Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 146Likes

post #4681 of 5039 Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Another example of why one should do business with an ID speaker company like Philharmonic and others who most of us know from spending time on AVS who's owners make that extra effort to ensure your satisfaction. Plus they take time to share their knowledge and answer our questions. They also offer a tremendous value by carving out the middle-man. Very impressive Dennis, hopefully some day I will have the opportunity to hear your speakers.

By the way my Dad had 601s - running off a Marantz quadriphonic receiver, my intro to high fidelity at 11 years old
You're a child 😉 compared to this old man. Dennis and I are about the same age but he can run marathons around me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 5039 Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Here are a couple of pics from Preston's Ye Olde Audio Shoppe....

The Olde (Giving Bose a bad name, are you? )

The new...a beautiful finish on the Phils to compliment the lovely bureau...

And the Slims in situ...

Eternal Velocity and Gmash like this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #4683 of 5039 Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Very nice. Like the clock, too.
post #4684 of 5039 Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks for the pic posts, RJ! There really needs to be a better way to do this from an iPhone.

Bet you didn't notice the receiver quietly tucked away on the floor under the dried flowers underneath the bureau plat. See the little light there?Helps resolve any WAF issues 😉.

Actually, my wife is very happy w/the setup and loves the very transparent yet more mellow sound of the Slims compared to the rejuvenated Bose 601s in the adjoining Florida room.

However, I won't disclose here which room she really prefers to listen to our classical music in though. Is it the speakers, the sunshine or Memorex--just not quite sure 😉.

Last edited by prestonrich; 08-01-2014 at 07:47 AM.
post #4685 of 5039 Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
I unboxed my Salk built Philharmonic center last night. Dimensions were 24.5" wide X 12.75" deep X 12.5" tall.

Pictures don't do it justice. It really is great looking. Heavy too. I don't know how accurate it is but the truck driver who delivered my Salk Rythmik 15" sub and this center said the shipping weight of the two items was 279lbs.

What center speakers are these? I do not see anything on the Philharmonic site about these. The components look similar to the Philharmonic Slim Jr. If this is in the same family, it may be worth considering a HT with 4 Jr's plus this center. What is the cost of this center? How do you think this would work as a condo HT system where there is major consideration towards music?
post #4686 of 5039 Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post
What center speakers are these? I do not see anything on the Philharmonic site about these. The components look similar to the Philharmonic Slim Jr. If this is in the same family, it may be worth considering a HT with 4 Jr's plus this center. What is the cost of this center? How do you think this would work as a condo HT system where there is major consideration towards music?
Hi. That center started as a one off to match an owner's Phil Slims sr (now discontinued and replaced by the jr's). It uses the same RAAL tweeter as in the Phil 3, and the same mid and woofer in the slims jr. The price in a standard veneer and finish (like the one shown) would be $1495, and it would be built by Jim Salk. It should work equally well for music or HT.
post #4687 of 5039 Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Hi. That center started as a one off to match an owner's Phil Slims sr (now discontinued and replaced by the jr's). It uses the same RAAL tweeter as in the Phil 3, and the same mid and woofer in the slims jr. The price in a standard veneer and finish (like the one shown) would be $1495, and it would be built by Jim Salk. It should work equally well for music or HT.
Thanks Dennis. This now gives me a reasonable choice for the center. But upon showing my wife the picture of this speaker, he first reaction was concern that it may te too large for a number of my clients. I recommend systems to clients and these with Slim Jr's seem like they would make a good high quality Condo HT system. As these will rarely need to operate above 80db, it may even be possible to operate without a sub or use a sub only for the LFE.

Does your standard price include speaker grills? What finishes are avaiable as standard for the Slim Jr?

I was thinking, would a configuration with the same exact components as the Slim Jr. be practical, arranged tightly horizontally as:

Tang Band Titanium W4-1337SD - RAAL - Single Seas L16NX 6"

and trying to keep the design height as much below 8" as possible to fit in typical TV stands. (OK to be deeper)

Thank you for your response AND insights as well as your designs.
post #4688 of 5039 Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Do you have a weight (actual weight - not shipping weight) on this center speaker?
post #4689 of 5039 Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I unboxed my Salk built Philharmonic center last night. Dimensions were 24.5" wide X 12.75" deep X 12.5" tall.

Pictures don't do it justice. It really is great looking. Heavy too. I don't know how accurate it is but the truck driver who delivered my Salk Rythmik 15" sub and this center said the shipping weight of the two items was 279lbs.

Can you please post pictures of your LCR setup upon completion?
post #4690 of 5039 Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I will. The entertainment center is supposed to get here tomorrow or Friday and my WHA distribution amp gets here Friday so I'll hopefully get it all pieced together this weekend.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #4691 of 5039 Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I so want one of those. Albeit I can live with black oak to match my Phil 2s (the ones you sent me a few years back).
post #4692 of 5039 Old 08-30-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post
I so want one of those. Albeit I can live with black oak to match my Phil 2s (the ones you sent me a few years back).
I've been working on ways to get the price down without sacrificing performance, and I hope to finish up a design over the next couple of weeks that replaces the pricey RAAL 10D tweeter with the new and cheaper entry in the RAAL line. That, combined with a simpler cabinet finish process, could knock off $300 - $400.
post #4693 of 5039 Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wink

Quote:
I've been working on ways to get the price down without sacrificing performance, and I hope to finish up a design over the next couple of weeks that replaces the pricey RAAL 10D tweeter with the new and cheaper entry in the RAAL line. That, combined with a simpler cabinet finish process, could knock off $300 - $400.
something in gloss black to match my dayton audio .75 curved back phillharmonitors you built for me would be fantastic!
post #4694 of 5039 Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been really enjoying my Philharmonitors. I've been meaning to write a lengthy review on my experience with the speakers but I can't help but spend all of my spare time using the speakers instead. I only have a few $500+ speaker setups, but I have auditioned many, and at $850, these speakers are a steal. Extremely balanced, no boominess, tons of clarity. To keep it short, I've never heard such deep, warm sound come from such small woofers (6.5"). The only issues I've had with them would relate to the grills and the cabinet assembly. When taking off the grills (they come with them installed), the first one came off with one of the grill peg sockets attached to the grill. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little super glue. I attempted to be extra careful taking off the 2nd grill, and one of the grill pegs broke off into the grill socket.
post #4695 of 5039 Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
something in gloss black to match my dayton audio .75 curved back phillharmonitors you built for me would be fantastic!
It would be fantastic. Fantastically expensive, anyhow. That kind of finish requires hours and hours of polishing in a hand-built cabinet. That's why they invented China.
post #4696 of 5039 Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
I've been really enjoying my Philharmonitors. I've been meaning to write a lengthy review on my experience with the speakers but I can't help but spend all of my spare time using the speakers instead. I only have a few $500+ speaker setups, but I have auditioned many, and at $850, these speakers are a steal. Extremely balanced, no boominess, tons of clarity. To keep it short, I've never heard such deep, warm sound come from such small woofers (6.5"). The only issues I've had with them would relate to the grills and the cabinet assembly. When taking off the grills (they come with them installed), the first one came off with one of the grill peg sockets attached to the grill. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little super glue. I attempted to be extra careful taking off the 2nd grill, and one of the grill pegs broke off into the grill socket.
Yup--the grill pegs are an issue. I didn't source the cabinets, but if I had, I would've gone for the metal pegs. But I'm glad the sound is up to snuff. Thanks for the report.
post #4697 of 5039 Old 09-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yup--the grill pegs are an issue. I didn't source the cabinets, but if I had, I would've gone for the metal pegs. But I'm glad the sound is up to snuff. Thanks for the report.
Up to snuff indeed. Thanks for the killer speakers. Either KRK was being deceptive with their technical specifications or someone is being to humble when rating the frequency range on these speakers. My Rokit 8's were rated down to 45Hz. According to the Philharmonic site, it says 42Hz, but these things are definitely a lot more than 3Hz deeper. I ran some low-frequency tests on Youtube and these Philharmonitors extend low. The roll off might start at around 42Hz, but it's not nearly as steep as I'd have expected. My main goal was to find some monitors that don't need a sub and I feel like these perfectly qualify.

Really though, I can't overstate my satisfaction. I was worried I was entering a state of diminishing returns spending more than $500 on smaller sized studio monitors, but I'm gladly surprised to be completely wrong. Anyone with any interest in the Philharmonitors, I fully recommend them. You get what you paid for and then some!
post #4698 of 5039 Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup--the grill pegs are an issue.
And here I was, so proud of how well I'd ""broken in"" my Phil 2s
post #4699 of 5039 Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Philharmonitors go low

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
Up to snuff indeed. Thanks for the killer speakers. Either KRK was being deceptive with their technical specifications or someone is being to humble when rating the frequency range on these speakers. My Rokit 8's were rated down to 45Hz. According to the Philharmonic site, it says 42Hz, but these things are definitely a lot more than 3Hz deeper. I ran some low-frequency tests on Youtube and these Philharmonitors extend low. The roll off might start at around 42Hz, but it's not nearly as steep as I'd have expected. My main goal was to find some monitors that don't need a sub and I feel like these perfectly qualify.
This is exactly how I feel about my Philharmonitors. See my review on page 155. From a bookshelf monitor?! Really?! Good to see other Philharmonitor reviews. Need to spread the word. These speakers are killer for $850. -DyedBlue
post #4700 of 5039 Old 09-04-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 682

Hey guys, any thoughts of five of these (Philharmonic) monitors in a home theater/music setup with one for a center in vertical orientation, they will be used with multiple 15" dual opposed sealed subwoofers. TIA
Cheers Jeff
post #4701 of 5039 Old 09-04-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey guys, any thoughts of five of these (Philharmonic) monitors in a home theater/music setup with one for a center in vertical orientation, they will be used with multiple 15" dual opposed sealed subwoofers. TIA
Cheers Jeff
I guess you have to define "home theater". The fact that you've got four fifteen inch drivers suggests to me you're really pushing the limits, and I'm not sure five two-way bookshelf speakers of any sort are really ideal at those kind of SPLs.
post #4702 of 5039 Old 09-04-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post
I guess you have to define "home theater". The fact that you've got four fifteen inch drivers suggests to me you're really pushing the limits, and I'm not sure five two-way bookshelf speakers of any sort are really ideal at those kind of SPLs.
I kind of thought you would say that that's why I included the subs. I've been looking at very large monitors (don't know if they would be considered monitors) with dual 10" woofers and a horn tweeter. It's just hard to pass on these for the price of $850 the pair, might try a pair in a two channel rig that I'm setting up with a smaller sub. Thanks for bringing me back down to ground.
post #4703 of 5039 Old 09-04-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I kind of thought you would say that that's why I included the subs. I've been looking at very large monitors (don't know if they would be considered monitors) with dual 10" woofers and a horn tweeter. It's just hard to pass on these for the price of $850 the pair, might try a pair in a two channel rig that I'm setting up with a smaller sub. Thanks for bringing me back down to ground.
That's a tough call. If the only function of the new speakers will be for HT, and HT at maximum SPL's, then the Phil's probably aren't the way to go. If crossed to your subs, they will certainly play very loud, but not as loud as the dual 10" wooer-horn tweet speakers you're considering. The end of the world will definitely sound more convincing with the horn jobs. But if the movie happens to be about Wagner, or uses Wagner as a sound track, I'm pretty sure the Phil's will sound more like Wagner.
ahblaza likes this.
post #4704 of 5039 Old 09-05-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you are talking about pro speakers such as the Berhinger Ultrabass BB210, then I'd say you need to reconsider the HT. Multiple subs AND these types of things? Sounds great for cracking plaster, but not so great at rendering quality audio.

Here's a vote for Phils all the way around!

MARGARITAS,
post #4705 of 5039 Old 09-05-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
If you are talking about pro speakers such as the Berhinger Ultrabass BB210, then I'd say you need to reconsider the HT. Multiple subs AND these types of things? Sounds great for cracking plaster, but not so great at rendering quality audio.

Here's a vote for Phils all the way around!
I am defininitely thinking of the Phil Jrs and always have been. The speakers are custom design and not even available yet and they are not Pro speakers. I'm not trying to rip the house down, I just want a lot of output. The Phil Jrs are my first speaker of choice, it's very hard not to snatch a pair for $2000. Thanks for the input.
post #4706 of 5039 Old 09-05-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am defininitely thinking of the Phil Jrs and always have been. The speakers are custom design and not even available yet and they are not Pro speakers. I'm not trying to rip the house down, I just want a lot of output. The Phil Jrs are my first speaker of choice, it's very hard not to snatch a pair for $2000. Thanks for the input.
Hi,

I just can't imagine that such a setup with all that bass would be passable in anything but a subwoofer contest. It would be fun, though...

But I'm not sure even Dennis could design a dual 10" 'monitor' with a hoohaw tweeter that wouldn't overdrive the bass in your proposed, multi-sub system. You'll need some mids in there somewhere, lol.

Yeah, the P Jr.s would be great...unless you have a huge room...say 8,000 cu.ft. and larger. There the Sr.'s would do admirably.

Nevertheless, have tons o' fun putting together your new HT.
ahblaza likes this.

MARGARITAS,
post #4707 of 5039 Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Hi,

I just can't imagine that such a setup with all that bass would be passable in anything but a subwoofer contest. It would be fun, though...

But I'm not sure even Dennis could design a dual 10" 'monitor' with a hoohaw tweeter that wouldn't overdrive the bass in your proposed, multi-sub system. You'll need some mids in there somewhere, lol.

Yeah, the P Jr.s would be great...unless you have a huge room...say 8,000 cu.ft. and larger. There the Sr.'s would do admirably.

Nevertheless, have tons o' fun putting together your new HT.
Thanks, I am. My room is just about 3400cf with an opening of 8' midway down the left side wall. I think the Jrs would be just fine, custom center and Phil monitors for sides. Although the Srs are equally tempting.
post #4708 of 5039 Old 09-05-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=ahblaza;27177578]Thanks, I am. My room is just about 3400cf with an opening of 8' midway down the left side wall. I think the Jrs would be just fine, custom center and Phil monitors for sides. Although the Srs are equally tempting.[/QUOT

Just as a factual comment, the Sr's are dead, long live the jr's. I dropped the Sr's because they didn't offer enough extra to justify the price premium over the jr's. I just redid my site to get everything up to date and simplified.
post #4709 of 5039 Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Dennis Murphy;27177714]
Quote:
Thanks, I am. My room is just about 3400cf with an opening of 8' midway down the left side wall. I think the Jrs would be just fine, custom center and Phil monitors for sides. Although the Srs are equally tempting.[/QUOT

Just as a factual comment, the Sr's are dead, long live the jr's. I dropped the Sr's because they didn't offer enough extra to justify the price premium over the jr's. I just redid my site to get everything up to date and simplified.
Thanks Dennis, I spoke in detail with Alex when they were a design in your head and after numerous PMs with Alex he mentioned what an awesome speaker this is going to be and I imagine they are but after finding out your costs and then mine they were above my pay scale, I was disappointed to say the least. The juniors are in my opinion as attractive and should satisfy just about anybody except those with larger spaces to fill and whom listen at reference levels. I have neither the space or listen at reference levels, I think they will be right at home here in my place, if the Phil monitors are getting the high praise that they are, I can only imagine the Jrs at a grand a piece, thanks again for the clarification.
Best Regards, Jeffrey
post #4710 of 5039 Old 09-05-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good move, and I kind of saw it coming
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page