thought it might be helpful for those shopping around in the under-1000.00-category. I’m not an audiophile, in the technical sense. But I love to listen to well recorded music played faithfully. Excuse me if I don’t follow the conventional audiophile jargon in my description.

I use the Philharmonitors in a modest two-channel system consisting of:

NAD C370 Int Amp (120 watts per channel)
NAD C 541i CD Player
1980 Aiwa Linear Drive Turntable
Gram Amp Phono pre-amp

I enjoy listening to vinyl (obviously), as available, and listen to a wide range of music from A (Arvo Part - modern classical composer) to Z (Zeppelin). Just depends on mood.

My only other recent experience with fine sounding speakers were a pair of Ascend 170 CBMs (original version), which I owned for 10 years and was thoroughly satisfied with. Way back in 1980 I owned Chapman 3-ways from Seattle, but can’t recall how they sounded. Well, my beloved 170s now reside elsewhere and I needed replacements.

Impressions of the Philharmonitor:

Bass: "Let me turn off the sub…dum, de, dum, dum...Wait, I don't have a sub on this system. What?" The bass isn't just "useable" down to 42Hz (as described on the website), it's tight, clean, punchy and authoritative! I felt my floor vibrate on Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Dream of the Witches Sabbath. The tympani drums were explosive. On R.E.Ms Murmur, no particular song, turn it up. The bass amp is in the room; the notes sound authentic and you’re immediately in the groove. How about Holy Cole's CD Don't Smoke in Bed; the upright bass hits a low note that, again, I felt through the floor. I know my experience listening to HiFi speakers is limited, but the bass extension is impressive for a bookshelf-type monitor. I don't know what I'm missing by not using a sub, but for my listening pleasure, it doesn't matter. Again, tight, clean, punchy and authoritative.

Mids/Highs: I group these together because I don’t know where the cutoff is relative to what I’m hearing, but I have a feeling they interact closely. The vocals are not as prominent as what I’ve been used to hearing, but I like what I’m hearing. They sound natural, not over emphasized. The tweeter softens the emphasis of the ssssss energy, which I like. For instance, Diana Krall on “All or Nothing at All” (Love Scenes), the ssss energy of her voice has vanished and she sounds more relaxed and natural. But this tempering of the ssss energy does not detract from the tweeters ability to reproduce realistic cymbal crashes or the sense of air around instruments. When Michael Sexton is strumming his steel string guitar on Black Sheep, images of the strings themselves pop into my brain and I "feel" the strum. The sound of the Phils is very open.

Imaging/Soundstage: The soundstage is deep, no question. The music projects from the back walls of the room, not from the speakers. And this goes for all forms of music. The speakers give the illusion that they have nothing to do with the music I'm hearing; they are just objects in front of the stage. Thus, the speakers disappear. The soundstage width seems to vary with the material I listen to and my distance from the speakers. From my normal listening position of under 10 feet, the width of the soundstage is just beyond the speaker spread, but if I can get back to 11-12 feet (small room), the soundstage broadens noticeably.

Summary: Open, with great bass extension, balanced and natural sounding highs and mids. The speakers surprise me with how they can play rock. It’s easy to be impressed with how refined speakers reproduce jazz or folk. But the Phils rock. Play “The Name of the Band is Talking Heads” (2-CD Live) and play it loud. Your room is now the soundstage and you don’t cringe from the “wall of sound” effect or sizzling highs. Effortless and clean. You are now head banging.

I’ll end with a “Thank You” to Dennis for his wonderful sounding speakers. -DyedBlue
Gmash likes this.
post #4636 of 4638 Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyedBlue View Post
Hi All: Since there is no place on the Philharmonic website to place a review, is it cool to do it here? I wanted to place a review of the Philharmonitors, since unlike other brands (like Ascend), I don’t see a high volume of reviews for this speaker and I thought it might be helpful for those shopping around in the under-1000.00-category. I’m not an audiophile, in the technical sense. But I love to listen to well recorded music played faithfully. Excuse me if I don’t follow the conventional audiophile jargon in my description.

I use the Philharmonitors in a modest two-channel system consisting of:

NAD C370 Int Amp (120 watts per channel)
NAD C 541i CD Player
1980 Aiwa Linear Drive Turntable
Gram Amp Phono pre-amp

I enjoy listening to vinyl (obviously), as available, and listen to a wide range of music from A (Arvo Part - modern classical composer) to Z (Zeppelin). Just depends on mood.

My only other recent experience with fine sounding speakers were a pair of Ascend 170 CBMs (original version), which I owned for 10 years and was thoroughly satisfied with. Way back in 1980 I owned Chapman 3-ways from Seattle, but can’t recall how they sounded. Well, my beloved 170s now reside elsewhere and I needed replacements.

Impressions of the Philharmonitor:

Bass: "Let me turn off the sub…dum, de, dum, dum...Wait, I don't have a sub on this system. What?" The bass isn't just "useable" down to 42Hz (as described on the website), it's tight, clean, punchy and authoritative! I felt my floor vibrate on Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, Dream of the Witches Sabbath. The tympani drums were explosive. On R.E.Ms Murmur, no particular song, turn it up. The bass amp is in the room; the notes sound authentic and you’re immediately in the groove. How about Holy Cole's CD Don't Smoke in Bed; the upright bass hits a low note that, again, I felt through the floor. I know my experience listening to HiFi speakers is limited, but the bass extension is impressive for a bookshelf-type monitor. I don't know what I'm missing by not using a sub, but for my listening pleasure, it doesn't matter. Again, tight, clean, punchy and authoritative.

Mids/Highs: I group these together because I don’t know where the cutoff is relative to what I’m hearing, but I have a feeling they interact closely. The vocals are not as prominent as what I’ve been used to hearing, but I like what I’m hearing. They sound natural, not over emphasized. The tweeter softens the emphasis of the ssssss energy, which I like. For instance, Diana Krall on “All or Nothing at All” (Love Scenes), the ssss energy of her voice has vanished and she sounds more relaxed and natural. But this tempering of the ssss energy does not detract from the tweeters ability to reproduce realistic cymbal crashes or the sense of air around instruments. When Michael Sexton is strumming his steel string guitar on Black Sheep, images of the strings themselves pop into my brain and I "feel" the strum. The sound of the Phils is very open.

Imaging/Soundstage: The soundstage is deep, no question. The music projects from the back walls of the room, not from the speakers. And this goes for all forms of music. The speakers give the illusion that they have nothing to do with the music I'm hearing; they are just objects in front of the stage. Thus, the speakers disappear. The soundstage width seems to vary with the material I listen to and my distance from the speakers. From my normal listening position of under 10 feet, the width of the soundstage is just beyond the speaker spread, but if I can get back to 11-12 feet (small room), the soundstage broadens noticeably.

Summary: Open, with great bass extension, balanced and natural sounding highs and mids. The speakers surprise me with how they can play rock. It’s easy to be impressed with how refined speakers reproduce jazz or folk. But the Phils rock. Play “The Name of the Band is Talking Heads” (2-CD Live) and play it loud. Your room is now the soundstage and you don’t cringe from the “wall of sound” effect or sizzling highs. Effortless and clean. You are now head banging.

I’ll end with a “Thank You” to Dennis for his wonderful sounding speakers. -DyedBlue
Nice review. Thanks.
post #4637 of 4638 Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 PM

A Reply to my Philharmonitor Review

Hi Saturn94 - It was my pleasure, surely. In a way, it was kind of a long-winded Thank You note to Dennis for enhancing my music listening pleasure immeasurably. Not that I would gain anything from this, but I wish more Philharmonitor owners would post their reviews too, to help spread the word. I believe these speakers are true sleepers and deserve to be auditioned and praised more widely. I’m loving their sound more and more each listening day. –DyedBlue
post #4638 of 4638 Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyedBlue View Post
Hi Saturn94 - It was my pleasure, surely. In a way, it was kind of a long-winded Thank You note to Dennis for enhancing my music listening pleasure immeasurably. Not that I would gain anything from this, but I wish more Philharmonitor owners would post their reviews too, to help spread the word. I believe these speakers are true sleepers and deserve to be auditioned and praised more widely. I’m loving their sound more and more each listening day. –DyedBlue
It does seem that Dennis' speakers have that affect. Congrats!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page