Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 163 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101Likes
post #4861 of 4874 Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Dennis. I'm wondering if you can take a minute and talk about the differences in the Slims towers compared to the Songtowers? They're at the same price point but seem very different in design, although they're both TL designs. The drivers and configuration and sensitivities seem very different. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4874 Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
These bad boys are on their way to me now! Thanks, Dennis (and Jim)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noname.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	503865  
charmerci likes this.
post #4863 of 4874 Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazy View Post
These bad boys are on their way to me now! Thanks, Dennis (and Jim)
Those look amazing. Wasn't crazy about the silver drivers on cherry, but they look amazing against the black with the gray zebrawood(?). Do these speakers have magnetic grills? Any pics with grills?
post #4864 of 4874 Old 01-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
Those look amazing. Wasn't crazy about the silver drivers on cherry, but they look amazing against the black with the gray zebrawood(?). Do these speakers have magnetic grills? Any pics with grills?
They're curly maple with a smokey grey/silver tint. Yes, they are supposed to be coming with the grills also. They're supposed to arrive tomorrow, but we will be in the process of getting buried in 3' of snow, so I suspect they'll arrive Wed or Thursday. I'll snap some photos when they arrive
post #4865 of 4874 Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 AM

Would love to be snowed in with those in my living room

Looking forward to seeing more pics and listening impressions. Wish there were black versions of the drivers as I'm just not a big fan of silver drivers. But, that's minor and its something I can probably overlook with the grills on, and if they sound great that's what's most important.
post #4866 of 4874 Old 01-26-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Hi Dennis. I'm wondering if you can take a minute and talk about the differences in the Slims towers compared to the Songtowers? They're at the same price point but seem very different in design, although they're both TL designs. The drivers and configuration and sensitivities seem very different. Thanks for your time.

My main intent in designing the Slims was to offer a RAAL tweeter and a 3-way design for around $2,000. A 3-way made it possible to provide an open-back midrange and use the less expensive RAAL tweeter, which needs to be crossed higher than I would feel comfortable doing in a 2-way. The corresponding Song Tower has a dome tweeter and, of course, is a 2-way. I also wanted to make sure it could dig deep into the bass range. I personally prefer the sound of a good ribbon to that of a good dome, although obviously not everyone does. So for the kind of music I listen to, I would be happier with the Slims than the dome Song Towers. On large-scale orchestral works and acoustic jazz, the open-back mid opens up the soundstage, and instruments with lots of high frequency content sound more natural to me with the ribbon tweeter. But the ST's have their own strengths. They're considerably more sensitive than the Slims and have more power handling even if they don't ultimately go as low as the Slims. And the 0W2 dome has a very focused sound that some people prefer for studio recordings.
post #4867 of 4874 Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
My main intent in designing the Slims was to offer a RAAL tweeter and a 3-way design for around $2,000. A 3-way made it possible to provide an open-back midrange and use the less expensive RAAL tweeter, which needs to be crossed higher than I would feel comfortable doing in a 2-way. The corresponding Song Tower has a dome tweeter and, of course, is a 2-way. I also wanted to make sure it could dig deep into the bass range. I personally prefer the sound of a good ribbon to that of a good dome, although obviously not everyone does. So for the kind of music I listen to, I would be happier with the Slims than the dome Song Towers. On large-scale orchestral works and acoustic jazz, the open-back mid opens up the soundstage, and instruments with lots of high frequency content sound more natural to me with the ribbon tweeter. But the ST's have their own strengths. They're considerably more sensitive than the Slims and have more power handling even if they don't ultimately go as low as the Slims. And the 0W2 dome has a very focused sound that some people prefer for studio recordings.
Thanks for the info. I noticed that the Slims upper frequency is listed at 20khz. I'm used to seeing ribbons rated at 30-40khz. From what I've read the human ear can't really hear those frequencies, but that the extended range is what gives ribbons a unique "airy" sound? Is the 20khz range of the ribbon in the Slims just a limitation of that particular model tweeter in order to meet your cost objective?

I recently sold a pair of songtowers that I loved due to a move and not wanting to put them in storage. Depending on where I end up and the listening space afforded I was planning on either ordering your Philharmonitors or new Songtowers with the ribbon tweeters (mine were used with domes and I want to pick own veneer) as replacements. However, your Slims speakers are very intriguing. I tend to listen to a lot of contemporary folk rock (The Head and The Heart, Iron and Wine, Band of Horses, etc.), jazz (mostly piano-bass ensembles; listening to Christian McBride right now), and some female vocals (Melody Gardot, Diana Krall, etc.). I'm sure these speakers will make anything sound good, but do you think the Slims and/or Philharmonitors would be well suited for these genres? Thanks again for your time.
post #4868 of 4874 Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I noticed that the Slims upper frequency is listed at 20khz. I'm used to seeing ribbons rated at 30-40khz. From what I've read the human ear can't really hear those frequencies, but that the extended range is what gives ribbons a unique "airy" sound? Is the 20khz range of the ribbon in the Slims just a limitation of that particular model tweeter in order to meet your cost objective?

I recently sold a pair of songtowers that I loved due to a move and not wanting to put them in storage. Depending on where I end up and the listening space afforded I was planning on either ordering your Philharmonitors or new Songtowers with the ribbon tweeters (mine were used with domes and I want to pick own veneer) as replacements. However, your Slims speakers are very intriguing. I tend to listen to a lot of contemporary folk rock (The Head and The Heart, Iron and Wine, Band of Horses, etc.), jazz (mostly piano-bass ensembles; listening to Christian McBride right now), and some female vocals (Melody Gardot, Diana Krall, etc.). I'm sure these speakers will make anything sound good, but do you think the Slims and/or Philharmonitors would be well suited for these genres? Thanks again for your time.

I only like to quote specs that I can verify. The RAAL tweet on the Slims goes as high as the ribbon on the ST or Phil 3's. But I can only measure to a little over 20 kHz, so that's all I quote. I doubt very much whether the sound of the RAAL is due directly to a super-extended high frequency limit. But the fact that it can go that high means that it may sound better on the frequencies you actually hear. Also, the ribbon resembles a line source more than it does a point source, and I think the difference in the wave launch has something to do with the characteristic sound.
post #4869 of 4874 Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'm afraid it will have to remain a semi-mystery for awhile. It is a speaker, not a retriever. But I'm so swamped with Affordable Accuracy orders right now that I won't have time to make any of these puppies for awhile. And I don't know what the first buyer will think of it. All I will say is that it's a very large 3-way full-range monitor with a special midrange, and that I plan to price it below it below a certain(much smaller) 2-way monitor that uses the same RAAL tweeter.
Any updates yet? If you could pull this off for less than the Sierra 2 I think it would be hugely popular.
post #4870 of 4874 Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Any updates yet? If you could pull this off for less than the Sierra 2 I think it would be hugely popular.

Fed Ex did in one of the Beta samples on its way to California. The shipping carton was still glowing from re-entry after it was apparently dropped from a small asteroid. The buyer tried valiantly to put the wires and capacitors back the way they were, but finally had to send it back to the East Coast. I rebuilt the innards, double boxed it in Philharmonic 3 shipping cartons, and it's bouncing its way back to CA.
Gmash likes this.
post #4871 of 4874 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dennis,
Where in CA is this new 3-way going? Just wondering if it's close enough to where I am and the owner is willing to give me a peek. Per our previous email conversation, I'm very interested in this new 3-way and trying to build fund like crazy too..
post #4872 of 4874 Unread Yesterday, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joxong View Post
Dennis,
Where in CA is this new 3-way going? Just wondering if it's close enough to where I am and the owner is willing to give me a peek. Per our previous email conversation, I'm very interested in this new 3-way and trying to build fund like crazy too..
They're going to Sunnyvale, wherever that is.
post #4873 of 4874 Unread Yesterday, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

+1 - I'd certainly order a pair.
post #4874 of 4874 Unread Today, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How would these compare to the Phil 2's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page