KEF q500 vs. q700 - first speakers (hi-fi newbie) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-22-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

First job, new apartment, and some extra cash. Budget is around $1k for a pair. I went and got myself a good deal from accessories4less - Q500 for $700 a pair. My living room is of moderate size, very open like a studio style loft. Basically, its a big room with kitchen, bedroom and living room all built into one on the 28th floor

So my question is this - Q500 is a good choice or are they pretty small? Shall I shell out another $250 and get the bigger 6.5" Q700s?

To me, aesthetics are as important as the sound. I know. I know. So, KEF's walnut trim is elegant and I couldn't find any other decent looking walnut trimmed speakers in $1k range. Suggestions?

Would appreciate your response - My order ships on 25th July from Acessories4Less.com. Forgot to mention - I bought Denon 2112CI amp to go with these bad boys.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-22-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I would go for the Q900 in cherry.

Just get the flagship in the Q-series and never look back.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rs-Each/1.html

The measurements for the Q900 on Home Theater Mag is fantastic.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Q900 Review in September Stereophile with more measurements.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4 of 11 Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Q900's are around $1120 for a pair and are little out of my budget. Let's see if I can squeeze the pocket a little bit. I'll definitely go for Q700's if nothing else. Thanks Any more opinions?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Review in September Stereophile with more measurements.
Sweet.

Look forward to it!
post #6 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i was in the same situation as you. I actually was comparing the psb t6 with kef 500, because they are in the same price range. but I then heard the q700, and it blew me away, I then heard the q900 and it was extremely good. If the q900 is out of your budget, then definitely go with the q700. You wont be disappointed.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

I just sent them an email to replace Q500s with Q700s instead. I think Q900s are way too big and bulky and ofcourse, out of my price range.

Important question - Will my Denon AVR-2112CI drive the Q700s sufficiently? The AVR hasn't shipped yet as well and I could cancel it if its worth upgrading or going for the Onkyo receiver.

Please advise. Thanks!
post #8 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Hopefully I can help out a bit, decided to sign up because as I noticed most on here tend to be recommending to step up to the 700's, where as I actually prefer the sound of the 500/100's and budget was not a concern.

I did numerous auditions with the 500's/700's side by side, and while there are gains to stepping up to the 700's, you definitely do losing something as well, and most on here are not disusing that fact.

I am no 'audiofile', so I don't know all the fancy lingo, but i'll try.. The 500's (5.25 mid size) are more 'tight' and 'accurate', and give you more detail. The 700's do 'open up' the sound due to the larger drivers, but they become less detailed, although they do give you a larger sound. This is especially evident when you listen to a live acoustic type recording, and the detail of the instruments. You also have amazing accuracy with the 500's, and this is most noticeable when you listen to just the front right and left, you will swear the centre is on. Same go's for the 700's, just less so. Also very noticeable when you sit 'off axis', not directly in front of the sound stage.

Now if your concern is the bottom end, yes the 700's do give you a little more kick, but not by much, and would recommend a subwoofer with either the 500's or the 700's. I feel like what your sacrificing in the mid-top end by going to the 700's for more bottom end, is simply not worth the sacrifice when you can make up for this with a sub, and keep the detail and accuracy of the 500's.

Then again, this is all based on a smaller/mid type rooms size, I can see how if you have a larger room, that you may want the larger mid size for fill, and that type of sound I described from the 500's may not be what your after when you yourself are listening, and so the 700's may just be what your looking for.. Best thing to do is to A/B test them side by side on the same A/V receiver, and definitely cover all different genres of music while listening. Also want to mention that I made sure they were all auditioned on Yamaha AV's, as this is what I knew I would be running, and I would recommend doing the same.
P.S. - Watch out for lazy salesmen that don't want to swap speakers to a different receiver in the showroom etc., give your money to one that actually cares about you finding your perfect sound, not just an easy sale.

Initially I was biased against the KEF's because of how they look to be honest (shallow I know) but once I closed my eyes and heard them, it's that type of sound that puts a perma-smile on your face, and was sold smile.gif
I run the Q500's, Q200, Q100's with a Definitive Technology Sub on a Yamaha RX-V1800 and the sound is incredible.

Hope I helped a little as I'm new here : P
post #9 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'd get the best you can comfortably afford.

If aesthetics matter to you look into Monitor Audio RX-6 cool.gif

Good luck!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pples View Post

Hopefully I can help out a bit, decided to sign up because as I noticed most on here tend to be recommending to step up to the 700's, where as I actually prefer the sound of the 500/100's and budget was not a concern.

I did numerous auditions with the 500's/700's side by side, and while there are gains to stepping up to the 700's, you definitely do losing something as well, and most on here are not disusing that fact.

I am no 'audiofile', so I don't know all the fancy lingo, but i'll try.. The 500's (5.25 mid size) are more 'tight' and 'accurate', and give you more detail. The 700's do 'open up' the sound due to the larger drivers, but they become less detailed, although they do give you a larger sound. This is especially evident when you listen to a live acoustic type recording, and the detail of the instruments. You also have amazing accuracy with the 500's, and this is most noticeable when you listen to just the front right and left, you will swear the centre is on. Same go's for the 700's, just less so. Also very noticeable when you sit 'off axis', not directly in front of the sound stage.

Now if your concern is the bottom end, yes the 700's do give you a little more kick, but not by much, and would recommend a subwoofer with either the 500's or the 700's. I feel like what your sacrificing in the mid-top end by going to the 700's for more bottom end, is simply not worth the sacrifice when you can make up for this with a sub, and keep the detail and accuracy of the 500's.

Then again, this is all based on a smaller/mid type rooms size, I can see how if you have a larger room, that you may want the larger mid size for fill, and that type of sound I described from the 500's may not be what your after when you yourself are listening, and so the 700's may just be what your looking for.. Best thing to do is to A/B test them side by side on the same A/V receiver, and definitely cover all different genres of music while listening. Also want to mention that I made sure they were all auditioned on Yamaha AV's, as this is what I knew I would be running, and I would recommend doing the same.
P.S. - Watch out for lazy salesmen that don't want to swap speakers to a different receiver in the showroom etc., give your money to one that actually cares about you finding your perfect sound, not just an easy sale.

Initially I was biased against the KEF's because of how they look to be honest (shallow I know) but once I closed my eyes and heard them, it's that type of sound that puts a perma-smile on your face, and was sold smile.gif
I run the Q500's, Q200, Q100's with a Definitive Technology Sub on a Yamaha RX-V1800 and the sound is incredible.

Hope I helped a little as I'm new here : P

And you resurrected a 2yo thread for what purpose? rolleyes.gif

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #11 of 11 Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 467
subscribed: reports received and posts deleted

please limit posts to technical issues

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page