Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #4741 of 4749 Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 372
You guys are starting to make me wish I would have bought the Phil 2 when it first came out (I heard the prototype at Dennis'). :-(

I just couldn't get past the looks though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 4749 Old 10-12-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
You guys are starting to make me wish I would have bought the Phil 2 when it first came out (I heard the prototype at Dennis'). :-(

I just couldn't get past the looks though.
The looks were, uh, special. But so was the price. I'm toying with the idea of bringing them back, but with the new OEM RAAL tweeter. That, together with the SB Acoustics woofer instead of the Scanspeak, with save a big chunk of change over the 3's, with no change in sonic quality above 31 Hz. But I would never be able to match the original $2,000 price because the cabinets would still have to be custom made. It would probably be more like $2600 - $2700.
post #4743 of 4749 Old 10-12-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
The looks were, uh, special. But so was the price. I'm toying with the idea of bringing them back, but with the new OEM RAAL tweeter. That, together with the SB Acoustics woofer instead of the Scanspeak, with save a big chunk of change over the 3's, with no change in sonic quality above 31 Hz. But I would never be able to match the original $2,000 price because the cabinets would still have to be custom made. It would probably be more like $2600 - $2700.
Of course I completely understood the design goal was pure performance, not high WAF (or in my case, my own AF...lol). They were an absolute steal at $2k!

Fast forward to the present, I'm quite happy with my Soundfield Audio Monitor 1 (another 1 man/ small company offering huge audio bargains).

Perhaps one day I'll be a proud Phil owner, but due to job instability and changing priorities, all audio purchases have been put on hold. Where's that damn winning lottery ticket when you need it......lol.

Keep up the great work, Dennis.

PS - I have a friend that's interested in hearing Phils, so hopefully we can arrange a visit to Wehawken Studios in January. (I hope I remembered that name correctly )
post #4744 of 4749 Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post
High praise is that when I add my sub to my system, I would put the Phil 2s in an appropriate room against anything in the world at any price
I agree with this statement. When I added a SVS sub through my Tact preamp to my friend's Phil 2s, The sound was hard to fault. As natural sounding as I have ever heard. A true window into the preformance.

Bob
post #4745 of 4749 Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Dennis,

I have said many times your products offer great value.
But with regard to the looks of the phil 3 or2, i gotta say, how about some cabinet design change? Maybe an ordinary boxy look? with a slanted bottom baffle? IMO, i cant pass the look either. You could possibly get some other opnions as well.
post #4746 of 4749 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Or you could offer a less aggressive top section where the semi open cabinets is less slanted on the side. I just thought they remind me of something i lay after i died.

Anything else, keep up the great work.
post #4747 of 4749 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
Or you could offer a less aggressive top section where the semi open cabinets is less slanted on the side. I just thought they remind me of something i lay after i died.

Anything else, keep up the great work.
There are acoustical reasons for the current shape. The pyramid shape of the upper cabinet avoids any box coloration in the midrange, and also reduces diffraction effects in the tweeter response. The bottom box is kind of a pain to build as is, and I don't think I would want to introduce any further complications by changing the shape. I'm afraid the 3 is pretty much what it is. It's the best sounding speaker I know how to make, and I probably won't fiddle with the shape. In the new style with the slanted front and back, it's almost pretty OK sort of .
post #4748 of 4749 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal
My question is how would the slims and the 3's compare to the KEF R700 and the Wharfedale Jade 5's? Those 2 were my front runners but I've become intrigued by philharmonic and was hoping for some input and comparisons.
As someone who owns a complete KEF R floorstanders 5.1 setup and Ascend Sierra Tower RAAL, I against buying the KEF for HT. The super detailed highs needed for FX just isn't there and not enough ambiance. The KEFs are pleasant relaxing speakers which I regretted getting for watching movies. You can do better with cheaper dynamic speakers like Arx A5 or Golden Ear 7 for HT application. I haven't heard any Phil but those RAALs can perform both in HT and critical listening. In any case avoid the R series.
post #4749 of 4749 Old Today, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
There are acoustical reasons for the current shape. The pyramid shape of the upper cabinet avoids any box coloration in the midrange, and also reduces diffraction effects in the tweeter response. The bottom box is kind of a pain to build as is, and I don't think I would want to introduce any further complications by changing the shape. I'm afraid the 3 is pretty much what it is. It's the best sounding speaker I know how to make, and I probably won't fiddle with the shape. In the new style with the slanted front and back, it's almost pretty OK sort of .
I am new to this forum, but all I can say Mr. Murphy the Phil 3's are great sounding speakers. I've listened to them many times at Alex's (fuzz) and they sound amazing. They are perfect for critical listening and also for HT. Don't change anything on them, you've got a winner there. As far as looks go, I think they look great. But then again I like things that are different then your regular norm.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page