Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 637Likes

post #5581 of 5994 Old 10-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Got it! thanks. I got a bit confused due the the point about modifying the input and power supply capacitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5994 Old 11-10-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought Phil-BMR's last year around this time. I have been enjoying those very well. Those speakers are something special. I was so impressed with those...I placed an order for Philharmonics Slims for my Home theater build in my basement thsi week.

I haven't seen any pics of those Slims around here. Does anyone has some pics to share?
post #5583 of 5994 Old 11-10-2016, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons023 View Post
I bought Phil-BMR's last year around this time. I have been enjoying those very well. Those speakers are something special. I was so impressed with those...I placed an order for Philharmonics Slims for my Home theater build in my basement thsi week.

I haven't seen any pics of those Slims around here. Does anyone has some pics to share?
look at page 163 of this thread. looking forward to hearing your impressions of them in a music/ht application - and seeing more pics!

post #5584 of 5994 Old 11-10-2016, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
look at page 163 of this thread. looking forward to hearing your impressions of them in a music/ht application - and seeing more pics!
I have seen that pic...it's been a while. Forgot about that. Mine won't be arriving anytime soon.
post #5585 of 5994 Old 11-10-2016, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons023 View Post

Are there any benefits of the Slims over the BMR? Seems like the BMR goes deeper.
post #5586 of 5994 Old 11-10-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldark View Post
Are there any benefits of the Slims over the BMR? Seems like the BMR goes deeper.
Most people would consider the Slims more attractive. And they have an open-back midrange, which the BMR doesn't. So you can have more control over the sound stage by using varying amounts of fill in the midrange chamber, or sealing the back entirely. The bass qualities are a little different. The Slims uses a folded transmission line, while the BMR uses a conventional bass reflex tuning. Both speakers have approximately the same F3 in the lower 30's, but the larger driver in the BMR's has a little more power handling. Some might prefer the quality of the Slims' bass reproduction because of the TL, although it's not a big deal. The Seas woofer just takes to a TL loading very well, and we could get deeper response that way. The midrange is kind of a wash. the larger titanium unit in the Slims doesn't have the super wide dispersion of the BMR driver, but the open back pretty much makes up for that.
post #5587 of 5994 Old 11-18-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 27
silly question but any black friday deals for the new affordable speakers? i assume if parts express has a black friday sale maybe this could happen.
post #5588 of 5994 Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
silly question but any black friday deals for the new affordable speakers? i assume if parts express has a black friday sale maybe this could happen.
Nah, he's not into that. He doesn't make any money anyway. But e-mail him because he may have some slightly scratched or otherwise imperfect speakers lying around. I got a deal on a test model.
post #5589 of 5994 Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
They are already an outstanding value and at very little margin. How about a reverse deal where you offer more? Just kidding of course.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #5590 of 5994 Old 11-18-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Every day is Black Friday at Philharmonic Audio.
post #5591 of 5994 Old 11-18-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 27
hehehe you guys are funny. well ive been eyeing them for my computer and wont be using a subwoofer so these seem perfect for that.
ahblaza likes this.
post #5592 of 5994 Old 11-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I really want to hear RAAL's, but up here in Canada it doesn't look possible. Since Washington is closer to me than California, I might have to take a detour if I'm on my way down south towards a winter getaway. I'd love to compare my Bryston Mini T's to the BMR's. So far after hearing many speakers, the closest competition I've liked next to mine have been the $6,000 Dali Epicon 2's, double the price of mine. So the BMR's would have some tough competition. The biggest downside to the Mini T's would be the actual sensitivity of about 82.5 dB. I find it odd that Bryston made such amazing speakers for the money, because their amps are very expensive and I doubt I'll ever own one.

Last edited by Williams2; 11-18-2016 at 08:44 PM.
post #5593 of 5994 Old 11-18-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
I really want to hear RAAL's, but up here in Canada it doesn't look possible. Since Washington is closer to me than California, I might have to take a detour if I'm on my way down south towards a winter getaway. I'd love to compare my Bryston Mini T's to the BMR's. So far after hearing many speakers, the closest competition I've liked next to mine have been the $6,000 Dali Epicon 2's, double the price of mine. So the BMR's would have some tough competition. The biggest downside to the Mini T's would be the actual sensitivity of about 82.5 dB. I find it odd that Bryston made such amazing speakers for the money, because their amps are very expensive and I doubt I'll ever own one.
I'm not too worried about the Mini T's, but I am a little worried about which Washington you have in mind. We're talking Washington, D.C., right?
post #5594 of 5994 Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'm not too worried about the Mini T's, but I am a little worried about which Washington you have in mind. We're talking Washington, D.C., right?
Yes Washington, D.C., I'd have to double check the distances but I think Washington is about 16 hours drive. It was about 21 hours to Orlando last year.
post #5595 of 5994 Old 11-19-2016, 07:29 AM

From the specs on the website the BMR's have similarities to the Mini T's, roughly the same size, weight, frequency response. It looks like the frequency drops a couple dB's in the 1-4khz range like the Mini T's, hopefully that's enough for my sensitive ears. If Bryston can make non-fatiguing tweeters of titanium, I'm guessing the RAAL's would've been an easier task? I wouldn't be coming for a year or 2 on my way to South Carolina or to Florida. I assume you have a demo area Dennis?

Last edited by Williams2; 11-19-2016 at 07:36 AM.
post #5596 of 5994 Old 11-19-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
From the specs on the website the BMR's have similarities to the Mini T's, roughly the same size, weight, frequency response. It looks like the frequency drops a couple dB's in the 1-4khz range like the Mini T's, hopefully that's enough for my sensitive ears. If Bryston can make non-fatiguing tweeters of titanium, I'm guessing the RAAL's would've been an easier task? I wouldn't be coming for a year or 2 on my way to South Carolina or to Florida. I assume you have a demo area Dennis?
Yes--I have an excellent listening area just behind the Golden Retriever. 3rd party measurements (Sound and Vision) of the mini T show a fairly deep trough in the 1k - 3k region, but the tweeter is actually elevated by 2-3 dB. So what you like about the sound is probably due to the midrange voicing rather than the tweeter. The BMR's tweeter response is flat, and the midrange voicing is only slightly down--and that's done to adjust for the extremely broad dispersion of the small midrange driver. I couldn't say how all that would come out in the wash for you, but if you want to take a 5-minute detour off of Beltway on your way down, the doors are open.
post #5597 of 5994 Old 11-19-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yes--I have an excellent listening area just behind the Golden Retriever. 3rd party measurements (Sound and Vision) of the mini T show a fairly deep trough in the 1k - 3k region, but the tweeter is actually elevated by 2-3 dB. So what you like about the sound is probably due to the midrange voicing rather than the tweeter. The BMR's tweeter response is flat, and the midrange voicing is only slightly down--and that's done to adjust for the extremely broad dispersion of the small midrange driver. I couldn't say how all that would come out in the wash for you, but if you want to take a 5-minute detour off of Beltway on your way down, the doors are open.
I've heard that golden retrievers are great for sound absorption, good choice. Can't wait to hear the speakers, thanks Dennis.

Last edited by Williams2; 11-19-2016 at 11:14 AM.
post #5598 of 5994 Old 11-20-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Dennis, he wants to hear the RAALs in all their glory...be sure to give him a little taste of the Phil 3's!!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #5599 of 5994 Old 11-21-2016, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Dennis, he wants to hear the RAALs in all their glory...be sure to give him a little taste of the Phil 3's!!
I'd like to hear a few different speakers there for sure, but I've realized that large bookshelf speakers are my thing for music, and still use a sub for a small amount of low fill. Depending on how much I'm allowed to declare at the border after a week in the states, it's possible I'd be bringing back some AA's as well. Or if I really like the Philharmonitors, possibly 3 of those for my 3.1 movie system.

Last edited by Williams2; 11-21-2016 at 11:28 AM.
post #5600 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I had an audio revelation.

Background:

In my audiophile life line, I've managed to own multiple products - Onix Rockets, Polk LSi's, Paradigm Studio 20s, Sennheiser headphones of all shapes and sizes, and recently Fidelio X2s. I've also auditioned speakers since I was 12 years old. I spent my weekends as a kid inside Tweeters (RIP), Circuit City's, and high end dealerships to try and understand and appreciate a hobby that was almost always out of my price range - with oil and matchsticks ready to burn a hole in any sensible man's pockets.

So, in the year 2016, I had to unfortunately let go of my most of my rig and I had to start over from scratch. A very close audiophile friend, told me that the world had changed since AV123 was still in business and the barrier to entry to audiophile performance was lower than ever.

Enter the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitors.

Listening:

I set the two speakers up connected to a used receiver from 10 years ago (Panasonic SA-XR55). Despite my friend's claims- I was not expecting much. These speakers are around 200/pair sans shipping and honestly, I was just looking for a decent bedroom / PC work station near field set that was "functional". What I got, however, was a lecture in how the economies of scale in the audiophile world have changed dramatically. This isn't the year 2004 any more.

Pros:
The first track I played was a very familiar track from Norah Jone's fan favorite Come Away With Me - "Don't Know Why". Norah's vocals came in dead center, while the blank space and instrument seperation were eerily accurate. The most shocking of all was the soundstage. The width was literally blowing any thing I'd ever owned away. And than it hit me: the bass. I could have honestly sworn I owned a phantom subwoofer. The bass that comes out of these speakers are truly remarkable.

Sufjan Steven's Illinoise is a marriage between Lo-Fi and Hi-Fi. One of the most challenging songs for any speaker is the track - "Come on Feel the Illinoise!". The AA's did a terrific job with instrument seperation. The track itself is layered with multiple vocals, an entire orchestra, and odd ball mixing to make most speakers fall over themselves. The best thing about the entire song is how individuals instruments are barely audible in a sea of sound, but the AA's do a fantastic job of layering the instruments.

The last song I'll talk about is The Beatle's - "Come Together" - Lesser speakers have a hard time with imaging on this track. If there is one thing these speakers kept reiterating is how confident they were imagine and sonic seperation. Vocalization and drumming were kept into their own three dimensional spaces and the depth behind each instrument was a riveting experience.

TLDR;

Pros:
+ Soundstage, imaging, and seperation is uncanny. Layers upon layers upon layers with incredible precision.
+ Bass is very deep for a speaker of this size and price. At points I had to actually question if it was even worth getting a subwoofer in my current living situation. I can swear they get into the high 30s.
+ They can play loud and sound awesome with crap gear.
+ The price / performance ratio is unmatched.

Cons:
- The midrange "thump" is lacking. While the bass has extension, the actual dramatic whomp from an attack and decay could be more powerful and tactful.
- The soundstage while wide, could be a bit more "vertical". Obviously listening position / room acoustics have a lot to do with this one.

+/- Preference! These speakers are inherently warm, I won't say veiled, but the flavor represented here is the exact opposite of what you would find in a Klipsch speaker or an Onix Reference model.
ahblaza, Knucklehead90 and abd1 like this.
post #5601 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your reactions to the AA monitors. Just a word about the woofer response. The monitors are tuned for maximum extension into the bass, using an "Extended Bass Shelf" tuning alignment that works particularly well with the low Qts Parts Express woofer. Speakers with this alignment trade off some Whump in the midbass for greater power handling and extension down low. It's one of the many compromises you face in speaker design.
ahblaza likes this.
post #5602 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Dennis- not to change the subject, but a couple questions about the RAAL you have the some of your speakers versus the folded ribbons or pleated ribbons that some other speaker designers use. What would be the difference you would expects between those folded ribbons versus a RAAL- sensitivity, detail, better high end, etc?
Also, I an wondering how that golden retreiver device you have might affect the performance of the RAAL in your listening room? My border collie device doesn't seem to improve my SQ of your Phil-BMR at all!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5603 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Dennis- not to change the subject, but a couple questions about the RAAL you have the some of your speakers versus the folded ribbons or pleated ribbons that some other speaker designers use. What would be the difference you would expects between those folded ribbons versus a RAAL- sensitivity, detail, better high end, etc?
Also, I an wondering how that golden retreiver device you have might affect the performance of the RAAL in your listening room? My border collie device doesn't seem to improve my SQ of your Phil-BMR at all!
The pleated or folded "ribbons" aren't really ribbons, since they rely on an etched voice coil, while a ribbon has none. The pleats on these AMT designs squeeze together to produce high frequencies. Each approach has its proponents. I've tried a number of the smaller AMT devices and haven't had any luck with them. The frequency response was ragged and the sound to my ears was more pinched than open. They aren't terribly expensive and I would use them if I liked them. Of course, I haven't tried them all and don't know which specific models companies are using.
smurraybhm likes this.
post #5604 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Phill,

Are you still waiting for the Phillarmonitor .50 cabinets?, any ETA?

Thanks.
post #5605 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
Hi Phill,

Are you still waiting for the Phillarmonitor .50 cabinets?, any ETA?

Thanks.
The latest ETA was the end of December.
post #5606 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys, first would like to say I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread and found out about Dennis's philharmonic line. I was in the market for a budget 2.1 setup and went with AA's, and couldn't have been more pleased. I had a question about my crossover settings with my sub. I am running the AA's with an yamaha av receiver and a dayton sub-1000. I have the speakers set to small. I know these have great extension and first thought I had them at 60 but read somewhere that setting it higher might make things sound better because the AA's could concentrate on the mids and highs. Should I have the crossover set at 60 or 80hz? My listening content is evenly split between movies and music (pretty wide variety). Sorry for the newbie question.
post #5607 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkagan View Post
Hey guys, first would like to say I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread and found out about Dennis's philharmonic line. I was in the market for a budget 2.1 setup and went with AA's, and couldn't have been more pleased. I had a question about my crossover settings with my sub. I am running the AA's with an yamaha av receiver and a dayton sub-1000. I have the speakers set to small. I know these have great extension and first thought I had them at 60 but read somewhere that setting it higher might make things sound better because the AA's could concentrate on the mids and highs. Should I have the crossover set at 60 or 80hz? My listening content is evenly split between movies and music (pretty wide variety). Sorry for the newbie question.
Other opinions are welcome, but I would cross at 60 Hz. The woofers won't break a sweat at that frequency assuming your receiver is rolling them off and not running them flat.
mtkagan likes this.
post #5608 of 5994 Old 11-22-2016, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebabyparrot View Post
I had an audio revelation.

Enter the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitors.

Listening:
Despite my friend's claims- I was not expecting much. These speakers are around 200/pair sans shipping and honestly, I was just looking for a decent bedroom / PC work station near field set that was "functional".
Klipsch speaker or an Onix Reference model.
This was my own experience as well. I wasn't expecting much - I just wanted something with a decent low end to replace an otherwise outstanding bookshelf speaker in it's own right - Emotiva ERM-1's and a DIY 12" sealed sub. Dennis reassured me these would play down to 42hz pretty decently. They do - and I suspect - lower.

The only rub with the ERM-1's is they were designed with HT in mind so they only play down to 80hz and even that claim is stretching it a tad. I've had Audyssey and YPAO set them to 90hz on three different AVR's. I've owned them for 6-7 years now and hated to replace them but a 12" subwoofer in the bedroom doesn't work very well. So I get to thinking I'd sell them when it dawned on me that - hmm - this could be the start of that vinyl listening room I've planned on (I'm a card-carrying procrastinator - well I would be if I ever bothered to join that club!) for more than a few years. So here come the Nikko today and the 'new' vinyl audio room is up and running. Mild room treatment is coming... Everything sounds so damned good - the ERM-1's have that mid bass authority that is awesome. I can't believe this old Nikko sounds so good. So I decide to try the Philharmonic monitors - big mistake! Long story short the ERM-1s & sub are back in the bedroom.

My amp is a Nikko NA-690 integrated that I bought over at Audio Karma - got it just today!!! This thing has an excellent phono section. As good as I've heard in many years and I've owned a few. TT is a Marantz TT42 - nothing fancy but it sounds pretty good. I've got an unopened new Music Hall 2.2 but I think my son is getting that for xmas.

Speakers aren't the only area of audio that is better than ever, and less expensive in the process. But I have to say that nothing has benefited audio quality more than the wide array of speakers available to anyone looking for more. I've had some real turds in my many years in this hobby. How is it the Japanese made such good audio components but couldn't make a decent speaker? Many of those companies are long gone - and thats a good thing IMO! The ones left are building better speakers - finally. Turntables - electronics - it's all been for the better - and less expensive.

I remember buying a brand new Kenwood KR-6200 receiver in 1974 for $329 - it was on sale! MSRP was $429 IIRC. That's like (just guessing) around $3000 in today's money! IIRC my hourly wage was $2.90 or almost 2 weeks pay! A lot of thought went into buying that Kenwood. 45wpc! Solid state! Reliability! I happily sold the 7-8 year old Sansui 500A tube (19 of em and all of 18wpc) I had bought in 66' at the Naval Exchange in Japan - cost was $180 and NO taxes. DVD players that sound as good or better than the best CDP's of 20 years ago and for much less are common. I'm wondering about that Onkyo stereo 8050 receiver in the bedroom - will it be around as long as this Nikko has been? Doubtful but you never know. I know I won't be around to know!

When I decided to find a replacement for the ERM-1's & sub I started reading a few speaker threads and came across this Philharmonic Audio thread. Since Dennis was the designer for the Song Towers - which I'm listening to ATM (Cowboy Junkies & LeAnn Rimes coming up) buying a pair from Dennis seemed a no-brainer. Turns out it was a better idea than I had imagined. I just got done with a vinyl listening session. I played Jefferson Starship Airship - whatever ship... It's one of my better sounding LP's and wow does it ever sound good. The difference in sound quality between the AA Monitors and the Song Towers might be a scant 5%. Seriously! These are quite the speaker for the price. If I ever get desperate and need to sell off audio gear at least I'll know where to find something affordable. Five of these would make for a great sounding surround setup. With a sub or two of course.

There isn't any weakness to these speakers that I can tell. They play the audio spectrum I can hear (I'm 69) quite well. Maybe this old Nikko amp (~1980) has some magic? Or a well thought out speaker? Maybe the combination both?

Dennis - I'd love to see you take these to an audio show - set them up and put 4x the current price and see how many takers you'd get.

Seriously - if you're looking for an inexpensive and decent sounding speaker give Dennis a call. These are silly-good for the price!

Yamaha CX-A5000 - ST-120 Tube Amp & Outlaw 7075 - Salk Song Towers - Custom Selah Audio Center - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42

Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5609 of 5994 Old 11-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I am the proud owner of a new pair of "Philharmonic 3" Speakers, and a "Philharmonic Slims Sr. WMTW Center Channel, front ported, with an upgraded RAAL 70-10 Tweeter". I think I have had them hooked up for about a week now.

Cabinets, of course, by Jim Salk, and the "magic" by Dennis Murphy!

First of all, they physically look amazing! As soon as I get everything organized, I will take a picture and post, but I guarantee you that they are the best looking furniture in my living room!

And now, for the sound! Of course they sound AMAZING, FANTASTIC, PHENOMENAL, AWESOME (let me google some more adjectives!) but there is a story . . .

Dennis sends a "test CD" with the speakers, to test them out, and show off their amazing qualities.

I can't speak for everyone, but I would think that a lot of "Phil 3" customers already own a pretty decent L & R speaker setup.

Well, to be fair, I wanted to hear the "before" and "after", so I played the CD with my current speakers (Axiom Audio M80's that I bought 2003-2004 or so). OK, so I was anxious, so I only listened to the first 5 tracks on the CD, then I stopped, because I wanted to hook up my new Phil 3's.

"Holy cow, I forgot how good my M80's sounded", I thought. "Did I just make a mistake by buying these speakers?" I was more than a little worried, as I saved up for this purchase, but still, it was a big "chunk of change" for me to spend, especially if there was no improvement in sound.

I anxiously hooked up my new Phil 3's, and played the CD again.

As I listened, I started to smile, and was VERY HAPPY! This was the best decision ever, to get the Phil 3's!

I have nothing bad to say at all about my M80's. They were my main speakers for 15 years or so, and could have lived with them for the rest of my life (actually, I will live with them for the rest of my life, as I can't bear to part with them!)

However, the clarity, the detail, the soundstage were just AMAZING with the Phil 3's. There was one track, that gave me such an incredible "center stage" feeling, that I had to get up and re-confirm that I was indeed listening in "Two channel stereo", as I thought my new center channel was "showing off". The center channel WAS turned off! That "3 dimensional" soundstage was coming solely from my two Phil 3's. While the same track sounded very good on my M80's, I did not experience that "3 dimensional" experience that my Phil 3's gave me.

As a former Timpanist from High School and College (1977-1982), I really enjoyed "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copland (included on Dennis Murphy's test CD). It sounded great on my M80's. BUT, it sounded so incredible on my Phil 3's.

I am trying not to go overboard on analogies and adjectives, but here is how I felt when listing to "Fanfare", before and after.
When I listed to Fanfare "before", I was a little scared. "Damn, that sounded good, how is it going to sound any better?" I was worried, that I already owned something that sounded as good as the Phil 3's.

When I listed to the same Fanfare with the "Phil 3's". I was astounded. I had to stop playing the CD. I just sat there in silence. I was absolutely amazed, almost shocked (not joking). It sounded VERY GOOD with the "before" speakers, but the intricacy, the detail, the "stuff that makes a live musical experience", well, "an experience", were present in the "Phil 3's". It was "Phenomenal Subtlety", if I can coin a phrase. (I am going to have to "borrow" some adjectives from my December allotment of adjectives!)

In my case, the sound improvement was not so much "night and day", but the ability to hear the detail, and clarity, the subtle details that one might hear in a live performance.

And the "detail and clarity" exists at all frequencies, the Timpani did not sound boxy or "boom-y" or "phony" on the M80's at all, I was very happy with the sound (a reason for being worried), but they sounded so clear on the "Phil 3's". The M80's sounded very good, no complaints at all, but the Phil 3's sounded like you "were there".

Again, it was that "Phenomenal Subtlety".

As I use my system for both "home theater" and 2 channel music, I noticed an unexpected benefit, even with "just" 3 new speakers, and that was "clarity at lower volume levels". (Dennis is in the final stages of sending me 4 more speakers!!!)

I would not have classified my other speakers as "harsh" by any means, but my three new speakers gave me a "smoother, yet clearer" listening experience, even at lower volume levels.

I would also like to note, that NOTHING else was changed or modified in my system. I upgraded my 15 year old receiver to a amp and pre-amp, in anticipation of my new speakers 4 months ago, I also changed out all my cables, but again, that was 4+ months ago, so I had 4 months of listening to my "old" speakers on my new system, so when I installed my Phil 3's, everything else stayed exactly the same.

As a relatively poor college student, still living at home, in the 1980's, I used to "worship" the glorious B&W 801's in my local high end audio store. I must have annoyed the heck out of the two guys that worked there. I forget how much they were back then, but they might as well have been a "gazillion" dollars, as they were way, way, way out of my league. (AND you needed the electronics, and they would not have fit in my 8x10 bedroom!) But I loved the sound. As I got older, the various "state of the art" speakers got more expensive, and one day, I realized that I would never be able to afford, or justify buying such expensive speakers.

My Phil 3's are my "final" set speakers that I will ever purchase for my main L&R speakers. (OH wait, what happens when Dennis comes out with the "Phil 4's????? - My brain just blew up! <grin!>)

Dennis gave me something that I never thought I would be able to obtain in my "real" life (that is my life without winning the 300 million dollar powerball lottery!), "a state of the art", speaker system! Dare I say, "beyond state of the art".

Thank you Dennis!

(I will have to do a recording on YouTube with my phone, so everyone can hear how good they sound!!)
uncola, Mudslide, ahblaza and 3 others like this.
post #5610 of 5994 Old 11-26-2016, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
I am the proud owner of a new pair of "Philharmonic 3" Speakers…
Congrats on your new speakers. Phil 3s are among the best I've ever heard. Enjoy them. I certainly enjoyed reading about your first experience with them .

Put those M80s away for a good month or more while you listen to the Philharmonics and re-familiarize yourself with your music collection. One day, when you have time to spend, drag out those old speakers and listen again. You might be surprised at what you had once thought was so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page