Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 201 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 658Likes
post #6001 of 6021 Unread 05-23-2017, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
How long have you offered the Slims? My brother has a pair, but he bough them second hand. I swear he has had them for 10 years...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6021 Unread 05-23-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
How long have you offered the Slims? My brother has a pair, but he bough them second hand. I swear he has had them for 10 years...
There have been two versions of the Slims--the first was more expensive because it used a Revelator woofer and the same tweeter as in the Phil 3. I dropped that as soon as the less expensive RAAL became available. That, and a different woofer dropped the price by $1,000. I think the total run of both versions has been more like 4 years.
post #6003 of 6021 Unread 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am the proud owner of a couple of Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors and recently I have been wondering about this: The Twitter on these speakers is off center so, acoustically speaking, Is there any difference between placing the speakers with the twitters towards the center to placing them with the twitters towards the outside?
brotendo likes this.

Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Ported Subwoofers (2)
Sony STR-DH550 Receiver
Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV4 + PS3

post #6004 of 6021 Unread 05-23-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomartz View Post
I am the proud owner of a couple of Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors and recently I have been wondering about this: The Twitter on these speakers is off center so, acoustically speaking, Is there any difference between placing the speakers with the twitters towards the center to placing them with the twitters towards the outside?
Since the tweeters are offset relative to the woofer, they will measure differently off axis to the left and to the right, since the distances to the sides of the baffle will be different, and that will generate different diffraction peaks and dips to the left vs. the right. Sometimes the left and right patterns are just different, and it's hard to say which is better. But with the AA's, the response is smoothest to the side with the widest baffle distance from the edge to the tweeter. That means that in principle the L and R speaker should be positioned so that the tweeters are furthest apart from each other. That's contrary to the conventional wisdom that calls for the opposite positioning. Will the speakers really sound smoother and image better with my recommended setup? Probably not.
jomartz and brotendo like this.
post #6005 of 6021 Unread 05-23-2017, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sorry to hear the Slims are gone. That was to be my short list for my next purchase to move up from the bookshelves I have.
Leon O, konoyaro, gajCA and 2 others like this.
post #6006 of 6021 Unread 05-24-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojodar View Post
Sorry to hear the Slims are gone. That was to be my short list for my next purchase to move up from the bookshelves I have.
If you have money for a deposit, Dennis may still be able to put one together for you...
post #6007 of 6021 Unread 05-24-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
If you have money for a deposit, Dennis may still be able to put one together for you...
I have a pair that I sent to Frank Van Alstine for use in an audio society meeting. He was afraid he couldn't get his own Phil 3's to the meeting, and wanted something more portable. In the end he was able to use the 3's, and I'll be getting them back from Frank in June.
charmerci likes this.
post #6008 of 6021 Unread 05-24-2017, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am interested. What is the finish? Should I contact you through your website?
post #6009 of 6021 Unread 05-24-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I have a pair that I sent to Frank Van Alstine for use in an audio society meeting. He was afraid he couldn't get his own Phil 3's to the meeting, and wanted something more portable. In the end he was able to use the 3's, and I'll be getting them back from Frank in June.
I see I have some PM's. For some reason I can't access my PM's. It's best to write me directly at info@philharmonicaudio.com
post #6010 of 6021 Unread 05-24-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi Dennis,
Is the price the same when the BMR Philarmonitor is ordered with the Part Express cabinet? Your website lists the starting price for a Salk cabinet only, I think.
post #6011 of 6021 Unread 05-25-2017, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I'll be updating my web page shortly. I've discontinued the Slims because they are almost identical to the Salk Song3 tower that was recently introduced. The tweeter and midrange are the same, and the woofer on the Song 3 is more sensitive and has greater power handling. That makes the Song 3 a better choice for HT.
Thanks Dennis, I'll keep these on my short list of choices.
post #6012 of 6021 Unread 05-25-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post
Hi Dennis,
Is the price the same when the BMR Philarmonitor is ordered with the Part Express cabinet? Your website lists the starting price for a Salk cabinet only, I think.
I haven't posted any details on the Parts Express version because I've been waiting for a new order of RAAL tweeters and wanted to be able to fill any new orders quickly. They'r due in tomorrow, so I'll be getting that info up shortly. But to answer your question, the PE BMR's will sell for $1,350/pr. The Salk version in the standard finish will still be $1,600, and a furniture-grade finish will be $200 extra.
BacHolz and charmerci like this.
post #6013 of 6021 Unread 05-25-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I haven't posted any details on the Parts Express version because I've been waiting for a new order of RAAL tweeters and wanted to be able to fill any new orders quickly. They'r due in tomorrow, so I'll be getting that info up shortly. But to answer your question, the PE BMR's will sell for $1,350/pr. The Salk version in the standard finish will still be $1,600, and a furniture-grade finish will be $200 extra.
WOW...

