Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 407Likes
post #5611 of 5629 Unread 11-26-2016, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
buddtx great post.. how about some pics? My new philharmonitors are my last 2 channel speakers.. until I move to a larger space in the far future. then I would love some phil 3 or whatever the new version is in 2025, provided the robot overlords allow me that is

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5629 Unread 11-26-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 788
For music...there is nothing better than the RAAL tweeter! Well, maybe there is, but for many dollars.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #5613 of 5629 Unread 11-26-2016, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
Put those M80s away for a good month or more while you listen to the Philharmonics and re-familiarize yourself with your music collection. One day, when you have time to spend, drag out those old speakers and listen again. You might be surprised at what you had once thought was so good.

Good idea! When I have time, I will do that!

For now, my M80's are going to assume "back surround" speakers, As I have the room, and my Yamaha CX-A5100 has outputs for 11 speakers.

My 35+ year old Polk 5jr+ speakers are going to assume the role of "rear presence". It is amazing how well my 35 year old Polk speakers sound. Just FYI, the Polks were made "back in the day" when Polk was a relatively esoteric high end speaker, made by Matthew Polk. I bought those speakers for my parents, back in the 80's. When I bought my house in 1993, I tried to buy another pair of Polk's, but the ones in my price range did not sound good, unlike the 5jr+. My "guess" is that Polk discovered selling more expensive speakers, and did not want to compete with themselves, so their cheaper speakers, sounded, well, cheap.

A few years ago, when the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers came out, I went crazy buying them, when they were on sale (I got some good deals! - I paid 49.99 each for the 1st gen center channel!) I was comparing all the different AJ Pioneers, and discovered that, "of my collection", the 1st gen center channel sounded best, then for fun, I hooked up the old Polks. WOW! I could not believe the sound. I would have taken better care of them over the years, had I realized they sounded that good!

After I recover from my "ultimate upgrade", I would like to get 4 more "Philharmonitor" speakers.
post #5614 of 5629 Unread 11-28-2016, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
@Dennis , I just went to your website recommending a friend to buy your AA's. The new pictures of the speakers and new addition (Center Channel) looks very good. Just curious to know what is the premium finish on those Walnut Veneer slims and center? They are looking gorgeous.

Thanks
Harish
post #5615 of 5629 Unread 11-28-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons023 View Post
@Dennis , I just went to your website recommending a friend to buy your AA's. The new pictures of the speakers and new addition (Center Channel) looks very good. Just curious to know what is the premium finish on those Walnut Veneer slims and center? They are looking gorgeous.

Thanks
Harish
Glad you like the new pics. The veneer is standard curly walnut with a standard dye (all dyes are no-charge items). The finish on them is the furniture-grade multi-stage process rather than the simpler composite varnish that is used on the base Slims and other Philharmonic speakers that Jim builds.
post #5616 of 5629 Unread 11-28-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Glad you like the new pics. The veneer is standard curly walnut with a standard dye (all dyes are no-charge items). The finish on them is the furniture-grade multi-stage process rather than the simpler composite varnish that is used on the base Slims and other Philharmonic speakers that Jim builds.
I really liked that furniture grade finish. Is it extra to get compared to regular finish?
post #5617 of 5629 Unread 11-28-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons023 View Post
I really liked that furniture grade finish. Is it extra to get compared to regular finish?
I'm afraid so. There's lots of labor involved. It's $200 extra for the bookshelf speakers and $300 for the towers.
post #5618 of 5629 Unread 11-28-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I'm afraid so. There's lots of labor involved. It's $200 extra for the bookshelf speakers and $300 for the towers.
that's a bargain for the quality you get.
post #5619 of 5629 Unread 11-29-2016, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This thread, has me more or less sold on trying one of Mr. Murphy's creations (or even the NAAMs) for my office 2.0/2.1 listening.

The BMR's seem like the thing. But the office is a bit small. 9.5 x 14. Maybe BMR is not a good fit for the room? Perhaps the 2 way Philharmonitor...

The recent praise for the NAAMs, even though it does not have that RAAL that I'm so intrigued by, has me thinking it's a no brainer to buy anyway at the price, with an eye on one of the RAAL pairs in some pretty boxes a little bit later.

The question is then, do I keep these little ML motion 15 to play with elsewhere...as they have some redeeming qualities. But would be completely redundant and outclassed I'm sure.

My wife is already starting to get a maniacal edge to her chuckles when she sees yet more speakers entering the house.
post #5620 of 5629 Unread 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ok, I couldn't resist inquiring about the NAAM. Dennis apparently sits inside of his email, because he responded immediately.

Needless to say, I've placed the order

I'm excited to receive them. I have been trying different speakers in our home office, and nothing really satisfies. I do like our SVS Ultra bookshelf in the office, but those are setup as surround in our living room, and I don't want to change that. I prefer the SVS Ultra setup for movies anyway. Office is music only.

What I really want in the office is to try the Philharmonitors or the BMR, will likely place that order in a few months or so.

Meanwhile, the price of the NAAM is irresistible, especially considering the glowing reviews. I am trying to keep my expectations realistic. I have the ML Motion 15 in the office now, and I really like the AMT, which makes me think I will really like the RAAL in the Philharmonitor / BMR. That will have to wait. The ML, while they are quite nice, often leave me with a feeling that something is missing. It will be interesting to compare the NAAM with the ML.

Anyway, thank you Dennis for the prompt response, and for generally being such a nice fellow, to provide what you do at such reasonable prices. I hope to get that order in for a RAAL equipped pair before you come to your senses...
post #5621 of 5629 Unread 12-02-2016, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
I am the proud owner of a new pair of "Philharmonic 3" Speakers, and a "Philharmonic Slims Sr. WMTW Center Channel, front ported, with an upgraded RAAL 70-10 Tweeter". I think I have had them hooked up for about a week now.

Cabinets, of course, by Jim Salk, and the "magic" by Dennis Murphy!

First of all, they physically look amazing! As soon as I get everything organized, I will take a picture and post, but I guarantee you that they are the best looking furniture in my living room!

And now, for the sound! Of course they sound AMAZING, FANTASTIC, PHENOMENAL, AWESOME (let me google some more adjectives!) but there is a story . . .

Dennis sends a "test CD" with the speakers, to test them out, and show off their amazing qualities.

I can't speak for everyone, but I would think that a lot of "Phil 3" customers already own a pretty decent L & R speaker setup.

Well, to be fair, I wanted to hear the "before" and "after", so I played the CD with my current speakers (Axiom Audio M80's that I bought 2003-2004 or so). OK, so I was anxious, so I only listened to the first 5 tracks on the CD, then I stopped, because I wanted to hook up my new Phil 3's.

"Holy cow, I forgot how good my M80's sounded", I thought. "Did I just make a mistake by buying these speakers?" I was more than a little worried, as I saved up for this purchase, but still, it was a big "chunk of change" for me to spend, especially if there was no improvement in sound.

I anxiously hooked up my new Phil 3's, and played the CD again.

As I listened, I started to smile, and was VERY HAPPY! This was the best decision ever, to get the Phil 3's!

I have nothing bad to say at all about my M80's. They were my main speakers for 15 years or so, and could have lived with them for the rest of my life (actually, I will live with them for the rest of my life, as I can't bear to part with them!)

However, the clarity, the detail, the soundstage were just AMAZING with the Phil 3's. There was one track, that gave me such an incredible "center stage" feeling, that I had to get up and re-confirm that I was indeed listening in "Two channel stereo", as I thought my new center channel was "showing off". The center channel WAS turned off! That "3 dimensional" soundstage was coming solely from my two Phil 3's. While the same track sounded very good on my M80's, I did not experience that "3 dimensional" experience that my Phil 3's gave me.

As a former Timpanist from High School and College (1977-1982), I really enjoyed "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copland (included on Dennis Murphy's test CD). It sounded great on my M80's. BUT, it sounded so incredible on my Phil 3's.

I am trying not to go overboard on analogies and adjectives, but here is how I felt when listing to "Fanfare", before and after.
When I listed to Fanfare "before", I was a little scared. "Damn, that sounded good, how is it going to sound any better?" I was worried, that I already owned something that sounded as good as the Phil 3's.

When I listed to the same Fanfare with the "Phil 3's". I was astounded. I had to stop playing the CD. I just sat there in silence. I was absolutely amazed, almost shocked (not joking). It sounded VERY GOOD with the "before" speakers, but the intricacy, the detail, the "stuff that makes a live musical experience", well, "an experience", were present in the "Phil 3's". It was "Phenomenal Subtlety", if I can coin a phrase. (I am going to have to "borrow" some adjectives from my December allotment of adjectives!)

In my case, the sound improvement was not so much "night and day", but the ability to hear the detail, and clarity, the subtle details that one might hear in a live performance.

And the "detail and clarity" exists at all frequencies, the Timpani did not sound boxy or "boom-y" or "phony" on the M80's at all, I was very happy with the sound (a reason for being worried), but they sounded so clear on the "Phil 3's". The M80's sounded very good, no complaints at all, but the Phil 3's sounded like you "were there".

Again, it was that "Phenomenal Subtlety".

As I use my system for both "home theater" and 2 channel music, I noticed an unexpected benefit, even with "just" 3 new speakers, and that was "clarity at lower volume levels". (Dennis is in the final stages of sending me 4 more speakers!!!)

I would not have classified my other speakers as "harsh" by any means, but my three new speakers gave me a "smoother, yet clearer" listening experience, even at lower volume levels.

I would also like to note, that NOTHING else was changed or modified in my system. I upgraded my 15 year old receiver to a amp and pre-amp, in anticipation of my new speakers 4 months ago, I also changed out all my cables, but again, that was 4+ months ago, so I had 4 months of listening to my "old" speakers on my new system, so when I installed my Phil 3's, everything else stayed exactly the same.

As a relatively poor college student, still living at home, in the 1980's, I used to "worship" the glorious B&W 801's in my local high end audio store. I must have annoyed the heck out of the two guys that worked there. I forget how much they were back then, but they might as well have been a "gazillion" dollars, as they were way, way, way out of my league. (AND you needed the electronics, and they would not have fit in my 8x10 bedroom!) But I loved the sound. As I got older, the various "state of the art" speakers got more expensive, and one day, I realized that I would never be able to afford, or justify buying such expensive speakers.

My Phil 3's are my "final" set speakers that I will ever purchase for my main L&R speakers. (OH wait, what happens when Dennis comes out with the "Phil 4's????? - My brain just blew up! <grin!>)

Dennis gave me something that I never thought I would be able to obtain in my "real" life (that is my life without winning the 300 million dollar powerball lottery!), "a state of the art", speaker system! Dare I say, "beyond state of the art".

Thank you Dennis!

(I will have to do a recording on YouTube with my phone, so everyone can hear how good they sound!!)
Wait until you get 400 - 600 hours on your 3's. They will really open up. They sound extraordinary new and get even better as they are played. Enjoy! Cheers. Leslie
post #5622 of 5629 Unread 12-02-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

not ony do you get great sounding speakers with Dennis, but really great value- if you add up the cost of the drivers and cabinets, you quickly realize that Dennis isn't buying a second boat with the profits...or likely not a first one either!
ad5wb likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #5623 of 5629 Unread Yesterday, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
not ony do you get great sounding speakers with Dennis, but really great value- if you add up the cost of the drivers and cabinets, you quickly realize that Dennis isn't buying a second boat with the profits...or likely not a first one either!
Can't agree more. The best bang for your buck...Like Dennis mentioned above, "It's Black Friday...Everyday"
ad5wb likes this.
post #5624 of 5629 Unread Yesterday, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Everyone I've received alerts over the last couple of days that I have new private messages, but I no longer can find any way to access them. I guess something happened when they changed the site format? Anyhow, if you wrote me recently please try again using my regular email: info@philharmonicaudio.com Thanks!
ad5wb likes this.
post #5625 of 5629 Unread Yesterday, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Hi Everyone I've received alerts over the last couple of days that I have new private messages, but I no longer can find any way to access them. I guess something happened when they changed the site format? Anyhow, if you wrote me recently please try again using my regular email: info@philharmonicaudio.com Thanks!
This link will take you to your private messages: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/private.php.

BTW: Thanks for the AAM. They sound great.
ad5wb likes this.

Classifieds:
FS: DIY Sound Group Elusive 1099s - Michigan (HOLIDAY BONUS - Volt 6LX)
FS: NuPrime DAC-9
JTR 215RT/RM - SI HT D2 18" - Volt 10lx - AV7703 - XPA-7 G3 - FP10000Q - 65KS8000 - UBD-K8500 - HTPC/Jriver/MadVR - Chromecast Ultra - XBox One S - Shield TV - Roku Ultra
post #5626 of 5629 Unread Yesterday, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I've been quiet for awhile, but...!!...I just wanted to say that I'm still madly enjoying my Phil 2s. These things aren't going to a win Miss American contest, but they sing like a chorus of angels.

I've owned dozens of speaker brands and seriously auditioned perhaps hundreds more. With the possible exception of Jim Salk's exceptional SoundScape 12s, these are my favorite speakers.

Many, many thanks again, Dennis, for bringing these wonderful audio companions to us.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #5627 of 5629 Unread Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
I've been quiet for awhile, but...!!...I just wanted to say that I'm still madly enjoying my Phil 2s. These things aren't going to a win Miss American contest, but they sing like a chorus of angels.

I've owned dozens of speaker brands and seriously auditioned perhaps hundreds more. With the possible exception of Jim Salk's exceptional SoundScape 12s, these are my favorite speakers.

Many, many thanks again, Dennis, for bringing these wonderful audio companions to us.
Just curious, when you say Phil 2s, which speaker is that?

post #5628 of 5629 Unread Today, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 277
The 2's are an older model with a lower price point then the 3's. "Same" layout just different drivers.
post #5629 of 5629 Unread Today, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
The 2's are an older model with a lower price point then the 3's. "Same" layout just different drivers.
Well, different diver. The mid and tweet were the same. I saved costs by ordering the cabinets from China and substituting an SB Acoustics 8" woofer for the Scan Revelator. If there had been a practical way for me to continue the 2's I would have, but the logistics of sourcing the cabinets were just too difficult. And having 20% of them show up damaged didn't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers