Outdoor Speakers For Parties - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to be living in an apartment with 7 college students. We have a 30x12 foot patio on the ocean that we want to turn into a dance floor.

We want loud, hearing damage inducing speakers with lots of bass, and we want the bass to be "clear" - sometimes at parties I hear muddy/distorted sounding bass and I hate it. We will mostly be playing house/dance.

We want them to be durable. We can mount them in the air if we have to so no one falls or spills a drink on them. These won't remain outside so they don't have to be weatherproof. We'll take them out for the party, and bring them in when it is over.

If we get big enough speakers, do we need a sub?

Could we also use these indoors? We have an approximately 20x10 foot living room.

I'm completely new to all of this. Do I want powered or unpowered speakers? What must I look for in an amp if I get unpowered speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The least expensive route to what you have described is a pro audio syetem.
If my goals were the same as yours, I would go to a store (in my area) called Guitar Center and tell them the requirements.
I am pretty sure they would recommend something along the lines of a 1000 watt crown amp (there are many other inexpensive pro amps), JBL pro speakers http://www.amazon.com/JBL-PRO-JRX115...1427553&sr=1-1 and a small field mixer.... all of this would cost around $1k out the door.
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...x?FId=19&MId=3

The interface of home electronics to pro audio gear is a bit of a pain, but to achieve what you have described using home audio amps and speakers will cost many thousands of dollars.
If you buy everything from the beginning in the pro gear world you can get there much cheaper.

Regards,
Charlie

post #3 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Bic RtR-EV15
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-RTR-EV15-E.../dp/B003H3L76I

With sensitivity of 96db they can be easily driver to loud volumes with great sound

A dedicated stereo amp like the hk3490 with 2x 120watts you'll have plenty or power

Make sure to get some banana plugs for easy disconnect of speaker wire making moving the speakers a breeze
post #4 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM

First off I would like to say that I'm a huge lurker in AVS forum when I need some help on different things. In the interest of keeping this thread going, I too am in need of some guidance in this particular area requiring big sound for outdoor parties, I am adding to this thread a request for info. in order of importance.
  • loud
  • good bass for fast paced music, i.e.system of a down, etc w/occasional hip hop style music
  • clear sound

my price range is $1000 for speakers, amp & mixer w/set up for ipod hookup

thanks
post #5 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelies7 View Post

First off I would like to say that I'm a huge lurker in AVS forum when I need some help on different things. In the interest of keeping this thread going, I too am in need of some guidance in this particular area requiring big sound for outdoor parties, I am adding to this thread a request for info. in order of importance.
  • loud
  • good bass for fast paced music, i.e.system of a down, etc w/occasional hip hop style music
  • clear sound

my price range is $1000 for speakers, amp & mixer w/set up for ipod hookup

thanks

At a pig roast I went to recently they had a Fender Passport 150 Pro speaker setup that really surprised me with the performance of the system I was amazed. If I need a portable outdoor party speaker set I would go with those. But they weren't really pushed to their full potential as it wasn't a dance party as it was just someone's back yard

I just went to visit my fraternity from college and they have upgraded their system to
-B52 MATRIX1000V2 Powered Speaker System
and
-Numark iCDMIX2 Dual CD Mixer System w/ iPod Dock
I am generally not a fan of PA speaker systems and I was very impressed

Another place with great PA speaker packages at a decent price I found these
http://www.123dj.com/a_packages.html
post #6 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 07:42 PM

I was thinking:
Cerwin Vega Pro speakers
Pyle 4500 amp
then decide on a mixer w/some kind of ipod hood up.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM

I was thinking: Cerwin Vega pro-audio speakers
and this for amp" Pyle 4500 amp
then find a mixer with ipod hook up
I could probably gather this up for about a grand right?
How about a mackie speaker referral?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelies7 View Post

I was thinking:
Cerwin Vega Pro speakers
Pyle 4500 amp
then decide on a mixer w/some kind of ipod hood up.

I like Cerwin vega speakers but you are paying alot for the name there

Stay clear of pyle amp they are piles of crap

The B52 Matrix 1000 is a pretty decent set-up when I heard it. Here is the opinion/review of a mobile DJ with the same set-up He dj'd a party with it for 250-300 people with just that system. and raves about this system

Might want to go to a local Guitar Center as they have great PA speaker sets set up so you can demo them

Try craigslist if you don't mind used speakers as you can get amazing deals there
post #9 of 13 Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The most durable best sounding PA (outdoor ) would be Technomad. Built for the military & used by cruise ships, theme parks etc. Also take a look at QSC K series or KW for a ready to go solution thats a good deal for powered/dsp, quality "loud" speaker system.

http://www.technomad.com/
post #10 of 13 Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Check out these hilarious videos. Speakers really are extremely well built & sound very good for their intended applications.

http://www.technomad.com/products/movies/
post #11 of 13 Old 10-15-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I'll address some things below, but an obvious red flag that I see is the availability of power. If you only have 1, 15a circuit for power outside, getting the wanted output will be difficult without tripping that circuit breaker. Why? Because you will need power for subwoofers and mains, and I'm not talking about power from an AVR, but dedicated pro-amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingisfun69 View Post

I am going to be living in an apartment with 7 college students. We have a 30x12 foot patio on the ocean that we want to turn into a dance floor.

We want loud, hearing damage inducing speakers with lots of bass, and we want the bass to be "clear" - sometimes at parties I hear muddy/distorted sounding bass and I hate it. We will mostly be playing house/dance.

Well, if you want loud clear bass, be prepared to,
1) have multiple subwoofers AND
2) use large horn loaded subwoofers. In the DIY section, look at the F20 horn. Four of those will work well for your needs...actually they're tuned a bit low, but will still work very well. Otherwise, Bill F. has subwoofer plans that are tuned a little higher and are a little more efficient.

Quote:

We want them to be durable. We can mount them in the air if we have to so no one falls or spills a drink on them.

For sound reproduction, that's a bad idea. Having the subs on the ground puts them in a 2pi environment if they're not up against a wall (1pi if they are up against a wall). Putting them in the air puts them in a 4pi environment (2pi if up against a wall) That means you lose 6db of output due to a lack of boundary reinforcement.

This is yet another reason why large horn loaded subs will be a great idea. The woofer driver is completely enclosured inside the enclosure, so there's no way people could spill drinks on it. And because it's so large, when laid down, it works as a small stage for girls to dance on...because no man should ever dance unless his feet are getting shot at.

Quote:

If we get big enough speakers, do we need a sub?

Absolutely. Multiples subs are a must.

Quote:

Could we also use these indoors? We have an approximately 20x10 foot living room.

Yes, MKtheater on here uses four of the horn loaded subs I had in mind and is selling them.

Quote:

I'm completely new to all of this. Do I want powered or unpowered speakers? What must I look for in an amp if I get unpowered speakers?

You can go either route on the speakers. If you go unpowered with the speakers, you will likely want to look at a cheap pro amp like the Behringer EP2000.

Example of possible speakers (there's more) that will work for you.
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...?PId=267&MId=3
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ource=3WWRWXGB
plus amp.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHEP2000

YID DIY
post #12 of 13 Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Just doing some rough math.

Speakers:
JBL JRX 115 (x2) = $700

Amps:
Behringer EP4000 = $350 (for subs)
Behringer EP2000 = $300 (for mains)

Subs:
Four F20's = $750
or
Two Tuba 60's = $800

Preamp/AVR:
Up to you.

Total:
$2100-2150 plus reciever and you have to build the subwoofers yourself.

YID DIY
post #13 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Just doing some rough math.

Speakers:
JBL JRX 115 (x2) = $700

Amps:
Behringer EP4000 = $350 (for subs)
Behringer EP2000 = $300 (for mains)

Subs:
Four F20's = $750
or
Two Tuba 60's = $800

Preamp/AVR:
Up to you.

Total:
$2100-2150 plus reciever and you have to build the subwoofers yourself.

I will go start a new thread with my specific needs. Thanks everyone for their input. I have been doing some research & will start the new thread to discuss it.
thanks
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page