Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 362Likes

Old 11-28-2015, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
fascinating that people used to have these nice tube amps and speakers with nicely finished wood design in their living rooms and now people just have generic looking tvs with penny sized speakers inside :P
Squirrel! likes this.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Emerald Physics ep100.2se amplifier, Vi Dac Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Ugh, missed Fedex to sign for the BMR's by 15 minutes. Never seen Fedex come first thing in the morning in my whole life. I'm pretty upset about it, I wasn't certain they were coming but I was basing my whole day around these things coming. It's really difficult for me to stand by my door all day and wait for a package - I'm usually busy and have other things. I called Fedex earlier this week and they said there were no packages coming to my address so it was hard to justify clearing my whole schedule today just on the off-chance they came. They don't let you pre-sign a slip or anything. I can't fit the packages in my car so I can't have it held for pickup. Going to be a really painful wait until Tuesday. Especially considering since Fedex will be doing extra man-handling to my package in the mean time.

Edit: Found a friend with a larger vehicle so I can schedule to pick it up on Tuesday (wish they could do Monday). Guess I'm just really disappointed that Fedex lied to me when I called them. If they actually gave me my tracking #, I would've known for sure it was going to be delivered and I wouldn't have taken any chances.

Last edited by t1337Dude; 11-28-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
Ugh, missed Fedex to sign for the BMR's by 15 minutes. Never seen Fedex come first thing in the morning in my whole life. I'm pretty upset about it, I wasn't certain they were coming but I was basing my whole day around these things coming. It's really difficult for me to stand by my door all day and wait for a package - I'm usually busy and have other things. I called Fedex earlier this week and they said there were no packages coming to my address so it was hard to justify clearing my whole schedule today just on the off-chance they came. They don't let you pre-sign a slip or anything. I can't fit the packages in my car so I can't have it held for pickup. Going to be a really painful wait until Tuesday. Especially considering since Fedex will be doing extra man-handling to my package in the mean time.

Edit: Found a friend with a larger vehicle so I can schedule to pick it up on Tuesday (wish they could do Monday). Guess I'm just really disappointed that Fedex lied to me when I called them. If they actually gave me my tracking #, I would've known for sure it was going to be delivered and I wouldn't have taken any chances.
If you feel comfortable with it - I've left signed notes on my door telling delivery people just to leave the package.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
If you feel comfortable with it - I've left signed notes on my door telling delivery people just to leave the package.
If a direct signature is required, they probably won't do that. The driver is responsible for recording the signature and probably doesn't want to risk liability if anything goes wrong. This wouldn't have happened if Jim Salk had been on site when the packages were shipped. He would have made sure you got tracking info. He was in Minnesota with family for Thanksgiving and his crew must have released the boxes without e-mailing you tracking. It's still a little strange, since I always get an automated tracking e-mail whenever he sends me anything. Why wouldn't they let you pick them up on Monday. I know home deliveries don't start until Tuesday, but why should they care when you pick them up personally?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
If a direct signature is required, they probably won't do that. The driver is responsible for recording the signature and probably doesn't want to risk liability if anything goes wrong. This wouldn't have happened if Jim Salk had been on site when the packages were shipped. He would have made sure you got tracking info. He was in Minnesota with family for Thanksgiving and his crew must have released the boxes without e-mailing you tracking. It's still a little strange, since I always get an automated tracking e-mail whenever he sends me anything. Why wouldn't they let you pick them up on Monday. I know home deliveries don't start until Tuesday, but why should they care when you pick them up personally?
It's not a huge deal, it's just a little frustrating that the Fedex customer service misled me a bit and I ended up barely missing the package. Really, I'm just happy it's on the way and close. Unfortunately, I believe Fedex Home Delivery is a separate branch of Fedex that doesn't operate the same days the other Fedex services (such as Monday). It's a bit lame that they don't make it easier for customers to pick up their packages but not much any of us can do about that
Old 11-30-2015, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here we go bmr and sierra 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20151129_224043_1448948557819.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1090442  
Old 12-01-2015, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
So...care to share any comparisons? (Spill the beans! lol)

I picked up my BMR's today. Despite what Fedex's site says, I guess Fedex Home Delivery does operate on Mondays. Custom veneered with front port, so I've been been doing a bit of waiting. These things are monolithic. For being bookshelf speakers, they're big enough to be the bookshelves. Haven't had a chance to do a ton of listening yet, but from what I've sampled so far, it certainly lives up to my expectations. It's nice to be able to pick out the bass guitars and subtle details in the instrumentation with ease - something that I was certainly missing with the cheaper speakers I've been using since the Philharmonitors. The highs are extremely smooth, airy, and detailed - just what I was hoping for. I'll go more into the sound after I listen some more.

Can't forget about the finish either. I'll have some pictures up later. Salk's finish is marvelous. The finish is everything I was hoping for and more. The front port is discrete and perfectly placed. It's shiny, curly, and has a top shelf look to it. By far these are the nicest looking and sounding speakers I've owned. I'll be surprised and very lucky if I end up with better speakers at any point of my life - expensive speakers are a rare purchase for me.

And I'd really like to thank Dennis for the freebies. He made amends for a problem I had with a previous speakers I bought and I'm more than satisfied. Very happy with everything.

Last edited by t1337Dude; 12-01-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Oh man, I am I thinking of upgrading/switching from Philharmonitor (old) to Philharmonitor (new)/BMR or Sierra-2. I am super interested in your comparison.

Which one has greater clarity at lower volumes?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
yes, color me interested in your thoughts here!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Old 12-01-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
I never realized how big those BMRs are!

Also looking forward to this comparison, I guess you could call this a... Battle RAALyale

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Old 12-01-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the BMR's one disadvantage, at least for some, is that it is not a small speaker. I think Dennis tried a smaller cabinet, but it was too crowded and almost impossbile to work the crossovers...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Old 12-01-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tick....tick....tick....now the wait. Over a week still....

Old 12-01-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Yes, the BMR's one disadvantage, at least for some, is that it is not a small speaker. I think Dennis tried a smaller cabinet, but it was too crowded and almost impossbile to work the crossovers...
They're only about 3 times as large as the Sierra 2's. The cabinet that proved too crowded was the same size, but it had curved sides that made Xover placement a nightmare. But I'm using that type of cabinet on the new Philharmonitor. The simpler 2-way Xover just fits. The tweeters and baffles for those speakers just arrived, so I'll be doing a final description on my website and starting shipments shortly. I'll be shipping the prototypes to Charmerci in a few days. We'll see how he likes them if they ever make it all the way to Oregon.
ccbad likes this.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
They're only about 3 times as large as the Sierra 2's. The cabinet that proved too crowded was the same size, but it had curved sides that made Xover placement a nightmare. But I'm using that type of cabinet on the new Philharmonitor. The simpler 2-way Xover just fits. The tweeters and baffles for those speakers just arrived, so I'll be doing a final description on my website and starting shipments shortly. I'll be shipping the prototypes to Charmerci in a few days. We'll see how he likes them if they ever make it all the way to Oregon.
Oregon? Oregon?! I'll be waiting!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Simonsky! Any updates on the "Battle RAALyale???"
Old 12-07-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry guys i am very busy and didnt listen to them enough to have a fair comparison. Well, here are my impressions. On both speakers the highs are very similar, my ears cant tell the difference. The sierra midrange sounds cleaner and up front while the bmr has a wider sound. Both has their own charateristic but i like the mid of the sierra. The lows of the sierra has punch but does not dig low as the bmr. The bmr has a fuller sound (tower). If the mid of the bmr has more presence it would be a great speaker. Thats it for now will update when i have more time.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry guys i am very busy and didnt listen to them enough to have a fair comparison. Well, here are my impressions. On both speakers the highs are very similar, my ears cant tell the difference. The sierra midrange sounds cleaner and up front while the bmr has a wider sound. Both has their own charateristic but i like the mid of the sierra. The lows of the sierra has punch but does not dig low as the bmr. The bmr has a fuller sound (tower). If the mid of the bmr has more presence it would be a great speaker. Thats it for now will update when i have more time.
From the pic you linked, it looks like you have the curved Parts Express cabinet, which I haven't shipped in some time. I'm having trouble placing you. The timing is kind of important, because I did make a couple of running changes in response to feedback about the midrange. That said, the BMR will never sound quite like a two way, including my Philharmonitor (which is very similar to the Sierra 2). The BMR driver has much greater dispersion than a woofer operating at the top of its range, and less energy gets beamed forward. The result is a wider (and I think deeper) sound stage, but with a bit less immediacy in the mids.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The BMR is not going to be a forward sounding midrange driver, as Dennis points out and as Dennis pointed out to me 6 months ago. That does not mean it isn't a good midrange driver. Remember, the two big advantages of the BMR as a mid, is 1. Better horizontal dispersion and 2. Can be crossed over at a higher freq that traditional midrange driver, allowing the cross over point to be above the freq range that our ears hear best!

Old 12-08-2015, 07:05 PM

I just eliminated one more weak link in my audio chain in preparation for my raal philharmonitors
Replaced loose fitting brass compression type banana plugs with soldered beryllium copper 45% iacs banana plugs that fit super tight in the binding posts for great contact. Bass seems stronger but it might be because I moved the speakers a little when plugging them back in

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Emerald Physics ep100.2se amplifier, Vi Dac Infinity
Old 12-08-2015, 07:07 PM

I just eliminated one more weak link in my audio chain in preparation for my raal philharmonitors
Replaced loose fitting brass compression type banana plugs with soldered beryllium copper 45% iacs banana plugs that fit super tight in the binding posts for great contact. Bass seems stronger but it might be because I moved the speakers a little when plugging them back in

Old 12-08-2015, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You are setting up a get together for everyone on island so they can listen to them too, right?
Old 12-09-2015, 04:51 AM

