Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 164 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 113Likes
post #4891 of 4908 Old 02-15-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post
I'm not sure the Minx would be a fair example of what the BMR could do in a bookshelf. I really do like them and think they do a great job with what's asked of them, but that praise is with the knowledge that I know they are lifestyles which come with limitations vs bookshelves/towers. They don't compare with my bookshelves, but I wasn't expecting them too.

However, I have zero room for my larger speakers where I'm currently at so small sats are all I can use at the moment. What I love about these speakers is that it gives you a very cohesive sound up and down the FR, I haven't heard any lifestyle that can match it. Given that you can't do a good quality crossover in that little space, usually that octave to octave and a half above and below the crossover point gets mucked up. This happens in one of the worst spots you can have which is in the ~1k to 4k range. The BMR solves this problem. However it has other problems of it's own, most notably the dips and spikes above 7k (which is indicative of the BMR used), but it seems to have some odd off-axis response too (which could be part of the limitation of the enclosure) though that's more in the higher FR that a dedicated tweeter would handle. Plus is has the problems not that having a larger cabinet to work with brings.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to listen to the Aero series to get a feel for what they could do in a bookshelf or tower.

I'm intrigued by the pairing of the RAAL with a BMR and what benefits Dennis sees in this. The tech behind the BMR suggests that despite it's problems in the higher frequencies, it should give you better off-axis response than a conventional driver in the mid to lower high frequency range. I guess it gives you the option to use a higher crossover point too, though I'm not sure what that would get you.
I really can't add anything to that post. I agree with it entirely. The BMR makes a great midrange (smooth response, nearly perfect dispersion up to 5 kHz), but as a tweeter--not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 4908 Old 02-15-2015, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dennis - I think you skipped over my post. What do think about me swapping out the Philharmonitor I'm using as a center for a single Phil Slim to be the center with my Phil 2 HT setup? Is it similarly voiced to the Phil 2. We moved recently and I'm setting up a dedicated HT in the basement and have room for a standing center channel speaker. I'll likely use the Philharmonitor that I'm currently using as a center in a separate two channel setup if you still have one of the older Philharmonitor boxes. Thanks.
post #4893 of 4908 Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post
Dennis - I think you skipped over my post. What do think about me swapping out the Philharmonitor I'm using as a center for a single Phil Slim to be the center with my Phil 2 HT setup? Is it similarly voiced to the Phil 2. We moved recently and I'm setting up a dedicated HT in the basement and have room for a standing center channel speaker. I'll likely use the Philharmonitor that I'm currently using as a center in a separate two channel setup if you still have one of the older Philharmonitor boxes. Thanks.
I guess you did get a little lost. I'm sure a single Slims would work, but it was designed for superior sound staging due to its open-back midrange. I'm not sure the open-back works all that well as a single center channel, where you really want a crisp up-front presentation for optimal clarity in dialog. I have a wwmt center channel that uses the same drivers in the Slims, but with a conventional closed back.
post #4894 of 4908 Old 02-17-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxong View Post
It's been quite for a while... Any more update on that new 3-way speakers? Is the beta tester a member of this forum? Are we going to get a mini-review?
On Monday, I heard the single prototype of this speaker. It sounded great even though I couldn't hear it in stereo. The BMR driver does very well as a mid range. It cannot produce the higher frequencies that only a proper tweeter can do, and that was why the Cambridge Audio Aero 2 failed to sound good. But in Dennis's design, I heard none of those problems.

The rear-ported cabinet is somewhat tall, about 20 or 22" high.

I saw how the unusual outline shape of the BMR mid range requires some effort with a router and a template to produce a cutout that allows flush mounting. Dennis said there has been some delay in getting that properly set up. Until he is certain that is taken care of, he is reluctant to announce them as "available". But the design of the speaker is done, and I liked it .
post #4895 of 4908 Old 02-17-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post
Hmm...RAAL tweeter, BMR mid...Intrigued!
Yes, color me interested in this speaker. I have always loved the sound of a good ribbon tweeter and in the past couple years, developed a keen interest in the BMR drivers. Last, I have always wanted to own one of Dennis Murphy's babies! Measurements suggest that the BMR it isn't very good as a stand-alone tweeter, but I have often wondered what kind of midrange it would make. Dennis, any idea what price range these might fit into? and when they might be ready for public consumption?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #4896 of 4908 Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Yes, color me interested in this speaker. I have always loved the sound of a good ribbon tweeter and in the past couple years, developed a keen interest in the BMR drivers. Last, I have always wanted to own one of Dennis Murphy's babies! Measurements suggest that the BMR it isn't very good as a stand-alone tweeter, but I have often wondered what kind of midrange it would make. Dennis, any idea what price range these might fit into? and when they might be ready for public consumption?
These are kind of tricky times for me. I lost my local cabinet maker (he's moving to Hawaii--something about the polar vortex--I didn't quite get it.) So right now I'm completely dependent on Jim Salk for custom cabinets and my own assembly skills(?) using Parts Express cabinets. My best guess is that the PE cabinet versions will be priced below the Ascend Sierra 2, and custom versions with Salk cabinets will come in at about the same price as the Ascends. I hope to have two of the PE versions available in a couple of weeks.
mingus, Mudslide and ahblaza like this.
post #4897 of 4908 Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Last, I have always wanted to own one of Dennis Murphy's babies!
Well, you should try the Philharmonitors then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
These are kind of tricky times for me. I lost my local cabinet maker (he's moving to Hawaii--something about the polar vortex--I didn't quite get it.)
Well, that's a bummer all around - and you can't even work with him elsewhere because shipping from HI is stupid expensive.

The polar (winter) vortex is what's causing the super-cold winters and all that snow.
post #4898 of 4908 Old 02-18-2015, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Well, you should try the Philharmonitors then!

Well, that's a bummer all around - and you can't even work with him elsewhere because shipping from HI is stupid expensive.

The polar (winter) vortex is what's causing the super-cold winters and all that snow.
Speaking of Philharmonitors, if someone is wanting to audition them in the Monterey Bay area (CA), PM me. Even with my modest setup and severe room limitations, they sound great.
Gmash likes this.
post #4899 of 4908 Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Dennis,

With Del parting for distance parts. will the prices of the Slims and 3 go up? When is he going to stop making the cabinets?
post #4900 of 4908 Old 02-20-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Dennis,

With Del parting for distance parts. will the prices of the Slims and 3 go up? When is he going to stop making the cabinets?
Del is finishing up a pair of Slims, and that will be it before he packs up his surfer trunks and sun blocker. I'm not raising prices, but Jim Salk's Slims have always cost a little more than Del's--$2200 instead of $2000. But Jim provides front grills and a plinth, which Del charged extra for, so it's not a big deal.
ahblaza likes this.
post #4901 of 4908 Old 02-22-2015, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please wish Del good luck from me! My cherry Phil3 cabinets will cherish his memory, and are prepared to resonate those waves.

Question: do those Philharmonitors bear listening at close distance? I'm thinking of going quad, adding an amp and 2 speakers to the back of my listening chair, but there's not so much room there (about 1 meter from back of chair to wall).
post #4902 of 4908 Old 02-22-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezebees View Post
Please wish Del good luck from me! My cherry Phil3 cabinets will cherish his memory, and are prepared to resonate those waves.

Question: do those Philharmonitors bear listening at close distance? I'm thinking of going quad, adding an amp and 2 speakers to the back of my listening chair, but there's not so much room there (about 1 meter from back of chair to wall).
I think they would work at one meter, but the larger issue is that the Philharmonitors won't be available for some time. They were being inventoried and shipped out of my business partner's father's business in Taiwan. Ken's father passed away suddenly and the business has been shut down, leaving logistics up in the air for the monitors. I'm not sure when we'll be able to ship them again.
post #4903 of 4908 Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Dennis, sorry to hear that. Hope it will work out OK for you.
post #4904 of 4908 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Liked: 21
Thumbs up

Since Dennis mentioned my parting, I thought I'd just take a few minutes to thank everybody here for whom I've done cabinets. I never claimed to be the fastest guy given my circumstances, but I've always done my best to put out a good quality cabinet. I truly appreciate all the patience that has been extended to me. It's been a pleasure to work with Dennis and everyone here. I shall miss doing this, but who knows? Maybe I'll return to it later
ahblaza, beaveav and charmerci like this.
post #4905 of 4908 Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delwon View Post
Since Dennis mentioned my parting, I thought I'd just take a few minutes to thank everybody here for whom I've done cabinets. I never claimed to be the fastest guy given my circumstances, but I've always done my best to put out a good quality cabinet. I truly appreciate all the patience that has been extended to me. It's been a pleasure to work with Dennis and everyone here. I shall miss doing this, but who knows? Maybe I'll return to it later
And a big THANK YOU to Del for basically making Philharmonic Audio possible. I never would have started this operation without the Philharmonic 3, and I could never have offered the 3 at a reasonable price without Del's cabinets and all of the prototype versions he built while I was developing the design. It did mean quite a few harrowing trips down I-95 and across I-66, but some things are worth it. Best of luck on the big Island!
charmerci likes this.
post #4906 of 4908 Unread Today, 04:00 PM

Philharmonitor Audition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyedBlue View Post
Speaking of Philharmonitors, if someone is wanting to audition them in the Monterey Bay area (CA), PM me. Even with my modest setup and severe room limitations, they sound great.
Hey Mingus- I see that you PM'd me, but since I'm so challenged when it comes to social media, I didn't realize I needed to be logged in to receive a PM. Just saw yours today. If you're still interested in an audition, PM me your email address and I'll get back to you. Sorry for the delayed response.
post #4907 of 4908 Unread Today, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delwon View Post
Good luck to you!

Hawaii huh.......take me with you!!!
post #4908 of 4908 Unread Today, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezebees View Post

Hey keze. I'd like to add my two cents regarding close distance listening. I have a small room and I intially couldn't get farther than 9'feet from my Philharmonitors. But I noticed that if I could position myself 10 feet or farther, the soundstage opened up and realism increased. Not that these traits were lacking at 9 feet, but in my opinion I think these speakers probably excel in medium to large rooms. I only use a two channel system, so maybe my comment doesn't apply. - DyedBlue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page