Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 413Likes
post #5641 of 5647 Old 12-06-2016, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 792
I think the RAAL 64-10 is OEM, but yes the RAAL70-10 runs about 300/pair!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 5647 Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I think the RAAL 64-10 is OEM, but yes the RAAL70-10 runs about 300/pair!
Right--there's no way I could use the 70-10 in any speaker that was even close to being affordable. The 64-10 is not nearly as heavy-duty as the 70-10. If crossed within its optimal operating range, and then very carefully, it can provide sound nearly equal to the 70-10. But in a 2-way, it takes very careful design work and a woofer with exceptionally smooth, broadly dispersed sound up to 3 kHz. I haven't found any 6.5" woofers that qualify, so some sacrifice in bass reach is inevitable. Still, the 5" I'm using can provide useful response to 50 Hz in the ported version.
post #5643 of 5647 Old 12-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Is there a minimum listening distance recommended for either the Philharmonitor or the BMR Philharmonitor? Specifically, would one work better (or would both or neither) in a 'sitting on top of a computer desk about 1.5 - 2 feet' from the listener type situation?
post #5644 of 5647 Old 12-07-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Is there a minimum listening distance recommended for either the Philharmonitor or the BMR Philharmonitor? Specifically, would one work better (or would both or neither) in a 'sitting on top of a computer desk about 1.5 - 2 feet' from the listener type situation?
A number of people have used the BMR nearfield on computer desks, but it wasn't designed for that. The 3 drivers won't integrate optimally up close, and the bass could get boomy with a flat surface below the big woofers. The Philharmonitor would be a better choice, or the forthcoming smaller Philharmonitor referenced above.
post #5645 of 5647 Old 12-07-2016, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
'Cause then they wouldn't be affordable. Also, the RAAL can't make it down nearly low enough to mate with the woofer. The woofer's response drops like a cliff at 2 kHz, and the RAAL is only good to 3 kHz at best. I am working on a Quasi-Affordable monitor using a custom version of the RAAL and hope to have that out soon. It will use a very high quality but not super-expensive 5" driver that is very smooth up to 3 kHz and works in either a .38 cut foot ported cabinet or a .25 cu ft sealed cabinet.
Looking forward to seeing/hearing these in the future.
post #5646 of 5647 Unread Today, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm starting to price out a 2.0 music-only living room system and after much research I'm tempted to get a pair of BMR Philharmonitors. I know there are a lot of options out there at this price point, so I'm going based on reviews. They would sit in a 14x20 ft room that actually opens into a kitchen on the long side, and I'd likely mate them with an HSU ULS-15 MK2 sub. As for power, this is where I'm scratching my head a little. I want to go with an integrated amp and the NAD C368 is in my price range, but that's 80 watts per channel and I'm not sure if that's enough for these speakers? That NAD has ****ty bass management so I'd be sending the full frequency band to the speakers and using the cross-over on the sub itself.

What do you guys think? My music is mainly Phish, some trance techno, and a good mix of metal.

Thanks!
post #5647 of 5647 Unread Today, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metal View Post
Hey guys,

I'm starting to price out a 2.0 music-only living room system and after much research I'm tempted to get a pair of BMR Philharmonitors. I know there are a lot of options out there at this price point, so I'm going based on reviews. They would sit in a 14x20 ft room that actually opens into a kitchen on the long side, and I'd likely mate them with an HSU ULS-15 MK2 sub. As for power, this is where I'm scratching my head a little. I want to go with an integrated amp and the NAD C368 is in my price range, but that's 80 watts per channel and I'm not sure if that's enough for these speakers? That NAD has ****ty bass management so I'd be sending the full frequency band to the speakers and using the cross-over on the sub itself.

What do you guys think? My music is mainly Phish, some trance techno, and a good mix of metal.

Thanks!
Mr. Metal, Wyred 4 Sound and Parasound have powerful and inexpensive integrated amps that would be good choices.

Kemper Holt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers