post #1831 of 4690 Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

For what it's worth, I have gotten my speakers to "disappear" to various levels. There seems to be many factors involved, and not all of them are related to the speakers themselves. It's complicated to say the least. However, I have never heard a speaker completely disappear for all tracks and all frequencies. Still, it is something I strive for.

When I heard the Phil 2's in Nuance's room, I was thoroughly impressed with the perception of depth in the sound stage. I wasn't able to listen enough to determine if the effect came off as realistic or not, but it sure sounded great. I'd need to spend some time with them to really know. Too bad there seems to have been an issue with them not performing up to what they're capable of...

+1

I think a lot of it has to do with placement. If I change the toe-in of my desktop monitors just an inch the imaging changes significantly. Of course, in this situation that close to my ears I don't have room reflection to deal with - which in itself contributes significantly to the experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 4690 Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

And that's the thing. I can't get over how great they sound. It isn't something specific, but they are simply intoxocating.

That is a very good word! Intoxicating.....also euphoric, excited, exhilarated, high, stimulated, dizzy, ecstatic, elated, infatuated and enraptured.

I get a little caught with mine too!!!
post #1833 of 4690 Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Yeah, I have the same problem, when I close my eyes!

The Phil2s also, just listening to a SACD jazz album one of the 5 samplers I ordered through amazon and the 2s really seem to have no "point of sound" directly from each speaker.

I agree they image very well among other things!

I've wondered when we were going to see some multi-channel music reviews from you. By my best guess you've had those first SACDs for a few days now. Much longer and we're going to have to charge you a hefty tax to get back in the club

I'm thinking that rear wave is going to do the most justice to live recordings, either 2 channel or multi, but I'm guessing with multi the concert hall effect will be greater.

Out with it Robert! Don't hold back.

post #1834 of 4690 Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I've wondered when we were going to see some multi-channel music reviews from you. By my best guess you've had those first SACDs for a few days now. Much longer and we're going to have to charge you a hefty tax to get back in the club

I'm thinking that rear wave is going to do the most justice to live recordings, either 2 channel or multi, but I'm guessing with multi the concert hall effect will be greater.

Out with it Robert! Don't hold back.

Ok if I must....I like 'em!
post #1835 of 4690 Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Liked: 59
No new Phil pics since page 49....rough

Well aside from that dude who keeps posting pics and youtube vids of his wall of sound
post #1836 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

Well aside from that dude who keeps posting pics and youtube vids of his wall of sound

You mean the fire hydrants? I bet Ben peed on them before Dennis shipped those Phil 3s

post #1837 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

You mean the fire hydrants? I bet Ben peed on them before Dennis shipped those Phil 3s

Why.........you...........I thought I smelled something funny.

I won't post any new pictures or videos for about 10 weeks. That'll be when I get my new shiny red dual Funk Audio 18.0 subs.

Then I'll shoot Matrix style.
post #1838 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

...... I find that my Salk's midrange does sound cleaner when I'm not asking the mid/bass drivers to provide all of the deep bass. I suppose it's just simple physics and lower distortion, but who cares, it just works. I personally can't listen without EQ'd subs in my room. I've tried all too many times to get away from subs, but what I have now is the best I've ever had.......

Same experience here with my HT2-TLs.

post #1839 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
TJHUB's system still remains the best in-home audio system I've heard. He really has it dialed in.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #1840 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Why.........you...........I thought I smelled something funny.

I won't post any new pictures or videos for about 10 weeks. That'll be when I get my new shiny red dual Funk Audio 18.0 subs.

Then I'll shoot Matrix style.

You could shoot matrix style......or just turn the bass way up and have it look more like a Michael Bay movie instead, everything bouncing and vibrating and falling down in that little room You may even get something to explode
post #1841 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Hey J,

I would like to play around with the Servo, but for now, I have the poly about 1/3 and will keep it that way until I get the center which Del has been completed and will soon be sending it to Dennis'.

At that point I will experiment further with positioning and fill. And, I have not missed having a sub with the Phil2s, so I might not need one or like one in the mix...dunno yet! Mabe TJHUB's idea may be something to work toward in the near future.

Please don't tell me I have to get a sub eq'er!!!
post #1842 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Hey J,

...so I might not need one or like one in the mix...dunno yet!

Blasphemy!

Quote:

Please don't tell me I have to get a sub eq'er!!!

I don't have one.

I did try SVSs sub EQ, but didn't like the results. I'm tempted to try something like the Velodyne SMS1 that allows manual control. My processor does have an adjustable sub filter, perhaps I'll play with that sometime.

That said, I pretty happy with the bass response I have right now without the EQ, so I'm not very motivated to dive in sub EQ yet.

post #1843 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

Blasphemy!

I don't have one.

I did try SVSs sub EQ, but didn't like the results. I'm tempted to try something like the Velodyne SMS1 that allows manual control. My processor does have an adjustable sub filter, perhaps I'll play with that sometime.

That said, I pretty happy with the bass response I have right now without the EQ, so I'm not very motivated to dive in sub EQ yet.

I have the ASEQ1 SVS eq with the ht subs, but the two 2 channels with the phils don't have any eq and they sound pretty darn good.
post #1844 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
I use an SMS-1 with mine. Gets bass response pretty damn flat.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #1845 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Speaking of Salk--I spent the day in Deeeeeeeeeeeetroit (well, Novi) Michigan at the Audio Karma Fest. Jim was introducing 3 designs I did recently--the 8" version of the SoundScapes, a monitor with the OEM RAAL tweeter and the ScanSpeak Illuminator 6" woofer, and a tiny monitor with a 5" Seas Excel woofer and the old reliable 0W1 tweeter. Electronics were by Frank Van Alstine, who was there as well. I got a chance to hear some of the competition, and to hear the Salk designs in stereo in a very large room. I was gratified that people seemed to appreciate the open-back midrange approach. When Jim fired up the new SoundScapes with Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man, there was a round of applause. They are more expensive than the Phil's, but the cabinets are works of art. I'm sure my cabinet dude could produce work like that if I paid the entry fee, but then Jim's already doing that.
post #1846 of 4690 Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the info, Dennis; I wish I could have made it.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1847 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

They are more expensive than the Phil's, but the cabinets are works of art. I'm sure my cabinet dude could produce work like that if I paid the entry fee, but then Jim's already doing that.

Your black satin cabinets are just great Dennis.
post #1848 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

When Jim fired up the new SoundScapes with Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man, there was a round of applause. They are more expensive than the Phil's, but the cabinets are works of art. I'm sure my cabinet dude could produce work like that if I paid the entry fee, but then Jim's already doing that.

I can vouch for Delmond 's cabinet work. Excellent shiny piano high-gloss work.

Salk is a single piece cabinet vs Phil is 2-piece cabinet. Also different shapes. Different aesthetics will appeal to different folks.
post #1849 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

post #1850 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Speaking of Salk--I spent the day in Deeeeeeeeeeeetroit (well, Novi) Michigan at the Audio Karma Fest. Jim was introducing 3 designs I did recently--the 8" version of the SoundScapes, a monitor with the OEM RAAL tweeter and the ScanSpeak Illuminator 6" woofer, and a tiny monitor with a 5" Seas Excel woofer and the old reliable 0W1 tweeter. Electronics were by Frank Van Alstine, who was there as well. I got a chance to hear some of the competition, and to hear the Salk designs in stereo in a very large room. I was gratified that people seemed to appreciate the open-back midrange approach. When Jim fired up the new SoundScapes with Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man, there was a round of applause. They are more expensive than the Phil's, but the cabinets are works of art. I'm sure my cabinet dude could produce work like that if I paid the entry fee, but then Jim's already doing that.

What is that new monitor with 6" ScanSpeak & RAAL called? I can't find it on the website. Do you have any info on that monitor?
post #1851 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by yveletnik View Post

What is that new monitor with 6" ScanSpeak & RAAL called? I can't find it on the website. Do you have any info on that monitor?

The only other info I've seen is that it's $3500.
post #1852 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

The only other info I've seen is that it's $3500.

So it's an HT1 with a better woofer? Or is there more differences?
post #1853 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pete (PAD/Big Red Machine) told me it would "put your SongTower's to shame." Now I have some thinking to do.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1854 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

The W18 in the ht1 digs deeper, but i bet the illuminator is more linear when driven hard.
post #1855 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 10
So I got a chance to stop by at Dennis's place and listen to the Phil-2 that he got back from WI. There was another gentlemen (John) there checking out the 2s while I was there and he had quite a collection of CDs to test. He might post his opinions here too. We were there for about 2 hours listening to different generes and I did not see any problem whatso ever with the midrange . We heard tracks ranging from Jazz to instrumental, pink floyd and a track with focus on female vocalist (some spanish CD in SACD) and it was crisp and clear with an amazing soundstage.

I saw the physical damage which was on the corner but I didnt seem that bad to be honest.

I just wanted to post here since I heard the Phils after the wire was soldered back by and I did not see any problem at all. It sounded exactly as I remember it when i first auditioned the Phil
post #1856 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was a one-off we did for a dude who lives in NYC in typical crowded quarters and can't accommodate a large speaker. Jim played it at AKF because he liked the results, but he didn't think anyone would be interested in such an expensive small 2-way. I was pretty amazed when I heard it--I was never all that impressed with the Illuminator line of ScanSpeak woofers. They're very expensive and very inefficient. Plus, they don't go any lower than the slightly cheaper (but still $$$$$$$) revelator series. But the bass was very full in Jim's large demo room, and they had a relaxed but still open sound that was very easy on the ears. Are they SongTower killers? Naaaa. I think the ST's have slightly more detail and are way more sensitive. But if space is at a premium and you have the cash, they're very nice monitors, if I do say so myself.
post #1857 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb120 View Post

So I got a chance to stop by at Dennis's place and listen to the Phil-2 that he got back from WI. There was another gentlemen (John) there checking out the 2s while I was there and he had quite a collection of CDs to test. He might post his opinions here too. We were there for about 2 hours listening to different generes and I did not see any problem whatso ever with the midrange . We heard tracks ranging from Jazz to instrumental, pink floyd and a track with focus on female vocalist (some spanish CD in SACD) and it was crisp and clear with an amazing soundstage.

I saw the physical damage which was on the corner but I didnt seem that bad to be honest.

I just wanted to post here since I heard the Phils after the wire was soldered back by and I did not see any problem at all. It sounded exactly as I remember it when i first auditioned the Phil

Thanks for your impressions. I think we need to write the Wisconsin GTG as a fun social event that got cursed full-throttle by Murphy's law. Was it the amp? The midrange wire connection? The phases of the moon? All I know is that the Phil that I got back from Wisconsin, with wire re-attached, sounds exactly like I wanted it to sound. And azb120 liked them well enough to buy them. Onward.
post #1858 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your impressions. I think we need to write the Wisconsin GTG as a fun social event that got cursed full-throttle by Murphy's law. Was it the amp? The midrange wire connection? The phases of the moon? All I know is that the Phil that I got back from Wisconsin, with wire re-attached, sounds exactly like I wanted it to sound. And azb120 liked them well enough to buy them. Onward.

Sure did..I didn't think the cosmetic damage was major ..nothing that can't be easily touched up...and they sure sound great to me.
post #1859 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb120 View Post

Sure did..I didn't think the cosmetic damage was major ..nothing that can't be easily touched up...and they sure sound great to me.

Congrats!
post #1860 of 4690 Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Congrats!

Thanks..will post pics of my setup and I am sure I will have more questions. BTW do you guys use the Audyssey with Phil's ? Isn't the crossoverd optimized without the this technology ?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page