Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 463Likes
post #5761 of 5781 Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
So how did the audition go? Can you provide any more information about the modified center channel that you're enjoying? I might pull the trigger on this to replace the stock pioneer center
yes i praised them in post #5714 of this thread. And if you look at the center's graph on the Philharmonic web site you're not going to find better than that even is you spend several times his mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 5781 Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2118 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Well, it could do a bit better than 10 kHz. I worked with one of the 57's a few years back. Compared with other speakers from that era, it had a much more even response on axis, and the tweeter panel reached 20 kHz easily, albeit a bit erratically. The main problem is a very narrow sweet spot. If you stand up, the highs go away, not because of poor vertical dispersion but because the tweeter panel begins to cancel with the woofer panel. There is no fix for that. I tried to integrate a ribbon super tweeter thinking at first that would solve the lack of highs, but the problem area was much further down. However, if you were willing to sit down and keep still, the midrange was quite natural, and there were no irritating peaks or dips that plagued most of the competition. I have a frequency response for my sample, but I don't see any way to post images here.
Yes, "back in the day," people were more than willing to sit in the sweet spot and play music for hours on end.

Folks in the 2 channel section still do that.

My old man had massive voice of the theaters, (each the size of a small desk), with his Macintosh tube amps, (a massive 30 watts each IIRC), and then once he gave those to the University of Miami music department moved on the Dahlquist DQ10s that had a similar look to the Quads.

He also had Bose 901s in the den for "non critical" listening of mostly pop music.

I inherited those in the eighties and they were great for 80's pop at loud volumes!

Ah, the "good old days."

We should be thankful of the breadth of choices we have today, no question, including the advent of companies like yours.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5763 of 5781 Old 02-15-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Yep, had a pair of HUGE advent speakers in the early 80s, which i inherited from my big brother, who decided not to take them with him to Germany with the army. Inefficient, but a huge amount of bass (I hadn't even heard of a subwoofer back then), but not very clean and certainly, a very narrow sweet spot.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only

post #5764 of 5781 Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi dennis I emailed you on saturday inquiring about an affordable accuracy center. was hoping to hear your thoughts on weather I need one. My viewing area is pretty narrow so there isn't much off axis seating, but i do walk around a lot and the living room opens into the kitchen so I was wondering if I would gain much clarity from the center. Most off axis seating would be 2-3 feet on each side of the MLP. My usage is about 70/30 HT/tv vs music.
post #5765 of 5781 Old 02-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
Any images?
Phil Slims look great,
doesn't appear to a large tower due to its slim front dimension.
These have walnut furniture upgrade.

Quad 57 are too temperamental to live with.
Being dipoles they need 3 ft+ space behind or good foot of sound dampening to show off sound clarity.
Other friends have shorted Quad speaker panels at usual listening levels.
(i'm using 150w/channel power amp to drive the Phil in 15X25 room, will use 300w/channel in a larger room as L/R speakers).

Nice thing Phil Slim has bass definition on par with B&W 804D ( Phils are less sensitive speakers).
I prefer Phil's treble over the B&W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03667.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1970537  
uncola, ahblaza, abd1 and 3 others like this.
post #5766 of 5781 Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey Dennis, just a suggestion if you're ever looking for a new speaker to re-do a crossover for your affordable accuracy monitors. The Polk Rti A1 is getting very cheap on amazon and is a pretty solid speaker except for some brightness in the 2-4KHz area like Polk is known for, if you could flatten that area out I think these would be really nice speakers. They are the only bookshelves I know of in this price point with real wood veneer as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bo...ds=polk+rti+a1

And the measurement from a sound and vision review below, just something to think about. I'm wondering though if this cheap pricing is because Polk is about to release their new RTI line and these are on closeout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	910polk.meas.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1976121  
post #5767 of 5781 Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
Hey Dennis, just a suggestion if you're ever looking for a new speaker to re-do a crossover for your affordable accuracy monitors. The Polk Rti A1 is getting very cheap on amazon and is a pretty solid speaker except for some brightness in the 2-4KHz area like Polk is known for, if you could flatten that area out I think these would be really nice speakers. They are the only bookshelves I know of in this price point with real wood veneer as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bo...ds=polk+rti+a1

And the measurement from a sound and vision review below, just something to think about. I'm wondering though if this cheap pricing is because Polk is about to release their new RTI line and these are on closeout.
Thanks for the information. I revised one Polk monitor back in the day--the RTi28. Like you, I was impressed with the cabinet quality, and the drivers were very decent. It just needed a fully optimized crossover. http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=RTi28.html I checked Amazon, and they only have 2 left. Also, by the time I redid the crossover and included a smidge of a profit, plus shipping (doesn't qualify for Prime), they would end up costing a good bit more than my current AA's, and they wouldn't go nearly as deep.
post #5768 of 5781 Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Quote:
wow, that's nice pricing indeed! But it says "only 2 in stock" unfortunately...

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5769 of 5781 Old 02-19-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
wow, that's nice pricing indeed! But it says "only 2 in stock" unfortunately...
Are we all talking about the $200 pricing? No included price in the original post.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #5770 of 5781 Old 02-19-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Are we all talking about the $200 pricing? No included price in the original post.
Ah, looks like Amazon ran out of the $169/pair models that were listed as "only 2 in stock" because now at the $200/pair price there's no mention of low stock. Either that or it was just another textbook example of Amazon's notorious pricing/inventory-listing manipulations.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5771 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Liked: 7
The Quasi speakers are not available on your website for orders yet .

I need matching surrounds with my Phil Slims.
Will these offer furniture grade finishes upgrades too ?
post #5772 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWer View Post
The Quasi speakers are not available on your website for orders yet .

I need matching surrounds with my Phil Slims.
Will these offer furniture grade finishes upgrades too ?
I'm losing the person who's been routing the Parts Express baffles, and I didn't want to post the new quasi-affordables until I nailed down a new source. I think I did that this morning and will be posting that line shortly. They will only be available in piano black and cherry. They'll get too expensive with Salk cabinets and I don't want to tie him up any further.

Last edited by Dennis Murphy; 02-20-2017 at 10:59 AM.
post #5773 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWer View Post
I can attest to Raal being nice.
After years with my old setup I suffered from GAS after listening to QUAD 57/Rhythm subwoofer setup.
That setup has much better presence than my old speakers.
However the Quad doesn't have enough bass as full range, adding subwoofers helps but no integration.

After a long wait for Phil Slims order they arrived over the weekend ,
preliminary listening shows they satisfy my Quad urge.
I am still waiting for my Slims. May be another month to go. For now, my BMR's are satisfying plenty.
post #5774 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons023 View Post
I am still waiting for my Slims. May be another month to go. For now, my BMR's are satisfying plenty.
I'd love to hear a comparison between the BMR and Slim once you get them.

Also Dennis I'm strongly considering grabbing a pair of BMR but had a question. Would it be possible to knock off as much as possible from the height of the BMR to make it a more compact bookshelf speaker? I was thinking at least 4 inches making it 18" tall. I understand the bass response would suffer a bit which I'm ok with, would this throw off the port tuning as well or just not dig as deep?
post #5775 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Ah, looks like Amazon ran out of the $169/pair models that were listed as "only 2 in stock" because now at the $200/pair price there's no mention of low stock. Either that or it was just another textbook example of Amazon's notorious pricing/inventory-listing manipulations.
I ended up grabbing a pair of the refurbished models for $150 which are eligible for Amazon prime. I doubt I'll prefer them to the Wharfedale Diamond 220's I got recently but we'll see. I do have parametic EQ on my UMC 200 that I can try to tame the brightness with.
post #5776 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ended up grabbing a pair of the refurbished models for $150 which are eligible for Amazon prime. I doubt I'll prefer them to the Wharfedale Diamond 220's I got recently but we'll see. I do have parametic EQ on my UMC 200 that I can try to tame the brightness with.
Please post a detailed review. I remember hearing the RTi4 (original series) a few years ago and liking them at low/moderate volumes, but remember they sounded thin and started to distort when cranked up louder. Am curious if the RTi-A series has improved much.

post #5777 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd love to hear a comparison between the BMR and Slim once you get them.

Also Dennis I'm strongly considering grabbing a pair of BMR but had a question. Would it be possible to knock off as much as possible from the height of the BMR to make it a more compact bookshelf speaker? I was thinking at least 4 inches making it 18" tall. I understand the bass response would suffer a bit which I'm ok with, would this throw off the port tuning as well or just not dig as deep?
I've already knocked 2" off of the height on versions with the pre-fabricated Parts Express cabinets. That's as far as I'm going to take it--any change in the baffle will require a redo of the crossover, and bass reach is one of the strongest features of the BMR's, so I'm not going to sacrifice that. I haven't advertised the shorter version because I wasn't sure I could get the baffles routed. I'm having a new guy do a test pair to see whether that's a go. If so, the price will be $1,350/pr.
jomartz likes this.
post #5778 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I've already knocked 2" off of the height on versions with the pre-fabricated Parts Express cabinets. That's as far as I'm going to take it--any change in the baffle will require a redo of the crossover, and bass reach is one of the strongest features of the BMR's, so I'm not going to sacrifice that. I haven't advertised the shorter version because I wasn't sure I could get the baffles routed. I'm having a new guy do a test pair to see whether that's a go. If so, the price will be $1,350/pr.
I understand, just so I'm clear the shortened version going to be 20" right?
post #5779 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 PM

Liked: 0
Do any of the speakers in the lineup offer highly resolving sound?
post #5780 of 5781 Old 02-20-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand, just so I'm clear the shortened version going to be 20" right?
Right, and I think .5" narrower.
post #5781 of 5781 Unread Today, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 42
These kind of flew under the radar: the Philharmonic Mini-Monitor http://philharmonicaudio.com/availablenow.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers