Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 680Likes

post #6061 of 6089 Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nL34f View Post
Dennis do you think 50-55 wpc stereo amp would be enough for your AAM?
When I asked Dennis he indicated that 30 watts at 6 ohms should be enough to power the AAMs. Just make sure your equipment specs that at 20-20 kHz with less than 1% distortion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6089 Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
When I asked Dennis he indicated that 30 watts at 6 ohms should be enough to power the AAMs. Just make sure your equipment specs that at 20-20 kHz with less than 1% distortion.
It all depends on the room and how loud you will play them. I know they work in an office setting running an ancient Rat Shack 20-watt mini amp. For really loud playback in a large carpeted room, I would want at least 80 clean watts. Of course, a watt isn't always a watt. For example, NAD specs are always conservative in terms of what the amp can really deliver. Anyhow, if you're not planning on annoying the neighbors and your room isn't huge, I think you can get by with the 50 watt receiver.
post #6063 of 6089 Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
How are you liking the center channel? I own the bs22s and looking to upgrade the center just for now. Just not sure whether to go this route or different line of speakers.
He says "amazing sound" so I'd bet he likes them.

post #6064 of 6089 Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just a small amp synergy report with my New Philharmonitors:

Firstwatt F7 DIY - 20 Watts class A - able to reach normal listening levels but poor dynamics, runs out of steam, bass didn't sound right. sweet treble and mids but poor pairing

Digital Amplifier Company Inline Maraschino Monoblocks with 48V power supplies: good pairing, no issues, sounds like a good class ab amp to me.

Hopefully I am done auditioning amps for a while. Right now the Maraschinos are perfect for me and my space constrained bedroom setup. I still love my odyssey kismet monoblocks, they are saved for when I redo my living room and get tower speakers the size of Exitar the celestial. (marvel comics reference)

KramerTC likes this.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp
post #6065 of 6089 Old 06-28-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just updated my website to introduce the less expensive version of the BMR monitors and to drop the Slims Jr from my roster of speakers. philharmonicaudio.com The new Salk Song 3 is almost identical to the Slims except for the woofer, which is a superior unit from Satori.

Last edited by Dennis Murphy; 06-28-2017 at 07:54 PM.
post #6066 of 6089 Old 06-28-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Dennis, I see the new monitor has a different RAAL than the Phil-BMR. Is that cost or space reasons? what propertied does that RAAL have that the 64-10
doesn't (or vice versa)?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #6067 of 6089 Old 06-28-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Dennis, I see the new monitor has a different RAAL than the Phil-BMR. Is that cost or space reasons? what propertied does that RAAL have that the 64-10
doesn't (or vice versa)?
Hi The two BMR's are identical except for the cabinets and some crossover tweaks necessitated by the shorter baffle on the prefab versions. They both use the 64-10, as does the New Philharmonitor and the now defunct Slims.
post #6068 of 6089 Old 06-28-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I just updated my website to introduce the less expensive version of the BMR monitors and to drop the Slims Jr from my roster of speakers. The new Salk Song 3 is almost identical to the Slims except for the woofer, which is a superior unit from Satori.
You really oughta always post a link to your website at the bottom of your posts every time.
post #6069 of 6089 Old 06-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Dennis, hope this finds you well and busy.... The new line of speakers look great and I am sure they sound great.

I have a bit of dilemma ... I have been dismantling the larger theater and moving the "theater" to a small room in our home. This room will not accommodate the wonderful "large" center channel I bought from you. So I will need to sell it to purchase something smaller. It was the one with the seas woofers and the fountek tweeter. Do you or anyone know a possible buyer. Thanks, Robert

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6070 of 6089 Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post
Hey Dennis, hope this finds you well and busy.... The new line of speakers look great and I am sure they sound great.

I have a bit of dilemma ... I have been dismantling the larger theater and moving the "theater" to a small room in our home. This room will not accommodate the wonderful "large" center channel I bought from you. So I will need to sell it to purchase something smaller. It was the one with the seas woofers and the fountek tweeter. Do you or anyone know a possible buyer. Thanks, Robert

Pic and location?

I have the DIY L/R with the Fountek tweeter that Dennis helped design.

Thanks
post #6071 of 6089 Old 06-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Pic and location?

I have the DIY L/R with the Fountek tweeter that Dennis helped design.

Thanks

Hey, sure, I am located in Prince George, Virginia...here are a couple of pics.

post #6072 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Hi The two BMR's are identical except for the cabinets and some crossover tweaks necessitated by the shorter baffle on the prefab versions. They both use the 64-10, as does the New Philharmonitor and the now defunct Slims.
I see...the descriptors for them are not identical...but that make sense.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #6073 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Dennis do you still do the pioneer bs22lr mods? i know you dont sell them anymore but if someone sent you a pair of new ones would you still do the mods or are you completely done with those.
post #6074 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Robert Good to hear from you. If you'll send me an asking price to my info@philharmonicaudio.com email, I'll let anyone who asks for the MTM know that yours is available.
post #6075 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

PM sent.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #6076 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
PM sent.
Hi Mudslide I can't access my PM's, so please send that to my info email address. Thanks
post #6077 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mudslide I can't access my PM's, so please send that to my info email address. Thanks
Dennis, for some reason your regular email system is blocking me. I'll send the note to the Phil website (as you suggested above). Let me know if you get it.

RJ

MARGARITAS,

Last edited by Mudslide; 06-30-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #6078 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dennis, for some reason your email system is blocking me. I'll send the note to the Phil website (info.philxxx). Let me know if you get it.

RJ
If you sent it to my Verizon address, it would bounce because Verizon terminated all of the email accounts. That's why I said to send it to my Info email. I haven't received anything yet.
post #6079 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you sent it to my Verizon address, it would bounce because Verizon terminated all of the email accounts. That's why I said to send it to my Info email. I haven't received anything yet.
LOL, just edited the post and sent email to the phil site a couple of minutes ago.

MARGARITAS,
post #6080 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Verizon doesn't like nice people or cool speakers?

MARGARITAS,
post #6081 of 6089 Old 06-30-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Verizon doesn't like nice people or cool speakers?
They don't like anyone since they took over AOL.
ahblaza likes this.
post #6082 of 6089 Old 07-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Would the new mini philharmonitors work well as a mains for a small living room/HT? Currently running the AAM monitors with the modded pioneer center and it's been great so far. I do want to see what the raal Tweeter is all about. I currently have everything crossed at 80hz so I don't think I will be missing any low end. My usage is split 50/50 music & HT use. Will I be losing on any midrange because the mini phil woofer is a 5 inch compared to the 6.5 of the AAM? Would this be considered a big upgrade? Or would I be better off going for the full size philharmonitor? The room is only about 11x14 with the back opening up to the kitchen. Also because of room constraints the furthest I can have them off the wall is about 8-10 inches. Would you recommend the sealed vs ported mini phils? Thanks you!
post #6083 of 6089 Old 07-15-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkagan View Post
Would the new mini philharmonitors work well as a mains for a small living room/HT? Currently running the AAM monitors with the modded pioneer center and it's been great so far. I do want to see what the raal Tweeter is all about. I currently have everything crossed at 80hz so I don't think I will be missing any low end. My usage is split 50/50 music & HT use. Will I be losing on any midrange because the mini phil woofer is a 5 inch compared to the 6.5 of the AAM? Would this be considered a big upgrade? Or would I be better off going for the full size philharmonitor? The room is only about 11x14 with the back opening up to the kitchen. Also because of room constraints the furthest I can have them off the wall is about 8-10 inches. Would you recommend the sealed vs ported mini phils? Thanks you!
I really intended the mini's as special purpose speakers--either as surrounds or as desk-top speakers, or speakers in very small rooms. Without a sub, either mini--even the ported one--would give up a good bit of bass to the AA monitors. In return, you get better and deeper sound staging thanks to the smoothness and very wide dispersion of the RAAL's. With a sub in play, assuming it's a good one and properly integrated, the mini's would probably be a step up from the AA's, and I don't think you would gain anything by going all the way up to the Philharmonitor. So I guess it's just a question of how much more refined highs mean to you. All this is subject to the proviso that I've never tried the mini's with a sub, so I can't give you firm advice on how they would compare to the AA's with a sub.
post #6084 of 6089 Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I really intended the mini's as special purpose speakers--either as surrounds or as desk-top speakers, or speakers in very small rooms. Without a sub, either mini--even the ported one--would give up a good bit of bass to the AA monitors. In return, you get better and deeper sound staging thanks to the smoothness and very wide dispersion of the RAAL's. With a sub in play, assuming it's a good one and properly integrated, the mini's would probably be a step up from the AA's, and I don't think you would gain anything by going all the way up to the Philharmonitor. So I guess it's just a question of how much more refined highs mean to you. All this is subject to the proviso that I've never tried the mini's with a sub, so I can't give you firm advice on how they would compare to the AA's with a sub.
Hi Dennis, I'm also interested in these new mini monitors and wanted to know based on their low frequency roll off is the sealed or ported version better to blend with a sub? If I have the capability to use an electronic 4th order high pass with them would ported be the better option since I would benefit from lower woofer excursion below the crossover point? And would it be possible to get a 3rd identical mini monitor for use as a center channel as well for those of us who prefer identical speakers all around? Thanks.
post #6085 of 6089 Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
Hi Dennis, I'm also interested in these new mini monitors and wanted to know based on their low frequency roll off is the sealed or ported version better to blend with a sub? If I have the capability to use an electronic 4th order high pass with them would ported be the better option since I would benefit from lower woofer excursion below the crossover point? And would it be possible to get a 3rd identical mini monitor for use as a center channel as well for those of us who prefer identical speakers all around? Thanks.
If you have the option of a 4th order electronic Xover (which would provide a higher order acoustic slope depending on the crossover frequency), either the ported or sealed will work fine. However, if you wanted a third mini for a center, then that would only be possible with the ported version, since those cabinets are sold individually and the sealed are only sold in pairs. I doubt that I'll get another request for a single mini as a center, so I wouldn't want to break up a set.
post #6086 of 6089 Old 07-18-2017, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Another question about the minis.. are you still offering the mtm center with the same raal? And if so will they match the new minis as well as they did the full siZe philharmonitor? Don't see the center on your website anymore
post #6087 of 6089 Old 07-18-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkagan View Post
Another question about the minis.. are you still offering the mtm center with the same raal? And if so will they match the new minis as well as they did the full siZe philharmonitor? Don't see the center on your website anymore
Actually, I've never offered an MTM center with the RAAL. I do have one with the Seas ER15 woofer and a Fountek ribbon. It's very similar to the Salk Song Surround. The only difference is the Fountek tweeter in place of the Hiquphon 0W2 dome. The drivers in the mini would make a very nice MTM center. I'll have to think about that.
mtkagan likes this.
post #6088 of 6089 Old 07-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Dennis,

Given an 80hz sub crossover, would the Philharmonitor and the Mini have appreciably different power handling/output capabilities? I've got a pretty small theater, and was wondering how close to reference level I might be able to get with these. Besides acoustically recorded stuff, I frequently listen to electronic music with a lot of content in the bass, mid-bass and like being able to turn it up on occasion. Would it just be a matter of having enough amp power? because these seem like very capable drivers.

Chalk me up for interest in a Mini center design!
post #6089 of 6089 Old 07-21-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline View Post
Hi Dennis,

Given an 80hz sub crossover, would the Philharmonitor and the Mini have appreciably different power handling/output capabilities? I've got a pretty small theater, and was wondering how close to reference level I might be able to get with these. Besides acoustically recorded stuff, I frequently listen to electronic music with a lot of content in the bass, mid-bass and like being able to turn it up on occasion. Would it just be a matter of having enough amp power? because these seem like very capable drivers.

Chalk me up for interest in a Mini center design!
I would have to test it out. Doubling up on the woofers will definitely increase their power handling. Enough for reference level? I just don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page