Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 522Likes

post #5491 of 5889 Old 04-27-2016, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Curly cherry with black overdye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5889 Old 04-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
Here are a few pictures.
The sunburst effect with the darkened edges looks great! I like how the edges echo the black of the drivers, very nice!
post #5493 of 5889 Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
got my kismet monoblocks, the new phils definitely scale up with better amplification. But I had to sell my nice dac to afford the amps, so now I'm using a much lesser quality temporary dac til my other nice dac arrives in june :/

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp

post #5494 of 5889 Old 04-28-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Well I inboxed them yesterday and I have been very impressed so far. The cabinets for Jim as worth the money themselves. Even my wife can't stop talking about them. I have only been able to listen to them briefly both nights, so I will post more thoughts on the sound later. I will say the few things that struck me immediately were the depth of the sound and how there was almost no change in sound as I moved around the room.

Here are a few pictures, I can't say enough about the finish. The pictures don't do them justice.

And dealing with Dennis has been pleasure as expected.
Oh WOW Jim! They look absolutely fantastic! Congrats on YOUR purchase. Looking forward to hearing some of YOUR initial impressions. It looks like I will be ordering a set of these just as soon as my SVS Ultras sell. Lucky YOU!

Cheers,

Phil
post #5495 of 5889 Old 04-28-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Well I inboxed them yesterday and I have been very impressed so far. The cabinets for Jim as worth the money themselves. Even my wife can't stop talking about them. I have only been able to listen to them briefly both nights, so I will post more thoughts on the sound later. I will say the few things that struck me immediately were the depth of the sound and how there was almost no change in sound as I moved around the room.

Here are a few pictures, I can't say enough about the finish. The pictures don't do them justice.

And dealing with Dennis has been pleasure as expected.
One thing about the BMR as a midrange, it puts out a wide soundstage. I expected, and was delighted by the crystal clear and detailed high end, as I have heard ribbons before...but I was most suprised by the present and accurate bass from the woofers and the wide soundstage of the BMR! Excellent speaker, but mine don't look as good as yours! Salk doesn't some really nice cabinets. (Mine was a beta version that Dennis made using PE cabinets...) ENJOY!
audiofreak38 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5496 of 5889 Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Any more thought on bringing back the Philharmonic 2?
post #5497 of 5889 Old 05-01-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Rogers View Post
Any more thought on bringing back the Philharmonic 2?
I take it you're referring to the speaker that had the 70-20 RAAL tweeter, the BG Neo 8 midrange, and a SB Acoustics 8" woofer, all in a black satin cabinet? If so, I've given absolutely no thought to bringing that back. It only made sense because I sourced the cabinets from over there, and they were about $700/pr cheaper than domestic cabinets I use in the Phil 3. Without that price advantage, the cost of a Phil 2 would be pretty close to a Phil 3, and it wouldn't go as low. The Phil 3 is the best speaker I know how to design, and I'm going to limit my high-end offerings to that particular design.
BuddTX and t1337Dude like this.
post #5498 of 5889 Old 05-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Ok, so I finally get to do some critical listening tonight. I'm going to post my thoughts as I go.

I decided to test them side by side with the sierras 1s as a reference although I have heard the Sierra 2s but it has been a while so I don't want to discuss them.

I did level match and the speakers were set up very similarly with sierras having a slight toe in and a little further apart. From my lsitening I don't think the BMRs need any toe in and can be a little closer together because of better dispersion. Also I listened in the sweet spot for now and did not move around the room, but I'll get to that eventually. But I can tell you already there is no comparison there, the BMRs are far superior. I can walk out of my living room around the corner and up the stairs and the sound quality is still very clear without losing much volume. I'll come back to that at a later date.

So I started off with my speaker testing list which I always run through with every speaker I buy. First song was Ray Charles "Georgia on my mind".

The BMRs really stood out by producing a more natural sound. I call it depth, while the sierras 1s seem slightly forward. The Sierra vocals are more pushed toward at you, while the BMRs sound like your listening to someone set back on the stage. Also the BMRs feel more realistic because of the wider soundstage. With the sierras 1s the vocals would have a nice dispersion through the center of the soundstage between the speakers, but not so much outside of that. You could clearly place the speakers when hearing background instruments specifically. The BMRs didn't have the issues with the soundstage extending out where I was having a very difficult time placing the speaker location at all. The bass was definitely better on the BMRs with very tight controlled sections when needed. The sierras did a nice job on the bass, but wasn't as tight in a few sections.

Next Steve ray Vaughen "little wing". The soundstage was definitely improved for the Sierras on the this song. However, again the BMRs had more depth and soundstage make the sound much more natural. There were also a few sections where Vaughen does some really fast guitar segments. The BMRs, I was able to hear each note without getting somewhat muddled like the Sierra 1s. Lastly the drum kicks were much more pronounced and tight on the BMRs, which makes sense given the larger driver and bigger cabinet. Although the BMRs were clearly better I always enjoyed the sierras 1s with the song particularly. The BMRs just took it to the next level.

Next up Al Green, "simply beautiful". The song is more like he is sitting right of front of you so soundstage isn't so much of an issue here. Again the BMRs were more natural due to the sound depth, the sierras were more in your face, not as smooth either for the vocals for Al. The bass was also more pronounced and felt with the BMRs. I could actually felt the bass sitting there listening to the song about 9ft away. It wasnt in the floor feeling, it's was kind of strange. I may have to come back to that because I haven't had that happen that I can remember.

Now D'angelo Cruisin'. For the song the lyrics are more recessed making the sierras 1s improved here. However there a lot punchy bass notes close together in the song. The Sierras struggled with note seperation and were slightly muddled. The BMRs were much better here with emphasis while remaining tight. Again it seems to me like the BMRs the bass sound is more in the air while the Sierra 1s more in the ground feeling. Not sure if I'm explaining that exactly right.

Next Norah Jones "in the morning". I have always found that if the speaker is bright at all her voice tends to show it. The BMRs handled the song wonderfully, with a very natural sound without any forwardness or brightness. This was actually my favorite song on my list to demo on the BMRs. I have yet to hear that song sound that good and I have heard it on speakers much more expensive. The RAAL really shines.

Miles Davis "flamenco sketches". There was actually some background noise in the recording I hadn't previously heard before. The BMRs clearly captured this. The horns really shined on with the RAAL. The piano sounded accurate and natural. The sierras were more forward causing some slight fatigue to me through the heavy horn sections.

Lastly for tonight Rick Ross "Aston Martin music"

Well this one I am not so sure. I always thought the bass hit harder on this song than the BMRs really managed. Not sure if it was sub 30s notes the BMRs are missing. There were definitely some tight notes, but it seems like something was missing. I'll have to come back to this later.

That's it for tonight. I will say I can't imagine any other speaker that can compete with these at this price given the high quality cabinets from Jim and the sound from Dennis. These are really beautiful and excellent sounding speakers at a very modest 1600 dollar price point. I've always enjoyed the Acend speakers that I have heard and they really started me on the journey, but for the price the Sierra 2s, the direct competition in my mind, don't stand a chance given getting Jims cabnets, the higher volume and lower bass capabilities of the BMRs, and the wider dispersion using the BMR midrange. They have certainly exceeded my expectations and they were pretty high to begin with.

Note though they are huge when compared to most bookshelfs, much more like a mini tower. However to me, I really like the size as the stand out more which I enjoy. Especially when the finish is so amazing.

Here are a few pics of the BMRs and sierras side by side. You can see what I mean about the size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462239908762.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1419322   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462239929692.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1419330   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1462239946793.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1419338  
Taking Notes! and charmerci like this.

Last edited by jimrowe0; 05-02-2016 at 06:59 PM.
post #5499 of 5889 Old 05-02-2016, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Jim, excellent review and you said a few things in a way much better than I could describe when talking about the Phil-BMR! Just an excellent speaker for critical music listening and amongst the best I have ever heard!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5500 of 5889 Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I take it you're referring to the speaker that had the 70-20 RAAL tweeter, the BG Neo 8 midrange, and a SB Acoustics 8" woofer, all in a black satin cabinet? If so, I've given absolutely no thought to bringing that back. It only made sense because I sourced the cabinets from over there, and they were about $700/pr cheaper than domestic cabinets I use in the Phil 3. Without that price advantage, the cost of a Phil 2 would be pretty close to a Phil 3, and it wouldn't go as low. The Phil 3 is the best speaker I know how to design, and I'm going to limit my high-end offerings to that particular design.
Ah, I had read a few pages back (or maybe like 10) that you had considered bringing back the Phil 2 with the new OEM tweeter and slightly different drivers to get the cost lower, but with the custom cabs they would come in at like $2700 or so.
post #5501 of 5889 Old 05-02-2016, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, I had read a few pages back (or maybe like 10) that you had considered bringing back the Phil 2 with the new OEM tweeter and slightly different drivers to get the cost lower, but with the custom cabs they would come in at like $2700 or so.
I did have some interest in doing that, and I have a test cabinet. But I have two 3-ways with the less expensive RAAL tweeter--the Slims and the BMR--and I'm not convinced that people would pay several hundred dollars more just to get slightly better bass. The 3's are worth the extra cost because the added bass extension is substantial--a whole order of magnitude--and the much more expensive RAAL 70-10 tweeter is a step up.
Mister_Rogers likes this.
post #5502 of 5889 Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I did have some interest in doing that, and I have a test cabinet. But I have two 3-ways with the less expensive RAAL tweeter--the Slims and the BMR--and I'm not convinced that people would pay several hundred dollars more just to get slightly better bass. The 3's are worth the extra cost because the added bass extension is substantial--a whole order of magnitude--and the much more expensive RAAL 70-10 tweeter is a step up.
I see, makes sense. I see that the top O' the line Salks use the 70-20XR, any reason you didn't use that in the 3's? What exactly are the advantages of the 70-20 over the 70-10.

Cheers.
post #5503 of 5889 Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see, makes sense. I see that the top O' the line Salks use the 70-20XR, any reason you didn't use that in the 3's? What exactly are the advantages of the 70-20 over the 70-10.

Cheers.
The 20XR RAAL was chosen for the Salk line because the tweeter had to work in a 2-way design (the HT1 and the HT2's), which required a very low crossover point of 2000 Hz or a little lower. The wider ribbon in the 20XR can handle that, while the 10 mm element can't. But the 10 can go down to a little below 3 kHz, so it's fine for a 3-way design. I actually prefer the 10 mm because the narrower element has broader horizontal dispersion.
post #5504 of 5889 Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Get the Slims! If I had the dough, that's what I would have done.
post #5505 of 5889 Old 05-03-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Get the Slims! If I had the dough, that's what I would have done.
I actually liked the original Slims design a bit more and probably would have gone that route if they hadn't been nixed.
post #5506 of 5889 Old 05-03-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I actually liked the original Slims design a bit more and probably would have gone that route if they hadn't been nixed.
Well, they were nixed because they cost almost $1,000 more and to my ears didn't sound any better except for a bit more power handling at the low end.
smurraybhm and t1337Dude like this.
post #5507 of 5889 Old 05-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Liked: 6
Phil 3s

Hi My name is Leslie. I live in the greater Houston metro area.
I getting real close to ordering a pair of Phil 3s.
I am curious if anyone in the state or even surrounding states is willing to let me listen to their Phil 3s prior to ordering.
I am about ready to pull the trigger but it would be nice to hear them first.
Just trying to narrow down the finish on them.
Thanks
post #5508 of 5889 Old 05-06-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5wb View Post
I getting real close to ordering a pair of Phil 3s.
I am curious if anyone in the state or even surrounding states is willing to let me listen to their Phil 3s prior to ordering.
I am about ready to pull the trigger but it would be nice to hear them first.
Thanks
And if you find someone maybe I can get in on that as well.
I'm down south about 120miles but would love to hear these before jumping onto what I was going to do.
ad5wb likes this.
post #5509 of 5889 Old 05-06-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I getting real close to ordering a pair of Phil 3s. I am curious if anyone in the state or even surrounding states is willing to let me listen to their Phil 3s prior to ordering. I am about ready to pull the trigger but it would be nice to hear them first.
Sorry, I can't help you with listening to them (maybe Dennis Murphy knows of someone nearby you), but I certainly want to encourage you to order without hearing them. Yes, they are that good . You won't be the first person who has done that.

You can thank me later .
post #5510 of 5889 Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Phil 3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
Sorry, I can't help you with listening to them (maybe Dennis Murphy knows of someone nearby you), but I certainly want to encourage you to order without hearing them. Yes, they are that good . You won't be the first person who has done that.

You can thank me later .
Thanks!
I am at the stage. I will probably order Monday even if I cannot arrange an audition for a later date. My wife and I settled on a finish.
I did ask Dennis, but he said he had some database issues that prevented him from searching for someone near me.
Thanks again.
cheers
Leslie
klh007 and t1337Dude like this.
post #5511 of 5889 Old 05-06-2016, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!
I am at the stage. I will probably order Monday even if I cannot arrange an audition for a later date. My wife and I settled on a finish.
I did ask Dennis, but he said he had some database issues that prevented him from searching for someone near me.
Thanks again.
cheers
Leslie
Yeah--like my computer blew up and I hadn't had the good sense to back up my invoices. But the whole thing seems so simple to me. If you bought a pair of 3's, you would have a pair to listen to in your very own living room. No need for a trip to Tulsa or Baton Rouge.
ad5wb likes this.
post #5512 of 5889 Old 05-06-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Thanks!
Thanks again.
cheers
Leslie
Cool. Then I'll have a place to listen. Lol
ad5wb likes this.
post #5513 of 5889 Old 05-07-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah--like my computer blew up and I hadn't had the good sense to back up my invoices. But the whole thing seems so simple to me. If you bought a pair of 3's, you would have a pair to listen to in your very own living room. No need for a trip to Tulsa or Baton Rouge.
Hi Dennis Murphy.
True :-)
You will probably hear from me Monday
post #5514 of 5889 Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Dennis Murphy.
True :-)
You will probably hear from me Monday
Actually, I just remembered that I had the earlier invoices on my old XP computer. It looks like I only shipped one pair of 3's to Texas, and that was to a guy who became a dealer for a high end speaker line and sold all of his existing speakers. I don't know where they ended up.
post #5515 of 5889 Old 05-07-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Actually, I just remembered that I had the earlier invoices on my old XP computer. It looks like I only shipped one pair of 3's to Texas, and that was to a guy who became a dealer for a high end speaker line and sold all of his existing speakers. I don't know where they ended up.
Hi Dennis Murphy:

Thank you for the extra effort
I will be in touch Monday.
thanks and best weekend
Leslie
post #5516 of 5889 Old 05-07-2016, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Phil 3s

Quote:
Hi Dennis Murphy:

Thank you for the extra effort
I will be in touch Monday.
thanks and best weekend
Leslie
Dennis' Phil 3s are one of the best values in audio. If you like neutral balance, great detail top to bottom, deep-room pressurizing bass, beautiful vocals, cymbals that sound real, and an expansive yet focused soundstage, you will love the P3s.
ad5wb likes this.

Kemper Holt
post #5517 of 5889 Old 05-07-2016, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I recently went on a mission to see how much better a speaker I could find and how much damage it would do to my wallet.
Listened to flagship B+W, Vandersteen, Sonus Faber, and Magnepan loudspeakers.
None of them sounded better than the Phil3 to my ear!
The Magnepan's "wall of sound" was quite pleasant and captivating, but I would not be able to get past an over emphasis on S's and K's - those sounds were too crisp to be natural!
It is sad to know people are paying those prices and not getting as good a sound as the Phil3 which are a fraction of the cost.
I want to hear the Salon and some of MartinLogan's top electrostatic speakers, but the Phil3's represent an amazing package of performance and value.

Cheers,
Kurt (aka KEW)
post #5518 of 5889 Old 05-07-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
Dennis' Phil 3s are one of the best values in audio. If you like neutral balance, great detail top to bottom, deep-room pressurizing bass, beautiful vocals, cymbals that sound real, and an expansive yet focused soundstage, you will love the P3s.
klh007: Kemper Holt:

Thank you for your input.
Best regards
Leslie
post #5519 of 5889 Old 05-07-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Notes! View Post
I recently went on a mission to see how much better a speaker I could find and how much damage it would do to my wallet.
The Magnepan's "wall of sound" was quite pleasant and captivating, but I would not be able to get past an over emphasis on S's and K's - those sounds were too crisp to be natural!
It is sad to know people are paying those prices and not getting as good a sound as the Phil3 which are a fraction of the cost.
I want to hear the Salon and some of MartinLogan's top electrostatic speakers, but the Phil3's represent an amazing package of performance and value.

Taking Notes! : Kurt (Kew)

Thank you for your input. It is nice to hear the comparisons! Thank you!
Best regards
Leslie
Taking Notes! likes this.
post #5520 of 5889 Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Notes! View Post
I've heard the previous iteration of the Salon's and a top of the line pair of some other brand that retailed in the $20K+ range and neither really impressed me when taking into consideration their price and the price of the Phil 3's I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page