Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 167 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 137Likes
post #4981 of 5004 Unread 06-13-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I'm listening to this speaker as we speaker- well, a beta version that Dennis sold me a couple months ago! I bring this up because I just came from the home of a freind who had some custom Legacy system installed, he has some towers that listed for $5,000/pr (classic Audio HD)and we were listening to dark side of the moon...the Philharmonitors, for music are as good or better than these in any respect I can describe...for music, the Phil can hit as low, plays high with equal clarity, and the midrange dispersion is great for music. Really, the Legacy speakers are capable of much greater volume, but that might have been the only place where there were as good or better than the Phil-BMR!

Not for HT, the Legacy set up my friend has is really good and very dynamic. I am getting the impression that the BMR- midrange dispersion characteristics are best suited to music. Not saying they aren't good for HT, but a more directional midrange driver is better when you want a particular sound to be localized.
charmerci likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5004 Unread 06-13-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I'm listening to this speaker as we speaker- well, a beta version that Dennis sold me a couple months ago! I bring this up because I just came from the home of a freind who had some custom Legacy system installed, he has some towers that listed for $5,000/pr (classic Audio HD)and we were listening to dark side of the moon...the Philharmonitors, for music are as good or better than these in any respect I can describe...for music, the Phil can hit as low, plays high with equal clarity, and the midrange dispersion is great for music. Really, the Legacy speakers are capable of much greater volume, but that might have been the only place where there were as good or better than the Phil-BMR!

Not for HT, the Legacy set up my friend has is really good and very dynamic. I am getting the impression that the BMR- midrange dispersion characteristics are best suited to music. Not saying they aren't good for HT, but a more directional midrange driver is better when you want a particular sound to be localized.
That's possible. I've never tried the BMR's in home theater. They're really not meant for that. You always have to make trade-offs, and what I was aiming for was a stereo pair optimized for music with a capable amplifier and without a subwoofer. Otherwise, there would be no reason to trade off sensitivity for bass extension. On the other hand, I can't think of any particular reason why the BMR's would fail to localize sound unless they were placed very close to a side wall, where reflections from the broad radiation pattern might confuse the image.
post #4983 of 5004 Unread 06-13-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Thanks. I guess this means you have someone helping. The last time I ordered those Philharmonitors years ago, we were talking months.
I do have full-time help now. But I don't recall the original Philharmonitor orders taking that long. Del Won was cutting the baffles. But I don't remember a lot of stuff.
post #4984 of 5004 Unread 06-13-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
That's possible. I've never tried the BMR's in home theater. They're really not meant for that. You always have to make trade-offs, and what I was aiming for was a stereo pair optimized for music with a capable amplifier and without a subwoofer. Otherwise, there would be no reason to trade off sensitivity for bass extension. On the other hand, I can't think of any particular reason why the BMR's would fail to localize sound unless they were placed very close to a side wall, where reflections from the broad radiation pattern might confuse the image.
Dennis, I don't know, but just made this observation...the Phil BMR, way better than my EMPtek speakers in a music only setting, but not way better in my HT setting...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #4985 of 5004 Unread 06-14-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Dennis,

Do you plan to show the new Phil BMR at CAF this year?
post #4986 of 5004 Unread 06-14-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Dennis,

Do you plan to show the new Phil BMR at CAF this year?
I might still cave and do the show--in which case the BMR will be there. But I wasn't very happy with last year's show. Only one reviewer was willing to come into the ID rooms, and he never got a show review published.
post #4987 of 5004 Unread 06-14-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Personally, I hope you will be there (I missed the past couple years).
post #4988 of 5004 Unread 06-15-2015, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I do have full-time help now. But I don't recall the original Philharmonitor orders taking that long. Del Won was cutting the baffles. But I don't remember a lot of stuff.
fwiw, your memory isn't half bad, haha! i purchased the last pair of the dayton audio .75 cu. ft. curved back philharmonitors you made back in 2012. deposit was made on 8/29 and speakers were delivered across the country to my door on 10/5, and that timeframe included a little hiccup b/c one of the fountek tweeters you received was defective.

still enjoying my speakers to this day, and i'm always surfing this thread with an itch to buy more "stuff," haha!
post #4989 of 5004 Unread 06-15-2015, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I might still cave and do the show--in which case the BMR will be there. But I wasn't very happy with last year's show. Only one reviewer was willing to come into the ID rooms, and he never got a show review published.
Well, as I will be at RMAF, I vote you show there! :-)

Yamaha RX-A820 | Panasonic TC-P54S2 | Def Tech BP8B Fronts, Aerial CC3 center | Def Tech BP2X sides | NHT SuperZero Heights
Streamer: Zotac ZBox ID41 (OpenELEC) | Linux media server (XBMC DB and Plex MS)
Computer area: MartinLogan Motion LX16's | NAD D3020 | DefTech ProSub 60, DAC•IT->Crack (being built)
cans: DT770/80 & 250, Shure SHR1540, DT-990/250, SR225e, IE80, VSonic AN16
post #4990 of 5004 Unread 06-15-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
fwiw, your memory isn't half bad, haha! i purchased the last pair of the dayton audio .75 cu. ft. curved back philharmonitors you made back in 2012. deposit was made on 8/29 and speakers were delivered across the country to my door on 10/5, and that timeframe included a little hiccup b/c one of the fountek tweeters you received was defective.

still enjoying my speakers to this day, and i'm always surfing this thread with an itch to buy more "stuff," haha!
Well, if you surfed today, you saw the page on the new BMR monitor. It's bigger and better than any girly-boy .75 cu ft Philharmonitor.
post #4991 of 5004 Unread 06-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post

Well, if you surfed today, you saw the page on the new BMR monitor. It's bigger and better than any girly-boy .75 cu ft Philharmonitor.
Dennis, are there any plans to make a matching center should we use these for home theater?
post #4992 of 5004 Unread 06-15-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldark View Post
Dennis, are there any plans to make a matching center should we use these for home theater?
I haven't really thought about that. I had a dedicated music system in mind when I designed the BMR's. The idea was to provide full-range reproduction at the lowest possible cost and least complexity. Also, a pair should do very well as a phantom center given their wide sweet spot. It would be simple enough to design a WMTW center using the BMR midrange. But for the moment, my Slims WMTW would probably work as well. I'm not sure the BMR driver has any great advantage in a center channel application.
post #4993 of 5004 Unread 06-16-2015, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Wink

Quote:
Dennis: Now you've done it. My Philharmonitors have an inferiority complex with that "girly-boy" swipe. But, I just checked your website and all I can say is "WOW". Them are beautiful! And if they sound as good as advertised, (and I have no reason to think otherwise), you have an absolute winner. I should've stayed away from the website, cuz now I've got the upgrade bug again and I've only had my Phils for a year. Rats!!! -Dyedblue
post #4994 of 5004 Unread 06-16-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to make sure this isn't a turn-off for anyone, despite the 85 db sensitivity, the BMR Phil plays clean and loud from my not so highly powered budget Onkyo reciever. Becuase the Onkyo is only 50 watts/channel, I don't push it...but they have been louder than I can comfortably listen to and play very clean. Crystal clear highs and tight, accurate bass!
kezebees and charmerci like this.

post #4995 of 5004 Unread 06-19-2015, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Placed my order for a pair of BMRs. Looking forward to them!
post #4996 of 5004 Unread Yesterday, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post
Placed my order for a pair of BMRs. Looking forward to them!
Please post impressions once you receive them. I know Dennis stated that they are designed more for music, but if possible I am curious about how they sound for music and HT/movies. If I go in this direction I would be giving them heavy use on both fronts.

One thing for sure, they are going to sound a hell of a lot better than Vapor's

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #4997 of 5004 Unread Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Please post impressions once you receive them. I know Dennis stated that they are designed more for music, but if possible I am curious about how they sound for music and HT/movies. If I go in this direction I would be giving them heavy use on both fronts.

Well sound-wise that is really a speculation without hearing them both but I think you can safely say that at least if you purchase from Dennis you will receive what you paid for.
post #4998 of 5004 Unread Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
... both but I think you can safely say that at least if you purchase from Dennis you will receive what you paid for.
True dat!

Even the $99 NHT Super Zeros sound a lot better than ANY speaker you pay for and then never actually receive.

I was going to use the Bose cubes as my example instead of the Super Zeros, but then I realized they cost way more even though the NHTs are actually halfway decent speakers despite their paltry price.

But let's please not bring that Vapor drama into this thread going forward.
post #4999 of 5004 Unread Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I fully subscribe to the theory that if a speaker sounds good for music it will sound good for movies too, even though I don't think the opposite is necessarily always true.

The BMRs might not have the SPL and dynamics, even when high passed at say 80hz or so, than speakers with CDs, but I'm sure that they will still be more than loud enough for most people in a HT environment.

I do think a pair would be overkill for surrounds though. Is there a good CC option for those of us where a third BMR wouldn't work as the CC? A surrounds option too for that matter?
post #5000 of 5004 Unread Yesterday, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I fully subscribe to the theory that if a speaker sounds good for music it will sound good for movies too, even though I don't think the opposite is necessarily always true.

The BMRs might not have the SPL and dynamics, even when high passed at say 80hz or so, than speakers with CDs, but I'm sure that they will still be more than loud enough for most people in a HT environment.

I do think a pair would be overkill for surrounds though. Is there a good CC option for those of us where a third BMR wouldn't work as the CC? A surrounds option too for that matter?
I have a couple of CC designs that would match the BMR's sonically. One is a MTM using a Fountek tweeter and the woofers in the Salk Song Tower. The other is an WMTW with the same drivers in the Slims (and the same tweeter in the BMR). I also did a custom WMTW for the divorce attorneys out there--Two Scan Speak Revelator 5" woofers, an Accuton mid, and the OEM RAAL tweet that Jim Salk uses a lot. That belongs in the "If you have to ask what the price is, you probably....." The others are more reasonable. I don't think I can give prices on the AVS forum.

Last edited by Dennis Murphy; Yesterday at 12:16 PM.
post #5001 of 5004 Unread Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I have a couple of CC designs that would match the BMR's sonically. One is a MTM using a Fountek tweeter and the woofers in the Salk Song Tower. The other is an WMTW with the same drivers in the Slims (and the same tweeter in the BMR). I also did a custom WMTW for the divorce attorneys out there--Two Scan Speak Revelator 5" woofers, an Accuton mid, and the OEM RAAL tweet that Jim Salk uses a lot. That belongs in the "If you have to ask what the price is, you probably....." The others are more reasonable. I don't think I can give prices on teh AVS forum.
Are there any available in maple, cherry, or piano black Dennis? And i take it the one with the Slims drivers is the best sonic match?
post #5002 of 5004 Unread Yesterday, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are there any available in maple, cherry, or piano black Dennis? And i take it the one with the Slims drivers is the best sonic match?
The smallest prefab MTM cabint is .75 cu ft, which I think would be too large. And there aren't any big enough for the WWMT. So Jim would have to make them (in whatever veneer or finish you would like, other than true mirror black. He could do a gloss, but it wouldn't be a true mirror finish. The Slims version would probably be the best match, but the MTM would probably be perfectly satisfactory.
post #5003 of 5004 Unread Today, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The smallest prefab MTM cabint is .75 cu ft, which I think would be too large. And there aren't any big enough for the WWMT. So Jim would have to make them (in whatever veneer or finish you would like, other than true mirror black. He could do a gloss, but it wouldn't be a true mirror finish. The Slims version would probably be the best match, but the MTM would probably be perfectly satisfactory.
Thanks Dennis.

Actually, I wasn't planning on a surround/HT application for these, at least not anytime soon anyway, but it's nice to know the option does exist.

For now anyway, I got these for just what you said they were designed for - 2 channel music without a subwoofer, which was exactly what I was looking for in a stand mount/bookshelf.

There may be some that I either don't know about or am not thinking about right now, but I haven't seen another bookshelf model with the bass extension these are rated for. Atlantic Tech even has a transmission line bookshelf, the AT2s, that's not rated as low as these are. The BMRs are even rated with a little deeper extension than your Slims towers. I seriously considered the Slims instead, but ultimately decided on the BMRs.
post #5004 of 5004 Unread Today, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Dennis.

Actually, I wasn't planning on a surround/HT application for these, at least not anytime soon anyway, but it's nice to know the option does exist.

For now anyway, I got these for just what you said they were designed for - 2 channel music without a subwoofer, which was exactly what I was looking for in a stand mount/bookshelf.

There may be some that I either don't know about or am not thinking about right now, but I haven't seen another bookshelf model with the bass extension these are rated for. Atlantic Tech even has a transmission line bookshelf, the AT2s, that's not rated as low as these are. The BMRs are even rated with a little deeper extension than your Slims towers. I seriously considered the Slims instead, but ultimately decided on the BMRs.
The Scan 8545 woofer has long been known for its bass extension. When you see the cone, you'll know it's a heavy-duty machine. I'm not claiming it's flat to 30 Hz. But in a room, you will hear clean output if you play a 30 Hz tone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers