Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 180 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 275Likes

post #5371 of 5389 Old 01-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervinb View Post
Phil 3 impressions (#2)
Also very interesting is how good 64kbps compressed audio from BBC sounds via the Schiit Gungnir Multibit dac and the Phil 3s. There's a lot of talk about how top R2R dacs get great sound from non hi-res sources, and this seems to be a real life example.
Do you think it might be due to the difference between a dome and a ribbon tweeter. The dome tends to be more prone to sibilance than a ribbon and I could see how the dome might also unduly emphasize certain artifacts of compressed audio.

I guess when someone changes electronics and speakers at the same time, I am inclined to believe the changes in sound are much more likely due to speakers than anything else (unless electronics were of especially poor design or defective).

Do you have another set of speakers you can test?

Thanks for addressing my curiosity if you can!

Cheers,
Kurt (aka KEW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 5389 Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
You're right, I haven't seen many pictures wth the grills on, and I agree with you that they look really nice like that. They look a lot more like more conventional speakers. Congrats!
Wow those look very nice
post #5373 of 5389 Old 01-25-2016, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Notes! View Post
Do you think it might be due to the difference between a dome and a ribbon tweeter. The dome tends to be more prone to sibilance than a ribbon and I could see how the dome might also unduly emphasize certain artifacts of compressed audio.

I guess when someone changes electronics and speakers at the same time, I am inclined to believe the changes in sound are much more likely due to speakers than anything else (unless electronics were of especially poor design or defective).

Do you have another set of speakers you can test?

Thanks for addressing my curiosity if you can!
I'm no expert and any opinions offered would be broad generalisations anyway. I think that as always implementation is the key. This thread on diyaudio has some very insightful comments, esp. from Lynn Olson, that have provided me much food for thought.
Taking Notes! and anetode like this.

Last edited by mervinb; 01-26-2016 at 05:03 AM.
post #5374 of 5389 Old 01-29-2016, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am wondering about how the open back midrange of the Slims and Phil3 compares to a full open baffle design. I have an excellent 2-way tower (Merlin VSM) supplemented by JLAudio f113 subwoofers. I am looking for a more immersive soundstage. The search has lead me to believe that I need to look away from boxed designs towards open baffles. An open back midrange may give some of the benefits of open baffle without some of its placement limitations. I most wonder about the differences in bass from open baffle to TL. I realize, too, that the open back midrange as implemented in the Slims and Phil3 isn't a true open baffle. Comments anyone?

Josh
post #5375 of 5389 Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzexport View Post
An open back midrange may give some of the benefits of open baffle without some of its placement limitations.
Exactly. Allowing more back wave from only the mid range driver can create a greater sense of image depth. And as you pointed out, it avoids the tricky room placement problems that come with open baffle bass.

And yes, the mid range isn't a true open baffle design. The open back design allows the owner to vary the amount of stuffing, or even close the back, to choose the amount of back wave. In a sense, it allows the owner to select just how 'open backed' these speakers sound. So both features allow for much more flexible room placement than the standard open baffle design speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzexport View Post
I most wonder about the differences in bass from open baffle to TL.
Although I've only heard one or two open baffle bass drivers, I think they introduce more problems than they solve because of front/back bass cancellations. The TL bass speakers I've heard, including the Phil3 and Slims, sound excellent in general, and allow for easy room placement.
Taking Notes! likes this.
post #5376 of 5389 Old 01-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Mr murphy i put a hole in my bass on my phil 3 how do i get it fixed and how much $ tried emailing u on the site
post #5377 of 5389 Old 01-30-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lo Mr. Murphy... I am looking to purchase 2 sets of the Affordable Monitor for my surrounds. I will be paring them with some Martin Logan Motion SLM's in a 10 x 20 x vaulted 8 foot room. Sent an email on the site as well. Product will be headed to Atlanta.

Thanks,
post #5378 of 5389 Old 01-30-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezufnoC View Post
Lo Mr. Murphy... I am looking to purchase 2 sets of the Affordable Monitor for my surrounds. I will be paring them with some Martin Logan Motion SLM's in a 10 x 20 x vaulted 8 foot room. Sent an email on the site as well. Product will be headed to Atlanta.

Thanks,
I just saw it (I've been at a rehearsal all day? I'll give you a call shortly.
post #5379 of 5389 Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zasx2 View Post
Mr murphy i put a hole in my bass on my phil 3 how do i get it fixed and how much $ tried emailing u on the site
Hi I haven't received an e-mail. Did you try info@philharmonicaudio.com? In any event, if you really did mess up and inflict injury, I'm afraid it wouldn't be covered under warranty. But if you'll e-mail me, we can figure out whether there's any way to repair it. If not, I will send you a new woofer at my wholesale cost plus shipping.
post #5380 of 5389 Old 01-30-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Hi I haven't received an e-mail. Did you try info@philharmonicaudio.com? In any event, if you really did mess up and inflict injury, I'm afraid it wouldn't be covered under warranty. But if you'll e-mail me, we can figure out whether there's any way to repair it. If not, I will send you a new woofer at my wholesale cost plus shipping.
Warranty lol nope my dumd ass tried picking it up to put in the box and my weak ass hand sliped and my thumb went threw the bass now if thats coverd you have the best warranty ever lol. Ill try the email again my poor olive burl babie
post #5381 of 5389 Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Phil 3 impressions (#3)

This may well be my last post regarding my first weeks with the Phil 3s, as I've almost stopped tweaking filling and positioning, and just spend my time enjoying the music.

Filling material: I've experimented with some pretty exotic filling material a friend used in a DIY speaker he help complete for me. It's possibly Twaron Angel Hair - very fine, long threads, much denser that what Dennis provides. I started with a large handful, spread around the midrange, with nothing in the tweeter section. The difference between this filling was noticeable - the mids sounded more 'damped'. yet imaging did not seem to be affected. In the end I added another about 2/3 handful to add some body to the mids. Note that this is still a very small amount of filling, and is mostly behind the BG midrange.

Toe-in: None.

Burn-in: Nothing noticeable. I had asked about this earlier, and for my last pair of speakers there was some really noticeable change over time. I think this is because the drivers were stored for years, and by the time they were installed their suspensions could well have stiffened.

Neutrality / accuracy: I'm very familiar with my set of 30-40 reference tracks that have been used to tune my systems and those of friends, and at local DIY events. For many years prior to this I used digital EQ (BrutefirDRC) to manage room modes, and both my main and bedroom systems sounded very, very good, despite serious room issues in the main listening area. After some renovations modes are no longer an issue, and I don't use DEQ, but the Phil 3s are clearly very neutral top to bottom. They do sound like big speakers (vs. small monitors), but there is no part of the audio spectrum that sticks out. My reference tracks all sound great. There is no impetus to add DEQ.

The difference between the brighter and warmer recordings are more distinct than I can ever recall, but I think the overall chain (DAC - Amp - Speaker) contributes to it. The system is obviously quite revealing and detailed, but a violinist friend described the overall sound as polished and warm.
klh007 and Taking Notes! like this.
post #5382 of 5389 Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervinb View Post
Phil 3 impressions (#3)
The system is obviously quite revealing and detailed, but a violinist friend described the overall sound as polished and warm.
Thanks for the report. I appreciate all of the feedback. if you wish to hear a violin recording that won't sound polished and warm on the 3's, I can send you a cut of me playing about 40% of the notes in the Brahms violin concerto.
klh007, Mudslide, ahblaza and 4 others like this.
post #5383 of 5389 Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Thanks for the report. I appreciate all of the feedback. if you wish to hear a violin recording that won't sound polished and warm on the 3's, I can send you a cut of me playing about 40% of the notes in the Brahms violin concerto.
That sounds like it belongs on your Phil demo CD.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #5384 of 5389 Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I can send you a cut of me playing about 40% of the notes in the Brahms violin concerto.
40% eh? Perhaps you should be playing Steve Reich instead....

post #5385 of 5389 Old 02-05-2016, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
40% eh? Perhaps you should be playing Steve Reich instead....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LimnkPiP9QA
Well, that's 11 minutes and 39 seconds I'll never get back! ...and I knew better...just wanted to catch the bridge/reprise/climax/chorus/something!

Cheers,
Kurt (aka KEW)
post #5386 of 5389 Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Well, that's 11 minutes and 39 seconds I'll never get back! ...and I knew better...just wanted to catch the bridge/reprise/climax/chorus/something!
Hello Kurt. This is Phil albeit speakerman39 over at Audioholics. Good to see YOU posting here, as well as, on Audioholics. Hope ALL is well. Have a great day.

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #5387 of 5389 Old 02-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I thought the sarcasm was obvious...
post #5388 of 5389 Old Today, 08:25 AM

Liked: 2
I got a pair of New Phil coming from Dennis. I only had chance to run it for about 8 hours and it sounds very promising. In comparison to the Sierra-1 from Ascend, it certain fills the warmth and weight into the music. The bass is quite different to Sierra-1 and I am getting more used to it. The bass on Sierra-1 may sounds impressive initially and it does move quite a bit air, but later it was found less weight, texture, and impact. However, I do wish NP has move more air to get better "feel" of bass. My listening location also matters. If I move to some bass peak node, the feeling of "bass air volume" gets better.

While I was testing it, I have found it sounds better with about 2-foot distance away from front wall (right term?) (the back side of wall wrt speaker). I got lesser reflection issue from the wall right in front of me. It was just bare painted dry wall and I found it has quite impact on the tonal balance, especially on the upper mid to high frequency.

With Sierra-1 I have to use a two layer felt to cover that about 4'x3' wall right in front of me. Otherwise, the Sierra will sound harsh and fatiguing. But with that fabric patch, the New Phil may sounds a little bit less lively (over damped?) I prefer to take the center patch out and move NP our fruther (2' vs 1.5' for Sierra-1) to reduce the wall reflection while keep music more lively.

There are always two patch of 4'x6' quilting hanging right behind each speaker. And there are about 4~5 feet distance from side wall. I powered them up with Rotel RA-970BX (60W) and recapped Pioneer SX-950 (85W). Rotel sounds more lively but Pioneer has more bass volume. Both of them have room to improvement.

I guess that I am looking for idea for the room treatment, especially the front wall. And also I am looking for a better amp to drive them well.
post #5389 of 5389 Old Today, 08:25 AM

Liked: 2
Double post due to glitch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers