Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 156 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4651 of 4668 Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Oh, I thought you had discontinued the 22s. That's why I was confused. I bet a full set with the 52s up front would sound great.

I hope I'm able to try out the Slims Jr's or the Philharmonitors eventually. All of your products seem to offer a lot of value for the money. Especially the Affordable Accuracy line.

Well, it would be less confusing if I got everything posted on my site, but I'm scrambling to get stuff ready for the Capital Audio Fest and to fill the AA orders I already have. I'll get everything together. Sometime.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4652 of 4668 Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Well, it would be less confusing if I got everything posted on my site, but I'm scrambling to get stuff ready for the Capital Audio Fest and to fill the AA orders I already have. I'll get everything together. Sometime.
Haha, well have fun at the show, what are you taking with you?
Gmash is online now  
post #4653 of 4668 Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Haha, well have fun at the show, what are you taking with you?

Well, I'm starting with several dozen Philharmonic Audio chocolate chip cookies. They always seem to get the best reviews from Stereophile. If anyone wants to listen to speakers, I'll have a pair of rosewood Phil 3's, the new Phil Slims Jr's, the Philharmonitors, and the Affordable Accuracy monitors and towers.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
post #4654 of 4668 Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Senior Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Wow, so the 52s are $275 a pair, I thought you were talking about the 22s, great job Dennis.
Cheers Jeff

j_nordi
ahblaza is online now  
post #4655 of 4668 Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Mmmm. cookies...
Gmash is online now  
post #4656 of 4668 Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
charmerci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
If anyone wants to listen to speakers, I'll have a pair of rosewood Phil 3's, the new Phil Slims Jr's, the Philharmonitors, and the Affordable Accuracy monitors and towers.
Wish I could go and listen to those!
charmerci is offline  
post #4657 of 4668 Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Newbie
 
palm101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Philharmonic "Slim Jr." Tower

Has anyone received them? Listening impressions?
palm101 is online now  
post #4658 of 4668 Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Member
 
awarsoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by palm101 View Post
Has anyone received them? Listening impressions?
Which? I have the AA center and bookshelf fronts and surrounds (Dennis did different work internally as he knew one pair was for surrounds). I'm having the time of my life watching movies. Wife and kids can't be gone long enough (c:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
awarsoca is offline  
post #4659 of 4668 Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by palm101 View Post
Has anyone received them? Listening impressions?
HI. I've only delivered a couple of the Slims Jr's so far, and not to people who frequent the forums. But I will have a pair at the Capital Audio Fest starting this Friday.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
post #4660 of 4668 Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: the area formerly known as Black Forest
Posts: 4,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 192
My Salk built Philharmonic center with a RAAL, tangband mid and dual woofers arrives tomorrow along with a 15" Salk Rhythmik sub. Unfortunately, my wife has not yet picked out an entertainment center so I haven't mounted the TV or set up the system for the room it will be in but I'll post pics as soon as I do.
charmerci likes this.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is offline  
post #4661 of 4668 Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Member
 
fsimms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
HI. I've only delivered a couple of the Slims Jr's so far, and not to people who frequent the forums. But I will have a pair at the Capital Audio Fest starting this Friday.
I am surprised that you haven't sold more of the Slims. Although I haven't heard them, from hearing the Philharmonic 2's, I would think the Slims would be at the top of someone's choice in it's category. At the price, you can't beat it for a tower speaker that has a natural sound.

Bob
fsimms is offline  
post #4662 of 4668 Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
prestonrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got back from CAF after hearing the Phil 3's, Slim Jr's and Affordable monitors. All three were the most impressive in the show, IMHO, especially in their respective price categories! Great job, Dennis! You deserve all the accolades I'm sure you'll receive.
prestonrich is offline  
post #4663 of 4668 Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
prestonrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post
Just got back from CAF after hearing the Phil 3's, Slim Jr's and Affordable monitors. All three were the most impressive in the show, IMHO, especially in their respective price categories! Great job, Dennis! You deserve all the accolades I'm sure you'll receive.


I was so busy listening to those great speakers and talking to you and Jim Salk that I completely overlooked the fact that your famous chocolate chip cookies were missing at your show
prestonrich is offline  
post #4664 of 4668 Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
marjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have heard a lot about the Affordable monitors as I am searching for some bookshelf speakers. I have already tried the Pioneers and while they were alright I was not blown away. Are the upgrades really that impressive? How much of a difference do the changes make and how high up the chain can they compete?

Mark-
marjen is offline  
post #4665 of 4668 Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post
I was so busy listening to those great speakers and talking to you and Jim Salk that I completely overlooked the fact that your famous chocolate chip cookies were missing at your show

You can blame the Sheraton Hotel management for that. They threatened to close down any room that had food or drink not prepared by the hotel. And I haven't heard great things about the Sheraton chocolate chippies.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
post #4666 of 4668 Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
prestonrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The best thing I can say about the Sheraton's chocolate chip cookies is that they don't have any.
prestonrich is offline  
post #4667 of 4668 Old 07-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
prestonrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
I have heard a lot about the Affordable monitors as I am searching for some bookshelf speakers. I have already tried the Pioneers and while they were alright I was not blown away. Are the upgrades really that impressive? How much of a difference do the changes make and how high up the chain can they compete?
The upgrades to the Pioneers that Dennis made were remarkable. Dennis had his large Phil 3's, Slim Jr's and the Affordable Monitors there at CAF, and, as I said, those monitors completely stole the show.

People kept constantly coming up front to look for the subwoofer when the monitors were playing (and there was no subwoofer!) or to see which speaker set was actually playing at the time. In fact they usually asked for "A/B's" between the monitors and the 3's because the differences between them were so unbelievably subtle. All that for $165/pair!

The enormous difference between the Pioneer's and the AAM's can be totally attributable to Dennis's remarkable crossover mods. He said it takes him a day to mod each set of Pioneer's.

I was truly impressed.

Last edited by prestonrich; 07-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.
prestonrich is offline  
post #4668 of 4668 Old 07-27-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post
The upgrades to the Pioneers that Dennis made were remarkable. Dennis had his large Phil 3's, Slim Jr's and the Affordable Monitors there at CAF, and, as I said, those monitors completely stole the show.

People kept constantly coming up front to look for the subwoofer when the monitors were playing (and there was no subwoofer!) or to see which speaker set was actually playing at the time. In fact they usually asked for "A/B's" between the monitors and the 3's because the differences between them were so unbelievably subtle. All that for $165/pair!

The enormous difference between the Pioneer's and the AAM's can be totally attributable to Dennis's remarkable crossover mods. He said it takes him a day to mod each set of Pioneer's.

I was truly impressed.
Thanks for posting your reactions, Preston. I just want to clarify a couple of points. First, the stock Pioneers are unquestionably an excellent bargain. And the woofer and cabinet tuning are superb--I'm not sure how Pioneer got so much clean and extended bass out of a little 4" woofer. I kept the woofer in tact, and all I did to the cabinet was add adhesive sound treatment to the inner walls. The main change is a new tweeter, which is made by the Scandinavian company Vifa. I revised the crossover to integrate the new tweeter properly, and to add some baffle step compensation to the woofer to provide more detail in the midrange and hand over more of the reproduction duties to the tweeter.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off