Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 362Likes
post #5551 of 5553 Old 08-07-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post
Hey Dennis... How timber matched are the various options for use in HT? Correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be somewhat of the opinion that surrounds have to be sort of close but true timber match isn't required? Of course this is just for moves? I am sure 5.1 or more concert music would probably be different?

I know given unlimited budget that 5 of same speaker is ideal, but given limitation...Set of silms or 3's wit BMR x 3 or Phils are more than enough?

I know you have a center but to avoid lobing isn't a BMR or Phil better if it can be used?

Thanks!
More good questions. I'll have to get back to you tonight on these--I have 14 people coming over for a music (?) recital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5553 Old 08-07-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post
Hey Dennis... How timber matched are the various options for use in HT? Correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be somewhat of the opinion that surrounds have to be sort of close but true timber match isn't required? Of course this is just for moves? I am sure 5.1 or more concert music would probably be different?

I know given unlimited budget that 5 of same speaker is ideal, but given limitation...Set of silms or 3's wit BMR x 3 or Phils are more than enough?

I know you have a center but to avoid lobing isn't a BMR or Phil better if it can be used?

Thanks!
For HT, surrounds are the last place I would invest heavy funds. Aesthetics aside, I think my Affordable Accuracy monitors are more than adequate to the task. I'm not sure most people have a complete understanding of center channel lobing issues. If you have the room, any monitor standing upright will have more even horizontal dispersion than most any dedicated center channel placed horizontally. But even a horizontal MTM will be fine for most applications. At typical listening distances, you have to be pretty darn far off axis before lobing between the two woofers will be a real issue. i think horizontal MTM's get a bum rap in that regard.
post #5553 of 5553 Unread Today, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I just took possession today of my first pair of Philharmonic speakers - a pair of the New Philharmonic Monitors. They may be replacing a pair of Emotiva ERM-1 monitor speakers that I've owned for 7-8 years.

I'm driving these speakers with an Onkyo TX-8050 (80wpc) receiver through the USB port & an 8GB thumb drive loaded with Flac files. I put Paul Simon's Graceland on since I'm very familiar with his music - and this is my favorite album by Simon. First impression was these speakers are pretty good! They seem to have the entire audible range covered nicely. The highs are clean and clear - the mid bass 'slam' that we all love is pretty good but IMO the ERM-1's may have an slight edge since they do have dual 5 1/4" woofers. I'll know more when I install the ERM-1's on the 'B' speaker terminals so I can A/B them in real time.

I was hesitant to buy another two way monitor with a 6 1/2" woofer. Been there done that with a pair of Infinity Beta 20's which everyone was gaga over - everyone except me! The bass extension with them was quite low but was muddy. I eventually sold them and ended up with the ERM-1's.

I've had about half an hour with the NPM so far and like what I hear. I'll know more after a week or so should anyone get curious. I'm going to set the song towers aside this weekend and have a long listening session with these speakers in the living room.

My initial impression is this speaker: if anyone is looking for an inexpensive decent sounding speaker that doesn't require a sub to round out the sound these just might be what you're looking for.

Emotiva XSP-1 - 2x Emotiva UPA-1 - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
When all else fails - RTFM!
***GO SEAHAWKS ***
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers