Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 508Likes

post #5851 of 5867 Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I can't say that I've heard the issue. It's possible that one of your woofers is a little out of line with the voice coil. Where are you crossing to the sub?

I'm crossing the sub at 90hz. I should mention that I just reran the same scene that caused the distortion, I messed around with the wiring into the receiver and it went away. But why only that scene? That doesn't make sense. One of my dust caps got pushed in by my toddler a few yrs ago and I wasn't able to restore it, but not sure if that affects the type of sound I'm describing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 5867 Old 03-13-2017, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post
Hi Dennis,
Have you considered offering your new mini-monitor as a kit in which you sell the drivers and assembled crossover only? Speaker cabinet and finish would be up to the buyer.
I would be interested in the Mini Monitor in a form factor that could be wall mounted. Preferable cabinet depth close to 6". Would building my own cabinet be the best way to achieve this?
post #5853 of 5867 Old 03-13-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
I would be interested in the Mini Monitor in a form factor that could be wall mounted. Preferable cabinet depth close to 6". Would building my own cabinet be the best way to achieve this?
I think his response to my question was a humorous "hell no" that went over my head...swooosh

I have emailed twice and received no response. He has responded prior to a couple of questions I had regarding ordering the slims.

post #5854 of 5867 Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
I think his response to my question was a humorous "hell no" that went over my head...swooosh

I have emailed twice and received no response. He has responded prior to a couple of questions I had regarding ordering the slims.
I'm afraid your response has gone over my head as well. I'm not sure what this is referring to. And I'm pretty sure I've responded to all of the e-mails I've received.
post #5855 of 5867 Old 03-13-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'm afraid your response has gone over my head as well. I'm not sure what this is referring to. And I'm pretty sure I've responded to all of the e-mails I've received.
Please see posts 5836, 5837, and 5838 in this thread.
I emailed you at info@philharmonicaudio.com on Wed, Mar 8 and Friday, Mar 10.
post #5856 of 5867 Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please see posts 5836, 5837, and 5838 in this thread.
I emailed you at info@philharmonicaudio.com on Wed, Mar 8 and Friday, Mar 10.
Hmmmm I have an e-mail in my sent file saying I needed to find a little time to work up the cost. I'm sorry if you didn't get it. I'll try and get back to you tonight.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.
post #5857 of 5867 Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
I'm afraid I don't have access to any cabinets that shallow. And in order to maintain the same internal volume of .25 cu ft, you would have to change the baffle dimensions, and that would require a redesign of the crossover, although it might still work if you made the baffle taller and mounted the drivers the same distance from the top as they are in the Parts Express cabinet.
post #5858 of 5867 Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really hope I am not distracting too much from the conversation in the forum, but I wanted to post my thoughts on my AA monitors, and figured this would be a good spot. That being said, here it goes:

I got the monitors last Tuesday. The actual shipping took about 2-3 days, I think, so that was awesome.

This is the very first pair of "real" speakers I would say I have ever purchased. I had a pair of old-school Realistic speakers from a family member, but nothing amazing.

The room these are in is pretty small, around 12x10 ft.

(Wanted that to be a preface, so people know where I am coming from)

I love these things. I cannot stop listening to them. Listen to them about 6 hours a day since I have gotten them. The bass is really surprising. People even told me what to expect, but these get down very low, I had no idea. That being said, I still plan on getting a sub soon (I like bass more than I thought I did). Music sounds amazing, and, I hear things WAY clearer on Blu-Ray/Movies (things in the background, especially, it seems).

Planning on getting a sub and the middle speaker that matches this in the near future.

Wish I could give more insight to people on these, but I am so new to AV and speakers in general, I can't even begin to compare them to anything else. Just thought I would say I am 100% happy with these, and look to build my HT around them.

Thanks again to everyone on here who helped me out. Would have never heard of these or even Phiharmonic Audio if not for this forum. My wallet hates and will continue to hate you guys, but I am really glad I found this forum.
mikeTRON250LM and jomartz like this.
post #5859 of 5867 Old 03-14-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotendo View Post
Really hope I am not distracting too much from the conversation in the forum, but I wanted to post my thoughts on my AA monitors, and figured this would be a good spot. That being said, here it goes:

I got the monitors last Tuesday. The actual shipping took about 2-3 days, I think, so that was awesome.

This is the very first pair of "real" speakers I would say I have ever purchased. I had a pair of old-school Realistic speakers from a family member, but nothing amazing.

I love these things. I cannot stop listening to them. Listen to them about 6 hours a day since I have gotten them. The bass is really surprising. People even told me what to expect, but these get down very low, I had no idea. That being said, I still plan on getting a sub soon (I like bass more than I thought I did). Music sounds amazing, and, I hear things WAY clearer on Blu-Ray/Movies (things in the background, especially, it seems).

Planning on getting a sub and the middle speaker that matches this in the near future.

Wish I could give more insight to people on these, but I am so new to AV and speakers in general, I can't even begin to compare them to anything else. Just thought I would say I am 100% happy with these, and look to build my HT around them.

Thanks again to everyone on here who helped me out. Would have never heard of these or even Phiharmonic Audio if not for this forum. My wallet hates and will continue to hate you guys, but I am really glad I found this forum.
I certainly welcome distractions like this one. Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions, and I'm happy to hear the AA's are working out for you.
laserjock II and brotendo like this.
post #5860 of 5867 Old 03-15-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotendo View Post

I think everyone appreciates your taking the time to post your impressions.

If my nieces who are new into vinyl ever want to upgrade I've already sent Dennis' link to my sister in law!

Assuming you have an Audio Video Receiver with an RCA sub out and internal crossover settings adding a sub is easy.

PM me if you do and are interested in an $83 sub suggestion.

My main sub was over $4000 MSRP but on a whim I bought an $83 sub and was knocked out at how good it was.

You don't have to spend a fortune for your first sub.

I'm still waiting for a "I returned my AA Monitors" post here on AVS but have yet to see one.

Wonder why?
mikeTRON250LM and brotendo like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5861 of 5867 Old 03-15-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Those Phil AAs are so cheap Dennis must eat bologne 3 times per week!
gajCA, jomartz and brotendo like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5862 of 5867 Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Those Phil AAs are so cheap Dennis must eat bologne 3 times per week!
They're cheap because you taxpayers have graciously funded my government pension. No bologna for me. Strictly upscale tofu.
post #5863 of 5867 Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 83
How problematic would the AA monitors be with their rear port around 4" from a back wall? I would be utilizing a sub so not sure how necessary space is needed for the port and how much this would affect sound quality.
post #5864 of 5867 Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
How problematic would the AA monitors be with their rear port around 4" from a back wall? I would be utilizing a sub so not sure how necessary space is needed for the port and how much this would affect sound quality.
You can always stuff the port with poly fill or a sock if the bass seems heavy. I wouldn't worry about it if you're crossing to a sub anyway.
post #5865 of 5867 Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone have any pictures of their Philharmonitors in the Salk cabinets?
post #5866 of 5867 Old Today, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitors and Center Channel for a few weeks now and am still in awe of how good they sound. But that has me wondering, if these "cheap" speakers are this good, how awesome must the Philharmonitors and MTM Center Channel be?

My current setup consists of the AAM's and Center Channel mentioned above, two NHT SuperZero 2.1 surrounds and two Dayton Audio 10" subwoofers. I cannot stop listening to them!

Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Ported Subwoofers (2)
Sony STR-DH550 Receiver
Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV4 + PS3
post #5867 of 5867 Old Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogero View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of their Philharmonitors in the Salk cabinets?
I haven't sold any of those. I did have two orders, but Jim built the cabinets for the last iteration of the Philharmonitor (with the Fountek Tweeter) by mistake. All the rest have used the Parts Express cabinets, which I think make them a much better buy. $1,450/pr for the Salk version is getting awfully close to the BMR price, and the BMR is a lot more speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers