Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 437Likes
post #5701 of 5721 Unread 01-14-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding in regard to the C22, which I commented upon in another thread here.

It's not that the C22 is a bad speaker when compared to the BS22. It's simply that it's a bad center speaker (to some, anyway). Meaning if the BS22 was used as a center, it'd get the same (or more) complaints. I expect the same about the FS52 too.

They are warm, laid back sorts of speakers sound-wise. For HT use that equals somewhat muffled voices/lack of clarity. At least that is my opinion when I owned them... C22 simply was never super clear with voices. BS22 was probably worse.

I also agree with the others suggesting you put the center up for sale on your website. I think you'd get a lot of AJ people interested in it ... right now the main suggestions for them seem to be the $100 horn BIC or if they want to splurge, the ELAC center and hope it might match. At $125, yours would seem to make the most sense... timbre wouldn't match anymore, but we aren't talking about a horn vs warm mismatch.
I'll get the center up on my site today. The stock C22 is actually tipped up in the higher treble. I have to voice that range down. The problem is the coloration introduced by the built-in wave guide in the tweeter baffle. That gives the whole Pioneer line a kind of murky quality that I guess is showing up most on dialogue. The only solution is to switch tweeters.
gajCA likes this.

Last edited by Dennis Murphy; 01-14-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5721 Unread 01-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'll get the center up on my site today. The stock C22 is actually tipped up in the higher treble. I have to voice that range down. The problem is the coloration introduced by the built-in wave guide in the tweeter baffle. That gives the whole Pioneer line a kind of murky quality that I guess is showing up most on dialog. The only solution is to switch tweeters.
I'll try to send some folks your way from deal sites when the AJ speakers are on sale. Folks over there tend to go more for price than anything else, but not a huge difference in price between the stock C22 and yours.

I'll assume the timbre isn't so different from the regular C22 as to cause any issues, unless someone is sort of OCD-ish about timbre? Even if a quite a bit different, I'd think clarity > timbre for a lot of people anyway.

I expect the C22 w/ new tweeter should sound pretty good. I liked it for bass/music, just not dialogue... fix the dialogue issue and it'd seem like it would be a very decent center, especially at that price-range.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 01-14-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #5703 of 5721 Unread 01-14-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I'll try to send some folks your way from deal sites when the AJ speakers are on sale. Folks over there tend to go more for price than anything else, but not a huge difference in price between the stock C22 and yours.

I'll assume the timbre isn't so different from the regular C22 as to cause any issues, unless someone is sort of OCD-ish about timbre? Even if a quite a bit different, I'd think clarity > timbre for a lot of people anyway.

I expect the C22 w/ new tweeter should sound pretty good. I liked it for bass/music, just not dialogue... fix the dialogue issue and it'd seem like it would be a very decent center, especially at that price-range.
Thanks Doe Doe I also reworked the crossover, and that boosts the price. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the Stock BS22's. It's not so much voicing as clarity. The AA center is up on my page now.
post #5704 of 5721 Unread 01-14-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 810
TL;DR

@Dennis Murphy ,
Has there been any update on whether or not you will be taking on the Fluance Signature series speakers?

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #5705 of 5721 Unread 01-14-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
I'll get the center up on my site today. The stock C22 is actually tipped up in the higher treble. I have to voice that range down. The problem is the coloration introduced by the built-in wave guide in the tweeter baffle. That gives the whole Pioneer line a kind of murky quality that I guess is showing up most on dialogue. The only solution is to switch tweeters.
Great.

Can you add a return policy also as those of us recommending your products are asked that question once in a while.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5706 of 5721 Unread 01-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
BMR Philharmonitor vs. New Philharmonitor

Has anyone compared the The BMR Philharmonitor with the "New Philharmonitor"? I can see the specs are different (3 way vs. 2 way, 7" woofer vs. 5.5 woofer, dedicated midrange, etc.) and the there is a $450 price difference...looking for subjective comments too.

How about the BMR vs. the Slims...what does one gain with the Slims?

Thanks.
post #5707 of 5721 Unread 01-14-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Great.

Can you add a return policy also as those of us recommending your products are asked that question once in a while.
I'll have that up shortly on the "order" page. I offer a 2-week trial, with the buyer responsible for shipping charges.
gajCA likes this.
post #5708 of 5721 Unread 01-15-2017, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have a couple of questions about Affordable Monitors:
1) I like the sound of New Affordable Monitors 2 (non-Pioneer) in my main 2.1 setup, in fact enough to get them in my HT (I mostly watch music Blurays). Should or can I plug the rear ports on the New Affordable Monitors 2?
2) Can anyone recommend wall mounts that tilt left/right and up/down that will be able to hold them?
3) Ok to screw mount plates to the back of the speakers?

Thank you!
post #5709 of 5721 Unread 01-15-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
I have a couple of questions about Affordable Monitors:
1) I like the sound of New Affordable Monitors 2 (non-Pioneer) in my main 2.1 setup, in fact enough to get them in my HT (I mostly watch music Blurays). Should or can I plug the rear ports on the New Affordable Monitors 2?
2) Can anyone recommend wall mounts that tilt left/right and up/down that will be able to hold them?
3) Ok to screw mount plates to the back of the speakers?

Thank you!
You can plug the ports, but I think you would be better off using the bass extension of the AA's to cross to the sub(s) at 50 - 60 Hz. Hopefully your bass management system will roll off the AA's so that the woofers aren't overtaxed by nuclear explosions or prehistoric reptiles on a rampage. You can screw into the back of the monitors, assuming that's a permanent arrangement. The screws may well penetrate through the mdf and enter the speaker cavity, so you would have to seal off the holes if you later decide to remove the plates. I don't know much about wall mounts. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear you like the AA's.
post #5710 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Does anyone have any experience with the modded SP-C22 that Murphy does? I'm really interested in this as it would prevent me from changing out other speakers. Would love to hear see feedback...
post #5711 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the modded SP-C22 that Murphy does? I'm really interested in this as it would prevent me from changing out other speakers. Would love to hear see feedback...
See post 5680 on previous page
post #5712 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post
I bought one a few months ago and i couldn't be happier. Sound is incredibly detailed, for HT voices are so clear. Best $125 you will ever spend in the world of audio. I've had people who spent several times what i did on center channels comment on how much better my Dennis Murphy mod sounded than theirs.

Did you have the stock version before hand? Is it a very noticeable difference?
post #5713 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
I must say I'm a bit of a dolt as for the life of me I couldn't find the center on the site till Zorba mentioned you had to click on AA monitor and then scroll down for the center.

Maybe a title change on the main page that says AA Monitor + matching center?

Geoff A. J., California
post #5714 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Did you have the stock version before hand? Is it a very noticeable difference?
No i did not have the original. I had a JBL that i WAS quite happy with. I just felt it was my weakest speaker and wanted to try something made by Dennis Murphy. I emailed Mr Murphy and asked if he had any center channels (none were on his site at the time) and he told me about the C22. I bought one as fast as i could. I plugged it in, and honestly couldn't understand how i liked the JBL. I used his demo CD and kept switching the speakers back and forth (i dont have an A/B switch). There really was no comparison. Since then a friend of mine came by who is into HT he has a $500 Definitive Technology center. I never said a word about my new speaker. He said "WOW, that center sounds great....better than mine. Is that a pioneer?" I told him it was a modified AJ Pioneer and how much it cost. He was pissed. Then a mutual friend brought over his Klipsch center and we did the wire flipping thing. His was a closer comparison than with my JBL but compared to my Dennis Murphy moded C22 the klipsch's is much brighter, far less neutral, and the highs were fatiguing.
On a side note. I was communicating with Mr Murphy just the other day about one of his more expensive speakers. He actually recommended his AA monitor. Can you believe a guy tried to down sell a customer to a speaker less than 1/3 what i was asking about? IMO Mr Murphy isnt concerned with making a buck. He is a guy that loves audio and wants people to have the best sounding speakers HE can afford to get you.
gajCA likes this.
post #5715 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post
No i did not have the original. I had a JBL that i WAS quite happy with. I just felt it was my weakest speaker and wanted to try something made by Dennis Murphy. I emailed Mr Murphy and asked if he had any center channels (none were on his site at the time) and he told me about the C22. I bought one as fast as i could. I plugged it in, and honestly couldn't understand how i liked the JBL. I used his demo CD and kept switching the speakers back and forth (i dont have an A/B switch). There really was no comparison. Since then a friend of mine came by who is into HT he has a $500 Definitive Technology center. I never said a word about my new speaker. He said "WOW, that center sounds great....better than mine. Is that a pioneer?" I told him it was a modified AJ Pioneer and how much it cost. He was pissed. Then a mutual friend brought over his Klipsch center and we did the wire flipping thing. His was a closer comparison than with my JBL but compared to my Dennis Murphy moded C22 the klipsch's is much brighter, far less neutral, and the highs were fatiguing.
On a side note. I was communicating with Mr Murphy just the other day about one of his more expensive speakers. He actually recommended his AA monitor. Can you believe a guy tried to down sell a customer to a speaker less than 1/3 what i was asking about? IMO Mr Murphy isnt concerned with making a buck. He is a guy that loves audio and wants people to have the best sounding speakers HE can afford to get you.
Cool. Thanks for the insight. I will have to see whether purchasing one would be worth it for me.
post #5716 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For Dennis or anyone else, what benefit or improvements, if any, would the C22 have as mains in a Ht setup over the BS22s? Would they perform as better front speakers?
post #5717 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For Dennis or anyone else, what benefit or improvements, if any, would the C22 have as mains in a Ht setup over the BS22s? Would they perform as better front speakers?
I assume you're referring to the stock C22 and BS22s. If so, the C22 has better quality control than the BS22's, but that's just luck of the draw. The C22's would be more sensitive than the BS22's due to the use of two woofers in parallel, but bass will actually be more restricted. In order to maintain the same bass reach in the C22, the cabinet would have to be twice as large as the BS22 cabinet. It's not, so you lose about 10 Hz of bass extension. The midbass also sounds a little heavier in the surround due to the smaller cabinet volume. So it's a mixed bag.
post #5718 of 5721 Unread Yesterday, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I assume you're referring to the stock C22 and BS22s. If so, the C22 has better quality control than the BS22's, but that's just luck of the draw. The C22's would be more sensitive than the BS22's due to the use of two woofers in parallel, but bass will actually be more restricted. In order to maintain the same bass reach in the C22, the cabinet would have to be twice as large as the BS22 cabinet. It's not, so you lose about 10 Hz of bass extension. The midbass also sounds a little heavier in the surround due to the smaller cabinet volume. So it's a mixed bag.
Thanks Dennis. What do you mean by "quality control" and luck of the draw? And I probably wouldn't be too concerned with the bass if I'm running a sub woofer at around 80z, correct? I plan on getting a PB 2000 for my sub woofer so basically I'm just looking for the best clarity, punch, and dynamics for my front sound stage.
post #5719 of 5721 Unread Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Dennis. What do you mean by "quality control" and luck of the draw? And I probably wouldn't be too concerned with the bass if I'm running a sub woofer at around 80z, correct? I plan on getting a PB 2000 for my sub woofer so basically I'm just looking for the best clarity, punch, and dynamics for my front sound stage.
I've measured hundreds of the stock BS22's, and the tweeter response varied widely, due, perhaps, to loose quality control in application of the cooling fluid for the voice coil. The center, on the other hand, measured very consistently.
post #5720 of 5721 Unread Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've measured hundreds of the stock BS22's, and the tweeter response varied widely, due, perhaps, to loose quality control in application of the cooling fluid for the voice coil. The center, on the other hand, measured very consistently.

Ok great thanks. And any concerns you would have with running the C22 vertically for my mains? Would they sound different running horizontal?
post #5721 of 5721 Unread Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok great thanks. And any concerns you would have with running the C22 vertically for my mains? Would they sound different running horizontal?
No concerns They will have much better horizontal dispersion running vertically than horizontally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers