13Likes

post #4681 of 4690 Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Another example of why one should do business with an ID speaker company like Philharmonic and others who most of us know from spending time on AVS who's owners make that extra effort to ensure your satisfaction. Plus they take time to share their knowledge and answer our questions. They also offer a tremendous value by carving out the middle-man. Very impressive Dennis, hopefully some day I will have the opportunity to hear your speakers.

By the way my Dad had 601s - running off a Marantz quadriphonic receiver, my intro to high fidelity at 11 years old
You're a child 😉 compared to this old man. Dennis and I are about the same age but he can run marathons around me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4690 Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Here are a couple of pics from Preston's Ye Olde Audio Shoppe....

The Olde (Giving Bose a bad name, are you? )

The new...a beautiful finish on the Phils to compliment the lovely bureau...

And the Slims in situ...

Gmash likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #4683 of 4690 Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Very nice. Like the clock, too.
post #4684 of 4690 Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the pic posts, RJ! There really needs to be a better way to do this from an iPhone.

Bet you didn't notice the receiver quietly tucked away on the floor under the dried flowers underneath the bureau plat. See the little light there?Helps resolve any WAF issues 😉.

Actually, my wife is very happy w/the setup and loves the very transparent yet more mellow sound of the Slims compared to the rejuvenated Bose 601s in the adjoining Florida room.

However, I won't disclose here which room she really prefers to listen to our classical music in though. Is it the speakers, the sunshine or Memorex--just not quite sure 😉.

Last edited by prestonrich; 08-01-2014 at 07:47 AM.
post #4685 of 4690 Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
I unboxed my Salk built Philharmonic center last night. Dimensions were 24.5" wide X 12.75" deep X 12.5" tall.

Pictures don't do it justice. It really is great looking. Heavy too. I don't know how accurate it is but the truck driver who delivered my Salk Rythmik 15" sub and this center said the shipping weight of the two items was 279lbs.

What center speakers are these? I do not see anything on the Philharmonic site about these. The components look similar to the Philharmonic Slim Jr. If this is in the same family, it may be worth considering a HT with 4 Jr's plus this center. What is the cost of this center? How do you think this would work as a condo HT system where there is major consideration towards music?
post #4686 of 4690 Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post
What center speakers are these? I do not see anything on the Philharmonic site about these. The components look similar to the Philharmonic Slim Jr. If this is in the same family, it may be worth considering a HT with 4 Jr's plus this center. What is the cost of this center? How do you think this would work as a condo HT system where there is major consideration towards music?
Hi. That center started as a one off to match an owner's Phil Slims sr (now discontinued and replaced by the jr's). It uses the same RAAL tweeter as in the Phil 3, and the same mid and woofer in the slims jr. The price in a standard veneer and finish (like the one shown) would be $1495, and it would be built by Jim Salk. It should work equally well for music or HT.
post #4687 of 4690 Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Hi. That center started as a one off to match an owner's Phil Slims sr (now discontinued and replaced by the jr's). It uses the same RAAL tweeter as in the Phil 3, and the same mid and woofer in the slims jr. The price in a standard veneer and finish (like the one shown) would be $1495, and it would be built by Jim Salk. It should work equally well for music or HT.
Thanks Dennis. This now gives me a reasonable choice for the center. But upon showing my wife the picture of this speaker, he first reaction was concern that it may te too large for a number of my clients. I recommend systems to clients and these with Slim Jr's seem like they would make a good high quality Condo HT system. As these will rarely need to operate above 80db, it may even be possible to operate without a sub or use a sub only for the LFE.

Does your standard price include speaker grills? What finishes are avaiable as standard for the Slim Jr?

I was thinking, would a configuration with the same exact components as the Slim Jr. be practical, arranged tightly horizontally as:

Tang Band Titanium W4-1337SD - RAAL - Single Seas L16NX 6"

and trying to keep the design height as much below 8" as possible to fit in typical TV stands. (OK to be deeper)

Thank you for your response AND insights as well as your designs.
post #4688 of 4690 Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Do you have a weight (actual weight - not shipping weight) on this center speaker?
post #4689 of 4690 Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
I unboxed my Salk built Philharmonic center last night. Dimensions were 24.5" wide X 12.75" deep X 12.5" tall.

Pictures don't do it justice. It really is great looking. Heavy too. I don't know how accurate it is but the truck driver who delivered my Salk Rythmik 15" sub and this center said the shipping weight of the two items was 279lbs.

Can you please post pictures of your LCR setup upon completion?
post #4690 of 4690 Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I will. The entertainment center is supposed to get here tomorrow or Friday and my WHA distribution amp gets here Friday so I'll hopefully get it all pieced together this weekend.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page