Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 530Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5881 of 5898 Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Member
 
canyoncreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Well, I would start with track one on the demo CD at high volume. If you don't hear some bass, I'll have to fly down there.
I expect to have plenty of bass, but you are welcome to come to Austin anytime. Perhaps, you can take a crack at the Sierra 2s. Would love to have you "fix" them. Ha ha.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
canyoncreek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5882 of 5898 Old 03-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
konoyaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post
I'm quite happy. Also expecting the sound to exceed the looks.
They do look quite nice - what wood is that on the front and sides?
konoyaro is online now  
post #5883 of 5898 Old 03-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Member
 
canyoncreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post
They do look quite nice - what wood is that on the front and sides?
Walnut veneer on the fronts and curly Maple Vermeer on the sides

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
canyoncreek is offline  
 
post #5884 of 5898 Old 03-26-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 5,562
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post
[IMG]_DSC2489 by Dale Herman, on Flickr[/IMG]
Holy smokes are RAALs that delicate that if you blow on them too hard, to absent mindedly remove dust for example, they will fail?

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #5885 of 5898 Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,165
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Holy smokes are RAALs that delicate that if you blow on them too hard, to absent mindedly remove dust for example, they will fail?
Well, I wouldn't blow on them. There wo't be any dust buildup unless you never play them. But the covers are really there to prevent damage in air-freight transit in case there's a sudden loss of pressure. I use them out of an abundance of caution. If something should happen to the ribbon, RAAL has a fairly inexpensive replacement kit. So it's not like you're out 300 bucks.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #5886 of 5898 Old 03-26-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 5,562
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Well, I wouldn't blow on them. There wo't be any dust buildup unless you never play them. But the covers are really there to prevent damage in air-freight transit in case there's a sudden loss of pressure. I use them out of an abundance of caution. If something should happen to the ribbon, RAAL has a fairly inexpensive replacement kit. So it's not like you're out 300 bucks.
I shudder to think what the air freight charges are on those bad boys!

Thankfully my house is too small to contemplate owning those.

Maybe one day I can con the wife into Slim Towers in the secondary room!

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #5887 of 5898 Old 03-26-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,165
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I shudder to think what the air freight charges are on those bad boys!

Thankfully my house is too small to contemplate owning those.

Maybe one day I can con the wife into Slim Towers in the secondary room!
It's actually quite reasonable when you order in quantity from Serbia. The main cost of the RAALS is those heavy transformers, and Fed Ex hasn't figured out a way to bust those yet.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #5888 of 5898 Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 5,562
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
It's actually quite reasonable when you order in quantity from Serbia. The main cost of the RAALS is those heavy transformers, and Fed Ex hasn't figured out a way to bust those yet.
My mistake I thought you meant air shipping the Phil 3s.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #5889 of 5898 Old 03-26-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,165
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
My mistake I thought you meant air shipping the Phil 3s.
That was a little ambiguous--sorry. I don't think I'll opt for air freight on the 3's unless The Donald needs a pair at Mar-a-Lago real fast.
ahblaza, gajCA, Elihawk and 2 others like this.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #5890 of 5898 Old Today, 12:11 AM
Senior Member
 
uncola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
New line of inexpensive speakers from monoprice. Maybe suitable for the Murphy signature crossover massage treatment? http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru.../166049?page=1
uncola is offline  
post #5891 of 5898 Old Today, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
New line of inexpensive speakers from monoprice. Maybe suitable for the Murphy signature crossover massage treatment? http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru.../166049?page=1
Do we know if there is anything wrong with the current crossover on those?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Elihawk is online now  
post #5892 of 5898 Old Today, 05:26 AM
Senior Member
 
uncola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'll tell you whats wrong with them! They werent designed by Dennis Murphy, the Antonio Stradivari of crossover design! . Good point though they arent so cheap that we should assume the crossovers are real bad

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp
uncola is offline  
post #5893 of 5898 Old Today, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Yes, Dennis is the best "crossover designer" around, but he won't likely be able to improve them much if the crossover is already pretty good. However, maybe when he takes a look at the specs, he will have some ideas!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Elihawk is online now  
post #5894 of 5898 Old Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,165
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Yes, Dennis is the best "crossover designer" around, but he won't likely be able to improve them much if the crossover is already pretty good. However, maybe when he takes a look at the specs, he will have some ideas!
These are active speakers, right? Wrong? If active, do they have digital active crossovers? In any event, I'm way backed up with my own work, and the two speakers I did order for a possible upgrade recently were so compromised that a new crossover wouldn't Help much.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #5895 of 5898 Old Today, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
These are active speakers, right? Wrong? If active, do they have digital active crossovers? In any event, I'm way backed up with my own work, and the two speakers I did order for a possible upgrade recently were so compromised that a new crossover wouldn't Help much.
Dennis, no those Monoprice Airmotions are passive. Are you talking about the Bic as one of the two?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Elihawk is online now  
post #5896 of 5898 Old Today, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Youcan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
New line of inexpensive speakers from monoprice. Maybe suitable for the Murphy signature crossover massage treatment? http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru.../166049?page=1
I'm not a crossover expert, but I doubt he could improve them after reading that review. It looks like Monoprice went all out with them. I was thinking of ordering a pair just to see if I would prefer the AMT tweeter vs the soft dome.
Youcan1 is online now  
post #5897 of 5898 Old Today, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
BuddTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I don't think I'll opt for air freight on the 3's unless The Donald needs a pair at Mar-a-Lago real fast.
Just so that you know, The Donald will love them, Believe Me, I can tell you that! Why, because they are HUGE!!!!! Believe Me! Did I miss any "Donald-isms?" It's OK for ME to make fun of "The Donald, I voted for him!" History will show that he will either be the greatest President ever, or the most idiotic president ever, but nowhere in between. I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT!
BuddTX is online now  
post #5898 of 5898 Old Today, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston Metro
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post
Took possession of 0.75 of a beautiful pair of Phil3s. Fedex decided that my long wait would continue for a bit longer.

Very well packed.

[IMG]_DSC2493 by Dale Herman, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]_DSC2494 by Dale Herman, on Flickr[/IMG]
Very nice. Congratulations. I know you will enjoy them. Please let us know your thoughts.
Cheers
ad5wb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off