Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 677Likes
post #5941 of 6064 Unread 05-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody have any experience with the AA center channel? I'm planning on gettingthe AA monitors for a 2.0 system i am building but i want to upgrade the center channel on my HT. I ve heard a lot of praise for the AA's for music but have not heard too much about their use in HT applications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 6064 Unread 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
Does anybody have any experience with the AA center channel? I'm planning on gettingthe AA monitors for a 2.0 system i am building but i want to upgrade the center channel on my HT. I ve heard a lot of praise for the AA's for music but have not heard too much about their use in HT applications.
I have yet to read of anyone who bought one finding it anything but a great bang for buck center, far better than the speaker it is based on.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5943 of 6064 Unread 05-08-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
I have the aa center & monitors in my living room setup and have zero complaints. My room is pretty small,only 11x25 with the viewing area only about half of that. I think the aa center would be fine up to a medium room. for a really large room I think the dual 4in woofers could be underwhelming. It's not really a knock on the sound quality or Dennis's work. I could be wrong I've never tried my center in a larger room, just my speculation.

post #5944 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Phil 3's in their place of honor. Blankets to protect from our burrowing dog

They sound fantastic despite all of the reflections. Bass is really tight. Honest mids.

[IMG]_DSC2564 by Dale Herman, on Flickr[/IMG]
Leon O, Ericglo, abd1 and 8 others like this.
post #5945 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post

They sound fantastic despite all of the reflections. Bass is really tight. Honest mids.

Very very nice.
BuddTX, abd1 and zask2 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5946 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got my BMR's in today. I don't even have the stands here yet so I set them on the ground for the time being. I have a best buy with the legit Magnolia theater close to where I live that has $10,000+ speakers there and I have to say these can compete with the best. I am absolutely blown away. These have had me smiling all day. I will try to remember to take pictures once I have the stands in but these are worth every penny and more.

For comparison I did briefly have some Ascend 340's that were purchased by a friend that I can compare against as well. Anyways no offense to Ascend since these are clearly a different price bracket but they blew them away in every measure possible. Clarity wise and the ability to dig deep are all on another level. If you can swing the difference it is absolutely worth upgrading to the BMR. I do have some older hand me down Klipsch Synergy F2 towers and same story there. BMR's dig deeper than these towers too which is silly. In my opinion these can hang with the top of the line Martin Logan electrostatics which were my goal speakers for a long time. At the very least these would make anyone question what that extra $14000was buying for the Expression ESL 13A .

TL;DR: BMR's are worth every penny and more plus Dennis is a great guy!
ad5wb and mikeTRON250LM like this.
post #5947 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by brogero View Post
I just got my BMR's in today. I don't even have the stands here yet so I set them on the ground for the time being. I have a best buy with the legit Magnolia theater close to where I live that has $10,000+ speakers there and I have to say these can compete with the best. I am absolutely blown away. These have had me smiling all day. I will try to remember to take pictures once I have the stands in but these are worth every penny and more.

For comparison I did briefly have some Ascend 340's that were purchased by a friend that I can compare against as well. Anyways no offense to Ascend since these are clearly a different price bracket but they blew them away in every measure possible. Clarity wise and the ability to dig deep are all on another level. If you can swing the difference it is absolutely worth upgrading to the BMR. I do have some older hand me down Klipsch Synergy F2 towers and same story there. BMR's dig deeper than these towers too which is silly. In my opinion these can hang with the top of the line Martin Logan electrostatics which were my goal speakers for a long time. At the very least these would make anyone question what that extra $14000was buying for the Expression ESL 13A .

Photos or it didn't happen!
Mudslide and AverageJoseph like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5948 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Don't expect Jim Salk's magic on these. They have the Parts Express mirror black cabinets, which actually are very well done (assuming some idiot at the Philharmonic Audio assembly complex doesn't scratch them).
ad5wb likes this.
post #5949 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
http://imgur.com/a/Yjs3A

Terrible pictures but I will get more!
post #5950 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Don't expect Jim Salk's magic on these. They have the Parts Express mirror black cabinets, which actually are very well done (assuming some idiot at the Philharmonic Audio assembly complex doesn't scratch them).
They look great to me to be honest. The pictures don't do them justice. Plus the curved cabinets look incredible. I questioned whether I would regret not getting the Salk cabinets but after seeing these in person I am happy with my decision. I don't doubt that he does incredible work though. This was just my price point I could go to.
ad5wb likes this.
post #5951 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Both the Phil 3"s and the BMR's look great to me! I bet they sound fantastic.

post #5952 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Brogero
congrats on your new BMRs. What speaker stands did you get?
I got my curved cherry BMRs last week using an 18 inch sanus but I think they are too low. I might get a 24 inch stands.
post #5953 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Yes, mine are parts Express cabinets as well and while nothing like a Salk cabinet with a nice veneer...they look good. Excellent on both the Phil 3 and BMRs!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5954 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofprint View Post
Brogero
congrats on your new BMRs. What speaker stands did you get?
I got my curved cherry BMRs last week using an 18 inch sanus but I think they are too low. I might get a 24 inch stands.
I went with these but I have a fairly low sitting couch. I am hoping it works out well.

http://www.standsandmounts.com/vtirf...andsrf19b.aspx
post #5955 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went with these but I have a fairly low sitting couch. I am hoping it works out well.

You want ear level to be somewhere between the tweeter axis and the midrange axis. A little above the tweeter won't hurt, but if you go too high a suckout will develop in the crossover region between the midrange and tweeter. I would think an 18" stand would be OK.
post #5956 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You want ear level to be somewhere between the tweeter axis and the midrange axis. A little above the tweeter won't hurt, but if you go too high a suckout will develop in the crossover region between the midrange and tweeter. I would think an 18" stand would be OK.
Dennis
Do you think the 24 inch stand is not optimal for the BMRs? I'm using the 18 inch stand and I find it too low and my ear level is at the top of the Raal.
post #5957 of 6064 Unread 05-09-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:

great. thanks for the link.
post #5958 of 6064 Unread 05-10-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dennis
Do you think the 24 inch stand is not optimal for the BMRs? I'm using the 18 inch stand and I find it too low and my ear level is at the top of the Raal.
That seems high to me. I use 24" stands for small monitors. I think something in the 19" - 22" range would be better.
outofprint likes this.
post #5959 of 6064 Unread 05-10-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post

The midrange driver is similar to what Wisdom Audio uses. Wisdom is usually considered one of the best in shows at Cedia every year. With Dennis doing the design, I am sure the Phils are right up there.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #5960 of 6064 Unread 05-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
That seems high to me. I use 24" stands for small monitors. I think something in the 19" - 22" range would be better.

My ear is near the top of the speaker now that I have them setting on there. Do I need to get a taller stand? Also I had a huge brain fart. What is everyone using to secure the actual speakers to the stands? I assumed the stands would come with something but no dice there.
post #5961 of 6064 Unread 05-10-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My ear is near the top of the speaker now that I have them setting on there. Do I need to get a taller stand? Also I had a huge brain fart. What is everyone using to secure the actual speakers to the stands? I assumed the stands would come with something but no dice there.
That's certainly not ideal. But I'm not sure it's worth the expense of another set of stands. Do you notice a big difference in sound if you kneel down and get your ears in line with the tweeters?

Last edited by Dennis Murphy; 05-10-2017 at 09:38 PM.
post #5962 of 6064 Unread 05-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
That's certainly not ideal. But I'm not sure it's worth the expensive of another set of stands. Do you notice a big difference in sound if you kneel down and get your ears in line with the tweeters?
That is exactly my situation when I used the 18" stand. The total height of the speaker is 38" which is too low. Using the 24" stand raised the height and my ear level is now between the BMR & Raal.
post #5963 of 6064 Unread 05-10-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is exactly my situation when I used the 18" stand. The total height of the speaker is 38" which is too low. Using the 24" stand raised the height and my ear level is now between the BMR & Raal.
24" is too high for where I sit, but I guess I must sink pretty far into those fake leather sofa cushions.
post #5964 of 6064 Unread 05-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
24" is too high for where I sit, but I guess I must sink pretty far into those fake leather sofa cushions.
post #5965 of 6064 Unread 05-11-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you expect the time frame will be for a front three of your AAM series this summer as tons of folks are looking in that price range.

A few weeks or indeterminate?

Geoff A. J., California
post #5966 of 6064 Unread 05-11-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
What do you expect the time frame will be for a front three of your AAM series this summer as tons of folks are looking in that price range.

A few weeks or indeterminate?
We're talking about the $210/pr Affordable Accuracy, right? The problem right now is that Parts Express couldn't keep up with my demand for the BR-1 cabinets, and they're out of stock until May 30. I have a pretty long wait list to get through when they come in, so it will probably be until the middle of June before I'm caught up. After that, the wait will probably be a couple of weeks given current demand.
gajCA likes this.
post #5967 of 6064 Unread 05-11-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
We're talking about the $210/pr Affordable Accuracy, right? The problem right now is that Parts Express couldn't keep up with my demand for the BR-1 cabinets, and they're out of stock until May 30. I have a pretty long wait list to get through when they come in, so it will probably be until the middle of June before I'm caught up. After that, the wait will probably be a couple of weeks given current demand.
PE brought back the Pioneer towers...

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #5968 of 6064 Unread 05-11-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
PE brought back the Pioneer towers...

That's good?
post #5969 of 6064 Unread 05-11-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
That's good?
My son is still rocking his AA towers.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #5970 of 6064 Unread 05-11-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Hardware store has Bluetack - or the generic equivalent. If you feel like someone (ahem... kids or pets) might knock them over. Double-sided sticky tape.
brogero likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
slim towers