Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 403Likes

post #5611 of 5620 Old 11-26-2016, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
buddtx great post.. how about some pics? My new philharmonitors are my last 2 channel speakers.. until I move to a larger space in the far future. then I would love some phil 3 or whatever the new version is in 2025, provided the robot overlords allow me that is

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5620 Old 11-26-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 782
For music...there is nothing better than the RAAL tweeter! Well, maybe there is, but for many dollars.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #5613 of 5620 Old 11-26-2016, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
Put those M80s away for a good month or more while you listen to the Philharmonics and re-familiarize yourself with your music collection. One day, when you have time to spend, drag out those old speakers and listen again. You might be surprised at what you had once thought was so good.

Good idea! When I have time, I will do that!

For now, my M80's are going to assume "back surround" speakers, As I have the room, and my Yamaha CX-A5100 has outputs for 11 speakers.

My 35+ year old Polk 5jr+ speakers are going to assume the role of "rear presence". It is amazing how well my 35 year old Polk speakers sound. Just FYI, the Polks were made "back in the day" when Polk was a relatively esoteric high end speaker, made by Matthew Polk. I bought those speakers for my parents, back in the 80's. When I bought my house in 1993, I tried to buy another pair of Polk's, but the ones in my price range did not sound good, unlike the 5jr+. My "guess" is that Polk discovered selling more expensive speakers, and did not want to compete with themselves, so their cheaper speakers, sounded, well, cheap.

A few years ago, when the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers came out, I went crazy buying them, when they were on sale (I got some good deals! - I paid 49.99 each for the 1st gen center channel!) I was comparing all the different AJ Pioneers, and discovered that, "of my collection", the 1st gen center channel sounded best, then for fun, I hooked up the old Polks. WOW! I could not believe the sound. I would have taken better care of them over the years, had I realized they sounded that good!

After I recover from my "ultimate upgrade", I would like to get 4 more "Philharmonitor" speakers.
post #5614 of 5620 Old 11-28-2016, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@Dennis , I just went to your website recommending a friend to buy your AA's. The new pictures of the speakers and new addition (Center Channel) looks very good. Just curious to know what is the premium finish on those Walnut Veneer slims and center? They are looking gorgeous.

Thanks
Harish
post #5615 of 5620 Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons023 View Post
@Dennis , I just went to your website recommending a friend to buy your AA's. The new pictures of the speakers and new addition (Center Channel) looks very good. Just curious to know what is the premium finish on those Walnut Veneer slims and center? They are looking gorgeous.

Thanks
Harish
Glad you like the new pics. The veneer is standard curly walnut with a standard dye (all dyes are no-charge items). The finish on them is the furniture-grade multi-stage process rather than the simpler composite varnish that is used on the base Slims and other Philharmonic speakers that Jim builds.
post #5616 of 5620 Old 11-28-2016, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Glad you like the new pics. The veneer is standard curly walnut with a standard dye (all dyes are no-charge items). The finish on them is the furniture-grade multi-stage process rather than the simpler composite varnish that is used on the base Slims and other Philharmonic speakers that Jim builds.
I really liked that furniture grade finish. Is it extra to get compared to regular finish?
post #5617 of 5620 Old 11-28-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons023 View Post
I really liked that furniture grade finish. Is it extra to get compared to regular finish?
I'm afraid so. There's lots of labor involved. It's $200 extra for the bookshelf speakers and $300 for the towers.
post #5618 of 5620 Old 11-28-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'm afraid so. There's lots of labor involved. It's $200 extra for the bookshelf speakers and $300 for the towers.
that's a bargain for the quality you get.
post #5619 of 5620 Old 11-29-2016, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This thread, has me more or less sold on trying one of Mr. Murphy's creations (or even the NAAMs) for my office 2.0/2.1 listening.

The BMR's seem like the thing. But the office is a bit small. 9.5 x 14. Maybe BMR is not a good fit for the room? Perhaps the 2 way Philharmonitor...

The recent praise for the NAAMs, even though it does not have that RAAL that I'm so intrigued by, has me thinking it's a no brainer to buy anyway at the price, with an eye on one of the RAAL pairs in some pretty boxes a little bit later.

The question is then, do I keep these little ML motion 15 to play with elsewhere...as they have some redeeming qualities. But would be completely redundant and outclassed I'm sure.

My wife is already starting to get a maniacal edge to her chuckles when she sees yet more speakers entering the house.
post #5620 of 5620 Old Today, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ok, I couldn't resist inquiring about the NAAM. Dennis apparently sits inside of his email, because he responded immediately.

Needless to say, I've placed the order

I'm excited to receive them. I have been trying different speakers in our home office, and nothing really satisfies. I do like our SVS Ultra bookshelf in the office, but those are setup as surround in our living room, and I don't want to change that. I prefer the SVS Ultra setup for movies anyway. Office is music only.

What I really want in the office is to try the Philharmonitors or the BMR, will likely place that order in a few months or so.

Meanwhile, the price of the NAAM is irresistible, especially considering the glowing reviews. I am trying to keep my expectations realistic. I have the ML Motion 15 in the office now, and I really like the AMT, which makes me think I will really like the RAAL in the Philharmonitor / BMR. That will have to wait. The ML, while they are quite nice, often leave me with a feeling that something is missing. It will be interesting to compare the NAAM with the ML.

Anyway, thank you Dennis for the prompt response, and for generally being such a nice fellow, to provide what you do at such reasonable prices. I hope to get that order in for a RAAL equipped pair before you come to your senses...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers