What are speaker spikes for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. I have floorstanders and they sit on carpet. They came with speaker spikes. What are spikes for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
link ..

http://www.audioholics.com/education...019s-the-point

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Also, the user's guide that was provided with the speakers may provide recommendations.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Contrary to popular myth carpet spikes were originally designed to prevent even tiny amounts of speaker movement on a carpeted floor. The theory was that any speaker movement in equal and opposite reaction to the movement of the driver muddied the sound. They were never intended for isolation. For isolation you use an isolation pad of one sort or another. How much (if any) difference spikes make is a matter of conjecture.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1) they elavate
2) they reduce movement
post #6 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. Did you guys notice a difference when you installed spikes on your speakers?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Never compared. I have a down-firing sub. I have carpet over hardwood floors. I just installed the spikes as recommended, set the sub in the sweet spot and it hasn't moved since 1998.

IMO, use padded feet or spikes. Whatever works/sounds best to you in your home. Try both and report back with your findings.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Never compared. I have a down-firing sub. I have carpet over hardwood floors. I just installed the spikes as recommended, set the sub in the sweet spot and it hasn't moved since 1998.

IMO, use padded feet or spikes. Whatever works/sounds best to you in your home. Try both and report back with your findings.

I am installing them right now. One thing I WILL appreciate, even if they dont effect SQ much, is that they will make my towers taller. Which I like.

Also, 1998? Most audiophiles get GAS quickly. I admire your fight to not upgrade hehe
post #9 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach View Post

I admire your fight to not upgrade hehe

Why fix what ain't broke?
post #10 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM

I had DCM TF series in my "main theater" for 18 years. I upgraded receivers 6 times.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach View Post

Interesting. Did you guys notice a difference when you installed spikes on your speakers?

I have soft thick carpet with rubber underlay and my speakers rock quite easily with the slightest touch without spikes on. So I always use carpet spikes to get down to the floorboards underneath... and I can also use them as a way of making sure my speakers are straight and level.

With carpet spikes on, they are quite firm and steady when you push on the top face of the speaker. I think it helps make the sound a bit more dynamic... but it could be just psychological. However, many small improvements here and there add up to a better sound at the end of the day.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

I have soft thick carpet with rubber underlay and my speakers rock quite easily with the slightest touch without spikes on. So I always use carpet spikes to get down to the floorboards underneath... and I can also use them as a way of making sure my speakers are straight and level.

With carpet spikes on, they are quite firm and steady when you push on the top face of the speaker. I think it helps make the sound a bit more dynamic... but it could be just psychological. However, many small improvements here and there add up to a better sound at the end of the day.

Yep. My Speakers now sound more dynamic. The bass is tighter as well. Spikes are definitely worth it.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

My Klipsch Cornwalls have been in continuous use since about 1970, sans spikes .. don't think they had even been invented back then .. have gone thru 2 wives, still have the Cornwalls ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page