Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 4638 Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey FM, I have listened to the Philharmonic I and III and am very happy I got in the 'buyers loop' when I did. Cuz I think Dennis will be extremely busy later on.

Given the 'DM' speaker design reputation and quality I know and have heard....... I think this 'endeavor' will be huge, really huge!!!

And I am excited to be receiving one of the first pairs!

Can't wait to hear them with my new tube amp.....(know you love that Dennis)!!

<(**,)>

R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4638 Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Hey FM, I have listened to the Philharmonic I and III and am very happy I got in the 'buyers loop' when I did. Cuz I think Dennis will be extremely busy later on.

Given the 'DM' speaker design reputation and quality I know and have heard....... I think this 'endeavor' will be huge, really huge!!!

And I am excited to be receiving one of the first pairs!

Can't wait to hear them with my new tube amp.....(know you love that Dennis)!!

<(**,)>

R

Congrats on your purchase!!!!! I hope I will follow behind you in the months to come.

HAVE:

Receiver: Marantz SR6004
Speakers: Philharmonic 2; TagMclaren Calliope; Pioneer BS-22
Sub: W15GTI MKII (Tuned to 20hz; 300 liter enclosure) X 2
post #63 of 4638 Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks "M", I am really looking forward these ''award winning'' new speakers..... well maybe not award winning yet!!!!!, but many award winning comments and compliments have been made toward these new designs already!!!!

It seems threads are popping up all over the net.

They are bound to demand audiophile attention as Dennis' crossovers are definitely ''winners''.

I also own a pair of CAOW1s he made for me in his DIY designs on the website....murphyblaster.com. They are very musical bookshelf speakers.

I really think you will be very happy with these and hopefully you can pull the plug soon too.

They sound sweet and a great bargain to my ears!

The sale of each speaker will add support the Washington Metropolitan Philharmonic Orchestra of which Dennis is a member, a none-profit Orchestra which depends on deonations. (See site below).

http://www.wmpamusic.org/
post #64 of 4638 Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

You honestly can't go wrong with a Dennis Murphy design and build...

If I could fit a pair of these in my room - I wouldn't hesitate...
post #65 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a feeling that the philarmonic 3 will sound similar to the salk soundscape despite that it doesnt have an acuton mid, i would guess the overal presentation would be similar for a alot less.
post #66 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

I have a feeling that the philarmonic 3 will sound similar to the salk soundscape despite that it doesnt have an acuton mid, i would guess the overal presentation would be similar for a alot less.

The key here being A LOT less. $2800 vs $10K.
That price diff can pay for some really nice electronics or whatever.
A TL with 8" woof won't reach quite as low as the 10" w\\passive SS, but in reality for music and for most room sizes one would be hard pressed to tell the difference on most music I think.

I'm really not one that cares to pay for exotic veneers either.
If I want furniture, I'll buy furniture.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #67 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

A TL with 8" woof won't reach quite as low as the 10" w\\passive SS, but in reality for music and for most room sizes one would be hard pressed to tell the difference on most music I think.

agree, now one thing i dont understand, it seems that the phil will be easiy competing with the salk from the ST to he HT3. I guess thats what i call competetion.
post #68 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

So except for the drivers and the cabinet, they should be very similar.....

Cmon folks - I'm sure the 3 will be a great sounding speaker and a good value, but shouldn't comparisons be made after hearing one?
post #69 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Cmon folks - I'm sure the 3 will be a great sounding speaker and a good value, but shouldn't comparisons be made after hearing one?

it sure should, but companies like salk and with Dennis, is hard to make an audition, so we need other points to make comparison. The reason why the phil is brought to comparison with the soundscape is becuase of the raal tweeter, open back midrange and the two who had desinged and work with salk.
post #70 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

I agree that speculation is pretty meaningless. I have both set up in my living room. Too bad more of you don't live near Washington (D.C.). But two things are pretty clear--nothing is going to touch the SoundScape for bass energy and clarity below 25 Hz or so. And nothing is going to touch the SoundScapes for cabinet artistry.
post #71 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

it sure should, but companies like salk and with Dennis, is hard to make an audition, so we need other points to make comparison. The reason why the phil is brought to comparison with the soundscape is becuase of the raal tweeter, open back midrange and the two who had desinged and work with salk.

The Phils are new, but there are enough Salks out there now that unless you live in a fairly remote area, auditioning them shouldn't be a problem.
post #72 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So no comparisons can be made unless one hears the SS and the Phil 3?
Good luck with that.
I think my post was pretty clearly in the arena of speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I agree that speculation is pretty meaningless. I have both set up in my living room. Too bad more of you don't live near Washington (D.C.). But two things are pretty clear--nothing is going to touch the SoundScape for bass energy and clarity below 25 Hz or so. And nothing is going to touch the SoundScapes for cabinet artistry.

Sorry Dennis but I think there are enough people living near D.C already

In Speculation Mode
Never having heard either speaker, I would speculate that your assessment is factual. My previous post was based on a speculated percentage of music that contains significant energy at 25Hz or below and a speculated average room size.
Speculation Mode Off
Back to watching the Ravens kicking the crap out the Steelers

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #73 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So no comparisons can be made unless one hears the SS and the Phil 3?
Good luck with that.
I think my post was pretty clearly in the arena of speculation.

Now that I've thought about it, maybe I should like your way of looking at it.

I can tell everyone that my Focal Profiles probably sound just like Focal Grand Utopia EM's at a fraction of the price. After all they share a driver and were designed by the same folks.

Never said you need to listen to both to make a comparison, but that at least listening to a 3 before comparing it to anything else would be more sensible than making assumptions based on similarities in design.

Anyhow, Dennis has weighed in and he can speak to it far better than either of us, so I'll drop out of this one.
post #74 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My previous post was based on a speculated percentage of music that contains significant energy at 25Hz or below and a speculated average room size.
Speculation Mode Off

There's more down there than you might think. Particularly if the recording studio is near a subway.
post #75 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dennis,

Didn't realize you were in the DC area. Do you have a demo area I could visit the next time I'm in the area on business. Despite how my posts might be interpreted, I'm very interested in the 3's. Probably a year or so from buying speakers for a second, music only setup, so no real urgency, but would love to hear them as part of the "hunt".
post #76 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can tell everyone that my Focal Profiles probably sound just like Focal Grand Utopia EM's at a fraction of the price. After all they share a driver and were designed by the same folks.

Never said you need to listen to both to make a comparison, but that at least listening to a 3 before comparing it to anything else would be more sensible than making assumptions based on similarities in design.

Anyhow, Dennis has weighed in and he can speak to it far better than either of us, so I'll drop out of this one.

No one made any assumptions, just speculation and i could probably be wrong. Maybe they just dont sound anything alike, Dennis for sure knows.
post #77 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bfreedma, lighten up and good luck with obtaining surety of factual comparisons on online forums.

post #78 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bfreedma, lighten up and good luck with obtaining surety of factual comparisons on online forums.

Yes, I must be crazy thinking we might discuss facts on the AV Science forum.

BTW, my response was sarcastic, not serious.

Anyway, I think the most important thing today is that both our football teams had a good Sunday. The Eagles win may not have been as impressive as what the Ravens did to the Steelers, but I'll take it.
post #79 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dennis,

Didn't realize you were in the DC area. Do you have a demo area I could visit the next time I'm in the area on business. Despite how my posts might be interpreted, I'm very interested in the 3's. Probably a year or so from buying speakers for a second, music only setup, so no real urgency, but would love to hear them as part of the "hunt".

Hi You're more than welcome to visit the Wehawken Rd. studios the next time you're in town (unless you're allergic to Golden Retrievers). Right now I have the 2's, 3's and SoundScape10's set up, with an instant comparison switching preamp that compensates for sensitivity differences. You can bring you own CD's and play as long as you want.
post #80 of 4638 Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I must be crazy thinking we might discuss facts on the AV Science forum.

BTW, my response was sarcastic, not serious.

Anyway, I think the most important thing today is that both our football teams had a good Sunday. The Eagles win may not have been as impressive as what the Ravens did to the Steelers, but I'll take it.

At least you like seeing the Steelers getting pounded in a fair fight.
You've got that going for you
I'll be looking forward to your factual review after a visit to Dennis' Speaker Emporium.

post #81 of 4638 Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99
At least you like seeing the Steelers getting pounded in a fair fight.
You've got that going for you
I'll be looking forward to your factual review after a visit to Dennis' Speaker Emporium.
I still preferred seeing the Steelers get pounded by Green Bay during the Super Bowl.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #82 of 4638 Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi You're more than welcome to visit the Wehawken Rd. studios the next time you're in town (unless you're allergic to Golden Retrievers). Right now I have the 2's, 3's and SoundScape10's set up, with an instant comparison switching preamp that compensates for sensitivity differences. You can bring you own CD's and play as long as you want.

Thanks Dennis. Golden Retrievers are actually a huge plus for me. Had them in the household since I was young. We are goldenless at my home at the moment (lost my pal a year ago, and needed some recovery time), but have a new pup coming in November!

Will PM you when I know what the dates for my next trip will be.

Thanks!

Ben
post #83 of 4638 Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Dennis. Golden Retrievers are actually a huge plus for me. Had them in the household since I was young. We are goldenless at my home at the moment (lost my pal a year ago, and needed some recovery time), but have a new pup coming in November!

Will PM you when I know what the dates for my next trip will be.

Thanks!

Ben

Great Ben--Big Ben the retriever will be looking forward to annoying you. I don't think he's ever met another Ben before.
post #84 of 4638 Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great Ben--Big Ben the retriever will be looking forward to annoying you. I don't think he's ever met another Ben before.

Lol

HAVE:

post #85 of 4638 Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No Ben's been around big Ben before? Big Ben been born in a Barn?

Sorry... couldn't resist. long day today
Cheers

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #86 of 4638 Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Liked: 10
Ordered a pair of 3's after speaking with Dennis last weekend. Eager to hear impressions from new owners and hoping to join the club of in home owners before Halloween : ^ )
greg
post #87 of 4638 Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyfun View Post

Ordered a pair of 3's after speaking with Dennis last weekend. Eager to hear impressions from new owners and hoping to join the club of in home owners before Halloween : ^ )
greg

Congrats buddy!!!!!! Im glad to hear you decided on the Phils!

Ill be ordering my pair around march. :-)

HAVE:

post #88 of 4638 Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:

There's more down there than you might think. Particularly if the recording studio is near a subway.

Honest question here, how much sound on MUSIC (not HT which is whole other animal) is sub 25Hz ? Have looked at the frequency range of instruments and voice on Wiki and seems other than low note pipe organ not much. Was wondering if musician such as Dennis could enlighten. Thanks
Greg
post #89 of 4638 Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyfun View Post

Honest question here, how much sound on MUSIC (not HT which is whole other animal) is sub 25Hz ? Have looked at the frequency range of instruments and voice on Wiki and seems other than low note pipe organ not much. Was wondering if musician such as Dennis could enlighten. Thanks
Greg

It's quite true that instruments other than organ, piano (but not really--few pianos are clean down to their theoretical bottom fundamental of 27 Hz), bass drum, and contra basson don't produce fundamentals below 32 Hz. But woofers that reach down into the bottom octave will be flatter and cleaner in the 30-35 Hz range than woofers that are capable of some output at 32 Hz. Further, and this is controversial, I think orchestra halls produce subsonics below the fundamental, or perhaps just amplify the fundamental to the point where only woofers with lots of reserve in the 30 Hz range can reproduce the effect convincingly. All I know is that the Scan revelator clearly has more bass impact than the SB Acoustics unit on program material that in theory doesn't go below 30 Hz.
post #90 of 4638 Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Thanks Dennis. know with sound the theoretical and real life do not always line up.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page