I added myself to the "will demo speakers" thread for my kef q900 and never got a single contact in all these years. oh well! I'm ok with being on audio gilligans island

Old 12-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
I added myself to the "will demo speakers" thread for my kef q900 and never got a single contact in all these years. oh well! I'm ok with being on audio gilligans island

If I had known you were demoing I could have stopped by beginning of Sept.! Got married at Waialae Beach on the 5th and hopped islands on the Pride of America cruise ship. When we landed at Honolulu airport on the 3rd we experienced a small typhoon. Our luggage got drenched. When we tried to take the boat to the U.S.S. Arizona memorial on the 4th the Navy had cancelled all tours due to lightning. A bit disappointing since who knows when we will ever get back there. 8-9 hours in economy-plus is a bear!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
Odd I missed that, I did take a look at the list and don't remember seeing anybody. Hehe, oh well.

Edit: Ah, it was never updated on the main post, it still shows Hawaii blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post
If I had known you were demoing I could have stopped by beginning of Sept.! Got married at Waialae Beach on the 5th and hopped islands on the Pride of America cruise ship. When we landed at Honolulu airport on the 3rd we experienced a small typhoon. Our luggage got drenched. When we tried to take the boat to the U.S.S. Arizona memorial on the 4th the Navy had cancelled all tours due to lightning. A bit disappointing since who knows when we will ever get back there. 8-9 hours in economy-plus is a bear!
That sucks, must have been the remnants of Hurricane Ignacio. But congrats on getting married!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post
Odd I missed that, I did take a look at the list and don't remember seeing anybody. Hehe, oh well.

Edit: Ah, it was never updated on the main post, it still shows Hawaii blank.

That sucks, must have been the remnants of Hurricane Ignacio. But congrats on getting married!

Thanks! We had a wonderful time. Gotta say, our favorite Island was Kauai. We drove around the two days we were in port, recognizing the mountain from "South Pacific" (Bali Hai). The ship took us along the Napali Coast for some photo opps. Wow! Incredible coastline.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Dennis- are the new Philharmonitors done and shipping?

Old 12-09-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Dennis- are the new Philharmonitors done and shipping?
What-what--are you trying to derail the discussion of Hawaiian topography? But if we must get back to speakers, I'm ready to take orders for the new Philharmonitor. The drilled baffles and RAAL tweeters have arrived. And I just got off the phone with Parts Express, and they will definitely be carrying the Neo 8 planar midrange for the Phil 3. They're just waiting to get a signed contract back. So the Phil 3 apparently still lives.
t1337Dude, Gmash and ien2 like this.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
What-what--are you trying to derail the discussion of Hawaiian topography? But if we must get back to speakers, I'm ready to take orders for the new Philharmonitor. The drilled baffles and RAAL tweeters have arrived. And I just got off the phone with Parts Express, and they will definitely be carrying the Neo 8 planar midrange for the Phil 3. They're just waiting to get a signed contract back. So the Phil 3 apparently still lives.
That's good news.

I was wanting to jump on that last pair but wasn't so sure I wanted Piano Black. (Phil 3)
Gives me time now.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
What-what--are you trying to derail the discussion of Hawaiian topography?

Quote:
But if we must get back to speakers, I'm ready to take orders for the new Philharmonitor. The drilled baffles and RAAL tweeters have arrived. And I just got off the phone with Parts Express, and they will definitely be carrying the Neo 8 planar midrange for the Phil 3. They're just waiting to get a signed contract back. So the Phil 3 apparently still lives.
That's good to hear, I was very impressed when I got to listen to them. Now I get to go harp on a couple of people some more to place an order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post
Thanks! We had a wonderful time. Gotta say, our favorite Island was Kauai. We drove around the two days we were in port, recognizing the mountain from "South Pacific" (Bali Hai). The ship took us along the Napali Coast for some photo opps. Wow! Incredible coastline.
I really like Kauai too, and the Big Island also. Those are the two I always recommend people to visit. I've never seen Napali from sea, but I've come in from the south up to the ridge line and seen it from there, incredible views.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

They arrived!

OK - I just got the demo/test/original New Philharmonitor (I call it the Ravel cause I don't care for the New Philharmonitor name.)

Anyway, pretty busy and will be going out of town on early Sunday so these are just my preliminary thoughts. Right now, they are hooked up to my friend's stereo with a Fiio X1 DAC/player playing FLAC files through an old AR receiver.

First thing is - if you love the female voice, you must get a speaker with a Raal tweeter!
I've listened to a lot of good speakers in my life but these suckas really bring out the upper range of the female voice. Never heard anything like this before.

I'm not sure if it's just mainly my music recorded last century - mainly MOR - I haven't pulled out my audiophile recordings yet - but there's a LOT of bass at louder volumes. Even though they aren't set up really well, they are pulled away from walls at least two feet.
This is a bit of a concern because I do like to play these loud.

I'll get a few photos out tomorrow.

Last edited by charmerci; 12-11-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement