Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #4831 of 4860 Old 01-05-2015, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shhhh, why'd you spoil it?

My puppy was getting really lonely so Dennis and I worked out a deal for the first Philharmonic Audio dog order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4860 Old 01-06-2015, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quick question about the Phil 3's if I may (I have a pair in the works)... This is in regards to the open back design of the mid range, does the treatment (for lack of a better word) of my front wall matter since it will be reflecting a bit of sound for ambiance effect? I currently have a collection of smallish framed photos and prints (with glass) hanging on the front wall, I'm wondering about this vs. plain sheetrock (removing the framed photos) vs hanging a couple of absorption panels. Please humor me if this is a silly question, I'm just thinking through my room setup so I can have everything prepared for when the speakers are ready. Thanks!

Edited: I plan on the front face of the Phil 3's to measure about 6' +/- off the front wall.

Last edited by T. Perinne; 01-06-2015 at 12:47 PM.
post #4833 of 4860 Old 01-06-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Perinne View Post
Quick question about the Phil 3's if I may (I have a pair in the works)... This is in regards to the open back design of the mid range, does the treatment (for lack of a better word) of my front wall matter since it will be reflecting a bit of sound for ambiance effect? I currently have a collection of smallish framed photos and prints (with glass) hanging on the front wall, I'm wondering about this vs. plain sheetrock (removing the framed photos) vs hanging a couple of absorption panels. Please humor me if this is a silly question, I'm just thinking through my room setup so I can have everything prepared for when the speakers are ready. Thanks!

Edited: I plan on the front face of the Phil 3's to measure about 6' +/- off the front wall.
Hi. I wouldn't worry about it. The bandwidth of the reflected sound will be quite narrow, and not of a frequency that would be much influenced by glass vs. drywall. My 3's are very close to the front wall, which is actually mostly a glass window. I have a very heavy curtain I can close, but frankly I can't hear any difference with it closed vs. open.
post #4834 of 4860 Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 207
So I was hoping the surprise would be out by now. Any hints beyond 38lbs each?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #4835 of 4860 Old 01-06-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
So I was hoping the surprise would be out by now. Any hints beyond 38lbs each?

I'm afraid it will have to remain a semi-mystery for awhile. It is a speaker, not a retriever. But I'm so swamped with Affordable Accuracy orders right now that I won't have time to make any of these puppies for awhile. And I don't know what the first buyer will think of it. All I will say is that it's a very large 3-way full-range monitor with a special midrange, and that I plan to price it below it below a certain(much smaller) 2-way monitor that uses the same RAAL tweeter.
ahblaza likes this.
post #4836 of 4860 Old 01-08-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Calling December Affordable Accuracy Buyers

I'm hoping a few people who ordered Affordable Accuracy monitors before Xmas will see this. My computer crashed and I've lost shipping addresses for a few people who ordered during December. If your name is Mike, Lin, or Kelley, please e-mail me so I can ship your speakers. Thanks!
post #4837 of 4860 Old 01-08-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'm hoping a few people who ordered Affordable Accuracy monitors before Xmas will see this. My computer crashed and I've lost shipping addresses for a few people who ordered during December. If your name is Mike, Lin, or Kelley, please e-mail me so I can ship your speakers. Thanks!
My name is Mike L. Kelley. Please PM me for address.
duc135 likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #4838 of 4860 Old 01-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
My name is Mike L. Kelley. Please PM me for address.
...and I'm Kelley M. Lin!!!
Mudslide likes this.
post #4839 of 4860 Old 01-08-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
...and I'm Kelley M. Lin!!!

And neither of you is getting squat. Unless you know how to fix an XP computer. Yes, I know XP isn't supported anymore, but all of my measurement and design programs can only run on XP.
post #4840 of 4860 Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And neither of you is getting squat. Unless you know how to fix an XP computer. Yes, I know XP isn't supported anymore, but all of my measurement and design programs can only run on XP.
Easy peasy - go here.

I'll PM you my new address....
post #4841 of 4860 Old 01-08-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Easy peasy - go here.

I'll PM you my new address....
What would be easy peasy is for one of you comedians to fly out here and get my old computer running so I could retrieve all of my old files. United has lots of non-stops from the left coast to Dulles. I'll pick you up.
post #4842 of 4860 Old 01-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What would be easy peasy is for one of you comedians to fly out here and get my old computer running so I could retrieve all of my old files. United has lots of non-stops from the left coast to Dulles. I'll pick you up.
So does that mean that you don't keep your files backed up on at least a daily basis?

I always keep at least 2 sets of backup files. I used to keep one until the backup drive failed one time for me - and since my main computer proceeded to get a virus through a dumb mistake on my part, I now always keep 2.

I think google gives you about 1GB free backups on the "cloud."
ahblaza likes this.
post #4843 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 108
This new speaker sounds very interesting, especially if this unnamed "other" raal equipped speaker is the one I'm thinking of...
Can't wait to hear details!
post #4844 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
You've probably gotten some help, but in case, if you want your data, this might work:
  1. Take your hard drive(s) out of your PC.
  2. Use an enclosure and connect it to another computer, see if you can access your data.
  3. If you can't see it, your data (or at least some) is probably still there. There are programs that can get what is uncorrupted.
  4. Get a new hard drive and install the operating system.

As far as your programs, if you have your old disks, you can just reinstall them and copy your data in.

One thing also is that Windows 7 has a compatibility mode for older programs and may be able to run them using that.

Good luck!
post #4845 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
You've probably gotten some help, but in case, if you want your data, this might work:
  1. Take your hard drive(s) out of your PC.
  2. Use an enclosure and connect it to another computer, see if you can access your data.
  3. If you can't see it, your data (or at least some) is probably still there. There are programs that can get what is uncorrupted.
  4. Get a new hard drive and install the operating system.
As far as your programs, if you have your old disks, you can just reinstall them and copy your data in.

One thing also is that Windows 7 has a compatibility mode for older programs and may be able to run them using that.

Good luck!

Thanks I'll probably just take it in to a good shop. I've poked around in Windows 7 for the compatibility mode, but can't find anything. Do you know how to activate it?
post #4846 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Thanks I'll probably just take it in to a good shop. I've poked around in Windows 7 for the compatibility mode, but can't find anything. Do you know how to activate it?
How about this Dennis:
post #4847 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 328
^^^ +1

Also, this is a video from Microsoft showing how to use their wizard.

Basically, right click on the program, get properties, go to the compatibility tab and make your changes. But using the Windows Compatibilty troubleshooter is probably best.
post #4848 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Thanks, man. Ain't the Internet great?
ahblaza likes this.
post #4849 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Dennis. I coincidentally read this thread today and saw your comment. I'm pretty sure that Mike you are referring to is my buddy. I know he ordered during that month based on my recommendations. I've sent him a text.
post #4850 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
If compatibility mode doesn't get you there, assuming you install Win7 Professional or higher, there's an actual XP mode that's a full blown Windows XP virtual machine that should work 100% for anything needing XP to run.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7
post #4851 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post
If compatibility mode doesn't get you there, assuming you install Win7 Professional or higher, there's an actual XP mode that's a full blown Windows XP virtual machine that should work 100% for anything needing XP to run.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7
Can you still buy Win 7 XP machines?
post #4852 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Can you still buy Win 7 XP machines?

not understanding the question... 7 and XP are different operating systems.

7 has a feature (in the higher end versions- Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate) that gives you a built in virtual machine of Windows XP for free (basically the system is genuinely running XP in a sandbox inside 7).

and yes, you can certainly still buy systems with Win7 preinstalled (or buy copies to install yourself)... and barring touchscreen computers that's still the OS I recommend to folks.
post #4853 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
not understanding the question... 7 and XP are different operating systems.

7 has a feature (in the higher end versions- Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate) that gives you a built in virtual machine of Windows XP for free (basically the system is genuinely running XP in a sandbox inside 7).

and yes, you can certainly still buy systems with Win7 preinstalled (or buy copies to install yourself)... and barring touchscreen computers that's still the OS I recommend to folks.

Thanks for laying all this out. My machine has home premium. I take it that's not high enough?
post #4854 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for laying all this out. My machine has home premium. I take it that's not high enough?

Correct, unfortunately... Microsoft figured anybody who would really need to run legacy software under XP would be buying at least Win7 Professional.

There are a few other companies that offer free virtual machine software, but you'd have to supply your own copy of XP and install it.... the nice thing about the built-in XP mode was it includes a "free" copy of XP that was legally licensed.

If you have a legal copy of XP you can use this remains an option though, just use different VM software.

Back to the good news though.... Microsoft will sell you an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate- no need to re install the OS or anything-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...nytime-upgrade

I think it's like $90 to go to pro, $129 to go to ultimate... both get you the ability to install XP mode
post #4855 of 4860 Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Correct, unfortunately... Microsoft figured anybody who would really need to run legacy software under XP would be buying at least Win7 Professional.

There are a few other companies that offer free virtual machine software, but you'd have to supply your own copy of XP and install it.... the nice thing about the built-in XP mode was it includes a "free" copy of XP that was legally licensed.

If you have a legal copy of XP you can use this remains an option though, just use different VM software.

Back to the good news though.... Microsoft will sell you an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate- no need to re install the OS or anything-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...nytime-upgrade

I think it's like $90 to go to pro, $129 to go to ultimate... both get you the ability to install XP mode
Well alrighty then. I'll try the compatibility mode first, and if it's a no go I'll spring for the upgrade. Probably cheaper than getting the old Clunker fixed. Thanks again.
post #4856 of 4860 Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Okay....I think we've waited long enough for the reveal of Mystery Speakerharmonic 1. Spill the beans, boys.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #4857 of 4860 Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM

Wink

What's the big deal with a new speaker from Philharmonic Audio.I guarantee my speakers cost less and sound just as good as these!
post #4858 of 4860 Old 01-16-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTLURK View Post
What's the big deal with a new speaker from Philharmonic Audio.I guarantee my speakers cost less and sound just as good as these!

If you charge your time out at more than $.10 (that's ten cents), they don't cost less.
post #4859 of 4860 Old 01-16-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Okay....I think we've waited long enough for the reveal of Mystery Speakerharmonic 1. Spill the beans, boys.

It's more like spill the speakers. Fed Ex did in one of the Beta's I shipped, and it's due back here tomorrow. I'll have to try and fix the mess inside and ship it back to the guinea pig on Monday.
post #4860 of 4860 Old 01-16-2015, 09:19 AM

Smile

Hey Dennis,I was trying to be clever which I rarely am,thus the low post count.
I have your Phil 2's so I stand by my brag.Actually I have no idea what this new speaker looks
like or all the details but I still want it.I'm guessing besides the Raal it has some sort of scan speak revelator?
Reply Speakers