Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #511 of 4724 Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't imagine what this rig is going to sound like with all those fantastic best of bread...

"BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK"

the gear is going to have...

SYNERGY!
Solid-State is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #512 of 4724 Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Eternal Velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I think he's talking about basic voicing, not dynamic limitations. But perhaps he can elaborate further.

I mostly just meant that open back or open baffle or panel type speakers give a bit more reflected sound off the wall behind them.
Eternal Velocity is online now  
post #513 of 4724 Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Eternal Velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

PS Now I just need to find a deal on an ATI AT2007 and wait for MDS/Emo to finish the XMC

Why not get a 3003 and 1805
Eternal Velocity is online now  
post #514 of 4724 Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

Why not get a 3003 and 1805

hmm... that's good advice. I was thinking I'd use the extra two AT2007 channels for two Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba HT DIY subs! There is a rather large jump to the AT300x modules and I dunno if I really need that kinda power across the front.

I might just have to rethink that if the numbers are right.

Perhaps the AT3003 and an AT1803 or 5 might be smarter. And you're right in saying I should get the AT1805 as the five channel would be easier to resell down the road.

OR

I could just buy the lifer AT3007 but I'd have to have a separate breaker ran for it!

LOL

PS might be a good opportunity to give the circuit an isolated ground... hmm...
Solid-State is offline  
post #515 of 4724 Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Newbie
 
pragmatic001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to ask a bunch of questions, but I think hearing them is the only answer that will satisfy me.
pragmatic001 is offline  
post #516 of 4724 Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Newbie
 
pragmatic001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I thought of one question worth asking. I'm a classical junkie. How much power would you recommend to get realistic dynamics?

Now, I'm not talking about Loud, I don't care much about that. I think you know what I mean Dennis. That moment when the mallet meets the tympani, a raging brass section.

Do you have an amp you particularly enjoy with your speakers?
pragmatic001 is offline  
post #517 of 4724 Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatic001 View Post

Okay, I thought of one question worth asking. I'm a classical junkie. How much power would you recommend to get realistic dynamics?

Now, I'm not talking about Loud, I don't care much about that. I think you know what I mean Dennis. That moment when the mallet meets the tympani, a raging brass section.

Do you have an amp you particularly enjoy with your speakers?

Hi I'm not really an amp guy. Their basic voicing sounds pretty much the same to me. What I'm concerned about is the ability to drive 4-ohm loads to realistic levels when all the orchestral stops are pulled out. I'm currently using a Van Alstine Inight amp and preamp. It think the amp is rated at 120 watts/channel--higher into 4 ohms--and it takes everything I can throw at it, including the Salk SounScapes. In comparison, my Marsh amp rated at 200 watts shuts down on the Salks just when I'm starting to enjoy things. And I know you're not talking about shere volume. But Wagner should sound like Wagner, and that takes a really well-engineered amplifier.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
post #518 of 4724 Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Are you using a sub, Dennis?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #519 of 4724 Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post


I was thinking I'd use the extra two AT2007 channels for two Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba HT DIY subs! There is a rather large jump to the AT300x modules and I dunno if I really need that kinda power across the front.

Perhaps the AT3003 and an AT1803 or 5 might be smarter.

I could just buy the lifer AT3007 but I'd have to have a separate breaker ran for it!

This reminds me of back in the school days with those multiple choice questions. You know what they say, the first answer is usually the right one.

I would get either AT2007 or AT3007. All depends on your budget. Both will be great.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #520 of 4724 Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Are you using a sub, Dennis?

Hi No--neither the 3's nor SoundScapes require one. The 2 doesn't either for 99% of the music I listen to.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
post #521 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Agreed, Dennis, no sub for me the servo just sits quietly. In fact many times when I was listening in the "pure audio" mode, I could have sworn the sub was on, still......VeRy HaPpY!!!
woodsart is offline  
post #522 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Am I the only one skeptical about a certain person's claim to (future) purchase? Just curious...

ADTG, what's the ETA buddy?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #523 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Am I the only one skeptical about a certain person's claim to (future) purchase? Just curious...

ADTG, what's the ETA buddy?

I think Dennis can answer that question better than I.

I believe Del has completed the cabinets, which look very sexy high gloss.

Dennis might be waiting for some packing materials to arrive. We want to reduce the risk of scratching those sexy high gloss cabinets.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #524 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I think Dennis can answer that question better than I.

I believe Del has completed the cabinets, which look very sexy high gloss.

Dennis might be waiting for some packing materials to arrive. We want to reduce the risk of scratching those sexy high gloss cabinets.

Hi I've got all kind of wrapping. But Del also has a boatload of cabinets for me to pick up, and I want to do it all at once with a van(he's about 70 miles away). So I'll have to wait until everything this ready, tentatively scheduled for Friday.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
post #525 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Am I the only one skeptical about a certain person's claim to (future) purchase? Just curious...

ADTG, what's the ETA buddy?

No, you aren't...
bfreedma is offline  
post #526 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Hi I've got all kind of wrapping. But Del also has a boatload of cabinets for me to pick up, and I want to do it all at once with a van(he's about 70 miles away). So I'll have to wait until everything this ready, tentatively scheduled for Friday.

No rush on my part, Dennis.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #527 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Hi I've got all kind of wrapping. But Del also has a boatload of cabinets for me to pick up, and I want to do it all at once with a van(he's about 70 miles away). So I'll have to wait until everything this ready, tentatively scheduled for Friday.

Is the top and bottom boxed separately? Also did you get formed foam made-up when you had the cabs from Asia for the 2s manufactured? I didn't think you'd be using bubble wrap if that's what you mean Dennis. I'd thought the Phil 2 cabs would come from Asia boxed like a loudspeaker manufactured there less drivers and xover.

No double boxed with formed foam inserts?

Also because the XMC1 release will affect my ATI purchase, I was wondering about experience driving these speakers with Emotiva XPA modules. I have a stack of UPA1 monoblocks that are basically XPA modules with their own PSU and more capacitance. I probably will be using those amps until late spring early summer.

Here is an Audio Precision report with a 4ohm load.
http://emotiva.com/upa1/upa1_4ohm.pdf
Solid-State is offline  
post #528 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

Is the top and bottom boxed separately? Also did you get formed foam made-up when you had the cabs from Asia for the 2s manufactured? I didn't think you'd be using bubble wrap if that's what you mean Dennis. I'd thought the Phil 2 cabs would come from Asia boxed like a loudspeaker manufactured there less drivers and xover.

No double boxed with formed foam inserts?

Also because the XMC1 release will affect my ATI purchase, I was wondering about experience driving these speakers with Emotiva XPA modules. I have a stack of UPA1 monoblocks that are basically XPA modules with their own PSU and more capacitance. I probably will be using those amps until late spring early summer.

Here is an Audio Precision report with a 4ohm load.
http://emotiva.com/upa1/upa1_4ohm.pdf

Not to worry. All of the Philharmonics have custom foam endcaps and double boxing. The lower and upper cabinets are boxed separately, each with the endcaps and double boxes. The wrap I'm talking about is just to provide protection when I pick them up from the cabinet shop and work with them during assembly. I've never had the Emotiva in my house, but any decent amplifer with at least 100 watts/channel into 4 ohms would work fine with the 2's.
Dennis Murphy is online now  
post #529 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What are you waiting for Solid-State? You've asked more questions than they do in a presidential debate. Place the order already!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #530 of 4724 Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post


I'll be placing an order soon Dennis!

PS Now I just need to find a deal on an ATI AT2007 and wait for MDS/Emo to finish the XMC

Here is the place to buy ATI. Authorized ATI dealer. Full 7 yr warranty.

The AT1807 is only $2K. Spec very conservatively says 180wpc 8ohms, but will probably do 200wpc 8ohms.

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/ind...fiers.html?p=1
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #531 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 AM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Are you using a sub, Dennis?

On Dennis's site there is a huge section with all kinds of test on the MLTL bass section of the loudspeaker.

I can imagine it's bass performance is fantastic looking at those measurements.

With 30 watts into the SB driver Dennis is outputting 100 dB plus from 40Hz up. It starts it's dive at about 36 Hz. With the Revelator it starts it's dive at 28 Hz.

These speakers are serious business in the bass department!

Is it possible to see full gate 6ms quasi-anechoic at 90 dB ?

(farfield with short gate, farfield with a long gate, and splice of nearfield/farfield)

I'm learning here... at 1m + would that help to create a decent reading below 200 ?
Solid-State is offline  
post #532 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
^ And the questions begin...AGAIN. I predict he never buys a pair...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #533 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

^ And the questions begin...AGAIN. I predict he never buys a pair...

Awwww, I'm sure he wouldn't let an opportunity slip through his hands like this guy.


"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #534 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Awwww, I'm sure he wouldn't let an opportunity slip through his hands like this guy.


LOL! I have more faith in Wes than SS.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #535 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Awwww, I'm sure he wouldn't let an opportunity slip through his hands like this guy.


That wasn't the only opportunity that slipped through the Patriot's hands. How can a linebacker beat out 6'6" Gronkowski for that jump ball? Don't even start.

I'm telling you. It was destiny. Again. Deja vu.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #536 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

^ And the questions begin...AGAIN. I predict he never buys a pair...

I think he wants to score the ATI amps first. Maybe undecided on speakers. Or trying to fit his budget. Or still negotiating with the boss, I mean wife.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #537 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I think he wants to score the ATI amps first. Maybe undecided on speakers. Or trying to fit his budget. Or still negotiating with the boss, I mean wife.

Follow his posts...that's all I'm sayin'.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #538 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

That wasn't the only opportunity that slipped through the Patriot's hands. How can a linebacker beat out 6'6" Gronkowski for that jump ball? Don't even start.

I'm telling you. It was destiny. Again. Deja vu.

too bad gisele wasn't on that route. she would've wrestled it away from the linebacker for sure


but i digress. what would be the minimum size room needed for these phil2's?
grubadub is offline  
post #539 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Eternal Velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

what would be the minimum size room needed for these phil2's?

In general, it's best to give your head 4+ feet from the wall behind you, speakers 3+ feet from the side wall, and the phils will need a few feet from front wall as they are a deep speaker.

It's generally preferable to give speakers 6+ feet distancefrom each other (mine are over 10feet apart) and i'd probably sit 6+ feet away from most multi way. The taller the ceiling the better. A carpet or rug on the floor is normally a good idea.

What is your room like??
Eternal Velocity is online now  
post #540 of 4724 Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

In general, it's best to give your head 4+ feet from the wall behind you, speakers 3+ feet from the side wall, and the phils will need a few feet from front wall as they are a deep speaker.

It's generally preferable to give speakers 6+ feet distancefrom each other (mine are over 10feet apart) and i'd probably sit 6+ feet away from most multi way. The taller the ceiling the better. A carpet or rug on the floor is normally a good idea.

What is your room like??

actually, i'm house hunting so i don't know yet. thanks for the response.
grubadub is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off