Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 4638 Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Thanks fellas.

The finish is inconsequential to me and so is bass below 31hz (since they are strictly for 2 ch. music and not of the organ type). My current Focal Electras are mainly black satin and they look fine. The Phil cabinets are made overseas but Dennis told me the mdf is better than what's used in n. america. Dennis stated that the major difference between the 2 and 3 is the bass driver and extension, but what I'm really yearning is SQ.

Which Focal Electras do you have? And are they in your HT room, or are the Phil 2's supposed to replace the Electras?
Dennis Murphy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 4638 Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Heya Dennis it's Ross. I have an entire Focal Electra HT, but the Phil 2s are replacing the Electras for 2 channel duty. The Electras are going to be for HT only.
d_m1010 is offline  
post #153 of 4638 Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Congratulations....d_m1010, we can certainly compare now. Looking forward to how your senses perceive them, in terms of SQ, my guess very, very favorable!!!
woodsart is offline  
post #154 of 4638 Old 12-03-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Hi There's no difference in the drivers--each uses the Fountek tweeter in the Phil I + a Seas ER18 woofer. The only difference is the size of the cabinet (.5 cu ft vs. .75 cu ft) and an associated tweaking of the crossover. The price isn't firm yet, but it should be around $800/pr for the smaller version, and $900 for the larger.


What would be gained in going with the Phil monitor II's vs the Phil monitor I's? I am assuming the bass would be slightly deeper in the II's due to the larger cabinet? How does the Fountek tweeter compare to the RAAL tweeter? How much would it cost to upgrade to the RAAL 10?
Martycool007 is offline  
post #155 of 4638 Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
bearchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Raal does not go low enough for the Seas mid-woofer.
bearchan is offline  
post #156 of 4638 Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 231
So I'm thinking for someone with a $4K budget, two Philharmonic 1 tower ($800 each), 3 Philharmonic bookshelf ($400 each), and 2 Rythmik FV12 sub ($500 each) would be a very, very nice 5.2 system.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #157 of 4638 Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

The Raal does not go low enough for the Seas mid-woofer.

It could be done, but there would be some beaming in the lower treble-upper midrange. To do it right, I would have to sign up for the OEM RAAL 20's. And to really do it right, maybe upgrade the woofer to an Excel. Le Voila. The Salk HT1. http://www.salksound.com/veracity%20ht1%20-%20home.htm I think I'll let Jim handle the really upper level monitor part of the biz.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #158 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I am interested in a few speakers at the moment. Right now I am trying to gather info and seek advise. I wonder how these would sound compared to each other:

1. Philharmonic Audio Monitor II's w/RAAL

2. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 monitors w/RAAL

3. Salk- Salksurround II's w/RAAL


I would imagine at this point it would just be like spliting hairs, and I seriously doubt that anyone has heard more than just one of these pairs of speakers.
Martycool007 is offline  
post #159 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I am interested in a few speakers at the moment. Right now I am trying to gather info and seek advise. I wonder how these would sound compared to each other:

1. Philharmonic Audio Monitor II's w/RAAL

2. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 monitors w/RAAL

3. Salk- Salksurround II's w/RAAL


I would imagine at this point it would just be like spliting hairs, and I seriously doubt that anyone has heard more than just one of these pairs of speakers.

Concerning the Phil Monitors will RAAL and Salk Surround II's with RAAL: I don't even know that a pair has been created yet. They very well could have been, but I haven't read about it yet. And the Ascend Sierra-1 with RAAL doesn't exist as far as I know (I could be wrong).

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #160 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Martycool007, as far as I know the Philly Monitor II is being tweeked as we speak or at least this week with the Fountek, pretty sure Dennis has no plans of the RAAL with the monitor II as of now. Possibly in the future and I am sure he will chime in here on that.

However, I will soon be able to share my thoughts of the Philly IIs with the RAAL and the Monitor IIs with the Fountek.
woodsart is offline  
post #161 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
[quote=woodsart;21302190]Martycool007, as far as I know the Philly Monitor II is being tweeked as we speak or at least this week with the Fountek, pretty sure Dennis has no plans of the RAAL with the monitor II as of now. Possibly in the future and I am sure he will chime in here on that.
QUOTE]

See post 157 above.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #162 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Concerning the Phil Monitors will RAAL and Salk Surround II's with RAAL: I don't even know that a pair has been created yet. They very well could have been, but I haven't read about it yet. And the Ascend Sierra-1 with RAAL doesn't exist as far as I know (I could be wrong).


