Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 275Likes
post #5401 of 5407 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I was thinking about Dennis' comments on the bass and realized that I haven't done rigorous volume matched comparison. This is the 3rd night I run in New Phil and I think its sound is more open up now. After I used the SPL meter (C weighting) and pink noise to match the volume, immediately I realized that the bass amount from NP was NOT any lacking compare to Sierra-1.

The reason why I felt it was lacking in the past 2 nights was due to the volume mismatching. Since NP is slightly less efficient than Sierra. I need to boost about 1.5dB to match but I didn't do a exactly match in the past. Due to the tonality up-tilting of the Sierra-1, NP probably has always produced less SPL even though I "thought" they roughly sound similar by ear.

Tonight after raise the volume up a bit, and I enjoy NP quite a bit tonight. I have got out of "evaluation mode" and started to explored a little bit into my music collection. The tonality of Sierra-1 and New Phil are totally different. Sierra-1 sounds like a teenager and New Phil a mature adult. I am going over my music to be more familiar with NP's sound.

Last edited by dukja; Yesterday at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5407 Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukja View Post
I was thinking about Dennis' comments on the bass and realized that I haven't done rigorous volume matched comparison. This is the 3rd night I run in New Phil and I think its sound is more open up now. After I used the SPL meter (C weighting) and pink noise to match the volume, immediately I realized that the bass amount from NP was NOT any lacking compare to Sierra-1.

The reason why I felt it was lacking in the past 2 nights was due to the volume mismatching. Since NP is slightly less efficient than Sierra. I need to boost about 1.5dB to match but I didn't do a exactly match in the past. Due to the tonality up-tilting of the Sierra-1, NP probably has always produced less SPL even though I "thought" they roughly sound similar by ear.

Tonight after raise the volume up a bit, and I enjoy NP quite a bit tonight. I have got out of "evaluation mode" and started to explored a little bit into my music collection. The tonality of Sierra-1 and New Phil are totally different. Sierra-1 sounds like a teenager and New Phil a mature adult. I am going over my music to be more familiar with NP's sound.
Hmmmmmm No one has accused me of being an adult before. The Phil monitors, along with most of my other offerings, are quite low in sensitivity. That's partly due to the drivers I use, part to my preference for deep bass extension over midbass warmth, and part due to more complete baffle step compensation than most other companies use, which results in less output in the 1,000 Hz region. There are plenty of high-sensitivity systems on the market, and many may prefer them for Home Theater. But for dedicated music listening, I've just found that higher quality drivers tend to me lower in sensitivity.
post #5403 of 5407 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks again for explain your approach. I always appreciate to be able to know the reason behind.

BTW, what was freq range that you referred to as "mid-bass"? I was not too sure about that.

"Mature adult" in a good way, like a dark chocolate for the Valentine. I hope that goes as a compliment.

Enjoy the voice of Mary Black from New Phil!
post #5404 of 5407 Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
@ dukja - thanks for your comments and review. I haven't heard a lot of reviews of the new Philharmonitor but I'm very interested in them. Keep posting comments!
post #5405 of 5407 Old Today, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Hmmmmmm No one has accused me of being an adult before. The Phil monitors, along with most of my other offerings, are quite low in sensitivity. That's partly due to the drivers I use, part to my preference for deep bass extension over midbass warmth, and part due to more complete baffle step compensation than most other companies use, which results in less output in the 1,000 Hz region. There are plenty of high-sensitivity systems on the market, and many may prefer them for Home Theater. But for dedicated music listening, I've just found that higher quality drivers tend to me lower in sensitivity.

Have you ever considered creating an efficient speaker geared towards Home Theater?
post #5406 of 5407 Unread Today, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam James View Post
Have you ever considered creating an efficient speaker geared towards Home Theater?
Not that Dennis couldn't, but there are a lot of good high efficiency designs out there, both commercially and DIY. I'd like to see a Dennis designed HT speaker, but just so you know there are options out there and very good options.
post #5407 of 5407 Unread Today, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post
Not that Dennis couldn't, but there are a lot of good high efficiency designs out there, both commercially and DIY. I'd like to see a Dennis designed HT speaker, but just so you know there are options out there and very good options.
Yes I am aware. I like Dennis's usage of high quality components and his crossover designs are renowned. I've heard great things about his speakers, especially their value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers