College Party Speakers (Durable) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Crank the jbl's and you'll get complaints. Anything worth doing... Why get a speeding ticket for just one mile over the limit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjanomi View Post

I'm almost a little scared of a sub. My roommates have been warning me of noise violations haha. Bass carries far...

The jbls should have enough bass by themselves. Any clue what the guy you bought them from was powering them with?

Subwoofer be prepared to spend around 280 for something like the Lava lsp12 which is $287 with avs forum never discount.

Bass does carry far and that's what got me switching back to my smaller 8" sub in my apartment. You can get isolation platforms to cut down on vibrating the whole apartment. Though honestly I bet the jbl's will get the job done for you
post #33 of 34 Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Guess I'm too late....but For party speakers, the last thing you want is a surround sound system. I would Have gone with powered PA by JBL, Peavy etc. And daisy chain them. From there, invite your guest to bring their own mp3 players and set and forget. Advanced programs with DJ features in an IPad for example will give you all the flexibility you want. The stuff is bullet proof as they are made for professionals and the cheap mp3 players are more than sufficient in sound quality when partying. In the right size and placement, subs are unnecessary.

All sound from each speaker should be mono which is ideal for parties with everyone moving around. Dump the receiver idea. They are totally unnecessary for this use and prone to abuse. You will have total individual volume control over each speaker and all the flexibility you could hope for. Our group does this (we all have a couple of the PA speakers) in the business we are in and for parties, it works great.

Powered JBL Eons on stands and strategically placed would do the trick, but a
plethora of other choices that sound as good but heavier if you done't have to move them much. Other brands from Behringer for example, sound very good and are much cheaper for example.p The only other option I would consider is a cheap mixing board with an EQ.
post #34 of 34 Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Liked: 10
Back in the day I rocked all the parties with two Cerwin Vega VS-100s. I still have them, but they need new surrounds. They are 96db efficient and get loud. A couple of those and a modest 75 to 100 rms stereo amp will be enough to get you plenty of noise violations. They will keep the partying college kids happy. Shouldnt be more than $100 a pair on craigslist. Thats what I would do. I won the loudest dorm room award when we had a decibel contest freshman year.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page