Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 634Likes
post #5971 of 5994 Unread 05-11-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
My son is still rocking his AA towers.
And I'm still rocking not having to build them. Major pain. The AAM's actually go lower, although they aren't as efficient. I have a design for an AA tower with two of the current woofers and a slightly more expensive tweeter, but as usual the problem is sourcing cabinets that won't price them out of the market. No luck so far.
Squirrel! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 5994 Unread 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you were indeed able to source cabinets, what kind of rough selling price do you have in mind for such a thing?
post #5973 of 5994 Unread 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayX View Post
If you were indeed able to source cabinets, what kind of rough selling price do you have in mind for such a thing?
I was aiming for $450/pr, but decent cabinets would probably cost that much if made domestically. And Parts Express doesn't carry tower cabinets.

post #5974 of 5994 Unread 05-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for the info, I hope one day you find the parts needed!
post #5975 of 5994 Unread 05-11-2017, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post
Phil 3's in their place of honor. Blankets to protect from our burrowing dog

They sound fantastic despite all of the reflections. Bass is really tight. Honest mids.

[IMG]_DSC2564 by Dale Herman, on Flickr[/IMG]
Mine sound great in my very live environment too!
As you note on the bass and mids!
Yours look great!
Congratulations!
klh007 likes this.
post #5976 of 5994 Unread 05-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
And I'm still rocking not having to build them. Major pain. The AAM's actually go lower, although they aren't as efficient. I have a design for an AA tower with two of the current woofers and a slightly more expensive tweeter, but as usual the problem is sourcing cabinets that won't price them out of the market. No luck so far.
Hi Dennis
What would the advantages of a tower version of the AA monitors with 2 woofers? I happen to LOVE my AA monitors, largely because they go so deep. So having 2 of those woofers seems like a win-win to me but i'm pretty ignorant in the science of speakers. Boy i heard about this 10 min ago and i already have a dream 2 AA towers in the front surrounded with AA monitors everywhere else.
post #5977 of 5994 Unread 05-12-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post
Hi Dennis
What would the advantages of a tower version of the AA monitors with 2 woofers? I happen to LOVE my AA monitors, largely because they go so deep. So having 2 of those woofers seems like a win-win to me but i'm pretty ignorant in the science of speakers. Boy i heard about this 10 min ago and i already have a dream 2 AA towers in the front surrounded with AA monitors everywhere else.
The added woofer gives you greater sensitivity, more power handling, and less distortion in the bass. Technically, two woofers won't play any lower than one--the -3 dB point will stay the same--but because each woofer only needs to move half as much for a given dB level, there will be less distortion and the bass may sound like it's more extended because it's cleaner. Now all I need is a cabinet maker who has the same business model I do (but most skilled workers are smarter than that).
Leon O, Mudslide, ahblaza and 3 others like this.
post #5978 of 5994 Unread 05-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I only wish you (Dennis Murphy) payed more attention in shop class. That way you could make the cabinets and sell them to us for cost plus $7 - you know your standard profit margin.
ad5wb likes this.
post #5979 of 5994 Unread 05-12-2017, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post
I only wish you (Dennis Murphy) payed more attention in shop class. That way you could make the cabinets and sell them to us for cost plus $7 - you know your standard profit margin.
When did Dennis give himself a raise?!
charmerci, Newbie789 and ad5wb like this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #5980 of 5994 Unread 05-13-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I wonder if there is some new products or manufacturing method that could be applied to bring down the cost of the cabinet. Since the AA is relatively small it might open some doors. I'm thinking like cast/poured urethane or some other polymer. Maybe slap a vinyl wrap on it for finish. Only thing that might be wood is the baffle, and making baffles is much cheaper to outsource. I dunno, just brainstorming...
dunejunkee likes this.
post #5981 of 5994 Unread 05-13-2017, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
We're talking about the $210/pr Affordable Accuracy, right? The problem right now is that Parts Express couldn't keep up with my demand for the BR-1 cabinets, and they're out of stock until May 30. I have a pretty long wait list to get through when they come in, so it will probably be until the middle of June before I'm caught up. After that, the wait will probably be a couple of weeks given current demand.
I'm daily looking thrice PE website if some miracle could happen by stocking BR-1 much earlier.
post #5982 of 5994 Unread 05-13-2017, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello everyone.

It is with great sorrow that I announce that my Philharmonic 2s are up for sale.

They are the original, satin black cabinets Dennis first sold.

The left speaker (in my setup) has 3 blemishes/nicks: Two on the front roundover and one on the right side of the cabinet. Only one blemish can be seen from afar. It also has some scratches, but because of the satin finish, they can only be seen when looking very close with a flashlight.

The right speaker does not have any nicks or scratches that I could see as I walked around.

They have been kept in a non-smoking household.

I am asking for USD 1750.

Feel free to PM for pictures.

I have the original boxes and a FedEx shipping account, so shipping should be cheaper than normal.

Thanks, everyone.

-Monk

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #5983 of 5994 Unread 05-14-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post
Hello everyone.
It is with great sorrow that I announce that my Philharmonic 2s are up for sale.
-Monk
Sorry to hear about that and that I didn't get a chance to come out and listen to your system - like I almost did in 2013.
post #5984 of 5994 Unread 05-14-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post
Hello everyone.

-Monk
Monk!! Wha??? Sorry to hear that you and Phil are parting ways. I hope all is well, buddy.

RJ

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #5985 of 5994 Unread 05-14-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Monk!! Wha??? Sorry to hear that you and Phil are parting ways. I hope all is well, buddy.

RJ
Thanks to both of you. You each have a PM.

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #5986 of 5994 Unread 05-15-2017, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brogero View Post
http://imgur.com/a/Yjs3A

Terrible pictures but I will get more!
Here they are on the stands!

http://imgur.com/a/1pOTt
outofprint and Brian Boro like this.
post #5987 of 5994 Unread 05-15-2017, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Here they are on the stands!

http://imgur.com/a/1pOTt
Thanks for posting, they look fantastic. They are such large "bookshelves" that they look top-heavy and a little silly on most stands.
I have a pair of custom made stands for my Aperion 6Bs (another large speaker) which I will use when I place an order on my BMRs..
How tall are they? Thanks again and congratulations.
post #5988 of 5994 Unread 05-15-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacHolz View Post
Thanks for posting, they look fantastic. They are such large "bookshelves" that they look top-heavy and a little silly on most stands.
I have a pair of custom made stands for my Aperion 6Bs (another large speaker) which I will use when I place an order on my BMRs..
How tall are they? Thanks again and congratulations.

The speaker dimensions are 20" H x (8" Front, 4.5" Back) W x 14" D. The actual stands are 19".
post #5989 of 5994 Unread 05-15-2017, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
The speaker dimensions are 20" H x (8" Front, 4.5" Back) W x 14" D. The actual stands are 19".
Thank you...
post #5990 of 5994 Unread Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post
man does that look like a sexy setup - phil 3's with an eames front and center! i could sit there for days!!
post #5991 of 5994 Unread Today, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 981
I am doing a lower end speaker challenge, as a friend of mine took advantage of the A4less special with the Areromax2 and two channel amp special (299.00) and then found out the wife didn't approve. I told him I would demo and see if I liked them enough to buy the speakers/amp for 200. But that is not my point...I am mostly testing these against my speakers in the price range...my e5Bi and my SM450s. But of course, I wanted to evaluate a speaker that used a BMR as a tweeter versus one that uses it as a midrange, my Phil-BMRs.
In general, of course, there is not comparison. The Phils are better at bass (lower and more accurate), midrange and highs (the RAAL is amazing in its detail and clarity). Sensitivity is the only place where the Aeromax wins.
As Dennis pointed out in a thread where he mostly tested the Aeromax for break in period, there are some dips in the high/high end and they are audible. Was listening to some Pink Floyd and some classical, doing an A/B comparison and found some violin parts not as clear or missing, and the "money" opening register part of the classic Floyd sound had a completely different sound to it. Almost like it was filtered at a couple frequencies...
My take on the Aeromax, pretty good speaker and better than the Def Tech SM450s, so those will go on Craiglist soon...and I think the BMR as a tweeter is better than a lot of cheap metal done tweeters...but not on par with a really good traditional tweeter. Imaging and horizontal dispersion is really good! Overall, the speaker is good, but I wouldn't pay list price for it (599.00 for the new release, 449.00 at some locations for my version)!
Ericglo likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5992 of 5994 Unread Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I am doing a lower end speaker challenge, as a friend of mine took advantage of the A4less special with the Areromax2 and two channel amp special (299.00) and then found out the wife didn't approve. I told him I would demo and see if I liked them enough to buy the speakers/amp for 200. But that is not my point...I am mostly testing these against my speakers in the price range...my e5Bi and my SM450s. But of course, I wanted to evaluate a speaker that used a BMR as a tweeter versus one that uses it as a midrange, my Phil-BMRs.
In general, of course, there is not comparison. The Phils are better at bass (lower and more accurate), midrange and highs (the RAAL is amazing in its detail and clarity). Sensitivity is the only place where the Aeromax wins.
As Dennis pointed out in a thread where he mostly tested the Aeromax for break in period, there are some dips in the high/high end and they are audible. Was listening to some Pink Floyd and some classical, doing an A/B comparison and found some violin parts not as clear or missing, and the "money" opening register part of the classic Floyd sound had a completely different sound to it. Almost like it was filtered at a couple frequencies...
My take on the Aeromax, pretty good speaker and better than the Def Tech SM450s, so those will go on Craiglist soon...and I think the BMR as a tweeter is better than a lot of cheap metal done tweeters...but not on par with a really good traditional tweeter. Imaging and horizontal dispersion is really good! Overall, the speaker is good, but I wouldn't pay list price for it (599.00 for the new release, 449.00 at some locations for my version)!
Thanks for the report. I think I would be willing to put my $210 AA monitors up against the Aero's.
post #5993 of 5994 Unread Today, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Quote:
Thanks for the report. I think I would be willing to put my $210 AA monitors up against the Aero's.
Dennis I probably would too...but rumor has it you don't have any in stock! Anyway, I have wanted a lightweight 100watt/ch 2 channel amp and that and the Aeromax speaker for 200 was something i just couldn't pass on. Anyone want to buy a SM450- CLR2002 front stage?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5994 of 5994 Unread Today, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Dennis I probably would too...but rumor has it you don't have any in stock! Anyway, I have wanted a lightweight 100watt/ch 2 channel amp and that and the Aeromax speaker for 200 was something i just couldn't pass on. Anyone want to buy a SM450- CLR2002 front stage?
Details Details. But hopefully Parts Express will make good on their projected restock date of May 30 for the cabinets, and then no one will have any excuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers