Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
That looks very nice!!

What is the veneer and stain?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4656 Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Philharmonitor 2

The Review

"Defining A Natural High Definition Listening Experience?"

This is what I will attempt to do in this my critiquing of this amazing Monitors.

Not too long ago Dennis Murphy retired and had planned a group of "retirement speakers", the Philharmonic 1, 2 and 3 and viola....Philharmonicaudio.com was born!

The 1 & 3 were a big hit at CAF by many who attended, Capital Audio Festival. I was there and the listening room was busy the entire time I was there.

A "first" impression by John Atkinson from Stereophile realized what a bargain the Philharmonic 3s were.

Then, there was a request for a monitor, (not surprised), then the birth of the Philharmonitor 1, which was received quite well.....as mentioned below by the happy owner, don't think he would mind.......

"I finally had a chance to hook up the bookshelves. After a lengthy
break-in period and dialing in the sub and such, I must say I am very
impressed. I don't have the jargon to say explain what I am hearing. But
words such as: neutral; a very deep sound stage; fast and dynamic;
engrossing and just flat out musical is what keeps swirling around in
my head. Can only imagine what your floor standers must sound like....

The performance outweighs the cost"

I was very interested in these so, Dennis recommended a larger enclosure as I needed more bass and thus the Philharmonitor 2 was born!! The cabinet used was the Dayton 2 way curved gloss black from Parts Express .75' and will house the Seas Prestige ER18RNX Reed Paper Cone Woofer and the Fountek NeoCd3. Dennis will correct me if I am wrong. And, seems to me the most important ingredient is the meticulously created/designed crossover, which I believe is the basis for these Philharmonitor 2s outstanding audio performance.

Some music I listen to that impressed me, but first......what drives them..... My equipment is simple in the office area where the monitors are powered by.....a Musical Paradise MK2 Tube Amp 6.5wpc ...... HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC, Simplyphysics RCA cables and Asus Desktop CM6850, with Comcast as my provider. I stream Pandora, Grooveshark.com and onboard listening with the Jriver Media Player, which I highly recommend. I listen mostly to FLAC recordings.

"Somewhere Within" by Joe Bongiorno, starting with Piano, really nice with these monitors. The Founteks really shined, clean, precise and airy. Loved those ringing piano cords with no distortion that I could hear. Piano and violin is always an issue with me as most of the time, it just didn't sound clear and clean, but distorted. NOT with these, though.

"Ceremonial Fanfare" Trumpet and Trombones by Copeland. Very majestic, grand fanfare. The dissident, erie/airy notes produced by the trombones create great variation in this song and the forward trumpets bring on the chills. Both the Fountek and the Seas performed meticulous feats with this score. I love it.

"Bass Machine" by Techno Bass, very nice, clean solid low notes by hey these are not small monitors, they're huge and sound more like towers to me anyway, with the BIG sound/soundstage they produce.

"05 Basscadet" by Autechre, thump, thump....chicca Chang, plenty of every kind of squeaks, tings and tangs. The Fountek loved this and the Seas just deliver soothingly smooth and tight bass.

"Lowride", also Autechre, bold bass, nice, "where's the sub", one might say. But, not overpowering or earthshaking, but a good balance without the adjustments and quite enough without that "big bad bass" going on. Monitors being about 12" from the walls and 9' apart.

"Mechanism", by Lior Magal, Soundstage witht he Tube Amp and the MSII+ is just stunningly huge. Seems it's a good match for the monitors, thump, thump, such a "joy to enjoy", so much big, bold, clear sound even at the 9:00 volume position.

"Hallelujah" by Instrumental, Kind of like Kenny G's solo instrument that he uses, as it leads into this very laid back instrumental version, beautifully done and executed by these speakers.

Well, at this point maybe I should mention the room size which is approximately 11.5' X 11.5' 9' ceilings with carpet....(pic included).

Dennis has another winner....IMHO! Another pair of monitors....without flaws, dunno, but probably flawless to me would recommend with hesitation if you are looking for an incredible set of monitors for 2 channel listening with out a sub. They can handle just about anything and produce just about everything........beautifully.

There were issues with the 2 Genelax Gold Lion tubes, so they were removed and the stock tubes replaced them. At my surprise the Philharmonitor 2s didn't even notice....Ha Ha!!!! Instead they continued to astonish me with solid clean quality I know I will enjoy in the years to come, without a doubt.

I believe to me and my ears, the Philharmonitor 2s offer all the ingredients for the best audiophile, musical experience that other speakers lack in one form or another of all the ones I have heard, except a few.

The Philharmonic line of speakers have truly satisfied my audio needs. My journey was hard as there are other speakers that I could live with and almost did, but I am very happy I waited for Dennis' line and they "will" truly be classics some day. I also own the Philharmonic 2 floor standers too.

Just a thought, I believe I could have been very happy with the Philharmonic 1 too, as the Fountek really does a smooth job with the highs in the violins, piano notes and trumpets!

Congratulations Dennis Murphy for a job well done and thank you for my great speakers.

philharmonicaudio.com
LL
LL
post #453 of 4656 Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Philharmonitor 2

The Review

"Defining A Natural High Definition Listening Experience?"

This is what I will attempt to do in this my critiquing of this amazing Monitors.

Not too long ago Dennis Murphy retired and had planned a group of "retirement speakers", the Philharmonic 1, 2 and 3 and viola....Philharmonicaudio.com was born!

The 1 & 3 were a big hit at CAF by many who attended, Capital Audio Festival. I was there and the listening room was busy the entire time I was there.

A "first" impression by John Atkinson from Stereophile realized what a bargain the Philharmonic 3s were.

Then, there was a request for a monitor, (not surprised), then the birth of the Philharmonitor 1, which was received quite well.....as mentioned below by the happy owner, don't think he would mind.......

"I finally had a chance to hook up the bookshelves. After a lengthy
break-in period and dialing in the sub and such, I must say I am very
impressed. I don't have the jargon to say explain what I am hearing. But
words such as: neutral; a very deep sound stage; fast and dynamic;
engrossing and just flat out musical is what keeps swirling around in
my head. Can only imagine what your floor standers must sound like....

The performance outweighs the cost"

I was very interested in these so, Dennis recommended a larger enclosure as I needed more bass and thus the Philharmonitor 2 was born!! The cabinet used was the Dayton 2 way curved gloss black from Parts Express .75' and will house the Seas Prestige ER18RNX Reed Paper Cone Woofer and the Fountek NeoCd3. Dennis will correct me if I am wrong. And, seems to me the most important ingredient is the meticulously created/designed crossover, which I believe is the basis for these Philharmonitor 2s outstanding audio performance.

Some music I listen to that impressed me, but first......what drives them..... My equipment is simple in the office area where the monitors are powered by.....a Musical Paradise MK2 Tube Amp...... HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC, Simplyphysics RCA cables and Asus Desktop CM6850, with Comcast as my provider. I stream Pandora, Grooveshark.com and onboard listening with the Jriver Media Player, which I highly recommend. I listen mostly to FLAC recordings.

"Somewhere Within" by Joe Bongiorno, starting with Piano, really nice with these monitors. The Founteks really shined, clean, precise and airy. Loved those ringing piano cords with no distortion that I could hear. Piano and violin is always an issue with me as most of the time, it just didn't sound clear and clean, but distorted. NOT with these, though.

"Ceremonial Fanfare" Trumpet and Trombones by Copeland. Very majestic, grand fanfare. The dissident, erie/airy notes produced by the trombones create great variation in this song and the forward trumpets bring on the chills. Both the Fountek and the Seas performed meticulous feats with this score. I love it.

"Bass Machine" by Techno Bass, very nice, clean solid low notes by hey these are not small monitors, they're huge and sound more like towers to me anyway, with the BIG sound/soundstage they produce.

"05 Basscadet" by Autechre, thump, thump....chicca Chang, plenty of every kind of squeaks, tings and tangs. The Fountek loved this and the Seas just deliver soothingly smooth and tight bass.

"Lowride", also Autechre, bold bass, nice, "where's the sub", one might say. But, not overpowering or earthshaking, but a good balance without the adjustments and quite enough without that "big bad bass" going on. Monitors being about 12" from the walls and 9' apart.

"Mechanism", by Lior Magal, Soundstage witht he Tube Amp and the MSII+ is just stunningly huge. Seems it's a good match for the monitors, thump, thump, such a "joy to enjoy", so much big, bold, clear sound even at the 9:00 volume position.

"Hallelujah" by Instrumental, Kind of like Kenny G's solo instrument that he uses, as it leads into this very laid back instrumental version, beautifully done and executed by these speakers.

Well, at this point maybe I should mention the room size which is approximately 11.5' X 11.5' 9' ceilings with carpet....(pic included).

Dennis has another winner....IMHO! Another pair of monitors....without flaws, dunno, but probably flawless to me would recommend with hesitation if you are looking for an incredible set of monitors for 2 channel listening with out a sub. They can handle just about anything and produce just about everything........beautifully.

There were issues with the 2 Genelax Gold Lion tubes, so they were removed and the stock tubes replaced them. At my surprise the Philharmonitor 2s didn't even notice....Ha Ha!!!! Instead they continued to astonish me with solid clean quality I know I will enjoy in the years to come, without a doubt.

I believe to me and my ears, the Philharmonitor 2s offer all the ingredients for the best audiophile, musical experience that other speakers lack in one form or another of all the ones I have heard, except a few.

The Philharmonic line of speakers have truly satisfied my audio needs. My journey was hard as there are other speakers that I could live with and almost did, but I am very happy I waited for Dennis' line and they "will" truly be classics some day. I also own the Philharmonic 2 floor standers too.

Just a thought, I believe I could have been very happy with the Philharmonic 1 too, as the Fountek really does a smooth job with the highs in the violins, piano notes and trumpets!

Congratulations Dennis Murphy for a job well done and thank you for my great speakers.

philharmonicaudio.com

WOW! What an excellent review, Wood!! That was very well done!! The cabinets look outstanding. (I even like the art on the walls :P). Very well done, buddy! Congrats to you for your beautiful new 'toys'. And to you Dennis for offering such an outstanding deal!!

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #454 of 4656 Old 01-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

WOW! What an excellent review, Wood!! That was very well done!! The cabinets look outstanding. (I even like the art on the walls :P). Very well done, buddy! Congrats to you for your beautiful new 'toys'. And to you Dennis for offering such an outstanding deal!!

Thanks, Monkish, I appreciate it.....and I meant every word of it too.
post #455 of 4656 Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

That looks very nice!!

What is the veneer and stain?

Red mahogany. High-gloss.
post #456 of 4656 Old 01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acudeftechguy View Post

red mahogany.

stunning!

HAVE:

post #457 of 4656 Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 AM

Liked: 10
I'm very curious about these speakers, but I also just bought a pair of Triton Twos from Goldenear. Measurements are clearly superior on the philharmonic, but man would I like to listen to them before I give my wife the bad news . I'm in Chicago, by the way.

On the off chance that any of you here have heard both of these speakers I would appreciate your thoughts.
post #458 of 4656 Old 02-01-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatic001 View Post

I'm very curious about these speakers, but I also just bought a pair of Triton Twos from Goldenear. Measurements are clearly superior on the philharmonic, but man would I like to listen to them before I give my wife the bad news . I'm in Chicago, by the way.

On the off chance that any of you here have heard both of these speakers I would appreciate your thoughts.

Is there anything in particular you don't like about the Goldenear? Speaker lust based on measurements can be a dangerous thing. I absolutely agree you should hear the Philharmonics before springing for them. Right now there aren't any in the Chicago area. But I will probably be bringing the 2's to the Audio Karma show near Ann Arbor in April.
post #459 of 4656 Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Is there anything in particular you don't like about the Goldenear? Speaker lust based on measurements can be a dangerous thing. I absolutely agree you should hear the Philharmonics before springing for them. Right now there aren't any in the Chicago area. But I will probably be bringing the 2's to the Audio Karma show near Ann Arbor in April.

I've always been in love with dipole sound, but I just couldn't live with the anemic dynamics of planar designs. Of course price *is* an object for me and I thought I'd hit the sweet spot with the Triton Twos at 2.5k for a pair.

Is there anything wrong with the Goldenear sound? Nothing I can't live with. They really do image spectacularly, but they don't completely disappear like a dipole can. The bass goes very deep, but in the 50-200hz range the big 'ol horns they are replacing are a tad superior.

On the upside, I paid 2.5k for the Tritons and the price just went up to 3k for a pair. There's a chance I could get out of them and even make a few bucks if the right pair of speakers come along.
post #460 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Good morning everyone!

Completely agree with you Dennis, hearing the Phil 1,2 and 3s would be advantageous for anyone looking for high quality sparkling sounding speakers.

I say that because Gail and I were watching a poorly recorded movie, not the movie itself as it was very well done. But in this day and time, the best sound production equipment is out there, but I suppose every Producer can't afford it. In this case, however, the Phil2s made a bad sounding soundtrak good sounding!

Or maybe it was that a very good recording, you be the judge....

This was the first time I had heard this in a movie...... A man getting out of a car, shutting the door, the latch became quite obvious...aaaah crystal clear, but when he stepped out and his foot hit the pavement grit, then still for a moment, with a twist of the shoe is when I noticed something different, something I have never heard before. Maybe it is what the Director wanted as it was dead silent around the subject. It was really funny (:

The RAALs may have showed me their capabilities in producing the most delicate, insignificant sound effects of which were not meant to be or maybe. A shoe turning on the grit creating that quirky gritty abrasive particles sound is probably insignificant, but is added interest to that scene and more realism to the movie. Can't wait to see what else they can do!
post #461 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Great review, Robert! Thank you for taking the time to do that. I am very happy for you.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #462 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Dennis,

Is there any possiblities to incorporate the raal in to the philharmonic monitor?
post #463 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Del completed one cabinet. Mighty dusty, though.

post #464 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Those are awesome - two thumbs up!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #465 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Absolutely stunning job.....Dell. He knows what he is doing. You are going to enjoy those when you get them!!!
post #466 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

Dennis,

Is there any possiblities to incorporate the raal in to the philharmonic monitor?

Hi Not unless I switched to the OEM RAAL, which would require a large order that I don't think I could use just on the monitors. The regular RAAL would have to be crossed higher than I'm comfortable crossing the large ER18 woofer. The Fountek ribbon is more robust and can handle a lower crossover point. There is an excellent monitor out there with the RAAL OEM and the top-of-the-line Seas Excel 7" driver--the Salk HT1. It's pricey, but any monitor will be with such expensive drivers.
post #467 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Not unless I switched to the OEM RAAL, which would require a large order that I don't think I could use just on the monitors. The regular RAAL would have to be crossed higher than I'm comfortable crossing the large ER18 woofer. The Fountek ribbon is more robust and can handle a lower crossover point. There is an excellent monitor out there with the RAAL OEM and the top-of-the-line Seas Excel 7" driver--the Salk HT1. It's pricey, but any monitor will be with such expensive drivers.

How about a 3way, with a midrange such as 2 in accuton or morel?
post #468 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about a 3way, with a midrange such as 2 in accuton or morel?

A 3-way monitor? That would end up as expensive as the 1's or even 2's. I don't think there would be a market for it.
post #469 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

A 3-way monitor? That would end up as expensive as the 1's or even 2's. I don't think there would be a market for it.

Sounds like a SoundScape M7...

post #470 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I was very interested in these so, Dennis recommended a larger enclosure as I needed more bass and thus the Philharmonitor 2 was born!! The cabinet used was the Dayton 2 way curved gloss black from Parts Express .75' and will house the Seas Prestige ER18RNX Reed Paper Cone Woofer and the Fountek NeoCd3.

This got my attention. In this day and age of exotic speaker materials, why did you chose to go with a paper cone?

There is a little history on why I ask this question. Growing up as a kid, I listened to music on vinyl records played through on Philips HI-Q International Sound system model 932 with matching Philips Hi-Q full range 8" paper speakers with dual cones. There were no crossovers and the sound was the most delightful I have ever listened to.

post #471 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Paper has made a come-back, although the new models tend be be either coated and/or made out of stiffer stock--like the "reed" cones (bamboo?). The paper units tend to have a smoother breakup at upper frequencies, which simplifies crossover design and gives you more flexibility in crossover frequencies. Both of the Philharmonic woofers (the SB and the Scan) are paper and can operate up to 600 Hz easily to mate with the planar midrange.
post #472 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Dennis

Now that you have my order, please do not get close to any Prius's.

Thanks,

Randy
post #473 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy bessinger View Post

dennis

now that you have my order, please do not get close to any prius's.

Thanks,

randy

roflmao!

HAVE:

post #474 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

Dennis

Now that you have my order, please do not get close to any Prius's.

Thanks,

Randy

In-joke. But it involves a pedestrian-Prius encounter that ended with a severed hamstring. They should put "forward" horns on them things. Or they should all have subwoofers thrumming at 40 Hz.
post #475 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well it depends.
if a 3 way monitor end up at the price of the phil2, then it is going to be another great bargain speaker from you. A monitor is also alot smaller then the philharmonic so they will be more suitable for smaller room.
post #476 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it depends.
if a 3 way monitor end up at the price of the phil2, then it is going to be another great bargain speaker from you. A monitor is also alot smaller then the philharmonic so they will be more suitable for smaller room.

Well, maybe in theory. But things are already too complicated. Hmmmmm.
Maybe I should change the name to Facebook Audio and go public. Lots of seed money for product extensions and proliferations.
post #477 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis murphy View Post

maybe i should change the name to facebook audio and go public. Lots of seed money for product extensions and proliferations.

lmao!!

HAVE:

post #478 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Go for it!
post #479 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

go for it!

+1

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #480 of 4656 Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Go for it!

Thanks for the encouragement. The IPO will be announced shortly. We are
conservatively valued at $3 Billion. Don't let this opportunity pass you by.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page