Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 165 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 115Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #4921 of 4944 Unread 03-17-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxong View Post
Hei Dennis,
Just curious if you're able to get the PE version out already. I know you've been swamped w/ the challenges you ran into recently, but thought I ask anyway
I have two sets of front baffles routed for the irregularly shaped BMR midrange--all I need is some free time. Designing speakers is one thing--building them is another. Those Pioneer mods kind of took over my life. That, and some Slims and Phil 3 builds keep me going 24/7.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4922 of 4944 Unread 03-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Member
 
zerodeefex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose/Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I have two sets of front baffles routed for the irregularly shaped BMR midrange--all I need is some free time. Designing speakers is one thing--building them is another. Those Pioneer mods kind of took over my life. That, and some Slims and Phil 3 builds keep me going 24/7.
I've got the pair of the raal + bmr + scanspeak monitors. They sound absolutely glorious.

I'd be posting more but between traveling for work and having a small child at home, my time online is limited.

Even in a non idea setup (Schiit wyrd > ciunas USB converter > Sonic Frontiers TransDAC > Schiit Ragnatok) it sounds glorious. Early on a headphile friend with a PWD MK2 > Eddie Current Balancing Act> HD800 came over for an audition. By one AM he was begging me to turn the system off so he'd leave or he'd end up spending the night listening. This is in a terrible set up office with no treatments.
macddmac likes this.
zerodeefex is offline  
post #4923 of 4944 Unread 03-29-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Pics pls

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is offline  
post #4924 of 4944 Unread 03-29-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,134
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 353
yea, Dennis recently shipped me a pair of the RAAL/BMR/Scanspeaker speakers and since it was nice in Iowa, I haven't had much of a chance to listen to them. I will post a full review soon.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4925 of 4944 Unread 03-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Member
 
DonnyKerabatsos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I suppose I could wait until the promised review is posted, but since when was patience fun? I'm curious of the sizes of the drivers on the "prototype" 3 way speakers being tested, if anyone who has seen them can comment. With what I've read about BMR and the height of the speaker, I'm speculating the design might include a larger woofer, perhaps 8"?

If this was covered in a previous post, I missed it, and apologize.

DM needs to get some interns to help him build his designs, as there is clearly a fair mount of demand.

EDIT: Also wondering if DM will be offering a 3-way center configuration for the new model (it may well be too early for him to have decided).

Last edited by DonnyKerabatsos; 03-30-2015 at 02:34 PM.
DonnyKerabatsos is offline  
post #4926 of 4944 Unread 03-30-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
I suppose I could wait until the promised review is posted, but since when was patience fun? I'm curious of the sizes of the drivers on the "prototype" 3 way speakers being tested, if anyone who has seen them can comment. With what I've read about BMR and the height of the speaker, I'm speculating the design might include a larger woofer, perhaps 8"?

If this was covered in a previous post, I missed it, and apologize.

DM needs to get some interns to help him build his designs, as there is clearly a fair mount of demand.

EDIT: Also wondering if DM will be offering a 3-way center configuration for the new model (it may well be too early for him to have decided).
The BMR monitor uses a heavy-duty 7" Scan Speak woofer that is good to 32 Hz. Someone who bought a custom pair built by Jim Salk is using my Slims center channel, which has the same tweeter, a titanium midrange, and two 6" woofers. I think it should match very well, but we'll see what the buyer says when he hooks everything up this week.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #4927 of 4944 Unread 03-30-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,134
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quick review, as I have short stretch of time- I am just going to call them the Phil-BMR for now, until Dennis comes up with an official name! Btw, I have the PE version of these speakers, so the cabinet is very nice, but nothing extra special. Until recently, my music-only speakers was a set of low end JBLs, so the bar isn't terribly high. My EMP are in my theater, so less music and more movies there, where they are excellent and slightly forward midrange really excels.

Dennis has shared some measurements with me (Phil-BMR) and this speaker is flat +/- 2 db from 40 hz to around 40 Khz.

The Scanspeaker woofer is very good and while I haven't measured how low it can hit, I have no reason to question what Dennis says about the woofer. This speaker hits low and is very defined in its lows! for music, this speaker needs no subwoofer!