I suppose that you could say these would not be considered "Philharmonic Audio Monitor II's. I spoke with Dennis and he said that he could build me a custom Monitor with the RAAL in a .75 cabinet. I have also spoken to Jim and he said that he could build me a modified version of the Salk Songsurround II's with a RAAL tweeter. Not sure on the Ascend. Basically I am trying to decide whether to go with the Monitors from Dennis or the Monitors from Jim. Not sure what the differences would be between them as I do not know which midwoofer they would be using. Guess I need to figure that out!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #163 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I suppose that you could say these would not be considered "Philharmonic Audio Monitor II's. I spoke with Dennis and he said that he could build me a custom Monitor with the RAAL in a .75 cabinet. I have also spoken to Jim and he said that he could build me a modified version of the Salk Songsurround II's with a RAAL tweeter. Not sure on the Ascend. Basically I am trying to decide whether to go with the Monitors from Dennis or the Monitors from Jim. Not sure what the differences would be between them as I do not know which midwoofer they would be using. Guess I need to figure that out!

A .75 cu cabinet would be too big for a RAAL MT monitor, since the woofer couldn't be any larger than 5.5". I didn't realize you had spoken with Jim. Since I would be designing the crossover whether you went with Jim or me, I would prefer you work through Jim. He's better set up to do custom cabinets, and his workmanship would be better than anything I could provide. I think you should go with a RAAL version of the SongSurround I's or II's. Since you're using a sub, I'm not sure there would be much reason to opt for the more expensive MTM II's, unless you need the extra sensitivity.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #164 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Basically I am trying to decide whether to go with the Monitors from Dennis or the Monitors from Jim. Not sure what the differences would be between them as I do not know which midwoofer they would be using. Guess I need to figure that out!

Price and aesthetics.

The Philharmonic will cost less, and the Salk's cabinet will be more custom made and more expensive.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #165 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

A .75 cu cabinet would be too big for a RAAL MT monitor, since the woofer couldn't be any larger than 5.5". I didn't realize you had spoken with Jim. Since I would be designing the crossover whether you went with Jim or me, I would prefer you work through Jim. He's better set up to do custom cabinets, and his workmanship would be better than anything I could provide. I think you should go with a RAAL version of the SongSurround I's or II's. Since you're using a sub, I'm not sure there would be much reason to opt for the more expensive MTM II's, unless you need the extra sensitivity.

Well there you go, Martycool007! The nice thing about Jim's company (Salk) and also Dennis' (Philharmonic) is that they'll build you whatever you want, provided you're willing to pay for it. Find me another company that'll do that for their prices. Their customer service never ceases to amaze me!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #166 of 4638 Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Well there you go, Martycool007! The nice thing about Jim's company (Salk) and also Dennis' (Philharmonic) is that they'll build you whatever you want, provided you're willing to pay for it. Find me another company that'll do that for their prices. Their customer service never ceases to amaze me!


Amen to that!!!!

Meaning what one says.....and saying what one means!!!

Almost a lost art as some provide good products, but.....when you received them and they get their money, you are long forgotten.

Thank you Jim and Dennis for proving them wrong!
woodsart is offline  
post #167 of 4638 Old 12-11-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Eternal Velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

It's quite true that instruments other than organ, piano (but not really--few pianos are clean down to their theoretical bottom fundamental of 27 Hz), bass drum, and contra basson don't produce fundamentals below 32 Hz. But woofers that reach down into the bottom octave will be flatter and cleaner in the 30-35 Hz range than woofers that are capable of some output at 32 Hz. Further, and this is controversial, I think orchestra halls produce subsonics below the fundamental, or perhaps just amplify the fundamental to the point where only woofers with lots of reserve in the 30 Hz range can reproduce the effect convincingly. All I know is that the Scan revelator clearly has more bass impact than the SB Acoustics unit on program material that in theory doesn't go below 30 Hz.

Very interesting. Do you think it's possible that the fact that both the TL and woofer are contributing near 30-35hz for the scanspeak, but mostly only the TL is contributing for the SB, is loading your room differently or maybe even "aiming the bass" in the right direction? I know bass waves at these frequencies are huge but i still think it's difficult to have a strong understanding of what's going on with them!
Eternal Velocity is offline  
post #168 of 4638 Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I can't believe I'm just discovering this thread.

Dennis, sounds like it's going well for you and the word is getting out about your excellent speakers. Congratulations. Tell Ben I said hello. I'm sure he's much bigger than the last time I saw him.

For anyone considering Philharmonic speakers, Dennis makes an excellent product and his integrity is second to none. In 2010 Dennis was a great help in my year long speaker search and at no time tried to "sell" me something. He was always very generous with his time and knowledge (am I embarrassing you yet Dennis).

Saturn94 is offline  
post #169 of 4638 Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I can't believe I'm just discovering this thread.

Dennis, sounds like it's going well for you and the word is getting out about your excellent speakers. Congratulations. Tell Ben I said hello. I'm sure he's much bigger than the last time I saw him.

For anyone considering Philharmonic speakers, Dennis makes an excellent product and his integrity is second to none. In 2010 Dennis was a great help in my year long speaker search and at no time tried to "sell" me something. He was always very generous with his time and knowledge (am I embarrassing you yet Dennis).

Hello Jim, thumbs up on that one!!!! He just hates this he he!! How are you doing?

I'll bet Ben is huuuuuuge by now!
woodsart is offline  
post #170 of 4638 Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The speakers look awesome but I'm having a hard time getting past the name. It reminds me of the old Ford Philco junk radios.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
flyng_fool is offline  
post #171 of 4638 Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Philharmonic.......fond of or devoted to music; music-loving:

.......since Dennis plays and is a member of the Washington Philharmonic Orchestra the name seems very appropriate.

I personally think it is a great name for speakers, regardless very surprised that no one else has come up with it.

Little old fashioned sounding.....maybe, but extremely suitable for this purpose, particularly when one hears their highly extriordinary crystalline reproduction of music!!!

Wow? that was pretty good (if I should say so myself), and just to think I hated english!!!

I think I am gonna like the possible choice for the Monitors too, (not yet decided): Philharmonitors!

Hearing is believing and I am pretty sure they would be available without the front logo, if you like!!!

Dennis aimes to please!!!
woodsart is offline  
post #172 of 4638 Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

The speakers look awesome but I'm having a hard time getting past the name. It reminds me of the old Ford Philco junk radios.

Actually, it reminds me a lot more of the old Fisher consoles they used to sell in department stores--500 watts peak power, Mediterranean or Spanish cabinets, ads with a 1950's blond in an evening gown leaning on the end with one arm, other hand on her hip, smiling, smiling. She probably had a photo shoot booked for a '57 Chevy Bel Aire hardtop after that one. I have a blond dog, but he won't sit still long enough for a photo.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #173 of 4638 Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis murphy View Post

actually, it reminds me a lot more of the old fisher consoles they used to sell in department stores--500 watts peak power, mediterraneam or spanish cabinets, ads with a 1950's blond in an evening gown leaning on the end with one arm, other hand on her hip, smiling, smiling. She probably had a photo shoot booked for a '57 chevy bel aire hardtop after that one. I have a blond dog, but he won't sit still long enough for a photo.

lol!

Saturn94 is offline  
post #174 of 4638 Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Actually, it reminds me a lot more of the old Fisher consoles they used to sell in department stores--500 watts peak power, Mediterraneam or Spanish cabinets, ads with a 1950's blond in an evening gown leaning on the end with one arm, other hand on her hip, smiling, smiling. She probably had a photo shoot booked for a '57 Chevy Bel Aire hardtop after that one. I have a blond dog, but he won't sit still long enough for a photo.

ROFL!!! OOOps changes everything about blonds!!!! He He!!!
woodsart is offline  
post #175 of 4638 Old 12-16-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Looks like I'll be receiving the Phil 2s around the 20th of January.
d_m1010 is offline  
post #176 of 4638 Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Looks like I'll be receiving the Phil 2s around the 20th of January.

Yeah, well, mine are running a little late as well, but I am patient....good things come to those who wait!!!

And, by then we will have a lot to talk about, right?

Or rave about!!!
woodsart is offline  
post #177 of 4638 Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post


Hearing is believing and I am pretty sure they would be available without the front logo, if you like!!!

Dennis aimes to please!!!

I definitely want the front logo.

I think the name "Philharmonic" will remind everyone of just music. Pure music.

Opposite of snake oil and golden ear.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #178 of 4638 Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I definitely want the front logo.

I think the name "Philharmonic" will remind everyone of just music. Pure music.

Opposite of snake oil and golden ear.

Agreed!!!! more definitions....Philharmonic.....

"a large orchestra; can perform symphonies".......The Phils can do that!!!

"composing or characteristic of an orchestral group".......Very absolutely!

"devoted to or appreciative of music"........Most def!!!!!
woodsart is offline  
post #179 of 4638 Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 379
They need a celebrity endorsement like from this famous conductor of the Boston Pops.


"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is offline  
post #180 of 4638 Old 12-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Lol:d
woodsart is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off