I'm very familiar with the PE cabinets; they are very sturdy and the finish is excellent. That is a phenomenal price for a BMR Philharmonitor.
I hope to order a pair from you in the very near future.
charmerci likes this.
post #6014 of 6021 Unread 05-25-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just so you know, I priced out each of the components of the Phil- BMR and this is what I came up with (I really hope Dennis gets a better price because these cost don't included labor, crossovers, bracing, fill etc). The RAAL is OEM, but every once in awhile a seller has them on ebay for 150 each. Ditto for the BMR, but I priced similar models. the woofer can be found at Madison Sound and of course, the cabinet at PE.
I came up with just over 1000 dollars for me to build it myself, not including crossover, etc. At the same time, i was looking at another brand and looked at the price of those driver, etc...and come up with less than 500 dollars of components in a speaker that was priced slight higher that the Phil-BMR. Dennis isn't getting that boat he has always wanted from the sale of the Phil-BMR!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #6015 of 6021 Unread 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just so you know, I priced out each of the components of the Phil- BMR and this is what I came up with (I really hope Dennis gets a better price because these cost don't included labor, crossovers, bracing, fill etc). The RAAL is OEM, but every once in awhile a seller has them on ebay for 150 each. Ditto for the BMR, but I priced similar models. the woofer can be found at Madison Sound and of course, the cabinet at PE.
I came up with just over 1000 dollars for me to build it myself, not including crossover, etc. At the same time, i was looking at another brand and looked at the price of those driver, etc...and come up with less than 500 dollars of components in a speaker that was priced slight higher that the Phil-BMR. Dennis isn't getting that boat he has always wanted from the sale of the Phil-BMR!
I'm fairly generous and stupid, but not quite to that extent. Welllll--maybe I'm not quite that generous. The BMR driver is very reasonably priced, and the RAAL tweeter costs less than those ebay bandits would lead you to believe.
BacHolz, kma100, Off_Tempo and 1 others like this.
post #6016 of 6021 Unread Yesterday, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So Dennis, you are suggesting that 300/pr for those RAALs is a bit of a mark up!? Good to know...

post #6017 of 6021 Unread Yesterday, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So Dennis, you are suggesting that 300/pr for those RAALs is a bit of a mark up!? Good to know...
Just saying..................
post #6018 of 6021 Unread Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post
WOW...

I'm very familiar with the PE cabinets; they are very sturdy and the finish is excellent. That is a phenomenal price for a BMR Philharmonitor.
I hope to order a pair from you in the very near future.
They are incredible. You will love them.
post #6019 of 6021 Unread Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Perhaps a silly question but here it goes: I own the Affordable Accuracy Center channel and although I understand the main function of the speaker grill is to protect the drivers, How much does it affect sound?

Sony STR-DH550 Receiver
post #6020 of 6021 Unread Yesterday, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomartz View Post
Perhaps a silly question but here it goes: I own the Affordable Accuracy Center channel and although I understand the main function of the speaker grill is to protect the drivers, How much does it affect sound?
The grill will make a fairly dramatic difference in the measured sound, but a relatively minor impact on perceived response. Reflections off of the ribs of the grill will cause various peaks and dips in the response. But those irregularities are not due to any inherent deficiencies in the drivers or crossover. A mind experiment might help. Suppose you listen to a pair of good speakers and them place tall dowels on either side of each speaker. If you measure the response, you will see the effect of reflections off of the dowels. Do you think you will notice any difference in the sound? Probably not. This example stems from a rather nasty public debate between John Atkinson of Stereophile and Richard Vandersteen concerning Stereophile's meaurements for the midrange region of the Vandersteen Model 7 speaker. I had heard the 7 and was very impressed with the smooth midrange. But the Stereophile measurements showed fairly large ripples in the response. Vandersteen claimed that these were benign reflections off of the dowels that framed the fabric grill, and that the human ear and brain don't pick up on those. I'm pretty sure Richard was right.
jomartz likes this.
post #6021 of 6021 Unread Today, 07:56 PM

To Toe-In or Not to Toe-In... How do you like to hear your music, speakers On or Off Axis?

Sony STR-DH550 Receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
slim towers