I love ribbon tweeters and the RAAL tweeter in these speakers doesn't disappoint- absolutely stunning clarity and detail! Classic music just comes alive and I find myself hearing single violins/strings and the instruments just seem more distinct. Jazz, excellent, Rock, well not as much improvement. If I were a metal head, I would thank the woofer way more than the tweeter!

The BMR, well, it kinds of disappears in between the excellent bass and very clear and detailed high end- like I say, I am use to a speaker that has a bump in the midrange, but the whole idea about the BMR is the seamless crossover with the tweeter, and it sure seems to accomplish that. As Dennis has suggested, every speaker needs to break in and especially I need to break in my ears to the more recessed midrange! Also, Cambridge Audio suggests that their BMR driver require a longer break-in period, but I think Dennis tested that with the CA Aero and didn't find any difference after a bunch of hours.

I will post a more detailed review when I have more "ear hours" on this speaker, but nothing I have heard so far makes me regret the purchase!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub

Last edited by Elihawk; 03-31-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Elihawk is online now  
post #4928 of 4944 Unread 03-31-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
augerpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So is the BMR the replacement for a no-longer-available BG planar?
augerpro is offline  
post #4929 of 4944 Unread 03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
So is the BMR the replacement for a no-longer-available BG planar?
I'm not sure about that. In any event, I bought a whole bunch of the planars when I learned BG had been taken over, and the new owner has reconsidered and will make the Neo 8 available on a license basis. Of course, it's no practical in a monitor due to its height.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #4930 of 4944 Unread 03-31-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
augerpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I wonder if partsexpress will still try to carry the BG in that case? Anyway thanks for the reply Dennis!
augerpro is offline  
post #4931 of 4944 Unread 04-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
The BMR monitor uses a heavy-duty 7" Scan Speak woofer that is good to 32 Hz. Someone who bought a custom pair built by Jim Salk is using my Slims center channel, which has the same tweeter, a titanium midrange, and two 6" woofers. I think it should match very well, but we'll see what the buyer says when he hooks everything up this week.
Hei Dennis,
But you can this speaker as a center channel if you keep it standing up right? Maybe just have to make the driver center aligned?
joxong is offline  
post #4932 of 4944 Unread 04-10-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxong View Post
Hei Dennis,
But you can this speaker as a center channel if you keep it standing up right? Maybe just have to make the driver center aligned?
The new version of the BMR will have all of the drivers centered. People don't seem to like the look of the offset drivers, and it's really not doing much to reduce diffraction effects.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #4933 of 4944 Unread 04-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Awesome... any new pics that you can post?
Are you taking orders already for these? Or still in beta phase?
joxong is offline  
post #4934 of 4944 Unread 04-10-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxong View Post
Awesome... any new pics that you can post?
Are you taking orders already for these? Or still in beta phase?
We're out of the beta phase, but I'm a couple of weeks away from announcing general availability. I have to sort out some issues with the Philharmonitors before I can move on to the BMR's. Due to a sad event I won't go into here, I can't get the previous model Philharmonitor, and I've had to arrange for a version made locally with an upgraded tweeter and a slightly different SB Acoustics woofer. I hope to announce that in a week.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #4935 of 4944 Unread 04-10-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,134
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Some of us have posted pictures of the beta versions of these speakers in various threads...good looking speakers that sound GREAT!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4936 of 4944 Unread 04-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
charmerci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
We're out of the beta phase, but I'm a couple of weeks away from announcing general availability. I have to sort out some issues with the Philharmonitors before I can move on to the BMR's. Due to a sad event I won't go into here, I can't get the previous model Philharmonitor, and I've had to arrange for a version made locally with an upgraded tweeter and a slightly different SB Acoustics woofer. I hope to announce that in a week.
Well, it all sounds good in the end!
charmerci is offline  
post #4937 of 4944 Unread 04-21-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Well, it all sounds good in the end!
Hi. Is anyone going to be at Axpona in Chicago this weekend? I'll be there all day Saturday checking out the competition in case anyone wants to meet up. I'll be in and out of the Salk room.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #4938 of 4944 Unread 04-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Wish I'm somewhere remotely close to Chicago..
joxong is offline  
post #4939 of 4944 Unread 04-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
MarsianMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Hi. Is anyone going to be at Axpona in Chicago this weekend? I'll be there all day Saturday checking out the competition in case anyone wants to meet up. I'll be in and out of the Salk room.
I was thinking about going to Axpona again this year, now I wish I had. Are you planning on going to RMAF this year? I think I read you had a 1 convention a year "policy".
MarsianMan is offline  
post #4940 of 4944 Unread 04-24-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,134
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Having had the "Phil-BMR for just over a month now, I can say for certain that the break in period is over. And while I have no difference in these from new to now, they continue to excel for music. Bass on these things is absolutely perfect- hit mid 30s hz, very tight and controlled bass. Never felt like I needed a subwoofer for rock, classical or jazz with this speaker. Just finished listening to Tommy Bolin's Post Toastee, a rock song with a lot of bass and it was clean and tight.
The RAAL Ribbon tweeter, well, just wow! I have listened to my brother's Phil Slims alot, but this tweeter is better, I think. Absolutely high end clarity and detail- I heard the Legacy Classic recently and these have every bit as good at the high end (Bass and mid, no way, but those are 5000/pr list)...so these can compete!
For me, the BMR midrange is the elephant in the room. The overall sound is excellent and nothing seems to be missing, but the midrange just dissappears, which I have come to believe is a good thing! The BMR theory as a good midrange, I am told, is to make for a more seem-less transition at the crossover between mid and tweeter, so it must do that well. Anyway, the midrange seems good, you just don't notice it much. Just say, to make sure anyone who buys this speaker because of the unique BMR-mid, well, the midrange doesn't jump out at you as the strength of this speaker! Not that it is bad by any stretch...
I find myself listening while I am on my computer, like now and that put these guys essentially in nearfield...but when I sit back on my bed, I can hear a speaker that images very well! Reminder to self, lay back and listen more...
charmerci likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4941 of 4944 Unread 04-24-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post
I was thinking about going to Axpona again this year, now I wish I had. Are you planning on going to RMAF this year? I think I read you had a 1 convention a year "policy".
Hi. I definitely will not be demonstrating at RMAF. The logistics and expense are just too great. So the only issue is whether I'll fly out to hear the competition. I'm going to Axpona in Chicago tomorrow morning, and just about every speaker I want to hear will be there. So, unless some electronics outfit wants to use a pair of Phil 3's at RMAF, I'll probably stay home and walk the dog.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #4942 of 4944 Unread 04-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
klh007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Hi. I definitely will not be demonstrating at RMAF. The logistics and expense are just too great. So the only issue is whether I'll fly out to hear the competition. I'm going to Axpona in Chicago tomorrow morning, and just about every speaker I want to hear will be there. So, unless some electronics outfit wants to use a pair of Phil 3's at RMAF, I'll probably stay home and walk the dog.
Dennis, What speakers are you specifically wanting to audition?

Kemper Holt
klh007 is offline  
post #4943 of 4944 Unread 04-24-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
Dennis, What speakers are you specifically wanting to audition?
Too many to list, and probably too many to visit in one day. I'll start out at some rag-tag outfit called Salk Sound, and move on quickly to B&W (do they have anything decent below the 800 series?), Focal, Harbeth, Janszen, JBL, KEF, Magico, Martin Logan, PSB, Revel, Golden Ear, Soundfield, Wilson. And Maybe Madisound will have a Linkwitz setup.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #4944 of 4944 Unread 04-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
 
ien2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oahu
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
...
For me, the BMR midrange is the elephant in the room. The overall sound is excellent and nothing seems to be missing, but the midrange just dissappears, which I have come to believe is a good thing! The BMR theory as a good midrange, I am told, is to make for a more seem-less transition at the crossover between mid and tweeter, so it must do that well. Anyway, the midrange seems good, you just don't notice it much. Just say, to make sure anyone who buys this speaker because of the unique BMR-mid, well, the midrange doesn't jump out at you as the strength of this speaker! Not that it is bad by any stretch...
...
I'd still like to know why you come to this conclusion given that most music happens under 2kHz for fundamentals. In particular, average instrumentation for jazz puts most music under 1kHz and most rock is well in the 50-800Hz range.
ien2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off